Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
2015: Kings miss playoffs
2016: Kings lose in 1st round to Sharks, Sharks lose in finals
2017: Kings miss playoffs
2018: Kings lose in 1st round to Knights, Knights lose in finals
2019: Kings miss playoffs
2022: Kings lose in 1st round to Oilers, Oilers lose in finals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The last two were fun-sized so I can understand Tampa fans needing another already
2020 AND 2021 Stanley Cup CHAMPIONS.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Anyone not cheering for the Panthers (after their own team) is a monster. After their defeat in the 1996 Finals, they have yet to win a playoff series.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Panthers are a prime candidate for choking. Not choking in the sense that they will be bad in the playoffs; just may be not as good as they might look at first glance. I want them to succeed, but I could also see them out early.

Their defense is average and their goal scoring might not translate to the playoffs. And yes, they are only 4th in the East in regulation wins.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Wow. I figured he would have a few more years in him. He's never really missed much time. I guess this year's injury made him think about his future health.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

deoju posted:

I'll always remember Brown for going for a knee-on-knee and elbow-to-the-head at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pibiT5DCeME
Every time this is posted, I cum a little.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Dustin Brown retirement press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mai9N1TS9o

Kind of weird that they are having a press conference but then he is playing in playoffs.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
edit: wrong thread.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 1, 2022

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Kings and Oilers should trade Quick for McDavid right now to make this an interesting series.

As it is, it's going to be a shitshow of Oilers offense v Kings defense, with Mike Smith giving up a few lovely goals each game.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It's not nice to pile on and I'm sure it'll jinx the Kings, but....

Mike Smith lost the West finals to the Kings in 2012. Yesterday was only his 11th playoff game since then.

Overall, Smith is 2-14 in his last 16 playoff games.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Mike Smith's 4 prior playoff series:

He was actually pretty good until game 3 in 2019.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
May 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHdZUf_-QgA&t=50s

May 04, 2022
https://v.redd.it/fys2d9orrkx81/DASH_480.mp4

10 years later and still a shithead loser.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Mike Works posted:

those loving blob charts that i don't know how to read
Oh thank god I thought I was the only one.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Sorry everyone; Quick has decided to go into 2012 God mode. Thank you all for your participation, but the Kings are winning the Cup.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
If anyone gets a chance, read Freakonomics (pdf of text). Chapter 1 goes into cheating in Sumo wrestling. It happens. [Chapter 4 is also relevant these days.]

I remember that Lakers/Kings Game 6. Something was off there.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
As I always like to remind everyone, the Cup only counts if the winner goes 16-4 or better.

I'm thinking the Avalanche have a shot.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Well there's only two options. 2-2 or 3-1.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Oilers are dirty.

Edit: this was in game 4: https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/uljpwt/darnell_nurse_takes_out_trevor_moores_feet_from/

Sorry I am on mobile and can't link to video directly.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 11, 2022

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Aphrodite posted:

I mean yeah probably, but that's also just the same guy.
I don't have the videos on hand. But Kane's eblow/knee yesterday and Kassian's crosscheck. Hell, even McDavid and Draisatl have done stuff.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That was such a hilarious attempt to injure. There is no natural reason to raise the elbow up like that.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 12, 2022

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That would have been a nice legal hit if you just kept the elbow down.

Some hits have a raised elbow because the hitter raised his entire torso to reach the hitee. But in this case, Trouba raises only his elbow. His elbow gets above his shoulder. There is no natural reason for that kind of movement. Pure headshot attempt.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
gently caress the Oilers.

But gently caress the Kings too.

Hockey is just stupid.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Meanwhile Colin Fraser won 3* Cups in 6 seasons.

* Technically 2 since he didn't play enough games for the 2014 Kings

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Now that I've had the night to sleep on it, I just want to say.... gently caress the Oilers.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I think that was when I gave you that avatar.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The blues won the Cup last [real] season. How on Earth are their fans so angry? Winning the Cup should chill you out.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Edmonton will riot after Colorado sweeps them. Thousands of dollars of damage.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It's weird how Tampa and Colorado both seem inevitable. I don't know if that's ever happened before, where a team from both conference seems like the obvious choice for Cup champs. These Finals might top Kings/Hawks in 2014.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

fisting by many posted:

The thing about rebuilding is that at some point all those prospects you've been hoarding and developing turn into top-end talent. And then you're done, that's the rebuild.
Most of the Rangers top guys aren't recently developed prospects, though. Seems like just Fox and Chytil. Lafreniere will take another year or so and Kakko might be a bust.

I have a hard time believing that 5 years ago Rangers brass thought Zibanejad/Kreider/Copp/Vatrano/Strome/Trouba were a Stanley Cup core. Most of them weren't even Rangers back then. Sometimes the pieces just fall into place.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
gently caress the Oilers. But they have my permisson to beat the Avs a few times.

Gretzky, Bissonette, Carter, and Tochet are all former Kings. That is all.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

DrunkPanda posted:

I give the Avs a 20% chance to win against the Rangers and a 10% chance to win against the Lightning
I think youve got those inverted. Avs are clearly the favorites.

It's only a question of whether the Avs go 16-4 or better.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

DrunkPanda posted:

Ya but betting on the NHL is real sketchy, considering how much influence the refs have over the game.
This is true of any sport. I would say hockey is less prone to referee interference considering how relatively few penalties are called compared to fouls in basketball and flags in football. And in baseball, the homeplate ump is basically part of the game calling balls and strikes.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Lets stop the HoF talk right now before things get out of hand.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The only good options are Avalanche in 7 or the Lightning winning as long as we continue to acknowledge that 2020 and 2021 weren't real Cups.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Avalanche have no more losses to spare. Remember, it only counts if it's 16-4.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 25, 2022

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
No, its only been 10 years since the Kings went 16-4 on their way to their first Stanley Cup.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
No. The two "worst" Cup winners were the 2014 Kings and 2019 Blues - both going 16-10.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 25, 2022

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Jamwad Hilder posted:

this was their chance to win the cup in a real season and prove the haters wrong, and they beefed it
Yea, in a real season they suddenly poo poo the bed.

Anyway, welcome to the 16-4 club, Aves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

ThinkTank posted:

The Edmonton Oilers did not win the cup so my 31 year reign of success continues
Oh yea, congrats to Connor McDavid on winning the playoff scoring title.