Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

you'll never get my permission

embrace entropy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

Admins don't like using anything that's created by someone else for background images.

guess the admins need to spend more time drawing artwork and less time posting about young mouth :goofy:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

don't worry i'm drawing a great cspam background right now with chipmunks and everything

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

500 good dogs posted:

don't worry i'm drawing a great cspam background right now with chipmunks and everything

perfect where’s flavius

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

enough folks have those avs that we can't give out new ones, but I did put in a request with the admins to swap out your ghost of kyiv one for the secure click, we'll see if they approve it. if you don't see it in a couple days, thems the breaks.

note, i do not expect to get that token for this

well hey ill take what I can get
:thanks:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think the next time people want to swarm to mock things like the witchcraft thread under the pretense of upholding Marxism they should actually have to read feminist Marxism https://files.libcom.org/files/Caliban%20and%20the%20Witch.pdf and see how historical witchcraft was women showing social solidarity and mutual support as a class and how that was intentionally destroyed in order to force women into a subject more amenable to capitalism.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I disavow. I've never had contact with a witch.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

historical witchcraft was women showing social solidarity and mutual support as a class

lol

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Shiroc posted:

I think the next time people want to swarm to mock things like the witchcraft thread under the pretense of upholding Marxism they should actually have to read feminist Marxism https://files.libcom.org/files/Caliban%20and%20the%20Witch.pdf and see how historical witchcraft was women showing social solidarity and mutual support as a class and how that was intentionally destroyed in order to force women into a subject more amenable to capitalism.

But it is also okay to poke light fun at things

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Fly Molo posted:

perfect where’s flavius

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

a group of women showing solidarity, aka a coven

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

a group of women showing solidarity, aka a coven

too many flammable objects in one place seems like a hazard, imo

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Men stole witchcraft from women and branded it post-structuralism, once again attempting to provide a formal ordering to something inherently Dionysian, as is their wont

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I have taken your buoyancy and made it mine hellspawn

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

opening this pdf and it just reads Dumb Bitch Alert over and over???

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

some plague rats posted:

opening this pdf and it just reads Dumb Bitch Alert over and over???

Here you go since the book gives you a big sad:

Wikipedia Summary posted:

Federici's best known work, Caliban and the Witch: Women, the Body and Primitive Accumulation, expands on the work of Leopoldina Fortunati investigating the reasons for the witch hunts[8][9][10][11] of the early modern period, but giving a feminist interpretation. In it, she argues against Karl Marx's claim that primitive accumulation is a necessary precursor for capitalism. Instead, she posits that primitive accumulation is a fundamental characteristic of capitalism itself—that capitalism, in order to perpetuate itself, requires a constant infusion of expropriated capital.

Federici connects this expropriation to women's unpaid labour, both connected to reproduction and otherwise, which she frames as a historical precondition to the rise of a capitalist economy predicated upon wage labor. Related to this, she outlines the historical struggle for the commons and the struggle for communalism. Instead of seeing capitalism as a liberatory defeat of feudalism, Federici interprets the ascent of capitalism as a reactionary move to subvert the rising tide of communalism and to retain the basic social contract.

She situates the institutionalization of rape and prostitution, as well as the heretic and witch-hunt trials, burnings, and torture at the center of a methodical subjugation of women and appropriation of their labor. This is tied into colonial expropriation and provides a framework for understanding the work of the International Monetary Fund, World Bank, and other proxy institutions as engaging in a renewed cycle of primitive accumulation, by which everything held in common—from water, to seeds, to our genetic code—becomes privatized in what amounts to a new round of enclosures.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/KennethLogins/status/1029359136323129344?t=0b7wK91xbLzFSfyKRl8lkA&s=19

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

she argues against Karl Marx's claim

Read this and immediately stopped giving a poo poo :hehe:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

just admit you want to play tarot cards with people it's fine

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The discussion in the book of witchcraft as practice is in terms of how it mixed medicine, psychology and social support. You have the material parts but in order to do 'magic' stuff like tarot or fortune telling and so forth, you actually need to be listening to the other person and caring about their emotional needs. So its less about actually believing that magic is real and more about having a framework to provide advice and support that people need. This in turn building bonds and solidarity together. Having the medical knowledge outside of the hands of 'experts' and people having communal bonds with each other is, of course, not something that capitalism can allow. The sincerity and vulnerability of social bonds around feelings that it represents is likewise offensive to the jaded shitposter.

Buck Wildman posted:

just admit you want to play tarot cards with people it's fine

yeah sometimes its nice to hang out with people

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

Having the medical knowledge outside of the hands of 'experts' and people having communal bonds with each other is, of course, not something that capitalism can allow.

Wait, you're going to the doctor?? pfft, have fun being a tool of the international capitalist hegemon. I'm going consult the guy with greasy dreads who lives in a van by the river about realigning my chakras again, we must have done it wrong because now it burns when I pee

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's plenty of real reasons people can have to not trust doctors, they're skilled and educated but they can also be racist poo poo boneheads, let's not treat them like infallible priests of the science god

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

There's plenty of real reasons people can have to not trust doctors, they're skilled and educated but they can also be racist poo poo boneheads, let's not treat them like infallible priests of the science god

you sacrifice ONE goat at the hospital and people are all like "way to treat doctors like infallible priests of the science god, idiot" sick of this bull poo poo

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Lol, again, if people didn't respond so poorly to ribbing the magic thread it wouldn't have been remotely popular

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

some plague rats posted:

Wait, you're going to the doctor?? pfft, have fun being a tool of the international capitalist hegemon. I'm going consult the guy with greasy dreads who lives in a van by the river about realigning my chakras again, we must have done it wrong because now it burns when I pee

In this case, it isn't talking to the guy with dreads now, its doctors in the middle ages deciding that women don't know poo poo and throwing away all of that knowledge so they get to discover things all over again for the first time.

Also, the idea that the medical establishment isn't frequently hostile towards people is pretty ridiculous. There is a difference between critiques of the power dynamics and talking to the guy in a van down by the river.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

Also, the idea that the medical establishment isn't frequently hostile towards people is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not sure why people who are obviously capable of recognizing a shitpost keep saying this like I'm somehow unaware of it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Lol, again, if people didn't respond so poorly to ribbing the magic thread it wouldn't have been remotely popular

cspam is a shitposting forum unless we're talking about something I'm personally invested in, then we all have to be serious

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think a lot of us are probably just feeling pretty raw today

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I think a lot of us are probably just feeling pretty raw today

oh god what happened now

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The supreme court leak mainly

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

some plague rats posted:

cspam is a shitposting forum unless we're talking about something I'm personally invested in, then we all have to be serious

forum tagline

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The supreme court leak mainly

I hadn't even looked at the news today. drown me in piss

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

some plague rats posted:

I'm not sure why people who are obviously capable of recognizing a shitpost keep saying this like I'm somehow unaware of it

I’ll drop it but it’s easier to recognize something as a shitpost when it doesn’t match sincere things that people say all the time.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

What yt ppl think of when they say they’re getting into brujeria:

What I think of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk21JZw6AUM

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

Having the medical knowledge outside of the hands of 'experts' and people having communal bonds with each other is, of course, not something that capitalism can allow.

Shiroc posted:

its doctors in the middle ages deciding that women don't know poo poo and throwing away all of that knowledge so they get to discover things all over again for the first time.

lmao

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some plague rats posted:

:blastback::jiggled::blaster:

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

some plague rats posted:

I hadn't even looked at the news today. drown me in piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

the ideal state of the forums is everyone asking me for permission to do anything like the commuputer in raised by wolves

agreed. everything should be more like raised by wolves