Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I am hoping the Bruins end up ATL 3 so I can at least hate the team we're gonna lose to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Last year I just picked whichever team I'd personally rather see lose to win every series and finished near the top, so I'm sticking with the proven strategy this year.

I made my actual best guesses and did pretty okay despite watching roughly a cup of coffee's worth of non-playoffs hockey each year

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

who's gettin this as their av LAS

i ain't spending :10bux: but i'll wear it proudly if someone else wants to stab it on me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
me? sportsnet is my main sports website

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mennoknight posted:

Nashville is starting David Rittich. I think the avs might be ok

Yikes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

I’ll take being half right

I wasn’t watching the first but as soon as I saw the news I thought of your prediction

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

Why, are you deaf?

Because gently caress corey perry.

it was very nice last night seeing corey perry repeatedly getting rocked over and over again

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

Should have suspended him for the rest of the playoffs. And also the next two seasons that he’s under contract since Dubas gave him that extension for some insane reason.

Honestly, I miss Kadri. I miss how he made old-stock Canadians (read: racists) mad, I missed that he was an actual good player on top of this poo poo, and he was just fun. He left for fair reasons and he's doing well but I honestly wish Dubas had kept him somehow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

Unfortunately, we noticed Wayne Simmonds tonight

Yeah he was the only really Bad player for Toronto tonight imo. Honestly like if it had to be a loss tonight that was a much better loss than I’ve felt from this team in previous playoff series, where they’d just stop loving trying if they were behind in the third. Everyone was still going for it until the dying seconds, and that’s what they really needed to change.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Apparently Goodrow broke his ankle and played 4 periods on it :stare:

This is how you end up without feet like Weber I imagine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm happy with the win. I said it on the discord but like if the Leafs swept tampa they'd have a bunch of unearned confidence. This year they're actually really figuring out what it takes and putting it together, and that's what they needed to do. This is the kind of series they need.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Twin Cinema posted:

Despite years of saying "small sample size" when it comes to judging a player's playoff performance, and also laughing at people who used to label Datsyuk a "playoff choker", I succumbed to criticizing Marner harshly last year. He's looked fantastic so far this series.

Do I take back what I said? No. Why? Because who cares?

On behalf of LAS, we're right there with you and we hate him too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

*Malkin gives Kakko a loaf of bread during the game* you DIRTY motha*BEEEEP*

why don't you give it to panarin instead? he's the bread man!!!!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Levitate posted:

Lies, no Leafs fan has ever said this

Let’s be fair, the Gilmour/Burns years were a genuinely good team and the Sundin/Quinn Leafs weren’t bad either. It’s just been this last fifteen years that the absolute choke imperative has descended.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So close. I guessed 7, I'm okay with it continuing. Everyone was losing their edges out there towards the end, fluke goal, it happens. This is definitely the best I've seen them play post-2016. They can finish this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m gonna take the over in buckets of blood spilled next game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

heehee posted:

i have the panthers winning in 7 so the bolts had to win 3 games anyway

I had this too, thinking at some point tampa's gonna be too tired. but honestly it feels like they're so good and so well-organized at playing their system it's like endless waves - even if one man falls, the next one is right there to step up. it's really, really impressive.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

shyduck posted:

Can you win a Conn Smythe if you're potentially not in the Final? Asking for a friend

I think you can get one if you lose, and frankly if McDavid keeps this up I'm not gonna red X against him if he's facing the Avs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Spoke to Gerard and he has a message for you, rex. I shot a video. Here it is

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1528500246120218625

he's in new york, can he drop in on the yankees and shout this at josh donaldson too

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Lol Lucic as a sly orc. I love it; new rule everything has to be couched in either Tolkien or WH40k descriptors.

Maybe hold off on that one, "orc" is being slung around by both sides of the Russia-Ukraine conflict as a way to dehumanize the other side (and I'm talking about documented stuff from the actual armed forces so don't think I'm getting mad at you or people on social media or yr gran.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

just one is okay?

whatever this is, it's rad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I lost the link to the Dale Hunter "bad" gif, but imagine I posted it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrunkPanda posted:

I would argue that a good portion of Rantanen's points are just from being on the same line as MacKinnon & Landeskog. For example, his playoff points this season look good, but noone can watch the games and think he has played well. But what angers me the most about him is his complete lack of effort. Even without the offensive production, a guy that size should be a monster on the forecheck and laying hits on the opposing team. But he loses every single board battle, I don't think I've seen him land a single check this postseason, and he consistently gives up the puck as easily as if he has 2 broken arms.

I haven't been watching the Avs but someone's already saying he looks haunted by injuries and also it's the NHL i would not be surprised to hear a guy is playing through two broken arms. IT'S FOR THE CUP.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dude being injured seriously enough that if you worked in a warehouse you'd be parked behind a desk on light duty for two months is absolutely a valid excuse for not playing well, and is distressingly common in the playoffs. Guys playing poorly in the playoffs and then having surgery the day after their team is eliminated happens every year.

Someone is gonna call OSHA on the cup finals one year and that’ll be it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

You're right they were merely the class of the NHL for a decade and for a time the highest spending team in the history of the sport. Those two Stanley Cups were given to them out of pity.

when does my team get the pity cups

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FunOne posted:

100% The series is extended.

i had avs in six on red x so i'm happy with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It might just be the pandemic or the fact that TB were back-to-back winners previously, but it feels like the Avalanche this year have more than the average "god it feels good for that specific guy to win a Cup" stories, above and beyond the usual OGWAC.