Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Last night's Blues-Avalanche game in ESPN was maybe the worst NHL broadcast I've ever seen, so I don't think I'm exactly looking forward to watching these playoffs. I'm not entirely convinced the announcers were actually watching the game, but instead maybe listening to a radio broadcast and giving commentary on that. There were tons of technical errors, both audio and visual. My personal fave is when they went picture in picture for commercials they never cut the arena audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This is why the thread was premature. Now we need two threads to laugh about Dallas stumbling into the playoffs while Vegas stumbles out. Three if you count the gameday thread.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Spurgeon's probably only getting fined, but he's gonna get heavy hits the next couple games I imagine

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1521346837986304000
The NHL needs to investigate whatever freaky Friday thing is going on with the Blues and Wild, where the Blues are now the entertaining skilled team who probably aren't good enough, and the Wild are filled with lovely cheap shot artists.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

To continue a prior conversation, there were a shitload of penalties called through the first game of the playoffs. However, Toronto's 5-0, St Louis 4-0, Colorado's 7-2 and Calgary's 1-0 wins were the most penalty filled games. At the other end of the spectrum, there were only 5 penalties called in Pittsburgh's triple overtime win, with none occurring after the second period.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 4, 2022

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Aces High posted:

Did my eyes deceive me or did Jack Johnson not play at all last night? I liked that, the Avs should do that more often

He's the #8 defenseman when the Avs are healthy. They basically just haven't been healthy all year.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Postseason and regular season combined Carolina is 5-0 and have outscored the Bruins 26-4. Carolina may just be the better team.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know, it seemed like several teams had a rash of guys going out with minor injuries at the same time and now I've started wondering if that was the team's way of hiding covid cases after private tests.

I'm pretty highly suspicious of the Avalanche having a bunch of guys popping up with non COVID illnesses this last month or so.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

fawning deference posted:

Yes, exactly. His contract is very tradeable even after a couple of seasons. Players like Goodrow will always have value.

I think that's kind of the trap of his contact. Sure if the team sucks and you want to blow it up you can easily move the contact to a contender. But, I think the Rangers fancy themselves as contenders. So A they want a player like Goodrow themselves and B the contact is a weight around their necks that will prevent them from getting better players.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

My new favorite is apparently one that Bo Byram dropped in juniors (I'm sure others have as well). "Next year I'm going to be making 925 while you are working 9-to-5."

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I just want to say that listening to Steve Levy and A.J. Mleczko call games is physically uncomfortable. They both have serious nails on a chalkboard energy.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like I shouldn't be surprised because lol Edmonton, but this LA-Edmonton series is shocking to me. The Kings are so bad.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

I should have thought this through before the playoffs. What's the absolute most brutal way the Leafs can dickkick their fans this year? It's to win their first playoff series in 20 years by bouncing the 2-time champs--thus ensuring Keefe's survival and the wasting of at least one more year of Matthews' and Marner's primes--then do their usual Maple Leafs thing in the second round, ideally against an 8 seed everyone expects them to beat.

Congrats on one last run to the conference final Caps fans!
I think the obvious answer is a replay of all the old favorites. Take a 4-1 lead into the third in Game 6 and lose due to a controversial call in overtime. Then lose Game 7 by 3-4 goals in a flaccid effort.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Dirty Burger posted:

That being said, outside of goaltending St Louis might be the best team in the west, their scoring depth is insane they had 9 20 goal scorers in the regular season

You realize the only reason Colorado doesn't have 10 is because they've been pretty banged up this year?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Pepperidge Farms remembers when nothing happened after this hit
https://mobile.twitter.com/nhl_review/status/1452094363148881922

Then the very next game this happened
https://mobile.twitter.com/nhl_review/status/1452806151876354058
Where nothing happened either

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It's always funnier when Canadian teams lose, but good good that Stars team was an abomination and I don't think I could tolerate watching them anymore. Good thing they locked up Pavelski for one more year instead of moving him at the deadline.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I forgot that Manson scored a really similar goal in the last regular season game between Colorado and St Louis.

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/video/manson-scores-goal/t-277437098/c-11515360

Same spot. Same shot placement.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Colorado was outright lackadaisical tonight. Hopefully this game is a wake-up call for them or else they are out in Round 2 again.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Kadri definitely should have gotten a goalie interference penalty there, but on the flipside, Nichushkin definitely shouldn't have gotten one last game. In summation, suck it St. Louis.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

th3t00t posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA-hc_1u3oM

Kadri's line was going well wide of Binnington until the contact with Rosen. Seems pretty clear Kadri wasn't in control of where he landed and slid after bouncing off Rosen and falling down.

If Kadri went into Binnington like this "unassisted", then yeah, throw him out of the league. But it doesn't even look questionable that it was an accident.

There's a lot of gray area in the rule where the ref has to make a judgement about whether a player was actually pushed into the goalie, or used the push as an excuse to run the goalie. To me the play looks all the world like the latter. But I think they blew the same call in the other direction in game 2 where Nichushkin was forced into the goalie by the defender.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

WeaponX posted:

It’s actually Kadri’s job to score goals and there is a very clearly loose puck.

To me the story of these past couple of games has been Colorado declining physical play, and I think this incident is a pretty good example of it. If Kadri had made the aggressive, physical play he probably would have casually buried the absolute muffin of a rebound Binnington left, and there would be nothing else to talk about.

The play started when Landeskog got the puck near the Blues bench and fired it across to Lehkonen. Rosen stepped up to play Landeskog, but then realized he hosed up massively and hustled back to the net. Now Kadri had the inside line and should have driven hard to the net, but instead he dropped into the hole for no particular reason, and then didn't really even make a strong play for the puck when it was just sitting there in front of an open net.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Last night was just instantly off-the-rails for St. Louis where you had Brayden Schenn trying to fight Kadri on his very first shift of the game, instead of you know, trying to play hockey. If last year is any indication, St. Louis is going to utterly capitulate in Game 5. I'm starting to get the suspicion that St. Louis has gone as far as they can with Craig Berube.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

My fearless prediction is that the BOA winner will get clinically dispatched in the conference finals and we'll see a bunch of wailing articles about how they're a bunch of chokers cause they only managed 4 goals in 5 games after scoring 30 in this series.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Colorado's a bad pure defense team, and should pretty much never try to just sit on a lead. It doesn't stop them from trying every time they get a 2-3 goal lead though.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Levitate posted:

I've seen coaches and players say they don't really try to sit on leads or play prevent defense but it's just such a natural reaction to try to not make mistakes or do risky things while the other team is pressing that it happens

But yeah, not sure the Avs D and goaltending is overall good enough to hold off a good teams push for a fulll period

With Colorado it's really obvious when it's happening. With their forwards they'll start rolling all 4 lines, take real short shifts and stop matching lines. Their defense, which is normally jumping into practically every rush up the ice, will suddenly be miles behind the play unless there is a real clear-cut odd man rush.

I thought that okay, maybe it's not the end of the world if you blow a 3 goal lead to New Jersey in February. Save your legs for when it's important. But when you don't learn your lesson and do the same dumb poo poo in the playoffs... It can be kind of difficult to get out of the 2nd round.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Koopa Kid posted:

The Avs are also asking a lot of a couple very young defensemen and Jack Johnson on the back end, Toews is really good but it’s not hard to imagine that D corps might struggle when a good team is fighting for their lives. Manson also just doesn’t seem that great as a deadline acquisition so losing Girard is a pretty big blow.
Manson has been fine, his role in the team is to partner with whoever the biggest defensive liability is and cover for their mistakes. His numbers don't look great because of that, but I would say the bigger tell is how his partner's numbers look.

Last night was the first time Colorado blew a big lead against the Blues, but they tried to blow a 3-1 lead in October and almost blew a 4-1 third period lead a month ago.

Lest you think the Blues are filled with some kind of special heart and grit and determination, the Avs tried real hard to blow big late leads against such illustrious opposition as the Blackhawks, Islanders and Jets. I mentioned it before, but they blew a 3-0 lead midway through the second against the freaking Devils. Bednar has to fix this poo poo, or he's got to go.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Koopa Kid posted:

Manson's really a two-way guy who gets a boost from his possession numbers more than his defensive metrics, he's gonna be the better defender on a pair with a few people by default but he's not a lockdown defensive conscience either. I just mean to say he's not a big needle mover to step up when someone better goes down so COL's defence is in a tough spot with Girard out, not that he himself is a bad player.

Byram, when he's been healthy, is pretty much a bigger, better version of Girard. While Jack Johnson doesn't really bring anything offensively, people are either massively overestimating Girard or underestimating Johnson if they think Girard is significantly better defensively.

So, what I think the impact of the Girard injury is, isn't so much a case of someone needing to step up, but they suddenly have lineup problems. Byram-Manson doesn't really make a ton of sense for how they use Manson, and they definitely don't want the two Johnsons together. They obviously want to keep Toews and Makar together as much as possible, so their back end right now is some weird Jackson Pollock where they use every possible lineup and double shift and half shift people.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

DrunkPanda posted:

But what about Ryan Murray? I didn't watch much of the regular season, however I heard that he was pretty decent when healthy. He is now healthy (and more importantly, is not Jack Johnson), why is he not getting play time?

Murray was perpetually injured (unsurprisingly) and wasn't really a great fit when he was healthy (surprisingly). He didn't really kill penalties very well at all which is why Jack Johnson is in the lineup ahead of him.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This is the year we finally get Tampa and Colorado and it will be lopsided and awful and everyone will agree we never want to see it again. Then we'll get it again next year.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I would put the struggles of the top unit of the power play against St. Louis pretty much entirely on Rantanen not being able to do much of anything. He wasn't able to shoot at all. He had a lot of trouble handling the puck. He had that mystery "illness" right at the end of the regular season, and whatever it was seems like it's still affecting him.

Newhook played pretty well in game 4, but yall crazy if you think he played better in Game 5 than Burakovsky did in Game 6.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was out of town on vacation and didn't get a chance to poo poo talk Edmonton, but I knew they were frauds and Calgary should be deeply embarrassed they couldn't get past that team. The bottom half of that roster and goaltending is nowhere near good enough and Ken Holland's job should not be safe.

Looking forward Francouz is a bit of a problem, hopefully Kuemper can come back. I think they can win without Kadri and Girard, but they are pretty much at the limit of their depth right now.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was poking around NHL.com earlier and it looks to me that the best predictor is if you can win in the road in the post season. Basically everybody is good at home, but the team's that are good on the road end up doing real well.

Best road warriors of the past 20 years (min 8 games, excluding the bubble):
2012 Kings
2002 Red Wings
2019 Blues
2018 Capitals
2010 Blackhawks
2019 Bruins
2004 Flames
2004 Lightning
2007 Ducks
2008 Red Wings
2021 Lightning
2007 Senators
2016 Penguins

This year the Lightning have been okay on the road, the Rangers have been real bad, and the Avalanche are 7-0.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The '04 Avalanche were stacked for the 2 games they were healthy. It wasn't just the Hall of Famers, their third and 4th lines on paper were absurd. They just had as bad injury luck as you can have, and Tony Granato was a complete fraud of a coach

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Aebischer was expected to be a huge liability but he was fine all season including in the playoffs. Colorado put up 7 goals in 6 games against San Jose and made people think that Scott Hannan was the best defenseman in the world.

Then they traded Aebischer for Jose Theodore straight up and still managed to lose that trade.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Withnail posted:

Pretty sure you've never been to colorado

It's okay, some people in the US and Canada are unaware that there is an entire range of temperatures between unbearably hot and bitterly cold. To them the idea that you might go outside and do something during the day is utterly foreign.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I didn't say they don't have season. It's just those seasons are different flavors of miserable, unlike actually decent places to live.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Burakovsky is a pretty weird player. From season to season he has been incredibly consistent for Colorado, but from game to game you just never know what you are going to get. Sometimes he's the best player on the ice, sometimes you don't question why a guy with 60 points is a healthy scratch.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I would buy that both Rantanen and Burakovsky were playing through injuries, because they were both much better last night than they had been playing. With Burakovsky though, it seems like he's always kind of been streaky like that.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

He's really good defensively, is skilled enough that he's not going to be embarrassing if you put him on the top line, and his size and skill make him a nightmare situationally. That said, I don't think his production this year is sustainable at all, and Lehkonen does all the same things, just in a smaller package. 5-5.5 aav is doable I think, but anything more Colorado should pass.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

That’s still hooking so it’s fine.

His stick is pretty obviously in Makar's skates in the third pick, so it's a trip as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Aces High posted:

Good times, then we also had the one (1) Vegas fan that kept whining on how the team was poo poo after losing in the SCF in their inaugural season

He was posting from the future.