Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best FF game?
FF4(2)
FF6(3)
FF13
FF15
Goku
View Results

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've never played a single final fantasy game.
I hope this helps you, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
did you beat the game yet op

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
FF15 was the only game I ever returned on Steam. Like, right after the tutorial, which I got a D- in twice. Third person action games, I just suck at them. If it were first person I might have only gotten a C-.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Archer666 posted:

XV is the best obviously. In which other game can I go on a road trip with my bros in a fancy car while all decked out in leather?
That's the one where it's more obvious than ever that the higher ups at Square Enix couldn't give the slightest gently caress about making jRPGs anymore and just put all their focus into making a "cool kids" simulator?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

i only ever played 8 from beginning to end.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

the best final fantasy is actually pokemon

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Perhaps the real final fantasy was our dissociative delusions we had along the way

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I haven’t played more than 10 minutes of any final fantasy game but I did finish two different dragon quests.

Was this the final fantasy that had a side quest that was just product placement for instant ramen? Was that a real thing or something someone made up on the forums?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

it was Calorie Mate , the game was Metal Gear Solid 3, and the mission (getting me to buy a calorie mate) was a success

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I played through part of FF13 while house-sitting but couldn't figure out how to transfer the save to my own playstation so all that progress was for nothing. I never even got out of the corridor section!

I did get the two sequels and enjoyed them. Surly moogles are the best moogles.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Marmaduke! posted:

I played through part of FF13 while house-sitting but couldn't figure out how to transfer the save to my own playstation so all that progress was for nothing. I never even got out of the corridor section!

I did get the two sequels and enjoyed them. Surly moogles are the best moogles.

There is no end to the corridor

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Dragon Quest has always been better.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

OPAONI posted:

Everything is so… stock in those games. Like they load up the computers at squareenix and rpgmaker loads up full of DQ assets.

I beaten like 9 of them.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I haven’t played more than 10 minutes of any final fantasy game but I did finish two different dragon quests.

Was this the final fantasy that had a side quest that was just product placement for instant ramen? Was that a real thing or something someone made up on the forums?

It’s real, but it was FFXV

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In FF15 your personal chef is eventually taken away and the only thing you know how to make is Cup Noodle. This is a very strong metaphor for something, or another.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never played any FF but I heard good things about it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Brother Tadger posted:

It’s real, but it was FFXV

I believe there was even cross promotion in Japan with FF branded actual Cup Noodles

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I liked FF7 Remake. It was honestly so much better than it had any right to be.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

OPAONI posted:

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Everything is so… stock in those games. Like they load up the computers at squareenix and rpgmaker loads up full of DQ assets.

I beaten like 9 of them.

sometimes you want a cliche thats executed super loving well. not everything has to be novel and full of twists imo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

zedprime posted:

In FF15 your personal chef is eventually taken away and the only thing you know how to make is Cup Noodle. This is a very strong metaphor for something, or another.

i had a personal chef????

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Elentor posted:

I never played any FF but I heard good things about it.

Not sure why, but I have a feeling you are not being 100% truthful with us.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad OP is playing the best final fantasy game. Also the worst one.

There are no medium games.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

That's the one where it's more obvious than ever that the higher ups at Square Enix couldn't give the slightest gently caress about making jRPGs anymore and just put all their focus into making a "cool kids" simulator?

It was the game that was given the DNF treatment of "You guys have hosed around for x numbers of years and produced these incomplete chunks of a game, lets staple everything together with store-bought assets, dump everything else and ship it". Only with twinks.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

How come in MGS all the batshit stupid names and terminology fill my heart with simple joy and in FF games (and KH as an honorable mention) they give me mini strokes

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 27, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crazyweasel posted:

How come in MGS all the batshit stupid names and terminology fill my heart with simple joy and in FF games (and KH as an honorable mention) they give me mini strokes

You like magical realism, not fantasy

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I liked FF7 Remake. It was honestly so much better than it had any right to be.

a lot of it is nostalgia for me, but the battle system being extremely fun goes a long way. i really dislike almost every other decision they made with that game which diverges from the original, thought the side content was pathetically bad, they didn't even expand midgar at all somehow, etc - but once i got over my annoyance at the last couple hours, i had a great time and will be back for more trash.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Zil posted:

Have you seen Blood Elves?

Yes. They are bulky, muscular dudes (though with some very nice and stylish hair options) who look like they weigh four times as much as Blood Elf women. The idea that they look even slightly twink-like is bizarre. Most games with even vaguely realistic proportions put guys that big all the way on the "large" side of the customization scale. They are only thin(ish) compared to the walking refrigerators the game is full of. There are pro wrestlers who don't look anywhere as overmuscled as Blood Elves, and I don't just mean the limber, high-flying ones.

Blizzard were cowards for bulking them up instead of using the actually elf-like original proportions, and it didn't even stop this dumb running joke.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 27, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
City of Heroes was truly ahead of the times when they included bulky fridge person as its own gender in character creation

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I like FF13 a lot. There's a lot of melodrama but what are you playing a JRPG for if not exactly that. They throw a lot of nouns at you right at the start and just kind expect you to pick up their meaning through context as the game progresses which I think can be a barrier for a lot of people going in. Personally I really like the characters, I think they're well rounded and interesting as long as you can stand the melodrama. I think that behind the abundance of nouns is some really good sci-fi. You learn all about these machine gods and how they rule society, both manipulating and providing for the population before ultimately waging war against them.

The biggest problem is that FF13 is boring as poo poo to play. The entire game consists of running down corridors and pressing A. It sucks poo poo. Some of the boss fights can be okay but the moment to moment gameplay of FF13 is just awful. A lot of people will try to tell you that Pulse is where the game opens up and it suddenly becomes good. They're all lying to you. There's a big open field you can run around but the main story funnels you immediately back down a corridor to mash A some more.The thing that people love about Pulse is that it lets you grind 0.1% drop rates for 0.01% stat increases and get achievement points for dozens upon dozens of hours.

If you can tolerate the gameplay, give it a go. I like the sequels better. 13-2 is entirely forgettable but has some cool ideas. Lightning Returns is a weird Majora's Mask-esque semi-open world semi-action dressup game and it's probably my favourite entry in the series.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i regret to inform everyone that ff games are far too weeb to enjoy, its a total cringefest from start to finish. thanks for listening

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
nice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
also, i have decided that FF13 is simply not good enough to bother using mmy limited time on earth replaying

instead, i shal be playing far cry 6

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

augh, light mode?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

precision posted:

also, i have decided that FF13 is simply not good enough to bother using mmy limited time on earth replaying

instead, i shal be playing far cry 6

The worst possible ending

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
far cry 6: instead of shooting brown people, it's now about brown people shooting. and also about shooting brown people.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zil posted:

Not sure why, but I have a feeling you are not being 100% truthful with us.

You're right, I think I played Final Fantasy: Vagrant Story but it's one of the side games I believe.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
When I was a poor college kid, I sold my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy to GameStop in order to have enough money to buy FF13 at launch. I sold the one with the metal case. Massive self own.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
far cry 6 is almost done downloading heck yeah

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's the one with rednecks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm not "Doing a bit " eithehr

the far cry games are awful, trash garbage for stupid moron idiot babys, and buddy, i am here for it every fuckin time