Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

blues fuckin sucks and is largely a vehicle for white suburban dads to awkwardly co-opt black culture that not even black people are into anymore and also they wear dumb hats while doing it

i walked in on my hyper white dad once, listening to blues in the lounge, staring sadly at the floor and nodding meaningfully

this is the same dad that hosed off when i was 4, has big boomer money, and spends his life getting drunk and riding harleys and doing whatever the gently caress he wants

it was very embarrassing and galvanised my distaste for the dadrock vibe

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Walrus posted:

check out 'kingfish ingram' if you want to hear good blues music coming out today

yeah he rules, his hey joe cover that he just plays in the corner of some bar is incredible, and he was only 15 at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQ87Al-huo

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

SRV is good though

i died from reading the op's posts but my ghost has returned to empty quote this

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Gentle Autist posted:

i walked in on my hyper white dad once, listening to blues in the lounge, staring sadly at the floor and nodding meaningfully

this is the same dad that hosed off when i was 4, has big boomer money, and spends his life getting drunk and riding harleys and doing whatever the gently caress he wants

Hes probably got really nice speakers

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

yeah he rules, his hey joe cover that he just plays in the corner of some bar is incredible, and he was only 15 at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQ87Al-huo

Right before the pandemic really hit I saw him play at a small venue, he walked through the crowd and ended up stopping in front of my gf and I and playing a solo that felt like it was like, for us. We were really into it. It was really an incredible experience actually.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
clapton sucks so bad

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

can elton john be on this list

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

ohnobugs posted:

can elton john be on this list

yes!

actually i like a bunch of his songs but memorializing princess diana is a loving scumbag move and worthy of scorn

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

kntfkr posted:

yes!

actually i like a bunch of his songs but memorializing princess diana is a loving scumbag move and worthy of scorn

IIRC they were fairly close friends, so I don't overly mind him repurposing one of his old songs as a a tribute on short notice.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Computer viking posted:

IIRC they were fairly close friends, so I don't overly mind him repurposing one of his old songs as a a tribute on short notice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Most of the things goons think are bad, are actually good.

Except Eric Clapton, gently caress him.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Bonzo posted:

The Slowhand era in the late 70s is his best work, and that's because J.J. Cale wrote fantastic songs. The album with BB King is good, but you could record BB taking a poo poo and it would be soulful. From the Cradle is OK as well, but its easy to have a hit album when you just cover old blues standards with tenured session musicians.

I saw SRV open for Jeff Beck in the late 80s and it was amazing.

love j.j. cale

as for Stevie I saw Texas flood, a Stevie ray Vaughn cover band, at the iron horse in Northampton in the 90s and they put on a amazing show... yes I just gave hype to a cover band :ohdear:

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 28, 2022

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
a lot of cover bands are good.. i mean when you think about it what are the odds you can play really well but also write great music? pretty low. so lots of people out there that can play great but its gotta be toher ppls stuff

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A few years ago I heard some people love Clapton, so I acquired a few of his songs online and played them.

They loving sucked.

That's my Clapton story.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

BigBadSteve posted:

A few years ago I heard some people love Clapton, so I acquired a few of his songs online and played them.

They loving sucked.

That's my Clapton story.

Hell yeah.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

Do you want to talk about this trauma a bit more? I have some time and I'm a good listener.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Buce posted:

Do you want to talk about this trauma a bit more? I have some time and I'm a good listener.

no thanks

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

He called his Cream-era guitar-settings his "Woman Tone".

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Eshah jesshia zhoo *bedwepdeddle dweep dweep dweep* zah zah baby do * bedle bedle bum bum bum*

The good poo poo

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Eshah jesshia zhoo *bedwepdeddle dweep dweep dweep* zah zah baby do * bedle bedle bum bum bum*

The good poo poo

picked the song straight away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_M9zWORBuA

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Was he Derek. Or a domino

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Pondex posted:

He called his Cream-era guitar-settings his "Woman Tone".

That's creepy af

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

when i was a youth, my parents didn't buy cable tv because it would ruin our brains and there wasn't a local music scene i was ever exposed to, so i didn't get much cultural exposure to pop music outside of a bit of radio. instead i could borrow my dad's tapes and later CDs of 60s and 70s rock. from his collection, i enjoyed a few hendrix, queen, doors, and pink floyd albums. he also had a cream album (greatest hits maybe? can't remember now), and i remember listening to it a bunch because i had read somewhere that if you like guitar music, if you like hendrix, you will also love clapton. and i was trying to convince myself that it was good... if i just keep listening to it, it will surely click.

but it never did. cream sucks, eric clapton sucks, and even a teenager with a totally undeveloped ear for music can tell it's trash.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Rather than talk about old musicians who don’t deserve the level of adulation they’ve received, let’s talk about those who are under-appreciated. I’ll start: Little Richard and Vic Chesnutt.

Edit: also Bo Diddley.

Chicken Butt fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 28, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Only whales make good music tbh

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Only whales make good music tbh

Can you please stop saying this in every thread. We get it. You like whale song. Quit spamming this poo poo everywhere.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Derek and the Dominos was almost a failure until they brought in Duane Allman to play guitar.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Can you please stop saying this in every thread. We get it. You like whale song. Quit spamming this poo poo everywhere.

OoooOOOoowooaaa hooooooooo *gruntclick*

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
would u know my name
if i killed u in heaven
pushed u out the window
once again ooooh yeah
baby baby baby

i'm crying these tears
the tears in heaven

~ericlapton

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Literally A Person posted:

whales are very erotic

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Luvcow posted:

whales are very erotic

Big lady, big love.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like the piano exit to layla

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Eric Clapton sucked my dad off at the dinner table and ruined Thanksgiving

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Eric johnson is a pretty good guitarist imo. most people who know him just know him from that one song he did but he made other songs too

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ziv Zulander posted:

Eric johnson is a pretty good guitarist imo. most people who know him just know him from that one song he did but he made other songs too

Yea, Cliffs of Dover is p good

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

i like the piano exit to layla

It was stolen from a Rita Coolidge demo, and played by a guy who killed his own mother with a hammer. Nice tune tho

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
"Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. loving wogs, man. loving Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and loving Jamaicans don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for gently caress's sake? Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"

-- Eric Clapton, 1976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The only good thing Eric Clapton ever did was to shut up on the piano coda of “Layla” so it could be featured nicely in Goodfellas when they start finding all of Jimmy’s hits.