Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I would much rather the leafs play the Bruins, amazing story line and the Bruins are the worse team. Also gently caress the Bruins. Also gently caress Tampa for stealing the Toronto palette, I don't want to visually watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My heart can't take another Leafs/Bruins series.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’d prefer the Bruins too tbh, I don’t really believe that the matchup itself is cursed they were just a good team for a long time in the division. Tampa’s got the goalie, the depth, and it’s entirely possible their key guys were taking the regular season lightly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I honestly don't care at all who the Pens draw since I don't think they're favored against the Rangers or Panthers. Bring on whoever and maybe I'll get pleasantly surprised by the Pens hulking out of their torpor.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Congrats to the Dallas Stars for clinching a postseason berth in the most rear end backwards failing-upwards way possible: by blowing a three goal lead and losing in OT at home to the Coyotes.

Chuch fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 28, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So if you’re the Rangers, do you want to play the Penguins or the Caps in round 1? Cause the math could work out so that the final game of the season on Friday between the Caps/Rangers decides their opponent.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

So if you’re the Rangers, do you want to play the Penguins or the Caps in round 1? Cause the math could work out so that the final game of the season on Friday between the Caps/Rangers decides their opponent.

Caps, their goaltending is the worst of the playoff teams.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you hope to win the Cup you'd rather play the Penguins, the Rangers are likely to win either matchup but they're going to come out of a Caps series with a couple injured dudes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's a tough one. The Penguins are playing worse but are the better team than the Caps probably. They also are potentially entering the playoffs with Desmith as their starter since Jarry is hurt and may not be ready for round 1.

I'd probably say the Penguins but I mean it wouldn't surprise me if they gave the Rangers a scare or even beat them. There's still enough talent there to do that if they get their heads out of their asses.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins have 267 scored 226 allowed, the Caps are at 272 and 237. I know the fancies have a torrid love affair with the Penguins at 5v5 but in actual outcomes the Penguins' PP and PK are both better than the Caps' so the Caps come out as slightly the better team 5v5. With DeSmith instead of Jarry the teams are functionally identical and I don't know of any specific matchup issues that make one preferable to the other. So you'd rather play the one that doesn't have Tom Wilson on it.

Being afraid of the Penguins because they won Cups five years ago and have Crosby is completely irrational vis-a-vis the Caps who won the Cup four years ago and have Ovi. They're both fringe playoff teams (in the East at least) with bad goaltending.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 28, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Penguins have 267 scored 226 allowed, the Caps are at 272 and 237. I know the fancies have a torrid love affair with the Penguins at 5v5 but in actual outcomes the Penguins' PP and PK are both better than the Caps' so the Caps come out as the better team 5v5. With DeSmith instead of Jarry the teams are functionally identical and I don't know of any specific matchup issues that make one preferable to the other. So you'd rather play the one that doesn't have Tom Wilson on it.

On the other hand, Trouba and Miller full speed crushing him together would be pretty great.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ovechkin is also injured right now and not just "injured". Laviolette even went as far as to say he wouldn't have played two days ago if it were Game 1.

I think Washington can probably do a good enough job mucking it up against a better team and make it go 6 games but their goaltending is so bad.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Edit: nevermind I figured it out

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

I honestly don't care at all who the Pens draw since I don't think they're favored against the Rangers or Panthers. Bring on whoever and maybe I'll get pleasantly surprised by the Pens hulking out of their torpor.

I think Panthers if only because instead of getting ground down and losing 3-1/4-1/5-2 it could be 7-4 or 6-4 which is way more entertaining. If the Pens can get into a track meet style series with the Panthers they at least have a chance. A huge (missing) part to the Penguins and Sullivan's 'system' right now is odd man rushes. When they can create them (like against Toronto for example) that's when the Pens can look really good. 3rd man high teams that move as 5 man units really well like the Rangers and Islanders (different stylistically of course) is when the Pens really struggle because they can't not make some just bone headed bad mistakes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Caps, their goaltending is the worst of the playoff teams.

Yeah if I'm going to roll the dice on any opponent I'll take Samsonov

Also yikes at the Caps finishing with the worst home record in 15 years? :drat:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Don't really care who the Bruins play because every team in this playoffs (in the East anyway) is good enough to beat each other and it wouldn't be a surprise. All I'm really hoping for is for Toronto to lose in the first round again, for all the chicken little articles about the Leafs that get more and more hysterical with every year they fail.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I think there's very little chance the Caps make it out of round 1 either way, but I think those chances drop down to virtually nothing if they have to play the fancy cats.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm probably in the minority but I don't think the Panthers are all that scary. Their goaltending is Not Great and there's no guarantee they can outscore their problems in the playoffs against playoff teams. Boston beat them the other night and held them to 20 shots. The Lightning dropped 8 on them a few days before that. One of the stats I've heard bandied around about them is how they've had 28 (?) comeback wins this season which, sure, great job, but that also means you put yourself in a position you had to come back from 28+ times.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cup winning acceptability ranking. This is a final and definitive list.

1. Florida Panthers - they're fine and seem fun.
2. Washington Capitals - not #1 because of Ovi's Putin love but still mostly fine
3. Tampa Bay Lightning - unfortunately would spark the 'dynasty' debate
4. Pittsburgh Penguins - eh, who cares at this point?
5. Toronto Maple Leafs - definitely the least bad of the Canadian playoff teams to end the Canada cup drought
6. Nashville Predators - they exist that's fine
7. Carolina Hurricanes - not great but not bad. Kinda annoying. Employ DeAngelo.
8. Dallas Stars - they won't win but whatever. It would mean Benn and Seguin winning though.
9. Colorado Avalanche - Kadri will be fun but their ardent anti-pasta stance loses them a lot of points.
10. New York Rangers - seem fun but are actually the bad guys. Kreider in the playoffs is always a hoot.
11. St. Louis Blues - would be a lot higher if not for the idea that Binnington would have multiple cups.
12. Los Angeles Kings - Brown, Doughty and Quick with three rings each. Barf.
13. Boston Bruins - Boston.
14. Minnesota Wild - no no no not them
15. Calgary Flames - it would make a good friend of mine happy, otherwise terrible

That is the end of the list because it is not acceptable under any circumstances for the Edmonton Oilers to win the Stanley Cup.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
The only thing I take from that list that you're sort of somewhat kind of in a way cheering for Calgary.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

"definitely the least bad of the Canadian playoff teams to end the Canada cup drought" ... oh no wait, you're drunk.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If not my team, then it has to be the Panthers
all teams must build to chase the score

no more big, slow defenseman and "defense-first" forwards

Plus Joe and Giroux can have a cup, as a treat

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Boston beat them the other night and held them to 20 shots. The Lightning dropped 8 on them a few days before that. One of the stats I've heard bandied around about them is how they've had 28 (?) comeback wins this season which, sure, great job, but that also means you put yourself in a position you had to come back from 28+ times.

I get that take, but I wouldn't use those two games as great examples as the team have gone past that point of having the burning need to score at any cost. The Boston game in particular I don't think anyone on the ice was putting any real effort in, and the individual charts show a team that just wanted to get to the final whistle after a single period. Losing 2 guys in that game did not help matters at all, and they're not going to field them tonight or tomorrow just because. I'd rather they put a bit more effort in this week tbh, I'd like to take home the Presidents Trophy as I think they've fought hard all year and it's absolutely theirs for the taking. But it's their call going into the playoffs next week, so if they wanna relax back then so be it.

The Cats go down goals in very similar scenarios each time. We come out strong in the first period and pepper the goal like 6 times over the course of 5 minutes, then there's a turnover and the opposing team scores on their first shot. It's happened so many times it's almost as if we wait for that before the game even officially starts now. The other is they get stuck in a weird momentum loss that means we'll eat like 3 goals in the space of 2 minutes. I don't know what it is about the third though, that's when we hold the other team to like 4 shots and just ramp up the intensity in an effort to score on every shift - because each of the lines when healthy is very capable of scoring. Now obviously the big question is, in the playoffs can they get out of that way of play, and work out the other team in the series before their weaknesses get exposed or if it'll all go to hell. We've mixed up lines an awful lot throughout the season to work out where the chemistry lies, as said above the depth is fantastic, I feel on paper we should be able to keep things fluid and hard to predict but there's definite holes. Once again, going into the post season without Ekblad is a huge loss that worries me more than our unpredictable goaltending.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

"definitely the least bad of the Canadian playoff teams to end the Canada cup drought" ... oh no wait, you're drunk.

Ottawa isn't in the playoffs otherwise it would be them. All of the western Canadian teams would be dreadful including the Canucks. Montreal would be way too smug. So it's the Leafs by default. Their fans are pretty long suffering at this point so they score some sympathy points. It'll evaporate entirely if they win when I see how annoyingly full of themselves they become overnight.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My list feels like basically the opposite. Obviously I would like the Bruins to win but if not them, any team that hasn't won a Cup ever, or has a drought of at least 10+ years, would be fine with me. I don't want any of the Canadian teams to win but Calgary would be the most acceptable to me if one of them did. The one exception to the rule is I'd be ok with Tampa winning their third in a row. I won't be rooting for them, per se, but if they won it again I could acknowledge that it's cool.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

EL BROMANCE posted:

I get that take, but I wouldn't use those two games as great examples as the team have gone past that point of having the burning need to score at any cost. The Boston game in particular I don't think anyone on the ice was putting any real effort in, and the individual charts show a team that just wanted to get to the final whistle after a single period.

Oh for sure, I get this take too, but it's also true that Boston and Tampa aren't really playing for anything either and still played significantly better.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna put 20 bucks on the Stars winning the cup--if it happens I'll probably dethrone elon musk

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Florida teams should lose because if they win there will be a Ron DeSantis press conference about it.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Does the conn smythe winner still get to yell "I'm going to disneyland?" because that may have an impact.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Misanthrope posted:

Does the conn smythe winner still get to yell "I'm going to disneyland?" because that may have an impact.

Land is in Cali so it's fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

The Florida teams should lose because if they win there will be a Ron DeSantis press conference about it.

Hopefully to say that South Florida has become it's own state, and we're taking Orlando with us.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Cup winning acceptability ranking. This is a final and definitive list.

14. Minnesota Wild - no no no not them

That is the end of the list because it is not acceptable under any circumstances for the Edmonton Oilers to win the Stanley Cup.

I feel honored that the hatred of the Northwest division is still alive.

Right there with you for Calgary and Edmonton, but Colorado is at the bottom too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

I feel honored that the hatred of the Northwest division is still alive.

Right there with you for Calgary and Edmonton, but Colorado is at the bottom too.

Wes Walz extinguished the youthful spark of joy this sport once brought me.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Anyone not cheering for the Panthers (after their own team) is a monster. After their defeat in the 1996 Finals, they have yet to win a playoff series.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think the Panthers are all that scary. Their goaltending is Not Great and there's no guarantee they can outscore their problems in the playoffs against playoff teams. Boston beat them the other night and held them to 20 shots. The Lightning dropped 8 on them a few days before that. One of the stats I've heard bandied around about them is how they've had 28 (?) comeback wins this season which, sure, great job, but that also means you put yourself in a position you had to come back from 28+ times.

To that point their record in 1-goal games is absurd as is their OT record, neither of which is sustainable. Micah just posted the standings without “gimmick” OT points and it brings the Panthers down to the rest of the pack instead of the stratosphere. A lot of the team narrative is about goal ordering, if those points came from them getting ahead early in games and then blowing those leads and going to OT they’re not the “Comeback Cats” they’re… the Leafs, I guess.

I’ll still root for them when the Leafs are inevitably eliminated because they’re easily one of the more fun teams in the league and too many series have been awful grind-fests lately but I’d be surprised to see them go long.

Also speaking of matchups one thing I forgot to mention about the Leafs playing the Lightning is that John Cooper is going to pull Keefe’s underwear right over his giant head if they play each other. Sheldon Keefe got outcoached by Dominic Ducharme, the Leafs playing Cooper is going to be a biblical-level pantsing.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Mr. Kite posted:

Anyone not cheering for the Panthers (after their own team) is a monster. After their defeat in the 1996 Finals, they have yet to win a playoff series.

My second favorite team is whoever is playing the Oilers.... go Kings!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Panthers are a prime candidate for choking. Not choking in the sense that they will be bad in the playoffs; just may be not as good as they might look at first glance. I want them to succeed, but I could also see them out early.

Their defense is average and their goal scoring might not translate to the playoffs. And yes, they are only 4th in the East in regulation wins.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

My team is the Avs, so I hope for the Panthers to make it to, then get swept by Colorado in the finals this year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don’t care who wins as long as it isn’t Pittsburgh, New York, or Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Whenever Bob starts doing Bob stuff the Panthers are gone, it's really that simple. They can beat anyone but won't win 4 straight playoff series, and obviously their Loadsa Goals style is ill suited for a sport where holding hooking and interference are totally fine.