Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness is a 2022 TV anime adapting the manga by Asano Rin. With animation production by Encourage Films (Etotama, Isekai Cheat Magician, Love Rice series), it's directed by Oizaki Fumitoshi (Etotama, Merc Storia) with series composition by Yoshida Reiko (Blue Period, Non Non Biyori series).

Synopsis posted:

After learning his father has been hospitalized, Nagomu Irino returns to his Kyoto home for the first time in ten years. Eager to take over the family's Japanese sweet shop, he's instead asked to be a father figure to Itsuka Yukihira, an abandoned child his family has taken in to succeed the shop.

With its dual focus on wagashi (traditional Japanese sweets) and the relationship between the young female lead and her father figure, the series should appeal to fans of similar Dad SOL series like Sweetness and Lightning or Poco's Udon World while offering a glimpse of traditional Japanese culture and cuisine.

New episodes are available on Crunchyroll every Wednesday at 8:30AM PDT/11:30AM EDT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've been enjoying this more than i expected, though i did have an eye on it prior to the season starting. it has the hazy color palette not uncommon to these sorts of shows, but carries through on that vibe with a very muted presentation of its already low-stakes drama. ep1 hooked me with Nagomu coming to Itsuka's rescue at the station and improvising a goofy ad jingle for their sweets, but the "drama" of the other episodes has been what keeps the show rolling around in my head. the comedy and dadfeels are all there, but the rather muted takes on attempted doxxing (ep2) or Itsuka going missing (ep3) have their own charm. adding to that, there's ep3's baffling breakup misunderstanding between Nagomu and his ex, which is funny to think about hanging overhead as she's now added to the cast.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This show is nice and good. I'm worried about the Dad reveal though. What if he did end up successful but never bothered coming back to get her :ohdear:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

zero basis other than them just looking kind of similar, but i currently have my flag planted in the theory that the senpai who inspired Nagumo to take up guitar will be Itsuka's dad.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been wanting to read this for a while but there's only like 8 chapters scanlated. I guess nobody cared until the anime got announced.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

This show is very pleasant and like Dogsicle I'm finding it more interesting than I would have thought at first. Unfortunately I'm now looking at these ridiculously priced wagashi boxes you can buy online because I haven't had any of this stuff before. I'm assuming it will mostly be pretty shallow since the casual japanese viewer will be familiar but I love it when these shows go into some detail about this kind of thing

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Sleng Teng posted:

This show is very pleasant and like Dogsicle I'm finding it more interesting than I would have thought at first. Unfortunately I'm now looking at these ridiculously priced wagashi boxes you can buy online because I haven't had any of this stuff before.

Like the Bokksu stuff? I think you can use GIGGUK as a one-time discount on a box there if you want to give it a shot.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Isn't everyone just praying, hands and knees, that this doesn't try to pull a Usagi Drop?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I was worried at first until I saw the opening, or it might have been the ending for the first time. Kanoko features prominently enough I dont think it will be an issue at all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Isn't everyone just praying, hands and knees, that this doesn't try to pull a Usagi Drop?

no, my brain is normal

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally got to the new ep. Saki's crossdressing was handled pretty well, though it's a bit of a bummer it was so brief and tied to a twerp like Tadashi. they make such a fuss about the symbolism of the letter Nagumo wrote to defuse the situation that i fully expect Tadashi is so dumb he won't get the hint & this whole situation will come back to roost again. the relationships you have to hold onto for business reasons...

they haven't focused on him yet, but i liked the little bit of Nagumo consulting the other old guy who works in the back wrt Saki seeming off. just gives you a nice close-knit vibe to the store and the stories being told there.

i was less into the pool segment at first, but they packed quite a lot in there towards the end! Nagumo reminiscing about his senpai does give context on why he would've abandoned Itsuka at Ryokushou (he was familiar with it and Nagumo's family), and makes me interested to hear his thought process on the whole thing, eventually. the near-miss where Itsuka almost runs into him at the pool is almost comedic, but there's a sweetness to how she passes up her urge to investigate the concert to go with Nagumo on the waterslide. when we've just come off seeing her skip school and leave the city to follow a lead on her dad, it really shows how she's growing into this new family dynamic.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The song at the end of this episode was nice :)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I watched the first couple of episodes and I kind of want more sweet content because traditional Japanese sweets are amazing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The song at the end of this episode was nice :)

it would've been nicer subbed 😭

appreciated that this week kept the distance between Itsuka and her mom despite the timeskipping nature of the show, and Nagomu's relationship "drama" consuming half the women/girls around him while he remains platonic and oblivious is still a gag i enjoy. it's really starting to hit me that the show ends in a few weeks when it seems like they could do so well with another set of episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

drat, this week threatening to bring me to tears twice. getting a peek behind Nagomu's cheery exterior and how broken up he was about losing his Senpai, and then how Itsuka mistakes him for her dad when she's coping with the anniversary of being abandoned. at this point i have to assume there's a half decent reason her dad left but man, both Nagomu and Itsuka ended up in similar places with their relationship to him.

on a brighter note, Nagomu reliving how his high school years were basically a BL plot killed me, including: