Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best FF game?
FF4(2)
FF6(3)
FF13
FF15
Goku
View Results

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
no it's the one with inmate #2 from trading places and takes place in not-cuba

there's 3rd person sections that make you walk around a fence to an entrance or exit of the 3rd person section. i'm not sure, i haven't played it but it sounds pretty rad

dumb snype :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's the one with rednecks?

No, it's the one with Giancarlo Esposito

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Franchise has two good games: the one with rednecks and the one with quest for fire cannibals

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

When I was a poor college kid, I sold my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy to GameStop in order to have enough money to buy FF13 at launch. I sold the one with the metal case. Massive self own.

Is that worth something now?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Franchise has two good games: the one with rednecks and the one with quest for fire cannibals

Far cry 2 was p good

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Is that worth something now?

Sort of. But the point was mostly that 1) I gave up 3 great games for one very disappointing game, 2) I’d actually like to replay through those games (the wii versions of MP1/2 are better).

I’ve wanted to replay them for awhile now. While the price isn’t as high as some other titles, it’s still more than what I’d want to pay for a game.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

let me know how far cry 6 is op

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i triied to play the finak fantasy but i couldnt get through cause all the tuggin and fantasizing :mrwhite:

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I like final fantasy it's good and fun I never played that one though. 5-10 all kick rear end for different reasons I never really played the rest maybe I should

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A friend in college commented to me once that while he liked playing video games, RPGs seemed like too great a waste of time and it’s always stuck with me

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
How do we get to three pages and nobody has come in to mention the best in the series yet.

It was 12. I reinstalled it a few days ago. Maybe this time I will finish it instead of getting sidetracked.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I literally forgot about that one when I posted.

It's somehow both ok and a fever dream where the star wars prequels are thrown in a blender with a dragonlance novel and a mobile idle game

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Valko posted:

How do we get to three pages and nobody has come in to mention the best in the series yet.

It was 12. I reinstalled it a few days ago. Maybe this time I will finish it instead of getting sidetracked.

12 had by far the best voice acting of any of the FFs, before or since. It's honestly quite bizarre how much it stands out in that regard. It's like one of the SE higher ups bonked his head on something and was like "We need to care about voice acting for this game!" and then bonked his head again right after and got resetted.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Devils Affricate posted:

12 had by far the best voice acting of any of the FFs, before or since. It's honestly quite bizarre how much it stands out in that regard. It's like one of the SE higher ups bonked his head on something and was like "We need to care about voice acting for this game!" and then bonked his head again right after and got resetted.

Great voice acting that sounds like it was recorded using a potato. Even the PC remaster sounds like poo poo so I guess they lost the original files when they compressed hell out of them for the PS2.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BONER X posted:

it's the exact same as every other far cry, there's literally nothing new about it

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I haven’t played more than 10 minutes of any final fantasy game but I did finish two different dragon quests.

Was this the final fantasy that had a side quest that was just product placement for instant ramen? Was that a real thing or something someone made up on the forums?

i actually just remembered i got through like half of crystal chronicles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BONER X posted:

its... good

i mean. well. im sure, in facct, that the plot is banana cakes nonsense pizza, and thats fine. i'm not here for that

i'm here for Skyrim With Guns, which is what this seems to actually be. its just a full on borderlands style RPG now. you're guns and your shirt have levels and stats and stuff. right away you can mod you gun with different ammo types for different enemies who are weak against different bullet elements (anti flesh or anti armor, basically think mass effect 2)

im not here to suck ubisofts dong or nothin but im not actually sorry i spent 30 bones on it, so far its totally good. i hope theres evil knieval missions in this one again

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i liked final fantasy XIII but it was a 60 hours and done kind of game. you kind of have to like fighting monsters because its like all you do in the game, oddly enough i had just come off of playing final fantasy 1 (on gba emulator) and it was bizarre how similar a gameplay experience it was. you can tell that the game was really cut down from what it was supposed to be because the development process went badly, the ps3 sucked, etc. they tried to make it be more of a proper game in final fantasy XIII-2 and the result was some kind of weird rear end final fantasy/mario 64 hybrid but i liked it

i got lightning returns as well but you start out and hope is suddenly now Voice In Your Ear Man from a bad action game so i got quite a sinking feeling from it and haven;t played any further. does it stay like that or is that just an early game fake out like how metroid prime 3 tries to pretend like it's halo at the start but then turns back into metroid prime later..?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The last one I played was 15 and quit about 10 hours in. The game looked pretty, but the combat system suuuuucked.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I’m going to try to turn this into the GBS JRPG thread because I’ve just finished yakuza 7:

Good game but a lot of the attacks felt weak and generic especially with the non-exclusive jobs. They should make more of them flashier and more like nanba’s pigeon magic and Booze breath attacks in the next game because those were loving perfection.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
that's just how i feel about 15

i keep wanting to see what happens in the story and explore more of the world and see what that hosed up mountain with the smoke is and stuff but i must be doing something majorly wrong with the combat because my guy just keeps getting one shotted by things and i get really tired of drinking potions or elixirs or whatever theyre called all the time. i feel like i should have gone through some kind of learning experience where i figured out how to do something beyond mashing the attack and teleport buttons but i dont know wtf

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

precision posted:

i have a confession

i have never actuallly beaten FF13. in fact, i've never gotten past the start of Gran Pulse, which i think means i either got 95% through the game or i only got 5% through the game. at any rate, i'm going to find out, and finally finish this game, because despite never finishing it, i legitimately think it is the best mainline FF game in terms of main cast and script

just waiting for it to finihs downloading rn. its on game pass

Sorry about your lead paint chip addiction.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

I played through FF15 recently. I was kind of disappointed that nothing that you do will prevent the world going to complete poo poo. Then I realized all Final Fantasy I've played have that same story line that the world starts reasonably nice but goes to complete poo poo and you're just trying to keep ahold of some part of it.

Feels bleak man.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
If you loved FF13 I have a game of similar story progression and world exploration that you may enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtiHla1dNg

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
What’s the name of the kickstarted jrpg made by the original Suikoden and Suikoden II dev teams?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

kntfkr posted:

the best thing anyone can say about ff13 is that square ripped themselves off bringing back tony umeda

Ah yes. The original Square concept of "Black man with an afro".

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

What’s the name of the kickstarted jrpg made by the original Suikoden and Suikoden II dev teams?

I think it's Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. Looking at the news for it, it seems like they're releasing a prequel (or whatever you call it) next month as a stretch goal.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nooner posted:

i triied to play the finak fantasy but i couldnt get through cause all the tuggin and fantasizing :mrwhite:

which final fantasy character is your top fantasy Nooner? (sorry couldn't say final that would be confusing)

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I have never been more disappointed in a game before than when I had purchased FF13 and played the first three hours.

Hevo
Jul 8, 2015

i've only played FF1, and i really liked it because it didn't have any dumbass catgirls or lalafells

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Hevo posted:

i've only played FF1, and i really liked it because it didn't have any dumbass catgirls or lalafells

I like swords

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I still like 7 the best, its kind of a mess but goddamn it they tried

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
also the endgame of 13 is the best part, but you literally have to get through the whole game first and most of it sucks

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Most of 13 is a bit of a slog and I don't think I've ever felt as strong of an urge to reach through my screen and slap a video game character as that game made me feel.

The sequels on the other hand? 13-2 has one of the most convoluted nonsense time travel story out there, and I found revelling in that madness rather fun. The third game is legit great for what it is.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

why does final fantasy like crystals so loving much

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

All in homage to the one true crystal, the JO crystal.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why the gently caress don't you??? Huh??

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
They could have just called FFXIV FF Farteen and they didn't it was right loving there

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Revins posted:

I still like 7 the best, its kind of a mess but goddamn it they tried

7 is good. But it's not the best. A lot of arguments on why it's the best and why it's just overhyped and awful seem to be based on people misremembering something they played when they were very young.

Example: Aerith isn't a meek, stereotypical healer so many people seem to remember. She's a goddamn badass, a bit of a bully, and very proactive the whole way through. Her death has nothing to do with her being the hero's love interest, and everything to do with being the single biggest threat to the antagonist's plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Methamphetamine was invented in Japan.