Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

I’ll drop it but it’s easier to recognize something as a shitpost when it doesn’t match sincere things that people say all the time.

how many of these people are posting specifically on a leftist subforum. It's called basic presumption of faith, maybe you should check out this place called "debate & discussion" where they can tell you all about it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Julius Caesar going into cisalpine was a police action

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

larry being forum banned is really funny recontexualized within the forums reaction to the UA/RU war, people wishing death upon jeff, etc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You can just like things, you don't need to like them leftistly.

People in the new witchcraft thread talked about how there was a lot of POC magic, and proceeded to talk about nordic runes for the next couple of pages.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

to be sincere imo there is a line between ribbing and bullying, I believe this line is drawn where the intent is to be inclusive by treating someone as a pal you can joke around with, or to be exclusive by mocking and degrading something somebody cares about to the point where they will no longer feel comfortable sharing it. i think bullying is sometimes warranted but it can make things feel unpleasant and cruel when it's overused.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
tiptup

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bullying is good and more people should do it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

you should win prizes for posting

ok it took a while but this is done now

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Shiroc posted:

I think the next time people want to swarm to mock things like the witchcraft thread under the pretense of upholding Marxism they should actually have to read feminist Marxism https://files.libcom.org/files/Caliban%20and%20the%20Witch.pdf and see how historical witchcraft was women showing social solidarity and mutual support as a class and how that was intentionally destroyed in order to force women into a subject more amenable to capitalism.

i was just lurking this thread to lol at all the permabanned reregs, but this seems really neat, thank you for linking it :cheers:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

i was just lurking this thread to lol at all the permabanned reregs, but this seems really neat, thank you for linking it :cheers:

It’s a really good book. It talks a lot about the Black Plague and how the interests of capital (and pre-capital) change around birth control and abortion depending on the perceived needs for more or less workers. It’s why I was thinking about it again last night.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
the tarot cards in binding of isaac are p good

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

roe v wade going down but not a curdled cow udder in sight smdh

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

new cspam background should be a bunch of animated gifs of this mirroring and rotating and dancing around tiled all over like a 2022 hamster dance

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Voice of Labor posted:

new cspam background should be a bunch of animated gifs of this mirroring and rotating and dancing around tiled all over like a 2022 hamster dance

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

CYBEReris posted:

to be sincere imo there is a line between ribbing and bullying, I believe this line is drawn where the intent is to be inclusive by treating someone as a pal you can joke around with, or to be exclusive by mocking and degrading something somebody cares about to the point where they will no longer feel comfortable sharing it. i think bullying is sometimes warranted but it can make things feel unpleasant and cruel when it's overused.

the line's not really all that clear because often people ridicule those around them not as a joke but because they want them not to believe obvious bullshit or do stupid poo poo. it's still well intentioned, but it's not just for the sake of joking around

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

C-SPAM exists in this weird place where there is both solidarity and also constant attempts at dunking on each other, which I guess is appropriate for a leftist subforum of Something Awful.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

whoa this one has the dress crimping, fancy stuff

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

C-SPAM exists in this weird place where there is both solidarity and also constant attempts at dunking on each other, which I guess is appropriate for a leftist subforum of Something Awful.

it’s what marx would have wanted :ussr:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Following Marx's example where every salient point is followed by pages long footnotes bitching about his 1800s posting enemies.

Ostensible leftists should probably spend less time bullying people they perceive as weaker than them. That kind of bullying to compensate for your own feelings of powerlessness isn't loving praxis or solidarity building.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
witch way western woman

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

this thread rules free Larry

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's a utilitarian gain for disallowing mysticism. forcing everyone to deal with material reality is the only way forward. how polite you should be about it is debatable, but the aim is not

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

there's a utilitarian gain for disallowing mysticism. forcing everyone to deal with material reality is the only way forward. how polite you should be about it is debatable, but the aim is not

I've always found this perspective amusing, as it uses dialectical materialism to reject the material benefits of spirituality.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gently caress it, I'm jumping on the free Larry train

free Larry Parrish

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I reaaaaaaaaly need to dig out a copy of Suspicion and Faith (a text from a Philosophy of Religion course I took in college) and reread the Marx section sometime.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Azathoth posted:

I've always found this perspective amusing, as it uses dialectical materialism to reject the material benefits of spirituality.

I think you're mistaking the benefits of having community and hope as being benefits of spirituality. in so far as spirituality and religion overlap, any benefits, even falsely attributed, don't come close to matching the harm done on the world by religion. it's not worth it. it's sociological meth. sure you might get your house cleaned, but you're gonna end up loosing all your teeth and annihilating indigenous people

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

idc whether religion is materialist or not but some of the passages in the bible about rich people having their stuff rot and being tormented are pretty cool imo

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

and then you get the stuff about this world not mattering and the totally non existent after life being the big deal. so even if you condemn the abuses of wealth you're incentivized to turn the other cheek when you're being robbed and murdered. it kinda cancels out, or is contradictory, as religious texts tend to be

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think you're mistaking the benefits of having community and hope as being benefits of spirituality. in so far as spirituality and religion overlap, any benefits, even falsely attributed, don't come close to matching the harm done on the world by religion. it's not worth it. it's sociological meth. sure you might get your house cleaned, but you're gonna end up loosing all your teeth and annihilating indigenous people

indigenous people, notable for not having religion of their own

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

if you worship animals or jesus you deserve to be colonized

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Filthy Hans posted:

gently caress it, I'm jumping on the free Larry train

free Larry Parrish

:nice:

true, but there’s a wide spectrum between organized religion, and a womens’ circle trading herb tips, and goons taking weird drugs and posting their lucid dreams. materialism doesn’t mean banning all non-material thought and expression.

idk. the world is pretty bleak and grim right now. i don’t blame anyone for finding meaning wherever they can, whether that’s art or horoscopes or shitposting about crabs.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The one thing we know for sure is that scientific material enlightenment has never been used to justify racist and colonial violence.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if you worship animals or jesus you deserve to be colonized

gently caress you cats are adorable

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think religion may serve a different function based on the material something something dialectic.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Korean Boomhauer posted:

the tarot cards in binding of isaac are p good

Yes.

Also Jojo's.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Look, my knowledge in the power of magic tells me that shared belief is a required component in magical efficacy and cspam posters are actually especially well-trained in spotting and taking down group magical thinking that can lead to faulty trust in politicians and poli/econ disasters etc. They jump on that kinda poo poo like catnip and then the magical posters often get forced to defend some reproducible ability of theirs or othershit - it's all dumb but you should separate church and state IMO.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
i only worship chaos meme's now. very lo-ki

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think religion may serve a different function based on the material something something dialectic.

it's never been used for anything other than empowering a small group of parasitic elites at the expense of the working majority

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I mean if I have to choose between witches and Online Atheists, just Etsy me up right now. There are worse things than smelling like a Bed, Bath and Beyond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calibanibal posted:

I mean if I have to choose between witches and Online Atheists, just Etsy me up right now. There are worse things than smelling like a Bed, Bath and Beyond