Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dr Zaius posted:

I don't even get what's going on in that drawing besides some weird vore thing.

Erik Kallgren, the legend, is eating salad and also Jake Gardiner for some reason and I am very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The models might do a bit better if you compared (perhaps just 5v5?) goal differentials instead, but then that's their fault for trying to predict point totals including loser points and probably doing a very half-assed job accounting for coaching and goaltending.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Sheldon Keefe is channeling his inner Babcock and scratching Spezza for game 1 in favour of someone worse.

Simmonds can't do all of the punching; he needs Clifford as backup to guarantee that the fourth line is totally useless.

Apparently Ondrej Kase could possibly start on the second line, so someone is likely to get blown the gently caress up tonight. Seriously, he should retire, not hop back in to the playoffs after probably half as much time off as he needed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am SO loving cautiously optimistic right now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It will be very funny when Clifford gets a longer suspension than Spurgeon.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fermun posted:

The AHL playoffs start today too and the divisions are all different sizes to minimize travel costs for the teams so the playoff bracket is interesting-looking

lol, they have four divisions of 8, 7, 7, and 9 teams, and the bottom 2 in each division miss the playoffs. So the Marlies with 79 points didn't make it, but 6 other teams with fewer points did (including the Gulls with 63 points). Somehow they devised an even shittier system than the NHL.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Raanta down. Another goalie hit by the playoff curse. What's going on this year

Is Pastrnak's fist cursed now or what?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Extremely hosed up that Corey Perry just disappeared John Tavares from the playoffs two years in a row and nobody's even talking about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This has been researched extensively by lazy memeticians.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So you're saying there's a chance they win four game sevens in one year? Aight.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Left up to total chance, when each game played creates millions and millions in revenue? The more games, the better, all things considered?

Simple solution: make teams play out all seven games, no matter who wins four first. Give losers a chance to inflict some real damage for the next round. Any player who skips these meaningless games gets suspended for the next round.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Heroic coaching effort by Keefe to bring the team back, make adjustments, and inspire them after that horrible start.

Koopa Kid posted:

Broadcast is talking about Matthews playing 9 minutes in the period like it’s a good thing, it’s obvious to the entire world that he can’t shoot, the team’s still down 1 and he’s going to be completely gassed in the third. Keefe still running his team like a junior coach.
:wink:

... and a view:

Indeed, Mr. Matthews.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MaoistBanker posted:

DONT SUSPEND NURSE NHL, we need him to play to ensure the Kings eliminate the Loilers

Have you considered that no Nurse likely means 25+ minutes of Keith?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I should have thought this through before the playoffs. What's the absolute most brutal way the Leafs can dickkick their fans this year? It's to win their first playoff series in 20 years by bouncing the 2-time champs--thus ensuring Keefe's survival and the wasting of at least one more year of Matthews' and Marner's primes--then do their usual Maple Leafs thing in the second round, ideally against an 8 seed everyone expects them to beat.

Congrats on one last run to the conference final Caps fans!

Finally winning a series and then going back to Leafing it up isn't that much of a dropoff, though. No, I'm thinking it has to be:

Beat Tampa Bay, beat Washington, beat Boston. So many demons exorcised. They could either all be grueling 7-game series, which would be more emotionally draining, or to maximize the contrast for the inevitable drop-off, have them win in 7, 6, 5 or 6, 5, 4 games, respectivelly, building up the hype to unimaginable levels.

Then lose to Colorado in 4, as Kadri scores a hat trick in every game, and also inflicts lingering injuries on every Leafs star (that they play through, causing lasting damage but not giving compelling excuses for losing) with borderline predatory hits on DOPS-approved hockey plays.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

I think calling it a fluke goal is ignoring that this team has started three straight games going down 2-0 or worse. The heroics to come back are just noise, Keefe can’t get this team to start on time and if you go down two goals you’re going to lose most of the time. This team probably deserves to have lost the series already, and Keefe is getting lots of credit for what are essentially score effects and inconsistent referees.

But if they score 2 goals first and then blow the lead in the third you'll still complain, so there's no pleasing Leafs fans.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The joke is that the officiating standards changed from strict to high stick/puck over glass only overnight, ha ha ha. Ha.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why are people posting about the Capitals in this, the playoff thread? Some of us are trying to enjoy our remaining 8-15 hours of belonging in this place before slinking off quietly.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd rather it be a player in the Canes-Rangers series

*monkey's paw curls* Kaapo Kakko suffers anaphylactic shock from inhaling Panarin fumes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah seriously that's rude, the Rangers are much more welcoming to fans willing to pay $400+ for nosebleeds.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

Carolina can suck my rear end. Buncha bigots.

Nice meltdown.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Rangers played very well. should have finished a few, and the OT goal sucked, but if we can continue playing like that, I like our chances

The Canes skipped most of the first two periods and they probably won't do that again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Glambags posted:

People in this thread rooting for known racist and terrible poster Tony D. Shameful

*former New York Ranger and current Ranger fan Tony D, and also living evidence that Rangers fans have bad opinions, like that Ray Ferraro isn't the best that hockey colour commentary can offer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

WeaponX posted:

gently caress this do stupid poo poo.

:hmmyes: not in the least because the first half+ of game 1 was boring as poo poo. Hell, more Cool poo poo happened in 5 minutes of the BATTLE OF ALBERTA than the entire CAR-NYR game and that's inexcusable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sebastian Ahowns and it's great that he threaded a sick pass through the legs of the cowardly traitor Adam Fox for the game-winner.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matt Zerella posted:

Tiki torch rally ran late.

Says the fan cheering for A. Copp and the blueshirts.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In what way was Kadri pushed into Binnington? He's shoving on Rosen's lower back before they collide into him. Also you're supposed to try to avoid ramming into the goalie, so lol that they didn't even call it a penalty.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That seems like it should be a boarding major because the cross-check itself is not even a minor by post-crackdown standards, but

Aphrodite posted:

And boarding is officially a violent check into the boards from any direction, but if you want to find boarding ever called for a hit that wasn’t to the numbers good luck.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

in other news I think the Rangers need to play like they did tonight again in game 4. it was nice to give up a lot fewer shots but I feel like we weren't using our offensive talents on the breakout or rush.

we got outpossessed today, but I thought we had better chances and let Igor handle his stuff. i say we go with what got us to the dance. if we play a low event game, that's Carolina's type of party. our type of party is getting out possessed and owning on the rush and power play. LGR baby, love da Rangers

The Rags played like poo poo for the second half of all three games so while it did work out in game 3 they should probably try to improve on that.

Also if Tony "Not Very Good At" D hadn't thrown his hands in the air to whine and just picked up his stick instead (or just held onto it with even the slightest hint of commitment in the first place), Kreider probably wouldn't have scored the winner.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Where's all the hand-wringing over Evander Kane doing some hockey?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If we're still talking about this, I do not understand how the overhead view is supposed to exonerate Kadri in any way. Yes, he probably would have missed the net had he continued in a straight line - so what? Rosen got to the puck ahead of him, and it's not Rosen's job to make sure Kadri gets out of the way of Binnington (by doing what exactly, not playing the puck?). It is, however, Kadri's job to not run the goalie*. Also, Kadri's the one who knocked Rosen into Binnington, not the other way around.

* yes, yes, I know.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Asked a few pages ago what you're supposed to do in a situation like this and nobody answered. But :hmmyes: I like this one

Skaters aren't supposed to plow into goalies. There's no relevant mitigating circumstance; Rosen isn't pushing Kadri into the net.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You can see Kadri try to stop, but his left skate caught an edge (at 0:35) and he toppled forward, and toward Binnington when he was hit by Rosen.

... what? Kadri's left skate is pointed nearly straight ahead. He's not trying to stop. He wasn't hit by Rosen either, he just skated straight into him.

th3t00t posted:

Neither player touched the puck. Kadri had stick position to get there first but Rosen had body position to block Kadri from getting there. Kadri and Rosen collide, Kadri goes briefly airborne and they both tumble into Binnington.

I don't see how you can see that overheard view and not think Kadri is exonerated.

Because Kadri didn't try to stop at all, whereas Rosen did. Rosen has his left skate edge nearly perpendicular to his motion, because he's trying to stop and avoid hitting his own goalie. Kadri's left skate is basically parallel to his own path. The onus is on skaters to avoid contact with goalies while they're in their crease (which Binnington was by the time Kadri got there).

Sure, I don't think there's intent to elbow Binnington in the head or anything, but there's certainly somewhere between recklessness and carelessness.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Guys like Kadri, and Tom Wilson, and Matt Cooke, et. al., are world class shitheads who have spent their lives honing their craft, which is injuring people and making it look like a total accident golly gee. They are extremely good at it.

Well Kadri loving sucked at the second half of that while he was a Leaf.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We don't need Tampa Bay in the finals, we can just do Oilers-Canes again. Mike Smith charges out of his net and gets trucked by Tony D at the faceoff dot in Game 7. Just tremendous potential content right there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe you should have cheered harder for the Fun and Engaging Toronto Maple Leafs to succeed.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twin Cinema posted:

I hope McDavid gets 30 points in the first two rounds.

I also realize I am pulling for the Oilers, just because it'd be great to see such a top-heavy team with Mike Smith win.

I am not pulling for the Oilers because I don't want to hear anything more about how the Leafs should have signed Kane and/or kept playoff heroes Barrie, Ceci and Hyman.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

He pretty obviously means Mike Smith.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Connor has upgraded his emotions. It's possible his cube had melted this spring

https://mobile.twitter.com/AshleyBuck7/status/1530055666005516289

Wow maybe he's going to paint part of his house a different shade of gray from any of the others.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

If they explain it further, I’m going to predict what it will say.

It’s a kicking motion because the foot propelled the puck into the net from behind the direction the puck is going. It added to the momentum of the puck and didn’t just change the momentum’s direction.

Except that's nonsense because you can propel the puck forward by sliding your skate into it while stopping, without making anything resembling a kicking motion. Is every hockey stop an attempted kick?

If the puck is motionless literally anything you do to touch it will impart momentum. You just have to be moving slightly faster than the puck.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 27, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tinstaach posted:

Is this really bad defence though or is it being matched up against McDavid and Draisaitl while they're doing the fusion dance and swallowing them whole?

Both. Hanifin & Andersson had mainly D-zone starts and got dumpstered in a similar fashion. Statistically the best D were Zadorov/Gudbranson, possibly because they were constantly getting away with poo poo and also got more favourable deployments.

Now I'm not a hockey coach but it does seem like a problem if you keep trying to match up your defensively average-at-best offensive stars against the other teams even more talented offensive stars. Then again, would Zadorov/Gudbranson/Stone/Kylington really have done a much better job against McDrai? In hindsight, they couldn't have done much worse.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

glynnenstein posted:

It's just the NHL constantly being very inconsistent about these rules where interpretation plays a big role, like goaltender interference.

Early this year there was a disallowed goal very similar to Coleman's.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2021/10/32410/wild-goal-disallowed-for-distinct-kicking-motion/

How is that similar to Coleman's? That's actually reasonably close to a soccer-style kick, whereas Coleman was sliding on one foot through the crease, like absolutely nobody does before they try to kick something, in soccer or otherwise.

The problem, as usual, is that the rulebook is useless word salad:

quote:

A “distinct kicking motion,” for purposes of Video Review, is one where the video makes clear that an attacking Player has deliberately propelled the puck with a kick of his foot or skate and the puck subsequently enters the net.

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident.

The definition of distinct kicking motion is deliberately propelling the puck... with a kick. Thanks, that really clears it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What if the Avs simply... don't play Jack Johnson? Has anyone tried this before?