Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote about the current seeding and potential last minute seeding changes in my OP:

We are all thankful to go back to exciting hockey after the entire month of April had 27 of the 32 NHL teams on sleep mode with nothing to play for. There's only one "race" for a playoff spot left and it got almost entirely wrapped up last night.

-If Dallas gets any point in the standings against the Arizona Coyotes or Anaheim Ducks or the Vegas Golden Knights drop any points in either of their two final games, Dallas qualifies, and Vegas is out.

Very loving unlikely. So let's just focus on the seeding scenarios:

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic

1. Florida Panthers - (clinched home ice advantage in Eastern playoffs, hold a two point lead on Colorado in the President's Trophy race, they play Ottawa and Montreal to finish the season)
2. Toronto Maple Leafs - (clinched round 1 home ice advantage)
3. Tampa Bay Lightning - (hold a three point lead on the Bruins with two games to go)
4/WC1. Boston Bruins - (clinched at least WC1, need to beat Buffalo and Toronto and have the Lightning lose to Columbus and the Islanders to overtake them for a round 1 matchup with the Leafs which every team should want)

Metropolitan:

1. Carolina Hurricanes - (clinched home ice for first two rounds)
2. New York Rangers - (clinched home ice for round one)
3. Pittsburgh Penguins - (hold a 1 point lead on Washington for this spot but have played one more game)
4/WC2. Washington Capitals - (one point back on the Penguins with games against the Islanders and Rangers to go; the Penguins play Columbus to finish out their season)

Western Conference:

Central:

1. Colorado Avalanche - (clinched home ice advantage in Western playoffs, two points back for President's Trophy, they play Nashville and Minnesota to finish the season)
2. Minnesota Wild - (tied with St. Louis at 109 points but have played one fewer game; they play Calgary and Colorado to finish the season)
3. St. Louis Blues - (tied with Minnesota at 109 points; they play Vegas to close out the season)
4/WC1. Nashville Predators - (clinched a playoff spot with Dallas winning last night as they hold a tiebreaker on the Knights and Stars; tied at 95 points with the Stars; play Colorado and Arizona to close out the season)
5/WC2. Dallas Stars - (not clinched until they earn one more point in the standings/Vegas loses one more point; tied with Preds at 95 points; play Arizona and Anaheim to close out the season)

Pacific:

1. Calgary Flames - (clinched home ice for first two rounds)
2. Edmonton Oilers - (clinched home ice in first round with a tiebreaker win over Los Angeles)
3. Los Angeles Kings - (clinched a playoff spot last night)

With these scenarios all in mind, if no teams move spots, the first round is set as:

Washington @ Florida
Tampa Bay @ Toronto
Boston @ Carolina
Pittsburgh @ New York

Dallas @ Colorado
St. Louis @ Minnesota
Nashville @ Calgary
Los Angeles @ Edmonton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Powershift posted:

I would almost take that over 16+ games of heart attacks at the hands of Mike Smith.

What, you didn't love this sequence?

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1521349736028151808

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Seattle Kraken legend.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Knock on wood, but if Bobrovsky plays that well the entire series, I think the Panthers should be alright. The offense should wake up at some point. Hopefully. Maybe. I wish.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Looking at the box score, it might've looked like the Panthers offense did get back on track and run over the Caps like everyone expected. But the shots were 21-8 in favor of the Caps a long time into the 2nd period. The Caps have been shutting down the Panthers really well, but got let down by their goaltender in the first two periods and just didn't try at all in the third. Gonna be interesting to see what happens in game 3.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Panthers are just waiting to go down 4-1 in the series before they come back, it'll be fine.

Real talk, the Caps are just doing an incredible job preventing the Panthers from generating anything on the rush which infuriates the Panthers, and the Panthers are full of players that play awful when they're mad. It's really frustrating to watch these guys self-destruct after such a great season. Bobrovsky has been great during the series outside of the Capitals' goal in the 2nd game, it's the Panthers offense that's been a huge letdown.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

MJeff posted:

Caps are legit gonna do four straight first round bounces after letting Trotz go, huh. :|

Could be worse. Could have 6 straight first round bounces since 1996!

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
For the first time, in 26 years, the Florida Panthers have WON a playoff round! Three straight comeback wins! So happy.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Panthers went 0 for 18 on the power play and won the series in 6 games. The most recent team to win a series without a PP goal was in 2020 when the Lightning went 0 for 10 against the Blue Jackets in their 5 game series win. As far as I could find, the record for most ineffectual power play in a series win was the 2011 Bruins when they beat the Canadiens in 7 games after going 0 for 21.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Speaking of suspensions, does anyone think the NHL will go back and give Hagel a suspension for this? It was initially called a 5 minute major, then was reduced to 2 by Toronto.

https://twitter.com/JamesonCoop/status/1528438828020670472

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Wonder how differently that game turns out if that Hagel hit remains a major penalty, but still can't blame that as the reason the Panthers lost. They just can't do anything and Bob did let them down today. Would like at least a gentleman's sweep if possible.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Florida/Tampa having a back to back in the playoffs is shameful, you telling me the back-to-back cup champs couldn’t get top billing in their own arena

Kane Brown and the guy who sings "Fancy Like Applebees on a Tuesday" had priority.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Wonderllama posted:

Oh thanks. I am laughing at you. You should see my face. It’s full of laughter. Thanks.

Looks like you'll get the last laugh, too.

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1528747387090612227

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I sincerely cannot believe that 3-3 goal. All I can think of is that Mike Smith was "screened" for a fraction of a second and never saw it. I know it's nowhere near as impactfully bad as the Cloutier goal was, but I think it's just a worse goal and the worst goal I've ever seen given up in the playoffs.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

It’s cheating to use the KHL but Paul Kariyas brother getting knocked out and carried out on a tarp by his teammates in ‘09 is almost as funny/horrible as the Modano stretcher

Moment of silence for the brains of the Kariyas

You allude to it, but just in case DrunkPanda or others haven't seen why NHL coaches let their obviously hurt players come back and play, there's this very famous Paul Kariya highlight that'll explain everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C57NpdhJkUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Kilza posted:

Avs get a huge asterisk next to their Cup. Next time don't pay off the refs to help you win if you don't want an asterisk, assholes.

lmao

But also: this.