Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hey, at least the Canucks can only drop one spot this year.

Technically they could still finish above Vegas in the standings, in which case they’d be guaranteed to at least keep their spot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Detroit has now gone 5 seasons without making the playoffs. their longest drought is from '71 to '77, 7 seasons. I can easily see them tying this record

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

first letter of each word

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh that’s tremendous lmfao

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Schremp Howard posted:

first letter of each word

:golfclap:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Totally worth it for whoever is getting fired and blacklisted tomorrow imo.

e: poo poo that's a photoshop isn't it

Still awesome

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Eric the Mauve posted:

Totally worth it for whoever is getting fired and blacklisted tomorrow imo.

e: poo poo that's a photoshop isn't it

Still awesome

Not a photoshop. Fan paid for the message.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/1519358063530106880

:lol: Silly Vegas, you can't do cap shenanigans when a player is IN the lineup.

Dude already forgot about team USA (women) doing exactly this at the Olympics, for two games even. It was a big deal and everyone said the coach was stupid and then they lost.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did you buy it and if not why

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's absolutely wild that that spindly man was not just an athlete but the best athlete the sport has ever and will ever know

I love hockey

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Did you buy it and if not why

Surely nobody would be foolish enough to not buy that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is the guy who bought it. https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/com...utm_name=iossmf zero chance they didn’t know what it meant when they ran it though, good on them.

Stars had a fun response tonight too it seems. https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/udi58y/the_dallas_game_tonight/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
lol welcome vegas

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/1403198722520068102

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
lol vegas

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
vegas going 0-for-17 across 3 consecutive shootout losses is incredible, and very hilarious. thank you for blessing us, hockey gods

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Pretty sure the Coyotes winning make the habs the biggest losers, so it's even better!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
jack eichel is cursed

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

goldrush posted:

lol vegas

Lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gently caress Vegas

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's absolutely wild that that spindly man was not just an athlete but the best athlete the sport has ever and will ever know

I love hockey

I remember reading that he performed crazy well on cardio tests. Man had a gas tank

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hell yeah welcome to the loser thread Vegas.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I love hockey

Not only the best athlete that hockey will ever know, but the best athlete any sport has ever seen aside from possibly Don Bradman. No one even comes close to his level of dominance in North American sports. I did a bigger post on Gretzky not too long ago and while he did play in a higher scoring era, he lead the league by an average of 70 or so points every year for a six year stretch. It is pretty difficult to fathom how much better he was than any other player in the history of the sport.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Not only the best athlete that hockey will ever know, but the best athlete any sport has ever seen aside from possibly Don Bradman. No one even comes close to his level of dominance in North American sports. I did a bigger post on Gretzky not too long ago and while he did play in a higher scoring era, he lead the league by an average of 70 or so points every year for a six year stretch. It is pretty difficult to fathom how much better he was than any other player in the history of the sport.

I can’t get over his tiny nipples in the picture.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lemieux wasn't spindly, though?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ThinkTank posted:

You don't know Bo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'd argue it is well past time blue blade holders made a comeback. also the clear ones probably.

ThinkTank posted:

Not only the best athlete that hockey will ever know, but the best athlete any sport has ever seen aside from possibly Don Bradman.

statistically dominating a niche sport does not greatest athlete ever one make (aside: cricket is not a niche sport)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone always says Lemieux managed all that while having cancer, as if Wayne wasn't also significantly handicapped from his full potential by being from Brantford.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Test Cricket only has 12 participating countries. Hockey has 59.

They are both niche.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's going to rule when the Knights are eliminated by Dallas losing to Arizona in a shootout.

:wrong:

I mean it did rule but in a somehow stupider way.

Stars gonna go into the playoffs with a -10 goal dif :lol:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Half the teams in the league make the playoffs so the last couple teams to make it having a slightly negative goal differential is probably common?

I just checked a few random seasons and nope it's actually really rare. The NHL has always been bottom heavy I guess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
In 2016 Ottawa was one goal away from making the finals as a negative goal differential team. Then there's Montreal last year who was a negative goal differential team and did make the finals.

So poo poo playoff teams do have some hope of making an improbable run

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

yeah but c'mon it's the Stars, when have they ever hotgoalied into a Finals run out of nowhere

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

American Football has two countries that play it so by that metric is the most niche sport imaginable.

bewbies posted:

statistically dominating a niche sport does not greatest athlete ever one make (aside: cricket is not a niche sport)

Gretzky's production is a full 5 standard deviations ahead of the average NHL player. 3 standard deviations can be expected to occur in 0.1% of cases. Five occurs in 0.000006% of cases or roughly one in 3.5 million. That's one in 3.5m NHLers, not just hockey players.

It is simultaneously true that hockey is a niche sport with a limited number of participants and that Gretzky is the absolute best player that has ever or could ever play the sport.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 28, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are more Quidditch countries than American Football so I agree.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Lemieux wasn't spindly, though?

I can find now shirtless pictures of Lemieux to verify this
though there are tons of pictures of supremely yoked old man Gordie Howe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm going to watch the final flyers game just to give it the proper sendoff

I actually can't believe this season was as bad as it was, even by Philly standards this was catastrophic and I am ready to embrace the sweet release of hockey death