Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Dreylad posted:

Alec has been permabanned I believe.

To submit myself to conscientious self-criticism, I think one of the things I've learned to spot and try to stop is main character syndrome, where people do just that. It's tough to know when to pull the plug because sometimes people enjoy just flaming the person, and that person also seems to get some weird perverse pleasure getting dunked on, and as long as it sticks to general teasing there's nothing really wrong with that. But it almost always turns sour at some point and then you have to step in.

I also posted about it in the thread earlier, but I think the U/R thread is in a good place with some IK support. It's my fault that it ever got to the point where it needed to be put into slow mode. I needed to get help covering the thread before it got to that point. So that's on me.

Main character syndrome doesn't exist, it's just a stupid thing mods made up in order to do less work.

Free Alec!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Azathoth posted:

Unfortunately, cumshitter is going to stay perma'ed. Even though Alec goaded him and I'm generally sympathetic to him, what he said was way over the line and we do take a very hard line towards doxxing and threats of such.

If anyone had stepped in and given cumshitter a cooldown probe it never would have come to a perma.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

TheSlutPit posted:

Admittedly it’s hard to feel like you’re part of the conversation if you don’t get quoted a few times, but people who take this to an insane conclusion and spam posts until they get their yellow/purple dopamine rush loving suck. Part of the zen of posting on a web1.0 forum is knowing that people are reading your posts and thinking about them even if they don’t feel it necessary to quote in response.

Alec had a bunch of haters because he tried something new. Punishing that was stupid. Azathoth already admitted they didn't have enough staff to moderate effectively during that time. If he had faith in his new mods and IKs, he could bring back Alec and Cumshitter and there wouldn't be a problem the mods couldn't solve.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Filthy Hans posted:

iirc a bunch of Trimp thread regulars quit the subforum specifically because of Alec Eiffelry

I'm sorry, I just can't imagine quitting because someone else is posting too much. Alec wasn't even aggro, people went on the attack whenever they saw him post. It was weird, and if they feel more comfortable posting on the discord instead of the forums, let them post on the discord. It's not like they came back.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Larry was aggro and weird, Alec was just weird. Unjust perma for sure.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

There are more than enough mods to deal with any problems now. It's time to free Alec and ask him if he felt threatened by Cumshitter. If not, free them both.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Azathoth posted:

Multiple people PMed me to tell me such, and from what I can see it was true. His posting was demonstrably driving away other poster whether you believe it or not.

Is that against the rules?

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Azathoth posted:

The problem with Alec was not that he should have been modded "better" but rather that his schtick was allowed to continue for as long as it did. When I came on as mod, I tried to get him to change his ways to be more in line with a harmonious thread, he actively resisted all that and refused to help the Trump thread be anything other than the Alec Eiffel thread. In the end, he decided he'd rather be permabanned than not be the star of the thread.

Is it possible that earlier intervention could have stopped him from going full psycho? Sure, it probably would have, but he was given ample opportunity to step back from the brink and chose not to. I have no reason to believe that if he were let back in that he would not just do the same poo poo.

Unlike cumshitter, I have no sympathy for Alec and the community is better off without him.

"Don't make life hard for Azathoth" is not a forum rule. Free Alec and Cumshitter both.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Azathoth posted:

Isn't it about time for you to ragequit this account in a huff and start a new one?

I'll outlast you, bithc.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Azathoth posted:

I have it on good authority that it's something I made up.

It's definitely something mods made up in order to ignore the queue. Effective moderation would fix 90% of "main character" bullshit, which is just people having disagreements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Azathoth posted:

Alec, I genuinely think that you should detox yourself from these forums, they're not good for you and you're not good for them, but yes if you can come back and be normal and it's good for you and no one goes "oh yeah that's totally Alec" more power to you. That post will cost you $10 however.

I'm not sure anyone needs this level of moralizing and judgment from a forums mod. You should free Alec and let him post. You should also free cumshitter, because apparently he didn't doxx anyone according to Alec.