Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Don't really care who the Bruins play because every team in this playoffs (in the East anyway) is good enough to beat each other and it wouldn't be a surprise. All I'm really hoping for is for Toronto to lose in the first round again, for all the chicken little articles about the Leafs that get more and more hysterical with every year they fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm probably in the minority but I don't think the Panthers are all that scary. Their goaltending is Not Great and there's no guarantee they can outscore their problems in the playoffs against playoff teams. Boston beat them the other night and held them to 20 shots. The Lightning dropped 8 on them a few days before that. One of the stats I've heard bandied around about them is how they've had 28 (?) comeback wins this season which, sure, great job, but that also means you put yourself in a position you had to come back from 28+ times.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My list feels like basically the opposite. Obviously I would like the Bruins to win but if not them, any team that hasn't won a Cup ever, or has a drought of at least 10+ years, would be fine with me. I don't want any of the Canadian teams to win but Calgary would be the most acceptable to me if one of them did. The one exception to the rule is I'd be ok with Tampa winning their third in a row. I won't be rooting for them, per se, but if they won it again I could acknowledge that it's cool.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

EL BROMANCE posted:

I get that take, but I wouldn't use those two games as great examples as the team have gone past that point of having the burning need to score at any cost. The Boston game in particular I don't think anyone on the ice was putting any real effort in, and the individual charts show a team that just wanted to get to the final whistle after a single period.

Oh for sure, I get this take too, but it's also true that Boston and Tampa aren't really playing for anything either and still played significantly better.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There are a couple scenarios tonight where the Bruins can leap the Lightning for 3rd in the Atlantic, which means we'd get Bruins-Leafs again. That has the potential to be very funny but I kind of want the Bruins to stay where they are because I'd rather be on the Metro side of the playoffs. Although Tampa might be thinking the same thing...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Wonderllama posted:

Carolina is a good team; but we smoked them in the playoffs in a rarely competitive series last season so I’d love to see them again for that reason. Also, the bolts just seem to harbor a hatred for Carolina that just doesn’t exist for the leafs (yet?) so it should be more entertaining.

But I honestly don’t care who they meet, really.

I feel like Carolina-Tampa has better potential for a regional (well, semi-regional, I know they're like 500 miles apart) rivalry too. Both teams are good now and will continue to be good for the foreseeable future too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it rocks so much that 30 of the NHL's teams are playing tonight and almost none of them are playing their actual NHL roster

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want to see a '96 Cup Finals rematch (Avs-Panthers) more than I want the Bruins to win

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
kind of upset the capitals won a game. don't ruin this for the panthers you losers. no one wants you to win

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yea the caps played like, the best game they could. And it was still close. They will not be that good the whole series.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the scores in the Boston-Carolina games look more lopsided than the games have actually been, but I still think the Bruins are probably going to lose unless they win both these at home. They've eliminated Carolina in their last two playoff meetups (4-0 and 4-1) so it wouldn't surprise me if there's a mild chip on the Hurricanes' shoulders either. It also doesn't help that McAvoy and Bergeron are the only players who have really showed up so far.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I have absolutely zero interest in the Stars-Flames series, but it was nice to see they scored more than 2 goals combined tonight.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I feel like the media knows something about Bergeron that everyone else doesn't. It's the last year of his contract, and he's 36, but they all keep talking like he's definitely going to retire. "This could be his last game on home ice" etc. As far as I know he hasn't said anything about retiring so I'm not sure where it all comes from unless he just doesn't want it publicly stated yet that he's definitely retiring.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
all the players are actors. It's fake. Wake up sheeple.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Guess I won't be watching the playoffs anymore now that I know a shadowy cabal is pulling all the strings

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Can't wait for a few years from now when everyone is saying "I hated Marchand as a player, but he's a great analyst" because I'm like 99% sure that's going to happen.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I get being upset about the Capitals performance last night, but on the other hand, they've already won double the number of games I thought they would. And Samsonov looks like the goalie he's been touted to be. Small sample size blah blah blah

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

triple sulk posted:

PNC Arena sucks rear end any way

I had a nice time at the Hurricanes game I went to, the crowd is good and it can feel small (in a good way), but the stadium is definitely on the older/shittier end of the spectrum and there's absolutely nothing to do around it before or after the game, which is I guess why the fans tailgate.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Leafs had to pick up a win so they could lose in game 7

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
based on the way this series has gone, I think Carolina will win game 7 and score at least 5 goals

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
three game sevens on Saturday and I'm going to be in the middle of the woods :(

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I hope Carolina beats the Rangers and I also hope that Penguins fans keep having tantrums

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pretty stoked we get two regional rivalry matchups this round in Tampa vs Florida and Calgary vs Edmonton. I hope those series whip rear end and at least one player dies on the ice.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wow this is really going to change how I perceive Calgary

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
why is Tkachuk wearing a UVA jacket

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Tkachuk wasn't in the best shape by the end of his career and it's been over a decade since he retired. Not surprised he put on some lbs

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Battle of Florida, 2 thumbs down right now from me

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Tampa is boringly effective. They need to try panicking or making turnovers or somethin.

it rocks that two of the highest scoring teams in the league arent scoring any goals

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Maybe some years, but this year Bergeron was the best defensive forward by any metric you want to use (including "the eye test") and it wasn't really even close

https://theathletic.com/3249353/202...e-selke-trophy/

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

fits posted:

oilers, flames: 2 games, 23 goals
the other three series, combined: 6 games, 23 goals

big shout out to the oilers and flames for playing games that aren't boring

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Raleigh is like 100% north eastern ex-pats so making fun of fans for being southern doesnt really work. You should make fun of them for being nerds who couldn't hack it in any real major city in the mid-atlantic.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
surely Nazem Kadri, who gets suspended for being a shithead every year in the playoffs, did not do anything untoward.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

I think Tampa also might just be really good. Florida outchanced Tampa by a lot.

Yea I agree with this. Tampa's team defense, and especially Vasilevsky, were insanely good against the Panthers. A 49 save shutout against the most offensively talented team in decades is just wild. It was basically what the Caps did against Florida to give them fits, but with a better lineup top to bottom.

I was really hoping Florida would go further because high-scoring hockey is a lot more fun than a lot of the grindfests you get in the playoffs. but its easy to see why they lost when the game tightens up.

That being said I think at this point I'm rooting for a Carolina or Tampa vs Colorado final. I think either would be a good series and all the outcomes are fine to me. Canada is not allowed to win the Cup, gently caress the Blues, gently caress the Rangers.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Not rooting for the Oilers and chaos hockey through the Finals and begrudging boring grindfests in the same post. SMH

Colorado is averaging 4.5 goals a game

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Colorado games have averaged 6.5 goals/game.

Oilers games 7.2 or something like that. Chaos games baby

I don't want Canada to win a Cup so they're out. I would love an Edmonton vs Colorado WCF though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

FunOne posted:

Tampa has enjoyed a week off to recuperate vs.a rangers team that has played 14 games already this post season.

When was the last time someone won the cup playing all possible games?

2011 Boston went to 7 in the first, third, and SCF. They swept the Flyers in the second. Pretty close though. At the time they were the first team to ever win three game sevens en route to a Cup.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

MoaM posted:

It honestly sucks that Toronto poo poo the bed that night.

Florida - Toronto would have been insane.

Nah. First round loss was funnier.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

mennoknight posted:

it's just extremely funny to me that the Oiler faithful, who literally got into the 3rd round thanks to a similar "interpretation of the rule*" are now up in arms that it could happen to them. I don't know why I find it so funny.

*do not lecture me about how they would've won the series anyway because of Jakob Markstrom I am well aware

Yeah it's only an egregious breach of justice and bad interpretation of rules when it doesn't benefit your team

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
No it's not lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You're right, more like 2/3

Sorry that you're angry that I said something about Marchand once a couple of months ago. I'll try to post in a way that doesn't hurt your feelings from now on.