Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cup winning acceptability ranking. This is a final and definitive list.

1. Florida Panthers - they're fine and seem fun.
2. Washington Capitals - not #1 because of Ovi's Putin love but still mostly fine
3. Tampa Bay Lightning - unfortunately would spark the 'dynasty' debate
4. Pittsburgh Penguins - eh, who cares at this point?
5. Toronto Maple Leafs - definitely the least bad of the Canadian playoff teams to end the Canada cup drought
6. Nashville Predators - they exist that's fine
7. Carolina Hurricanes - not great but not bad. Kinda annoying. Employ DeAngelo.
8. Dallas Stars - they won't win but whatever. It would mean Benn and Seguin winning though.
9. Colorado Avalanche - Kadri will be fun but their ardent anti-pasta stance loses them a lot of points.
10. New York Rangers - seem fun but are actually the bad guys. Kreider in the playoffs is always a hoot.
11. St. Louis Blues - would be a lot higher if not for the idea that Binnington would have multiple cups.
12. Los Angeles Kings - Brown, Doughty and Quick with three rings each. Barf.
13. Boston Bruins - Boston.
14. Minnesota Wild - no no no not them
15. Calgary Flames - it would make a good friend of mine happy, otherwise terrible

That is the end of the list because it is not acceptable under any circumstances for the Edmonton Oilers to win the Stanley Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

"definitely the least bad of the Canadian playoff teams to end the Canada cup drought" ... oh no wait, you're drunk.

Ottawa isn't in the playoffs otherwise it would be them. All of the western Canadian teams would be dreadful including the Canucks. Montreal would be way too smug. So it's the Leafs by default. Their fans are pretty long suffering at this point so they score some sympathy points. It'll evaporate entirely if they win when I see how annoyingly full of themselves they become overnight.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

I feel honored that the hatred of the Northwest division is still alive.

Right there with you for Calgary and Edmonton, but Colorado is at the bottom too.

Wes Walz extinguished the youthful spark of joy this sport once brought me.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Leafs fans intense doom and gloom makes them kinda lovable. Every other Canadian franchise that enjoyed a stretch as one of the top teams in the league developed a massive fanbase of cocky, obnoxious bandwagoners. Not the Leafs they, they seem to have declined in popularity if anything and there's such a sense of inevitably to the Leafs blowing it that I think I'd be genuinely happy for them if they finally got over the hump.

I guess 15 years living in Ontario has led to Stockholm syndrome.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes. Very much so.
Calgary could win the cup and 95.734% of the articles on Sportsnet, etc would still be about Leafs.

The hyper focus of the media on Toronto doesn't bother me too much. It can be a bit corny sometimes but they're the biggest hockey market on earth and they're very good at the moment.

It was much more annoying when the Leafs were terrible and articles would be headlined "Leafs Lose Draft Lottery."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Leafs/Bruins would rule so hard

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Draisatl gonna pot 6 tonight

That would be doubly impressive as he'd be shooting from the press box.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer/status/1520095005351628800?t=AhpNoTIxqVuKnTpgId8qIg&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

I really do feel like Calgary could wind up in the SCF and the chances are non-trivial. They are really really good.

Given how stratified the league was this year, I wouldn't be at all surprised if any of the playoff teams won the cup this year. Except for Toronto of course that's not happening.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

There are few things better in life than waking up to a colossal Mike Smith gently caress up

They power my existence. I thought the Oilers looked pretty good outside of goaltending though (three of the Kings goals were really weak). Spence and Martinez were getting walked all night. I am not sure how a 20 year ended up matched against McDavid but it was bad.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

well guess the flames are taking it all sorry everyone

1-0 is the new 10-0.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sutter v. Bowness hockey is the worst thing I've ever seen.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

$3.6mx6 is a terrible allocation of cap space in a league with a rapidly shrinking middle class. He is fine defensively but provides an offensive contribution slightly above replacement. There are about 40 guys on the free agent market every year who can provide pretty much the same contribution as Goodrow for like $1m, just without the playoff pedigree.

He's fine now, but I'm sure the Rangers will want that $2m of extra cap space back when they have to start handing out second deals to players like Lafreniere, Schneider and Miller.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

One of the most shocking developments I have ever seen in my life is that the refs are actually calling hooking and holding and stuff. In the playoffs!!!

They do this every year for the first few games of the first round but the moment they get to elimination games the whistles travel to the shadow realm and are never heard from again

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHLGIFs/status/1523111369050103809?s=20&t=QcCFTz46hOFrK6yfukWq6w

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm closing my eyes and trying to picture Connor McDavid doing something as cool as throwing a game for gambling purposes and I just can't.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Should the NHL have the Hawks and Preds redo their series in case it was rigged?

No disrespect to the preds, I'm a firm believer that Nashville sweeping them was rigged and robs the Hawks of truly accomplishing what their capable of. I've spent the last few days in pure disbelief and it just doesn't make sense to me. I've spent the entire regular season watching the Hawks play great hockey it's just not fair.

If the Hawks lose again I will face that the Preds deserved the win, but I am just 100% sure it was rigged and does a big disservice to the Hawks and the NHL.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pros to rooting for one lovely team only: the rest of your life seems more pleasant by comparison.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wow really unfair for the league to punish the Kings like that by suspending Nurse.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darnell Nurse excels at being friends with McDavid and Draisaitl and isn't the power of friendship more valuable than any trophy could ever be? No.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Have we considered the possibility that Crosby was actually elbowhunting Trouba with his temple and the Rangers are the real victims here?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Triple header game 7s on Saturday is uh pretty cool.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Athletic is reporting that Crosby does indeed have a concussion

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Except for the years of success cumulating in the franchise's first championship after 45 years of waiting, what a waste the Ovechkin era was and will be for the remaining four years of his contract as he chases the all-time goals record.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Totally different sports and football has a postseason way more prone to flukes with its one-and-done playoffs. And again, I don't mean ovechkin himself I mean the inability to build a team around him that could succeed in the postseason.

Except they did! The Caps won a cup. Hockey is one of the most luck based sports on earth. The 2nd all time leading point scorer won a pair of cups as a bit part on the early 90s pens as a teenager then spent the remaining 22 years of his career when he emerged as the best winger in history wining nothing and returning to the finals just once aged 41. The NHL's sixth highest scorer Marcel Dionne never won a cup, in fact he appeared in just 49 playoff games over 18 seasons and never made it past the 2nd round. Ray Bourque, probably the 3rd best defenceman in history, had to be traded to a super team aged 39 before he finally won a Stanley Cup. The best player in the league today in Connor McDavid (and arguably since Lemieux) hasn't won squat yet.

I get that Ovi hasn't won as many cups as his archival in Crosby, but not many guys in history have. Ovechkin and the Caps have done petty well all things considered and statistically should've won like maybe one more cup. Overall I don't know how you can call the Ovi era anything other than a success unless your baseline expectation was "80s Oilers dynasty in the cap world somehow."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Another Bill posted:

He's right over there, talking to Carey Price

And Luongo. And the Sedins. And Sundin. And Iginla. And Oates. And Hawerchuk. And Perreault. It's really hard to win in hockey. Individual accomplishments have relatively little overall impact on a game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Close your eyes and picture the idea that your team is an even older franchise, has won no cups, never really appears in the playoffs and has never had a player even half as good or entertaining as Ovechkin. That is the hell in which Sabres and Canucks fans live. Be thankful for 2018.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I cannot believe they actually blew it again

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Jealous? You know why they're in their own sections right? And why there's no alcohol served in the venues. English football fan are the absolute worst.

Drinking in english football stadiums is just banned in the stands which makes it worse as people chug pints in the concourse in a rush to return to their seats.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Calgary please keep this up that ruled

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please stop making the Tkachuks so darn likeable.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why has Suter's strict defensive style become "flail around wildly and hope for the best" since the start of this series?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Mike Smith has been better than Jakob Markstrom

I think you'll find my food only horribly sickened 80% as many people as yours. :smuggo:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hell yeah murder hockey is back

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bewbies, what have you done?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Flames have been in full panic mode since the 6-6 goal in game 1.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

I posted this in the offseason thread last week, but I've worked on it some more and polished it up since then, and I want to share and show off this thing.

Scoreboard Watching

For when you miss a game, or part of a game, and you want to catch up on the results, but want a little more suspense than just checking the score would provide. It loads the actual play by play data from the NHL API and replays the game on a virtual scoreboard and ice rink. 100% spoiler free.

Ok thanks.

This is terrific and really highlights where the wheels started to come off for the Flames in the first before any of the goals the way a highlight package absolutely cannot.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please suspend Perron for the rest of the series. If that elbow had connected it would've been one of the most messed up situations in the sport since Dale Hunter hit Turgeon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is the price those Flames fans must pay for summoning that demon to get them past the Stars.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It's gonna be very tragic when Mcdavid blows through the west putting up like 50 points along the way and then gets slowly grinded to death by Tampa en route to their threepeat

You mean 'life affirming/hilarious,' correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Flames have been the far worse team outside of maybe three periods combined this whole series. I fully expect they will be out of the playoffs tomorrow.