Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SirPablo posted:

Here for the first round exit by the Wild.

Same. Go Blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

So if you’re the Rangers, do you want to play the Penguins or the Caps in round 1? Cause the math could work out so that the final game of the season on Friday between the Caps/Rangers decides their opponent.

Caps, their goaltending is the worst of the playoff teams.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Are we doing a predictions thread ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zat posted:

Just reminded myself how dumb this playoff format is.

First round in the West, in terms of overall ranking within the conference the matchups are:
1 vs 8
2 vs 4
3 vs 7
5 vs 6

It sucks that you have the #2 team playing #4 team, and #5 playing #6 in the first round.

Not to mention that in the 2nd round the #1 team will play the #2 team unless one of them gets eliminated first, just because they're in the same division.

But rivalries !

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fawning deference posted:

Nashville is a really fun team this year and even though the Avs are obviously likely to win the series, it could be tougher for them than people think. Josi/Duchene/Forsberg with Saros in goal plus Granlund/Johansen/Jeannot is a nice group.

But yeah Avs are winning.

Saros could be injured though….

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Trivia time! Who was in net for Columbus when the Caps played them in round 1 back in 2018? Columbus was up in the series 2-0, game three went to double overtime and the Caps pulled out the victory and would go on to sweep Columbus right on out the door.

Grubauer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Simplex posted:

The NHL needs to investigate whatever freaky Friday thing is going on with the Blues and Wild, where the Blues are now the entertaining skilled team who probably aren't good enough, and the Wild are filled with lovely cheap shot artists.

Blues have Buch, Saad, Tarasenko, Thomas and Kyrou as skilled non cheap shot players.

Blues just also don’t have any good defensemen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I want to see a '96 Cup Finals rematch (Avs-Panthers) more than I want the Bruins to win

This is absolutely what I want too. Panthers Aves.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Evander Kane's working out pretty well for a guy with a massive gambling problem and domestic violence allegations that probably shouldn't have been working out well currently in the NHL, huh?

I mean, no one said he was not a good hockey player. Plus, he has to know there’s a lot of scrutiny on him right now and he is essentially playing in a contract year. He has a lot of incentives to not be a piece of poo poo.

That said, he is absolutely a horrible person and shouldn’t be playing in the NHL.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No lie, I had a few sentences written out before I realized I was replying to Kawilamus and it’s like, oh yeah duh.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

Yeah. Least concerned about Gaudreau. It’s Fiala and to an extent Boldy who are not pulling it. You can forgive Boldy a little as a rookie for having some off games and shifts, but Fiala has had 5 of them now in a row, but he’s not lacking in opportunities.

Sure I’d want the GREEF line to score more, but they’re mostly doing their job of playing shut down.

When Fiala was with the Preds he was king of “that was a great scoring chance how did he not score?”

This year looking at the numbers it’s like “oh he finally got over the hump.” Maybe he is still streaky.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

9.25 million a year till 2030 is a beautiful thing... and Nurse is already leaving his prime years, he will be 35 when it expires.

Not good!

He’ll almost be as experienced as Duncan Keith !

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fleury to Philly. You think Jagr broke brains playing in the orange and black ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, last game at least MAF is not the reason the Wild lost.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/3306538/2022/05/12/jack-campbell-maple-leafs-teammates/?source=user_shared_article

Jack Campbell threw a birthday party for his teammate / friend’s cat.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look, I am all for Pitrsburgh’s stars retiring and the team starts tanking.

But I know what you all are secretly advocating: Crosby, Letang and Malkin all retire, Pittsburgh tanks and gets Bedard next year.

And I am here to state , if that happens, it would confirm to me that God is both real, and a vengeful , merciless god who only wants suffering and pain.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

I really want Caps/Cats and Pens/Rags to both go to game seven and then for the Caps/Pens to both advance. They have to meet up in round three, it’s been way too long without a Caps/Pens playoff series!

This is like, hell zone timeline.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

Sucks for Wild fans that they got bounced in 5, because with $13mil of dead cap coming next year from the buyouts you can’t even lie to yourself and say that they will be back better next year

That being said, outside of goaltending St Louis might be the best team in the west, their scoring depth is insane they had 9 20 goal scorers in the regular season

St Louis has big holes on defense and that was before half their D got injured. Their scoring depth is good, but I would a lot them as a dark horse. Just like when they won the cup in 2019.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

I cant decide which teams fans are more pessimistic, Calgary or Dallas.

Stoppable force meets movable object.

In this forums, it’s absolutely Capitals fans, with one poster doing the heavy lifting on pessimism.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Tomorrows game between the Leafs and Bolts might be the most excited I’ve been for a game that doesn’t involve my team in years. Both outcomes are just great stories… you either get two teams that struggle to get out of the first round facing eachother and guaranteeing one gets to the third, or a second round of the Baffle of Florida which could be incredible.

Dude , I am stoked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
McDavid is gonna play his career with the Oilers, never win a cup, and be labeled a failure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I find it hard to imagine Crosby couldn't go two days ago but is totally OK now. The Rangers will resume targeting him and I'm worried about him.

I get what you're saying but in hockey poo poo happens. The 2017 Pens may have been the best team in the league but they nevertheless came within one double overtime goal of losing to the loving Senators.

Honestly I still can't believe a team with that bad a D corps managed to win the Cup. Murray was awesome and the forward lines on that team were ridiculous.

Time for me to remind everyone that Nashville got hosed in game one on that offsides review specifically, and in my opinion a few calls like that were enough to tilt it to Pittsburgh.

No lie , I’m still very bitter about 2017 and it’s been 5+ years now.

My best friend is a huge Penguins fan, we legit didn’t talk for like, 3-4 months after that playoff series (obviously also life is busy, etc).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

The funny thing about the game tomorrow is I think it's tragic either way. Either the Penguins blow a 3-1 lead which has a certain level of tragedy to it despite the Penguins' injury trouble or the Rangers come all the way back to force a game 7 and then lose to a team they probably should have been able to beat in 5 or 6 given their injuries.

I agree, have a mini black hole occur, get rid of both teams, have no winner.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

I just want the Rangers to play a good game of hockey even if they lose

Wtf no.

Like , let’s be clear here, I have a strong hate for the New York Rangers , they suck, and it’s infuriating that not only does their “rebuild” take barely 2 years, but that they also get another generational goalie during it to replace Lundquist. This is bullshit , Rangers deserve to suffer for years.

But that said.

gently caress the Pittsburgh Penguins. I hope they lose, j hope they lose bigly, and I hope that they are bad for 10 years and don’t get another generational talent. I hope they burn in hell.

I then hope the Rangers get crushed in 4 by Carolina.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

Don't hate the Rangers.

Wtf no, this is a terrible opinion.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

sounds like only if they can advance past the 2nd round

So….they aren’t getting him back then?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

You're in the wrong thread.

Oh don’t worry, Blues also are gone at the end of this round.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Please stop making the Tkachuks so darn likeable.

They housed Robert Thomas for at least his rookie season.

https://theathletic.com/974094/2019/05/14/at-the-tkachuk-house-it-all-revolves-around-blues-rookie-robert-thomas/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

What the gently caress happened to Keith Tkachuk.... he's only 50 years old!

A lot of this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Rip Cats.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jagged Jim posted:

This guy scored

:negative:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

Also the internet tells me that Binnington is racist against Muslims, so it's karma that he got injured by a Muslim :colbert:

Binnington is a racist and this is pretty funny.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The spreadsheet says you are completely and categorically wrong.

https://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blues fans:

“So you’re saying….there a chance?”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

Where's all the hand-wringing over Evander Kane doing some hockey?

He’s still a piece of poo poo, the NHL just is a joke of an organization that allowed him to play and dude gets to play with McDavid so of course he scores a million goals.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oilers need to lose just because they signed Evander Kane.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Get hosed Aves. Let’s Go Blues.

I know Aves are still likely winners but this rules for now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

But the future refused to change :negative:

If my work offers me tickets for game 7, I'm flat out declining them :colbert:

I’m gonna need you to take those tickets and go to that game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/3334360/2022/05/26/connor-mcdavid-oilers-playoff-run/?source=user_shared_article

“His 2.27 points-per-game is the highest of any player to play 10 or more games with the next closest (after teammate Leon Draisaitl this year) being Jake Guentzel and Sidney Crosby in 2017-18 with 1.75. In fact, there have only been two other instances where a player had a higher points-per-game average: Wayne Gretzky in 1982-82 (2.38) and Wayne Gretzky in 1984-85 (2.61). McDavid is the first player in 30 years to average over two points per game in the playoffs, with the last being Mario Lemieux in 1991-92 who also had 2.27 points per game. It’s something that’s only been done six other times in the modern era.”

“In these playoffs, McDavid has already earned 1.5 wins of value in just 11 games — an 82-game pace of 11.2 wins. Eleven wins. ELEVEN! That’s nearly twice as much value as he was projected to earn which is already an incredibly high bar. Playoff McDavid is basically Double McDavid which feels absolutely ridiculous to write and yet absolutely spot-on while watching him.”

“On average, the best NBA player has been worth 18.5 wins over the last five years which is twice as good as a top 30 player and 6.3 times better than an average NBA player. McDavid’s playoff pace on the other hand is 2.7 times better than a top-20 forward (to account for the difference in league size) and a staggering 11.9 times better than an average NHL forward. The relative difference is astonishing — it’s McDavid vs. The World. “

“It’s only been 11 games, but in that time McDavid has looked as singularly dominant as a top-tier NBA superstar — and his relative impact may be even larger. The best and brightest the NHL has to offer have arguably never been better or brighter, and at the very top of that peak is McDavid. He stands alone.

He’s putting up NBA-type numbers, looking unstoppable every time he steps on the ice.”

Connor McDavid is uhhhhh, very good and literally putting up NBA level numbers despite playing a portion of what NBA players play in terms of time on ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

Supposedly Duncan Keith was really good against the Oilers in general and McDavid specifically in that lockout bubble opening round match the teams played. I remember this being talked about at the time of the Keith trade, that the Oilers became enamored with the player because of that one 4 game series.

Hockey players truly are really , really dumb so this checks out.