Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

My second favorite team is whoever is playing the Oilers.... go Kings!

imagine not wanting the BOA for round 2

Like imagine the dumb as poo poo things that would happen in that series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m imagining Milan Lucic tripping Connor McDavid along the boards and then just straight-up sitting on him for 2 full minutes while the Flames complete a line change and score, with the official emphatically gesturing good goal while garbage rains down from the seats

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

Anyone not cheering for the Panthers (after their own team) is a monster. After their defeat in the 1996 Finals, they have yet to win a playoff series.

On the one hand I absolutely love Giroux and would love to see my dude win a cup

On the other I have a seething hatred for Florida in general, so it's a struggle for me

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ThinkTank posted:

Cup winning acceptability ranking. This is a final and definitive list.

1. Florida Panthers - they're fine and seem fun.
2. Washington Capitals - not #1 because of Ovi's Putin love but still mostly fine
3. Tampa Bay Lightning - unfortunately would spark the 'dynasty' debate
4. Pittsburgh Penguins - eh, who cares at this point?
5. Toronto Maple Leafs - definitely the least bad of the Canadian playoff teams to end the Canada cup drought
6. Nashville Predators - they exist that's fine
7. Carolina Hurricanes - not great but not bad. Kinda annoying. Employ DeAngelo.
8. Dallas Stars - they won't win but whatever. It would mean Benn and Seguin winning though.
9. Colorado Avalanche - Kadri will be fun but their ardent anti-pasta stance loses them a lot of points.
10. New York Rangers - seem fun but are actually the bad guys. Kreider in the playoffs is always a hoot.
11. St. Louis Blues - would be a lot higher if not for the idea that Binnington would have multiple cups.
12. Los Angeles Kings - Brown, Doughty and Quick with three rings each. Barf.
13. Boston Bruins - Boston.
14. Minnesota Wild - no no no not them
15. Calgary Flames - it would make a good friend of mine happy, otherwise terrible

That is the end of the list because it is not acceptable under any circumstances for the Edmonton Oilers to win the Stanley Cup.

any canadian non-leafs fan that doesn't have the leafs dead last is actually a leafs fan. dumbass rankings with minnesota ? below boston?

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

heehee posted:

any canadian non-leafs fan that doesn't have the leafs dead last is actually a leafs fan. dumbass rankings with minnesota ? below boston?

I live in Toronto and hate the Leafs more now than I ever did when I lived elsewhere BUT. There's been a subtle undercurrent here of "maybe the Raptors are this town's team" over the last few years and it would legitimately be funny to watch this entire city get shut down for three days straight by the release of 50 years of pent up old Portuguese dude energy that'd happen if they ever won a cup again

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Wes Walz extinguished the youthful spark of joy this sport once brought me.

Yes, but the jokes on Minnesota. Now we have to listen to Walz on the broadcast. Not a spoiler, but he's terrible at it. I know I give Leah Hextall a hard time, but Walz is so much worse and he doesn't even call the game.

At least we can agree that Edmonton is the worst.

heehee posted:

I'll allow it from a Canucks fan. It makes much sense even if they did lose to Boston in 2011.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Good soup! posted:

On the other I have a seething hatred for Florida in general, so it's a struggle for me

So do those of us here in Florida :v:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m imagining Milan Lucic tripping Connor McDavid along the boards and then just straight-up sitting on him for 2 full minutes while the Flames complete a line change and score, with the official emphatically gesturing good goal while garbage rains down from the seats

This is poetry

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Honestly the Leafs consistent failure and the performative hatred from everywhere else in the country has probably worked too well against them, a lot of scorn has turned to almost-pity in the last little while and interest in the team as a legitimate contender is pretty drat low in this town compared to other years*.

Like, this team couldn’t buy a save for two months yet they’re still 4th overall and have the league’s top goal scorer, but I don’t think you can find a single person excited for them to go deep. Certainly not me!

*From what I can see anyway there’s more hype about the not-very-good-yet Raptors and the promise of a young Jays team that will surely be undone by the dead ball and mediocre pitching.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

fartknocker posted:

So do those of us here in Florida :v:

lol true

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

heehee posted:

any canadian non-leafs fan that doesn't have the leafs dead last is actually a leafs fan.
This is 100% correct

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

HookShot posted:

This is 100% correct

I live in Leafs country and while I still hope they blow another 3-1 series lead, Id still put up with them winning over both Calgary and Edmonton.

Alberta should not be allowed to have nice things. :colbert:

Also gently caress the Bruins and Wild, go Stars and Bolts.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

*From what I can see anyway there’s more hype about the not-very-good-yet Raptors and the promise of a young Jays team that will surely be undone by the dead ball and mediocre pitching.

The Leafs are the Demar/Casey era Raps. By any reasonable definition, they are a really, really good team, but unless/until they get over the hump, there’s no reason to care.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

The Leafs are the Demar/Casey era Raps. By any reasonable definition, they are a really, really good team, but unless/until they get over the hump, there’s no reason to care.

So you’re telling me the Leafs need to fire Keefe and trade Marner for some random superstar on the outs with their current club, couldn’t agree more.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Leafs fans intense doom and gloom makes them kinda lovable. Every other Canadian franchise that enjoyed a stretch as one of the top teams in the league developed a massive fanbase of cocky, obnoxious bandwagoners. Not the Leafs they, they seem to have declined in popularity if anything and there's such a sense of inevitably to the Leafs blowing it that I think I'd be genuinely happy for them if they finally got over the hump.

I guess 15 years living in Ontario has led to Stockholm syndrome.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I'm just glad that we get to lose to the two time cup Champions and not loving Boston again or even worse, the only team with a longer drought winning a round in the Panthers. I was certain that's where the universe was guiding things after the deeply depressing events of last playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Koopa Kid posted:

So you’re telling me the Leafs need to fire Keefe and trade Marner for some random superstar on the outs with their current club, couldn’t agree more.

The closest analogue to Kawhi would have been Eichel for sure

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I guess 15 years living in Ontario has led to Stockholm syndrome.

Yes. Very much so.
Calgary could win the cup and 95.734% of the articles on Sportsnet, etc would still be about Leafs.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

who's gettin this as their av LAS

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes. Very much so.
Calgary could win the cup and 95.734% of the articles on Sportsnet, etc would still be about Leafs.

The hyper focus of the media on Toronto doesn't bother me too much. It can be a bit corny sometimes but they're the biggest hockey market on earth and they're very good at the moment.

It was much more annoying when the Leafs were terrible and articles would be headlined "Leafs Lose Draft Lottery."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Go Fancy Cats!

Are we still calling them that? cuz that nickname owns.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm these nihilistic times, I choose to reject what my eyes show me and embrace optimism. Dallas gonna win the cup baby. GO STARS!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Who exactly is reading tsn and sportsnet articles about hockey anyway???

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cocaine Bear posted:

I'm these nihilistic times, I choose to reject what my eyes show me and embrace optimism. Dallas gonna win the cup baby. GO STARS!

GO STARS

ANARCHY

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i ain't spending :10bux: but i'll wear it proudly if someone else wants to stab it on me

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Reaves wasn't on the Rangers when DeAngelo was there.

drat I wonder what a possibly cause for enmity between two black players and an Italian guy from Jersey with this history might be:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
to be fair, the reason for him being suspended was 99% dropping gay slurs instead of racial slurs, but considering this dude is his dad:

https://twitter.com/DrewMacFarlane/status/1267657558350856192?s=20&t=vF1By3eFC7Vs-TQ0mUzGgw

i, uh, wouldn't be surprised if he's like the thousands of other New Jersey / Florida hockey guys who sound and act like that

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

This is what I find funny about the whole discussion on media coverage, I found network articles to be largely generic and aggravating even as a Leafs fan. I haven’t gone to the front page of Sportsnet or TSN for years in favour of team-specific sites, I only read articles from there if they’re linked into my feed and look interesting.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

This is what I find funny about the whole discussion on media coverage, I found network articles to be largely generic and aggravating even as a Leafs fan. I haven’t gone to the front page of Sportsnet or TSN for years in favour of team-specific sites, I only read articles from there if they’re linked into my feed and look interesting.

It’s not about the actual quality of the article, it’s about the other teams’ fans wanting better page placement when they’re doing really well. It’d be like opening up the the front page of ESPN and seeing more garbage about Chicago instead of the teams on the top of the division winning games. They’re so far out of it, give someone else some time. There’s this fixation on individuals or specific teams that means other impressive headlines get buried for the old teams even when they’re garbage.

It’s like a kid taking some new cool game to school and everyone fixates on the other kid that’s been bringing POGS to show and tell since 1993.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Sure, but once again:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
me? sportsnet is my main sports website

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/hockeynight/status/1519785249034616832

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Wow. I figured he would have a few more years in him. He's never really missed much time. I guess this year's injury made him think about his future health.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'll always remember Brown for going for a knee-on-knee and elbow-to-the-head at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibiT5DCeME

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brown was a staple on my EA NHL teams for a long time because he was tuned to steamroll people and he had hands
and I suppose that was true in real life too

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

deoju posted:

I'll always remember Brown for going for a knee-on-knee and elbow-to-the-head at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibiT5DCeME

He missed on the elbow to the head, but he sure did try for it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

GGGN!

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I don't even get what's going on in that drawing besides some weird vore thing.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
as if I hate the leafs more than the fuckin Oilers get real man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Canes/status/1519817226215477248

canes winning the cup imo