Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

DrunkPanda posted:

It appears that Rantanen was conserving his energy during the first 2 rounds to use in the 3rd round, he looked like a completely different player this series, effort-wise. He was even throwing checks, which I don't remember ever seeing him do before.

It's also possible that whatever thing has been nagging him has gotten better, maybe because he didn't push too hard in the earlier rounds.

And it's also possible that he just looked better against Edmonton's defense than against St Lous'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think Cooper is an all time great coach, but I'm baffled that he hung Vasilevskiy out to dry long after the rest of the team had quit for the night. He should have been pulled after the third goal. It's like Cooper was just curious whether it's possible to shatter Vasi's confidence.

Every one of my goalie friends absolutely loathe getting pulled, and would much rather finish out a total blow out than leave the game with, e.g., a period left. I expect Cooper knows Vasy and wouldn't leave him in unless it was the better of two bad options.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Patrick Roy wouldn't!

With the Cup on the line I'd rather have my superstar goalie pissed off at me than spending a sleepless night reliving the 7 goals he allowed. Or worse yet, injured in a long lost game. Every coach worth a drat knows how to give the goalie the "none of this poo poo is your fault, the guys are being lazy out there and they need a wakeup call, just take a rest and get ready for Game 3, we will still win this" talk.

But it is definitely valid to observe that Cooper is a better hockey coach than I am and also knows Andrei Vasilevskiy, a man I have never met, better than I do

Hah, "well you're no Patrick Roy" was my exact response to the cousin (former goalie, actually decent, tried out for AHL) on this topic.

People are different. Some goalies may have sleepless nights because they were left in for a 7-0 drubbing, and some because they were pulled from that game at 4-0 or 5-0 or whatever.

Personally, if I'm having a bad day on the ice and the outcome is already well beyond question, I would prefer to own it and play that bad day out. Anything else would feel shameful.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DrunkPanda posted:

There is a narrative on the HF boards that they keep the ice lovely in Tampa because their players are used to playing on it, so it is like a home field advantage.

Anyway, I can't stop watching this https://twitter.com/GeorgeStoia/status/1538919689086283776 . He's coming back! Maybe not this game or the next game, but definitely by game 5 it looks like! I hope Vasilevskiy isn't overly fond of having 2 functioning knees

Forget him skating and shooting and show me the one of him taking a hard cross-ice pass, because that's the one that's going to sting like a motherfucker.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Simplex posted:

I don't think they are Edmonton bad, but I do think Colorado mostly plays defense by being really good offensively.

The best kind of defense.