Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We now have the nuclear war and weapons thread. I have tons of good poo poo to post later but I’m also kind of sick with Covid currently…so sorry for a poo poo OP.

Enjoy a picture and the excellent movie BY DAWNS EARLY LIGHT.

https://youtu.be/AFLtRIwMqxY

Seriously the cast in this movie is bonkers tier and directed by the same guy who did Freddy 2.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
They say the only winning move is not to play but humans are really good at coming up with technicalities for why they actually won when they really lost.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
u cant hug a child with nuclear arms

makes u think...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

sporkstand posted:

u cant hug a child with nuclear arms

makes u think...

You can actually, makes them warm and fuzzy inside!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I spend every day from 4pm until sunset pointing my rear end skyward, spreading my butt cheeks wide while repeatedly screaming "NUKE THIS, PUTIN! NUKE MY rear end, COWARD!" and apparently he isn't listening.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
you can't eat rear end with nuclear arms

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I wonder if I should become a prepper. Can you be a prepper if you live in a condo?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Marshal Prolapse posted:

We now have the nuclear war and weapons thread. I have tons of good poo poo to post later but I’m also kind of sick with Covid currently…so sorry for a poo poo OP.

Enjoy a picture and the excellent movie BY DAWNS EARLY LIGHT.

https://youtu.be/AFLtRIwMqxY

Seriously the cast in this movie is bonkers tier and directed by the same guy who did Freddy 2.

Feel better, my dude.

By Dawn's Early Light is a great "what if" film from the 90s.

I cannot recommend War Games enough as well to get a good look at why nuclear war is just an all around illogical move:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chief McHeath posted:

I spend every day from 4pm until sunset pointing my rear end skyward, spreading my butt cheeks wide while repeatedly screaming "NUKE THIS, PUTIN! NUKE MY rear end, COWARD!" and apparently he isn't listening.

If your rear end is pointed up, then your scream pipe is facing down. He can't hear you.
You need to teach that rear end to broadcast.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The fear of being one of the few hundred people killed in a random terrorist attack is so lame compared to Cold War nuclear annihilation fear.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Buce posted:

I wonder if I should become a prepper. Can you be a prepper if you live in a condo?

Sure.
PREPARE to take what you need using violence from those weaker than you after whatever goes down happens. Congrats you're more thoroughly prepared than those around you.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nuclear war and mutually assured destruction is some gay rear end poo poo ngl!!!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The apocalypse is gonna be a delicious montage of Hard Men Doing Whatever It Takes trying to rob, and getting their asses kicked by people who simply got to know their neighbours

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
He thought that the world's heart beat at some terrible cost and that the world's pain and its beauty moved in a relationship of diverging equity and that in this headlong deficit the blood of multitudes might ultimately be exacted for the vision of a single flower.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

The apocalypse is gonna be a delicious montage of Hard Men Doing Whatever It Takes trying to rob, and getting their asses kicked by people who simply got to know their neighbours

Not really.

I mean everyone is gonna die really, really badly in the dark. Most likely wet and cold on top of it, unable to even raise the strength to curse a non-existent god or the world that put them in that spot. Worrying about who knew their neighbor or who took advantage of it for the last 15 minutes the lights were on won't even register for 99.9% of all human life left after whatever goes on.

Ok well enjoy the weekend.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean that's the urban survival apocalypse vs the nuclear armageddon apocalypse for you.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Feel better, my dude.

By Dawn's Early Light is a great "what if" film from the 90s.

I cannot recommend War Games enough as well to get a good look at why nuclear war is just an all around illogical move:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

Thanks! Luckily I was vaccinated and boosted so instead of dead I’m just mildly under the weather, which is a nice a trade-off. I’m still just amazed with how good the case they got for up by dawns early light was, next to like citizen X*, it was probably one of the best of the old school original HBO movies.

Basically it could out of reading stuff like that hackets World War III book and also loving the ever living poo poo out of playing Harpoon as a kid. I also blame finding a copy of managing nuclear operations in my school‘s library when I was in college and board did I like checking that book again and again. lol

Apparently Brookings is putting out a newer updated version of that to cover modern nuclear operations this year.

*Funny enough the two movies share a cast member overlap.
Jeffery DeMunn

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

got this book from a goodwill. i'll tell you, it made me think twice about committing nuclear holocaust.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

got this book from a goodwill. i'll tell you, it made me think twice about committing nuclear holocaust.

Counterpoint and also lol at the music.

https://youtu.be/qPhjMHBBdbM

https://youtu.be/8b8LLcdBaQc

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

nobody is willing to publish my children's book, 7.75 billion reasons to have a nuclear war

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
DUCK AND COVER!!!

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
The thing that scares me is their media ramping up on making a nuclear strike somehow not a terrible thing, because they'll all just go to heaven! I included the time stamp, Russian broadcasters taking about the invasion:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pcTaLKaRjy4&t=347s

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i believe that nuclear weapons will be used to destroy a major civilian center within the next century, and it will be by accident, not intentionally launched.

humans can gently caress up any safety protocol, no matter how many redundancies are in place. it's what separates us from the animals.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I was told a single Ohio class sub can nuke a billion people. Is this true?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You can actually, makes them warm and fuzzy inside!

Terrifying, yet true

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tekne posted:

I was told a single Ohio class sub can nuke a billion people. Is this true?

Real talk: No.
It could hit anywhere on earth, so that could kill millions of people. In the abstract? Yes. It could kill everyone

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
We should all just nuke eachother, im so tired of being alive.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
does your student debt go away if you're evaporated in atomic armageddon?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

frumpykvetchbot posted:

no, sorry. In the wasteland you will owe Bank Of America $300,000. It won't mean anything to the collectors, but they will still come

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Well, dang. Was trying to find something to cheer about. Both sides and all that.

All things being equal we should maybe not do the atomic armageddon thing then.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm constantly baffled by most people's complete and utter inability to wrap their heads around the correct pronunciation of the word nuclear. Not just random people I talk to IRL, but even newscasters and experts on TV. The word doesn't contain any obscure or difficult phonemes for native English speakers. It's just so arbitrary and stupid. I remember people making fun of George Bush back in the early 2000s for saying nucular, but I think he actually ended up infecting the general public with it and now like 70% of people say it that way.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Well, dang. Was trying to find something to cheer about. Both sides and all that.

All things being equal we should maybe not do the atomic armageddon thing then.

sorry to break the news, but, those guys are relentless

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm constantly baffled by most people's complete and utter inability to wrap their heads around the correct pronunciation of the word nuclear. Not just random people I talk to IRL, but even newscasters and experts on TV. The word doesn't contain any obscure or difficult phonemes for native English speakers. It's just so arbitrary and stupid. I remember people making fun of George Bush back in the early 2000s for saying nucular, but I think he actually ended up infecting the general public with it and now like 70% of people say it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nth4RqqmQZ4

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

people are idiot fucks

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe they should just change the spelling of the word to reflect the way the majority pronounces it

that's the only fair way to do it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What if a nuke came flying towards us and instead of exploding as we scream in terror and fear it just makes the loudest fart sound you've ever heard and your ears are ringing for a week afterwards

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What if a nuke came flying towards us and instead of exploding as we scream in terror and fear it just makes the loudest fart sound you've ever heard and your ears are ringing for a week afterwards

WHAT?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

frumpykvetchbot posted:

don't worry, the irs has you! dunno if this pertains to student loans but im sure there is a contingency plan.

the irs plan to collect taxes after a nuclear attack.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

is that what that was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Bad Purchase posted:

maybe they should just change the spelling of the word to reflect the way the majority pronounces it

that's the only fair way to do it

it would be kind of more fair to make the nukes sapient and then ask them what their preferred pronouns are.

that went really well in Dark Star