Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Problem description: As the title says, Defender is blocking Edge from opening. I only use Edge to get a few points from searching Bing for the MS Rewards program. If I look in the Protection History for Defender, it calls it Behavior:Win32/Powessere.SA and links to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?name=Behavior%3aWin32%2fPowessere.SA&threatid=2147796557, which basically says "This generic detection for suspicious behaviors is designed to catch potentially malicious files. If you downloaded a file or received it through email, ensure that it is from a reliable source before opening it.". My suspicion is that Edge updated and Defender is "catching" some new behavior and thinking it is malware. Trying to google anything with "edge" and "virus/malware" or the name Defender spits out returns nothing useful.

Attempted fixes: I made sure Defender was up to date. Quick scan didn't find anything. Full scan didn't find anything either. Installed Malwarebytes, but it didn't find anything. Then I tried refreshing Edge from Apps & Features, since it won't let me uninstall it. Then I looked up how to force uninstall Edge, did that, then reinstalled from the MS Store. Still blocked.

Recent changes: Nothing I can think of. I haven't installed anything questionable or browsed any sketchy websites.

--

Operating system: Windows 11 64bit

System specs: Probably not relevant, but I built it myself. Ryzen 5600X, 16gb ram, Asrock B550M Pro4, EVGA 3060 ti.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I tried contacting MS text chat support and they immediately went to "just reformat, lol". I would suck it up if Windows Security actually found something when scanning but couldn't get rid of it. I still think it's a false positive since it flags it as a "generic suspicious behavior" with zero details, the only google hit is for their entry in their encyclopedia, actually scanning for it turns up nothing, and I haven't downloaded/installed anything sketchy.

Is there anything else I can do?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W11 is fully updated. Then you could do a full offline virus scan with defender.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Checked for updates and ran the Offline Scan, Edge still blocked.

I noticed it pops up a notification on startup as if I tried to start Edge, probably whatever service they run getting blocked. Also tried installing the beta channel of Edge, which starts without getting blocked, but at some point it starts popping up a message saying "Defender wants to reset your settings" every time it's opened. Really think it's just borked and I can't find whatever I need to delete to reset it.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and reformat just so I don't have to worry about it anymore. It's particularly annoying since I just did that recently to install Windows 11 in the first place, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to fix this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, when a new OS is released it seems there are always odd issues in the first year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I am both an idiot and a genius at the same time.

I started digging around to see what I wanted to back up before reformatting and spotted ChrEdgeFkOff, a script I was using to make windows use the default browser instead of Edge. Apparently Defender was tripping over that, because once I figured out how to uninstall it, Edge started right up. MS wants you to use Edge so bad they'll trigger their antivirus if you try to circumvent it.

Probably should have figured this out sooner, and I did consider this possibility at one point, but I thought I had used it before I reinstalled for Windows 11 and I couldn't google up the exact method I had been using. Pain in the rear end, but at least it's fixed now.