Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
How do we know Lemieux's cancer didn't actually help him? Like how Daredevil's blindness improves his other senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

I'm going to watch the final flyers game just to give it the proper sendoff

I actually can't believe this season was as bad as it was, even by Philly standards this was catastrophic and I am ready to embrace the sweet release of hockey death

it's at home against equally trash rear end Ottawa in a Friday night death slot, there is going to be such a sense of nihilism in that game that I'm incredibly curious to see how it plays out

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's going to be fun watching the Devils overpay for a mediocre goalie

I guess mediocre is a step above outright disaster, but gently caress it let's tank one more year

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Test Cricket only has 12 participating countries. Hockey has 59.

They are both niche.

A billion people in India play/watch cricket, a full 1/7 of the world's population. Add in Pakistan and Bangladesh and you're almost up to one and a half billion.

It's not a niche sport.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

A billion people in India play/watch cricket, a full 1/7 of the world's population. Add in Pakistan and Bangladesh and you're almost up to one and a half billion.

It's not a niche sport.

Yeah but almost no Americans and therefore its not relevant because only America is allowed to decided what is good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
That's correct

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

American Football has two countries that play it so by that metric is the most niche sport imaginable.

Gretzky's production is a full 5 standard deviations ahead of the average NHL player. 3 standard deviations can be expected to occur in 0.1% of cases. Five occurs in 0.000006% of cases or roughly one in 3.5 million. That's one in 3.5m NHLers, not just hockey players.

It is simultaneously true that hockey is a niche sport with a limited number of participants and that Gretzky is the absolute best player that has ever or could ever play the sport.

Gretzky's absolutely the best hockey player of all time, but "best athlete any sport has ever seen" is something else entirely. Gretzky dominated a league populated mostly by upper middle class Canadians, which, while they are very nice people and very good hockey players, represent a teeny tiny pool of athletic talent relative to more popular sports.

I'd also argue that "number of participants" is a much more useful measure of a sport's talent pool than "number of countries that play it."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HookShot posted:

It's not a niche sport.

Yeah but they don't buy jerseys.

quote:

Gretzky dominated a league populated mostly by upper middle class Canadians

Oh yeah you don't see any of that in Organized Colonialism.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

goldrush posted:

vegas going 0-for-17 across 3 consecutive shootout losses is incredible, and very hilarious. thank you for blessing us, hockey gods
" it's not their fault... they practiced the shootout against Lehner" (Lehner famously made 0 saves in the shootout for Buffalo over an entire season, like he went 0-30 or something ridiculous)

Too bad, so sad Eich
https://twitter.com/jackeichel/status/1456281107004108803?s=20&t=AcnPhSvI_PFRe0sJjLebtA
https://cdn1-hfboards.mandatory.com/data/video/465/465851-3ea48d3801f78ec6931ed6635331ff55.mp4

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A front office so inept that they got fleeced by the Buffalo Sabres, while Kucheroving their best player for the privilege and missing the playoffs by a point.

I can't imagine how in the hell anyone in the front office can survive this glorious debacle.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is it still former Caps GM George McPhee running the show?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

A front office so inept that they got fleeced by the Buffalo Sabres, while Kucheroving their best player for the privilege and missing the playoffs by a point.

I don't know if they got fleeced by the Sabres. Eichel is still an exceptional player coming off significant midseason surgery. I expect he'll be a lot better next year. Tuch is better than expected but Krebs is a pretty average prospect. I'd still do that deal from the Knights' perspective every time. The subsequent cap cheating blowing up in their faces is really, really fun though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tuch is better than Eichel right now. I'd say he will probably always be better than Eichel, but playing for the Sabers broke Eichel and it'll break Tuch too, soon enough.

Cartoon Man posted:

Is it still former Caps GM George McPhee running the show?

He's the PHO I think

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

I don't know if they got fleeced by the Sabres. Eichel is still an exceptional player coming off significant midseason surgery. I expect he'll be a lot better next year. Tuch is better than expected but Krebs is a pretty average prospect. I'd still do that deal from the Knights' perspective every time. The subsequent cap cheating blowing up in their faces is really, really fun though.

Either the surgery worked and Eichel's going to bounce back, or Buffalo was right all along and Eichel sold himself as a bill of goods to Las Vegas.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Sens' current lineup heading into next season:

Brown - Stutzle - Batherson
Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Formenton - Pinto - White
Gaudette - Kelly - Watson

Chabot - Hamonic
Brannstrom - Zub
Sanderson - Holden
(MDZ - Zaitsev)

Forsberg
Gustavsson
(Murray)

The forward group would look pretty good on paper if they added another top-6 winger. With the progression this year from Stutzle and Batherson, it doesn't seem unreasonable for those 2 to be close to PPG players next year. Tkachuk and Norris are both proving to be dependable 60-70 point players, and Joseph was scoring at a good rate with those 2 before he went down with an injury. Adding another winger would push Brown down to the third line, and give the team three fairly good scoring lines. If Pinto doesn't work out as the third line centre, they have White waiting in the wings, assuming he's not bought out.

Feels like there might be some buyouts this summer, probably Murray and White. Buying out Murray would save the team $5m overall, and they've already signed his replacements in Forsberg and Gustavsson. I can also see Dorion trying to trade Zaitsev, since he's been replaced by Hamonic and he's got signing bonuses due in the next 2 years, though it would probably have to be an Arizona-type deal where he gives up an asset.

Defence is still pretty weak outside of Chabot and Zub, but if Sanderson can have a big year, the team might be alright. Brannstrom remains an enigma. He has some games where he looks like he takes over, and others where he's a clear liability. For a smaller offensive/transition d-man, he puts up almost no points. Getting rid of Zaitsev would be addition by subtraction. If Hamonic is pencilled in to take his place with Chabot, the team's likely better than they were to start this year, even though Hamonic's still pretty bad. MDZ is likely on the outside looking in, even though he had a perfectly respectable year - .5ppg in limited minutes in Ottawa, and over a PPG in the AHL, without looking like a liability defensively.

Biggest question, as it has been for Ottawa since Anderson left, is goaltending. If Forsberg plays like he did in the second half of this year, I can see them pushing for a wildcard spot. If he doesn't, it's likely going to be another finish like this year and last year, drafting between 8th and 12th.

Would have been really nice if they picked up a potential top-6 forward like Sillinger with their 10th overall pick last year, instead of wasting it on a worse Nick Ritchie / the forward version of Dylan McIlrath.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 28, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tuch is better than Eichel right now

I'm all for piling on the Knights but let's not go crazy here

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah in the Knights games I've watched Eichel has looked like a really good player getting back up to speed after missing nearly the entire season. If he doesn't put up 75+pts next year then maybe he's a letdown, but he was perfectly fine for the Knights given the circumstances.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tage Thompson on the other hand, now that's an interesting question. Does he still have another step up to him? How the gently caress did he put up this season because nothing at any level in his career suggested he had this in him, but he was an absolute monster in the games I saw him playing

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Isn't Eichel still the top scoring player on Vegas despite having played like 20 games for them or something? I vaguely remember hearing something like that from the commentators when I was watching them play a few weeks ago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Over the 33 games he played yes. Way down the list overall with 22 points.

I don't think it's controversial to suggest you'd rather have had Tuch than Eichel the past few months with Eichel still off the pace and avoiding contact like the plague. It's pretty much Phil Kessel Playing Center at this point and that's still pretty good but not what you're hoping for when you give up Tuch and tank your season Kucheroving your captain to game the cap for it. Placing a gigantic loving bet on Eichel's health and willingness to play a contract sport going forward is in character for Vegas at least.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/trentbuhler/status/1519506311100047361

holy fuckin poo poo this is rad

E: he even included hextall's bald spot lmao

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/TSN_PR/status/1519723229048451072?t=0GYGF6Ry6VfzlA67lEJADA&s=19

this season just keeps getting shittier :smith:

Beyak is definitely getting old and has trouble identifying players sometimes but I still loved him and we're going to miss him badly. They keep bringing dumbass Kevin Sawyer back to do color so I don't have high hopes for the next PBP guy they hire.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

omg I want this so bad

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

FBS posted:

https://twitter.com/TSN_PR/status/1519723229048451072?t=0GYGF6Ry6VfzlA67lEJADA&s=19

this season just keeps getting shittier :smith:

Beyak is definitely getting old and has trouble identifying players sometimes but I still loved him and we're going to miss him badly. They keep bringing dumbass Kevin Sawyer back to do color so I don't have high hopes for the next PBP guy they hire.

Leah Hextall loves Winnipeg. I'm sure ESPN would be okay letting her go.

I do agree it's a loss. I'll pick the Winnipeg feed to watch before most of the US options when I tune in.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

How is the Vegas cap situation going to look for next year? They have so many big name players signed, I can't believe it fits together without shenanigangs.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah you don't see any of that in Organized Colonialism.

Why are you bringing up rugby like that?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Carwash oval office posted:

How is the Vegas cap situation going to look for next year? They have so many big name players signed, I can't believe it fits together without shenanigangs.

CapFriendly has them about $1M over with 18 skaters signed. The only real loss from what I can see is Reilly Smith, Friedman mentioned in 32 Thoughts that there have been talks about signing him but that seems actually impossible. Vegas is probably going to need to shed a big-ish contract I’m the off-season, my money would be they just work something legal out for Dadonov.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Depending on how things end up with Lehner, they can probably be okay by trading Brossoit and running with Thompson as the full time backup, then dumping Janmark.

The athletic post mortem highlighted how much they need to dump DeBoer. The entire roster is basically fun and gun, and he's a very deliberate pace controlling coach.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
he didn't do well in Philly for reasons beyond his control IMO. but if AV can still do it, he'd be great for that team.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

DJExile posted:

this rules

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1519740112854298624?s=20&t=rY1WLsOaLPAlUlnE6QxQRg

The ref left the game. No word on his condition. I hope he's okay that's scary as gently caress.

e:

https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/1519771192114266112?s=20&t=rY1WLsOaLPAlUlnE6QxQRg

That's good. Still awful though. Poor guy.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Daily faceoff posted an oral history of the 97 wings team which is pretty great, especially since it features my favorite player as a child being an absolute dick
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/oral-history-the-1996-97-detroit-red-wings-season/

quote:

MCCARTY: I sat beside ‘Kozzie’ for 10 years. He’s the grumpiest man in pro hockey.

MALTBY: I was playing with Kozzie one time, playing my traditional North American style game, and he’s got two guys on him in the corner and I went into the corner to help him out. I remember going to the bench afterwards and he’s like, in his broken accent, “Separate, stay away! Stay away! I’ll give you puck. I’ll give you puck.”

MCCARTY: Every morning I would say, “Good morning, Kozzie.” He’d say, “Shut the gently caress up, Mac. Learn Russian if you want to talk to me.”

MALTBY: He was grumpy but as long as his clothing said Gucci or Versace or something along those lines, it didn’t matter. He thought he looked good.

SHANAHAN: Kozlov was just an incredibly competitive, talented, grumpy guy that almost embraced that he was like the ‘Archie Bunker’ of the group. He would never crack a smile but some of it was done with humor.

MCCARTY: We all love that guy to death because he’s an absolute warrior. You would miss him when he wasn’t around, because we always wanted that dark cloud, and the goal was to get Kozzie to laugh or smile.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
First time in forever I can remember feeling this hopeful about Ottawas future, enjoy it in hell Melnyk. Hopeful that his daughters sell the team this summer and the new owner cleans house, starting with the Pierres. I used to think Trent Mann did a decent job with the draft, but after literally every pick was wildly off the board and followed it up with terrible d+1 seasons, it’s clear some new perspectives are needed.

If there wasn’t a gigantic consensus of the top 3 picks in 2020 there’s no doubt in my mind they would have big brained the pick and taken like fuckin Cole Perfetti

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

I'm going to watch the final flyers game just to give it the proper sendoff

I actually can't believe this season was as bad as it was, even by Philly standards this was catastrophic and I am ready to embrace the sweet release of hockey death

Come to the playoff thread and cheer for the Florida Panthers and our boy Claude.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

he didn't do well in Philly for reasons beyond his control IMO. but if AV can still do it, he'd be great for that team.

AV is a control systems coach not a run and gun coach so that's kinda diagonal side grade

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the reality for Vegas is that they are no longer going to be three lines deep up front going forward. The harsher reality is that I don't think they can really even trust their Top 6. Marchessault and Pacioretty are getting kind of long in the tooth. Stone is turning 30 and entering into perpetually banged up territory. Karlsson stole a paycheck this year and is lucky Eichel was around to take the heat. Which leaves the giant question mark that is Eichel.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Simplex posted:

I think the reality for Vegas is that they are no longer going to be three lines deep up front going forward. The harsher reality is that I don't think they can really even trust their Top 6. Marchessault and Pacioretty are getting kind of long in the tooth. Stone is turning 30 and entering into perpetually banged up territory. Karlsson stole a paycheck this year and is lucky Eichel was around to take the heat. Which leaves the giant question mark that is Eichel.

Lessail ? That you ?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
William Karlsson owns for hitting 40+ goals once and then never coming close again, his career goal numbers: 2, 1, 9, 6, 43, 24, 15, 14, 11.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Alec Martinez and Alex Pietrangelo are 34 and 32 respectfully, and are gonna start taking steps back, and Pietrangelo has a full NMC through 5 more seasons. Pietrangelo will be 37 with a $8.8M cap hit and a full NMC.

Vegas has 2 full NMC contracts, and 6 M-NTC contracts and have traded away a lot of picks and prospects over the years, they're gonna have a hard time staying competitive unless they can develop a bunch of their 2nd round pick prospects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Dirty Burger posted:

William Karlsson owns for hitting 40+ goals once and then never coming close again, his career goal numbers: 2, 1, 9, 6, 43, 24, 15, 14, 11.

I'm not fully satisfied until we come full circle on the would you rather have William Karlsson or Josh Anderson debate.