Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Umineko 2 should be the Scream 2 of the franchise if you know what I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm in episode 8 of Higurashi and ready for it to be over. I get that it's a mystery game at it's core, but I really dig the horror adjacent sections in the questions arc more than the reveals to the meta-narrative in the answers arc. I do appreciate that the character interactions stay pretty great through the whole story.

I look forward to reading Umineko later down the line though it may be a while before I'll commit to another 8 part saga.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I think Umineko has more room for expansion than Higurashi, if anything. By the end of Higurashi, every character with a portrait has had their past and present run over with a fine-toothed comb*, and the small, isolated setting makes adding new characters difficult to justify. Umineko has a massive cast, and only those at the top level of relevance (Battler, Beatrice, Ange, and Yasu) receive as much attention as the Game Club; below them are a great many people (the remaining Ushiromiyas and their servants; the more important members of the fantasy cast) who are about as fleshed-out as Ooishi, and below those you've still got a couple dozen characters who are Rina-tier. In particular, Erika has so much more room for development that she could be the protagonist of her own novel. The setting, meanwhile, encompasses a vast metaphysical universe; Higurashi just has infinite Hinamizawas.

*OK, excluding Rina

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ugh I want Ciconia Phase 2 to come out.

it's real life, op

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nyoro posted:

Umineko is actually the greatest thing ever written, I'm actually surprised I got to see the peak of human storytelling in my lifetime

I'm not nearly enough well-read to make any sort of conclusion like this, but it just has a specific message and way of communicating that message that I think is very special and unique.

Like I love House at Fata Morgana (probably my second favorite VN), but the way it tells its stories of tragedies is far more...normal, I guess, even though it's really well done.

Chev posted:

As stated as soon as the third arc (and implied earlier if you pay attention) Umineko's structure affords the existence of extra and "missing" episodes so it's not the obstacle it might seem.

It does, but it would either have to be fundamentally separate from the existing episodes (which have an ongoing metanarrative) or sort of inserted between any if episodes 1-4. Higurashi mostly has zero continuity between its episodes.

I'd like to see characters like (spoiled because you can maybe infer something from this) Hideyoshi or Jessica explored more in hypothetical extra Umineko episodes.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 28, 2022

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Spiggy posted:

I'm in episode 8 of Higurashi and ready for it to be over. I get that it's a mystery game at it's core, but I really dig the horror adjacent sections in the questions arc more than the reveals to the meta-narrative in the answers arc. I do appreciate that the character interactions stay pretty great through the whole story.

I look forward to reading Umineko later down the line though it may be a while before I'll commit to another 8 part saga.

Honestly I would say (full Higurashi spoilers) It's not really a mystery, at least not as it's primary genre/core. It's really a deconstruction of the horror/mystery subgenre. You are set up with "hey look nice friends getting along" before the chapters go through a bunch of horror tropes which end up being delusional.

In chapter one it tries to get you that your friends are all evil and trying to kill you. Chapter 2 is another variant but this time just one that is possessed by an evil force and is losing themselves to it. Chapter 3 you get the murder thriller subgenre. Chapter 4 gets you the "creepy little girl" subgenre.

In the end, each of these are deconstructed. In chapter 1, Keiich is the one actually going insane. In chapter 2 it's not weird possession, it's your friend's sister losing it. In chapter 3, the act of murdering breaks Keiichi's brain. In chapter 4, yeah she's a bit creepy, she's depressed. :(

Chapters 5, 6, and 7, are responses to 2, 1, and 3 respectively. The messages of the game are clear:

1) Take care of yourself mentally. Check on with yourself and your loved ones to keep a reality check on you.

2) Be understanding of other people, particularly when it comes to mental issues. Check in with them regularly to make sure they are okay, and in general be proactive and approachable.

3) Don't give up. Even if the system seems rigged against you, find (with your close network of support) what you can do to fix those issues.

4) Give yourself time before making rash actions. Rarely do things need to be solved in a day. Brainstorm solutions with your network of support.

Chapter 8 is just the emotional resolution.

Higurashi doesn't really care much about the mystery in the second half, since in a sense it was only bait in the first place. It mainly concerns itself with this message along with character development. Chapter 8 does go a bit too far into "I'll explain every last detail" but saying it is concerned about the mystery is inaccurate I think.

Anyways, it's partly this reason that I like Higurashi more than Umineko. (full umienko spoilers) Umineko's main message is about not necessarily needing to pursue the truth, but staring into the abyss to the point of self-harm has never been much of a thing to me (though given how people use the internet, maybe it has relevance to many others). It has some more nebulous theming of gender and identity (which I don't really connect to as a cis man), and about empathy (which is also a theme of Higurashi).

Meanwhile, Higurashi's theme of mental health and perseverence are much more relatable to me.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 28, 2022

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/czerwonyrower/status/1530952441231028224

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I bet Umi.EP7 Lion would've liked to have unlimited Will points.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The witch shall praise the wise and bestow four treasures.
One shall be stop aging.
One shall be add 1k medpacks.
One shall be the max oxygen.
One shall be max drunk.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nep-Nep posted:

The witch shall praise the wise and bestow four treasures.
One shall be stop aging.
One shall be add 1k medpacks.
One shall be the max oxygen.
One shall be max drunk.
her life would've gone a lot differently if she'd had that power

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Higurashi Ep 1 END

the TIPS are leaning heavy into the Multiple personality angle, if we follow this garden path I think it leads us this way. Rena is unstable, she has multiple personality disorder, she's trying to off us, this is the Reina personality. What I think is the real facts is. Reina is a way for Rena to deal with some form of abuse she's suffering, as the TIPS suggest, she's trying to figure out why we're acting insane, and poo poo's gonna pop off. As much as I love de Palma's work I don't think Ryukushi is going to pull a Sister's on us.

The TIPS about the food mart is pure paranoia. Just like the shadow on Keichi's back that was totally there right until he turned around. He's certain that Rena was watching him but he's just making poo poo up. She coulda been there, but Keichi is also the new dude and he's making a scene in the grocer's likely the old ladies are gossiping about it and Rena coulda been shooting Pool with Fast Eddie on the other side of town and still heard.

Back to the game and I'm already done with Keichi's poo poo. Dude's living the cocaine finale of Goodfellas but without the good camera work or coke. Just the paranoia.
His Uniform is covered in Mud. Sand Plague?
Fun Fact; the Soundtrack for this game sucks poo poo so far, So I've been listening to my own poo poo. And Mozart's Lacrimosa just came on. Very fitting if the lad dies.

Ryukushi please get to the loving point, I get it, we get it
Mion: "Stop swinging a bat like a crazy person"
Keichi: "I've not violated any non aggression pacts we've signed nor infringed upon you're rights in the marketplace of ideas, now begone woman"
Keichi is the Libertarian hero I didn't want nor needed.

Mion Confirms that she's the one who stuck a needle into the Dango, I'd thought it might've just been a mistake by Rena who was flustered doing needlework while trying to wrap them, a dumb thing to do but she is an idiot. Mion saves her and also proves how loving insane and out of control Keichi has gotten. One could think the Chief is in on all this nonsense trying and drive the lad crazy, but I don't think so. Dude seems more like he got a real ax to grind and this is incidental.

Don't make girls cry dumbass, easiest tip for a happy life

Keichi you're trying to get Cicada's to tell you what's happening, You are insane, go off yourself so we can move on to EP2

Rena is literally telling you she's your ally, she wants to discuss the killings, she doesn't want you to end up like Satoshi. Keichi you dumb motherfucker open your loving ears for a goddamn second and listen, I mean actually listen. I do not want to be stuck with your stupid rear end for seven more episodes, either start listening or die and give your role to someone who didn't get a frontal lobotomy before hitting the VN scene.

Cutting from Rena holding an Axe to exposition about Rena attacking people with a bat is called killing your tension, poor job Ryukushi. It was mentioned that Mion's relatives were in the Government perhaps they helped kill the investigation in exchange for Rena coming back home, for what purpose I know not.

I think we can get something going with the information Oishi is dropping though. Ryukushi plays a lot with the idea of information that's TRUE but out of context. So let's re-contextualize and synthesize. Rena likes to find displaced things and find a "Home" for them, she's newly back to Hinamizawa, She detests lies, believes in Oyashirosama's curse, and attacked some boys with a bat. Now what if her preponderance for collection and finding homes is because she feels she has none. The Psychiatrcy report says she had her mom attending, and then she left the room. Scenario. Rena's dad promises that he'll never leave her or her mother and then get's divorced, she develops a complex about lies, perhaps she wanted to leave hinamizawa and thinks the divorce is her fault as many children do, this is expressed in her belief that she's crossed Oyashirosama. Then one of her friends makes and insensitive comment or lies to her and she goes apeshit on the group, rather than being gagged the gang feels embarassed once they realize what they did and that's why they don't talk. Rena feeling guilty that she left Hinamizawa and, in her mind broke up her family, decides to go back and live with her dad, whose likely neglectful of her. Dealing with her own poo poo she feels responsible for whatever happened to Satoshi. She determines not to make the same mistake with Keichi but then he starts running the same plays, plus goes loving insane. Likely she's suffered some form of physical abuse in the past, her apologizing while getting her fingers broken and then covering for him the next day is a huge tell. She brings the Axe, perhaps to defend herself, but maybe she did just find something cute. Keichi thinks it's insane to be carrying around an axe, yet she did the same three four days ago without him blinking an eye.

I should've clicked forward before typing all that cause it's getting confirmed and I coulda saved myself some typing

Keichi you dumb gently caress, the bat has nothing to do with anything it's just a common item for a teenager to have, I'm so over your dumb rear end. You only ask the dumbest loving questions. or come to nonsense conclusions that don't make sense to nobody.

Keichi feels he's running a scripted plot, I;m gonna keep that in mind. Trying to figure out the Meta angle of this piece.

Keichi homie, my stupid idiot eyes on this journey, you're now experincing the paranoia that the Photo man felt, just accept your death.

I punched some guy and then they came after me this proves they were always after me - Keichi Maebara summarized
This poo poo is beyond parody

Rena saved you and nursed you back to health? Are you still so Naive keichi kun, she's lured you right into her trap, having a body at the dam might raise suspicion. Now she can poison you in the house, she's already called a doctor to pronounce you dead!!

And now Mion is here to help murder you. Sad you'd fall for such an obvious ploy

I'm guessing Satoko or Rika is the Baseball team manager and that's whom they called.

Breaking this down is easy. The syringe isn't real nor is most of what Mion is saying. Keichi's brain has gone back into full on delusions but is still trying to process what happened to him. It's connecting the "Attacks" that Tomitake suffered with his own delusions and linking it back to the dose he got at the clinic. Mion has probably got a feather or something innocuous but Keichi is to paranoid to realize.

Rena, Keichi doesn't have to play dumb, he is dumb
Mion grabs his chest too, that isn't where you inject things.

Lmao good job hero
Heroically killing your friends for no reason.
Why stop now little homie, go kill Rika and Satoko too
gently caress it kill Oishi and your parents

Lmfao I want to see Oishi try and investigate poo poo based on your note.
You murdered two girls in your room, named them as conspiring with a dead man and a secret cabal of managers working out of a white van. No wonder the mf wants to retire.

I wonder if that syringe is actually real, It shouldn't be. Why would either of those two have it unless they're like diabetic or something.

Keichi is on levels of cope I didn't think were possible

This Mahjong scene is probably important, but I don't understand Mahjong at all.

Let's all just take a second and think how much better Beatrice's reveal was then the ending of this game.

we've got a lot to unpack with the end here so let's get to it.

The Bisected note that got re-hidden seems to be pointing towards a very late reveal that the Chief was in on it all. That is misdirection I believe. Ryukushi calls the five minutes to the phone booth to stick that number in your head, but that was local PD. Oishi would've been in the city, I think like 30 minutes away. And we already know that Mion and Rena called over a doctor and a manager. If we assume the "Manager" is either Satoko or Rika, they manage the baseball team or maybe the gamesclub, or perhaps even their parents are some managerial figure. We know Rika is a Priestess, but we've got very little info of Satoko other than her being Haughty and her brother being missing. But if there's some deeper conspiracy. Mion's family is the Political faction, Rika's the Religious, perhaps Satoko's is the Commercial, she might own most of the shops in town this also might be how Rena and Mion knew Keichi ate at the diner with Oishi. Interestingly Rena's families career doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but Keichi's family would in some way be the Cultural center of the town, with both Keichi and his father capturing what the town is like in it's moments, in painting form or however Keichi is relating this tale to us. At any rate, given the episodes fascination with Needles, I'm ninety percent sure that Keichi was drugged into his Paranoia, and the idea of Mion and Rena injecting him to kill him is a feint by Ryukushi. If he was poisoned then it must've happened either in the Clinic or with the poisoned rice ball Rena delivered. The game of clue they were playing said something to the effect of Rena being the killer, whom poisoned someone in the entrance way, which points to her. But she didn't make the Rice balls it seems, Mion did, and Mion was obviously just loving around and seems to feel pretty torn up about Keichi's insanity. But, the Rena killer could still be playing out with her being unwitting and Mion as well if someone in Mion's family pulled something to try and bump off Keichi once they realized he was talking to the Cops. Actually I suppose Oishi coulda poisoned him when they ate at the restaurant too. Most likely though is that the Doctor whom Keichi seems to have seen at the door was actually there, and he did a quick Cleanup job Mike style. The fact they cut off only the drug part of the message is the most telling. If Satoko or Rika are in on it then maybe they would've done that too, but if Oishii is trying to cover things up it would be easier for him to just take the whole note. The Hospital is the most suspicious. They not only gave him a Jab for a cold, the Nurse went missing, but she seemed to be in a relationshop with Tomitake, except Tomitake is supposed to only be in the town for a few weeks at a time. So either he's actually in the town more, or She's out of the town most of the time. The Hospital is also noticeably new and large compared to it's surroundings and has bus terminals, for a small town to have a Large clinic with bus service even though no busses seem to run through Hinamizawa says that their probably moving large groups of people in and out of their hospital, probably under cover of night. So I'm in the camp the doctor took it, and Oishi might be an actual good guy but he's barking up the wrong trees. I'm also not sure the Syringe on the back of the confession is even real. They say their was much tape on the letter, but the letter also would've been hung up three times, twice by Keichi and once by The Doctor/Manager. So the tape could just be from the lack of tackiness on each re tape. The drug seems to conflate ones memory, reality, and paranoia. Rena was probably not carrying an ax on the way to talking with Keichi, but him having seen it the days before put the image in his mind, same as the people who "attacked" him. Oishi telling Keichi about the Rena Reina thing also probably put the whole idea of split personality in his head that he ended up manifesting with his idea that her and then Mion could be possessed. The idea of clawin out his own throat might've been adopted from hearing about it from the description of tomitake's death and not from a desire to do so as well.

Last thing is to take a look at the characters, given how the novel seems it looks like each episode will be focusing on one of the Heroines, and then maybe some Answer episodes. This novel was clearly pretty Rena focused with an assist from Mion and I expect the others to follow suit.

Rena: Pretty open and shut I think, outsider, probably in love with Keichi, not acting shady at all in this EP and wanted to help. Given what the Text says about her circumstances with her parents I'm sure she's a child of divorce, blames herself for it, probably lives with her dad and is suffering from some form of abuse. She outright says multiple times that Keichi and her are natural ally's and that she's trying to help him, and Keichi's verbal and later physical abuse of her is pretty heinous of him especially given the character she is. As for the Reina thing, and the Oyashirosama curse. I think that's more of her own mental guilt and suffering expressing themselves. I don't think she's infected like Keichi was, or that she's got an actual split personality. On a personal level, a she's loving annoying cardcaptor looking mf

Mion: The closest we have to a secondary Heroine. I think she's just a big fan of the Town and promoting and defending it, and Keichi mistakes this for malice. She seems to also have a thing for Keichi, and most of her actions are just her trying to badly flirt with him or defend the town. Even not bringing up Satoshi which is probably really hard on all of them and the fact that Keichi thinks she should owe him an explanation for everything right away after he transferred is crazy, especially after she rolled out the red carpet to make him feel welcome in town. I do think her family is in to some poo poo. I don't think I've ever seen a show, not written by Sorkin, where politicians are the good guys and bringing it up is pretty implicit that they're going to be in on something. Personally, she's my favorite character and the only one I'd actually hang with in town. Maybe her and Oishii, Oishii definitely knows all the best restaurants.

Rika: A very odd one, her and Satoko fall way off in screen time after the festival. But she unlike Satoko gets one real scene after that where she tells Keichi to keep the Bat of Satoshi. There's a lot of ways to unpack that. Keichi was never in danger from his friends, if she knew that then why tell him to do some OFF cosplay? But, if she did think he was in danger, why would she help him in such an ineffectual way that only ended with her friends getting killed? I think, the comment could be innocuous, perhaps she's is the "Manager" and it's of the baseball team, she see's him practicing and thinks of it as him wanting to get into it, or perhaps she feels that he has earned the right to carry Satoshi's bat. Why she would be the one giving it away is dumb but what are you going to do. Or it's not innocuous and she's trying to get Keichi killed, her parents are also victims but perhaps of her own machinations, or perhaps she was feeling the same level of delusions and thought Keichi was in danger and wanted him to be able to defend themselves. None of these feel good to me, and I can't suss out why she would say it. If this is a Timeloop game, then she's the first choice of mine for the person who realizes it that all Loop games need. Not only does she look just like Bernkastel, and the game opened with a letter from Bern. She's also the shrine maiden which must have some significance, and she says odd things that seem aimed at the reader more than Keichi, her motives and means remain unknown. Personally, I'm intrigued by her, but mostly because of Umineko, she's not done much of anything this route.

Satoko: I know nothing about her. I thought she was poor girl trying to be rich, now I think she's a rich girl acting spoiled. Her family might own some shops? Her brother is missing but Keichi is an idiot so he never even talks with her about it. She's fond of setting traps and setting them as such that she's many steps ahead which means she could be on some next next level poo poo with the conspiracy. But we know nothing about her really. Personally, She's also annoying

Oishii, I did think he was in on it, but I think he might either be on the outside, or only partially in on it, Having helped with the old coverups, but is now trying to get to the truth before he retires. Him destroying evidence in Keichi's home is a misdirection. Him being so conspicious with Keichi probably was more of a signal to the Club that he was watching them hoping to send a message, I don't think he was actually trying to pin his hopes on such a dumb dumb child.

Tomitake and Nurse: They're into something but I'm not sure what. He was likely killed when he tried to flip, hell Oishii probably pounced on him like he did Keichi. Another theory I thought of, if he was carrying around a camera and was dating the Nurse, perhaps he was a fed or PI doing recon on whatever is going on in the town, he went with the Nurse to try and pump information out of her, but she gave him the crazy juice instead. She is probably alive then and just skipped town, that's a theory that everyone Spirited away is actually the perpetrator and the victims were poisoned.

Keichi Maebara: Total idiot. I find it actively tiring to play as him in a way I never did with Battler even in Battler's most incompetent or lecherous moments. Keichi is an rear end in a top hat pretty actively to Rena even though she's got a very obvious and sweet crush on him. Battler was perverted, but that was mostly bluster to cover for his uncomfortability in meeting his family again, he was very okay with making himself out to be the "Bad Guy" as long as it made everyone happy, broke the ice, and cut the tension. Maebara meanwhile seems to find pleasure in humiliating his friends, and is quite angry, quick to judge, and unsympathetic to them. It's probably his Arc in the story to learn how not to be a dick, but right now the dude is a total prick with zero redeeming features. And the fact that the group seems to faun over him almost seems to be bad writing. Rena is in a similar boat to him and has a crush so that makes sense, and Mion seems also smitten and probably wants him to feel at home in her village she prides over. But Satoko and Rika have no such need to stroke Keichi's ego. I hope that when I fire up the next EP it turns out that it takes place the next year with a new lad, or I;m playing as Rena or something other than being stuck with this moron for 200 more hours.

Well, I got the All Cast Review left, which I assume is like the Tea Parties? Guess we'll find out

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All Cast Review EP1 Higurashi

That's certainly a bare bones version of the tea parties. I think there is some stuff to be gained. I think Kei is on the money with thinking that it's a curse and people. As Ooishi says, gods are created by people, so someone created this curse for some reason. And they have some goal in mind, they also need Kei gone from the picture. Two, they comment on the nature of VN's being grasping at dead ends until you find the true route, perhaps this is a commentary on the medium the same way Umineko was for Mystery Novels. Keichi and Hinamizawa itself is going to have to keep repeating events over and over until they find their own ending. Two Kei is called out on not having a sprite, perhaps Ryukushi is playing with expectations here. Like Ever17 or something, not sure on that, but on that note every single sprite participated in the after party, except the Nurse. Gonna keep that in my pocket.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
So, I ended up finishing Episode 4 of Umineko there today, though somewhat accidentally since I mistakenly kept thinking "oh, I guess it's nearly over" at multiple points and blitzing through a big chunk at once thanks to that. Very much enjoyed the Question Arcs, and while I definitely have ideas on some things as a whole, I'll probably take a read through sections of prior arcs over on the LP Archive to think things through on certain points and events (and try to post a before/after of what I was thinking on the events of previous episodes since, whoops, I fell asleep yesterday when I meant to post some mid-Ep 4 thoughts.).

Some loosely organized general overall thoughts on a few things, covering spoilers from all of Episode 4 of Umineko, including the post-episode Tea Party/??? segments:
So while I have ideas on the events taking place in the Episodes themselves, some of the overarching points relating to the mystery are certainly a lot less solid so far, mostly in regards to Beatrice, especially in regards to there being multiple versions of her per Battler's test in Ep 4. Are they both different aspects of the legend? Is one somehow Kinzo's view of Beatrice dragged back as part of the resurrection ceremony? At least one of the versions of Beatrice supposedly "didn't exist" as of 6 years ago and Bern describes her as being a personification of the rules of the world, so I'm guessing one is some sort of personification of the legend of the Golden Witch based on the Epitaph. The Epitaph was hung up while Battler had left the family, so if that revision birthed a "new" Beatrice, it could explain that point in regards to when she began to exist at least.

The other thing I'm leaning towards a bit more on what one of the identities of Beatrice is, is that of a volcano though. Her last mystery posed at the end of Ep 4 talked about how Battler was alone on the island, the last one alive, yet on how she was still "there" and would kill him. I'd initially thought the "accident" which covered up most of the events of the 4th/5th was an explosive/incendiary device set up by Kinzo as part of the "the Witch gets the Ushiromiya's everything when I die" portion of the legend, but I don't see Beatrice's identity being tied to something as mundane as that. Considering the island having the old Japanese shrine on it, chances are that it was built there to pacify a volcano/ward against eruptions in the past. Thinking on the Ep 4 Tips mention on one of her magics being able to make "precious metals manifest", a quick confirmation Google also shows that volcanic activity is also associated with gold deposits, which would explain how Kinzo could manage to come into such a large amount of it so secretly if the island also has some sort of mine in addition to the mansions. The ??? section seems to imply that the "Who am I?" question is one of two hidden moves Beatrice had from the whole arms scene though, so I'm unsure on what her last trick is here either, so that'll be a fun surprise in future episodes I'd wager.

On Battler's sin, I'm guessing this is linked to his leaving the family hurting Maria in some form, since Beato seems incredibly serious about this despite not being directly involved per her red truth on the matter, though not necessarily directly as Maria can barely remember Battler by the time they meet again. Ange also seems to think her actions in the past were at least part of what darkened Mariage Sorciere, so if this is also linked to that (or his leaving being the source of Ange doing so), that in turn could lead to the events on Rokkenjima claiming everyone's lives in the end. I'm guessing it's also tied to the identity of Maria's Beatrice too, since handwriting confirms they had wrote in Maria's grimoire/diary as well as the letters sent out to the families of those on the island during the incident. Those letters confirm that they were involved in some way, so it's not too much of a stretch to think that they planned the destruction of the Ushiromiya family due to whatever hurt Maria, making them the real mastermind.

As to the mysteries of who the culprit is, I'm thinking that while the "main" killer may change in each episode, that most (if not all) of Kinzo's servants/friends present are in on it depending on the episode, at least for the initial 6 deaths. Genji is the main point of contact to what is effectively a dead man at the start of each episode, the deaths of "Kanon" and "Shannon" who have real names seeming to be one of the main loopholes in the witch's red truths, Nanjo being in the perfect position to misdiagnose deaths, and Kumasawa and Genji both being vessels for an ally of the witch's side in the fantasy sections. Gohda is the only one I can't say for certain due to his time employed compared to the others, though it's possible he could drug or poison foods in his position as well.

While I had some initial thoughts that it could be a plan of Kinzo's to do one last, major act of spite towards his family after his death, I very much he's involved as a perpetrator though, as I couldn't see him setting up any sort of monetary reparation for the victims as laid out in the Ange sections. The guy wouldn't even give his family anything, never mind the family of those he doesn't even consider human. I'm guessing there is at least one main mastermind considering that at least one of Battler's actions from 6 years ago set things in motion, and I doubt that could lead to enough variation that multiple different people planned these events per Fragment, but I'll wait until I get re-reading some stuff to mull on that a bit longer and confirm a few things to see if they line up with what I'm thinking.

But yeah, in summary, voyager witches are messed up, and I very much can't wait until Battler and Beato manage to pull off their miracle to screw things up for them, whatever it may be.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Related to GM's post on Higurashi 1 but Gaius do not read this yourself yet, late Higurashi spoilers: wait does Episode 1 mention/hint at Reina? I don't remember that.

also just general kvetching here but I always hated the Rena/Reina/Rina naming thing, it tries to be too cute for no real reason I feel. In Japanese are they spelled with different kanji or something? I kinda thought all the Hig characters' names were just katakana but I really don't remember

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Rockman Reserve posted:

Related to GM's post on Higurashi 1 but Gaius do not read this yourself yet, late Higurashi spoilers: wait does Episode 1 mention/hint at Reina? I don't remember that.

also just general kvetching here but I always hated the Rena/Reina/Rina naming thing, it tries to be too cute for no real reason I feel. In Japanese are they spelled with different kanji or something? I kinda thought all the Hig characters' names were just katakana but I really don't remember

Yeah, there's a Tip about it. The basic version is that Reina changed her name to Rena in order to more fully cut herself off from association with her mom, and Rina is just literally another person completely.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Oh yeah I mean I knew the second part there but in romanized/translated text it just comes across as nominative cute wordplay that for some reason grates on me a lot more than all the goroawase stuff.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Rockman Reserve posted:

Oh yeah I mean I knew the second part there but in romanized/translated text it just comes across as nominative cute wordplay that for some reason grates on me a lot more than all the goroawase stuff.

I do feel that's intentional until Tsumihoroboshi or thereabouts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Higurashi EP2

Tomita has the same glasses as Tomitake, Am I looking at some sort of prequel situation here.

This whole game situation here, don't know what to make of all of it. Maebara playing monopoly, perhaps the failing economics of the town forced them to join the conspiracy. Odd too that Mion has a part time job, her uncle runs a store. I thought her family was politically connected, although I guess being head of a village isn't actually all that impressive.

kei threatens to kill Mion before she can kill him, this is called foreshadowing. I'm guessing this is her episode.
Ryukushi drops that Mion's uncle runs a ramen shop in the TIP, that would be how she knew that Kei and the Fatman were in cahoots last episode.

And Mion threatened to Turn Rika out if she didn't pay up, okay that's weird. This Episode is way more sexual in really weird ways compared to the last.

Mion's complaining about being sleepy, Kei was sleepy before he came down with Crazy sickness perhaps Mion has caughten it as well.

What the gently caress is this. We have a teacher now, and with a sprite. Where were you last episode.
Ryukushi wants to teach me sympathy, how on the nose
Mion and Kei both think of Melon shaved ice, I knew that they had similar thought patterns.
Whales aren't fish Rena, they're sea birds

Keichi you gotta wear the outfit with confidence. If you aren't confident nothing will look good on you, keep your head high and rock that poo poo all the way home.

Hell yeah time to get some Mickie D's
Smoking or Nonsmoking miss those days

Oh cool cool dad, I love when my father brings me to the restaurant where my fellow students are dressed up as sexy maids. Nothing says Father son Bonding like the realization that your dad wants to beat off to girls young enough to be your sister.

Also Kei, that's Mion don't dumb at me
Lol Gundam reference, bright slap your bitch rear end dad, keichi
I come here for the outfits, yeah buddy tell it to the judge

Hey Keichi maybe don't be a pile of human garbage for five minutes, Mion is working and the second you realize you have the smallest amount of power of her you immediatly try and humiliate her. Go report to the trash pile with Rena

And this is Shion instead. Now that I;m actually playing with voices I probably should've noticed that. It's odd that she seems so, demure, maybe. I'd have thought a sister of Mions would be the "perfect" type and that desire was what drove mion so far into trying to out compete everyone all the time. She does mention being a Younger sister to Mion too which makes some things make sense. You'd ask why Shion wouldn't be in school with the others but given how politcally connected the Sonozaki family is, and with Mion being older they keep her in town to ingratiate herself with the populace, just like how she does helping out at all the stores, hosting events, taking in new comers to town like Rena and Kei. Meanwhile you ship the one not taking the Head title to a better school in an actual city and hope she can make it as a politician or cop or some other powerful position.

Keichi she's obviously real, some people are bad with spoiler tags, and shes also on the cover.
How long has Keichi been in Hinamizawa, I can see why nobody would talk about Satoko's brother but a living sister seems like it would slip out unless there was some bad blood between the two

I'm guessing Satoko's brother then. Rika's parents wouldn't be some funeral. No that doesn't make sense he's technically lost. Then it would probably be one of the other Watanagashi victims. And Mion is actually the one living with her Grandmother in the village, I figured she'd be in the head's household and shion on the outside

I wonder if this is the work of Mr.Tomitake
I do not understand why I need to be reading about a dude trying to get uspskirts of girls working at a Maid Cafe. Unless there's a picture of Shion there that proves she was there and Mion somewhere else. I can't really understand why you'd include the TIP otherwise

Yeah no Chie, Japanese curry is imbued with the Culture of India as bout as much as The Cheesy Gordita Crunch is imbued with the culture of Mexico

Please no, please dear god don't give me one of these loving Curry cooking bullshit rural lame joke filled mother loving godamn I hated Persona 4 so much, the loving camping trip is the least funny arc in any series in any game and the "Joke" about women being bad cooks. Jesus christ save me.

Seems like Rika and Satoko are a year younger than Rena, Keichi, and Mion
It's not that hard to peel a potato little homie
Mion Knows Marksmanship, Radio Operations, and piloting a Helicopter apparently

What if anything else besides this was happening? Imagine that
Mion casually carrying raw meat all day in case she needs to make curry
Keichi, don't be dumb, go run to a convinence store and grab some pre made poo poo. Otherwise you are hosed.

If we take the Club Activities as represenative of what's happening in the wider world. Satoko setting things up for everyone to fail while Rika distracts everyone does not bode well.
Wait, Rena's last name is Ryuuga, isn't that the name of the dude from the article about the Maid Cafe. I really hope her dad isn't that kind of pervert.

Wow that whole plot was awful, never write something that bad again Ryukushi, please and thank you

If Rena has Reina and Mion has Shion I wonder if all the characters have Doubles. Satoshi could be Keichi's so that would only leave Rika and Satoko. Unless there's are just Lambda and Bern

Kiechi mentions the needle again, He never found it, and he wrote a note about not being able to do so, I wonder if it was never actually there. I think that Mion confirmed she put it in there, but that could be some nonsense. And seeing the people attack him and Rena with the Ax, I think when you the paranoia disease you start bringing in other memories and things from your subconcious into your present. So the Needle in the Rice ball would've been him subconciously thinking about the needle from the clinic. Not sure about that one though, it could've been a joke. Nobody would expect you to just swallow a needle.

I actually wonder if that wasn't Mion pretending to be Shion, delivering the Bento. If Shion lives in the city, that's a Twenty minute bike ride to Keichi's house. So she would've had to get a call from Mion, even though they don't talk supposedly. Then made the Bento, rode twenty minutes to his house that she's never been to, then back to the city to work a shift. Naw man. Mion is bad at expressing her feelings so she probably put on some different clothes and dropped off the bento for him pretending to be Shion. The tip off is she thought the Candy was for her that Keichi left for Shion.

I went and checked the Upskirt guys tip and the pen name was Ryuu so it could be Rena's dad. Ew, but it could explain why her mom left him.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I did it

I finished Umineko

(linking my last post in VN thread for my own reference:)

Gato posted:

Umineko 8

It's been ages since I last did this. I started ep 8 months ago straight after finishing 7 but bounced off the Halloween party arc. Then I powered through that only to bounce off the purple truth logic puzzle. Instead, I went back over episode 7 again, took some time to come up with an anwer I liked for most of the murders in 1-4, and probably would have ended up leaving it there but the recent Umineko posting gave me another push to see it through. I haven't finished yet, but having just had the big anime battle against the goat army and lots of pontificating about The Truth it feels like I'm fairly close to the end. Random thoughts:

- I think the Halloween party has been the game's writing at its weakest unfortunately. It's an issue you run into with ensemble casts (the Trails games come to mind for some reason) where every scene has to have every single character remind you they're there, but there's no actual character development left to do so it just drags and drags. And god knows Ryukishi won't say something once if he can say it 3 times. Isn't it sweet how Ange brings everyone together? Isn't it wholesome but also bittersweet to see the Ushiromiyas as a functioning family for once? Aren't these anime girls in leotards so wacky? :regd08: Also why is Erika everyone's friend now? I get wanting everyone on the same page for the grand finale, but she literally tried to torture and rape Battler for eternity

- The whole purple truth mystery feels a bit off when you try to put it in the broader context. After a whole series emphasising how a mystery without a human aspect is empty, and how characters are more than just pieces on a game board, we get a mystery which is just a bare-bones logic puzzle with all the human drama stripped away. (Though it was a pretty neat puzzle). At first, I thought that the dissonance was intentional - Battler's having a great time, but Bern was really only interested in using the scenario to torment Ange even more, and I kept on waiting for him to realise how hosed up it was. But instead everyone in the meta-verse just keeps chuckling about how much fun it will be to keep on coming up with new puzzles to play with! Even though this basically means making a group of sentient pieces relive the murder of their family and friends over and over again! (Jessica gets a throwaway line where she brings this up but nobody replies).

- I do like the idea of games as a means of communication between players. Sadly, Ange seems to be falling into the exact same trap Battler did, fixating on the minutiae of how to win the game rather than trying to understand what her opponent wants.

- I'm not sure the detail about Battler being Kyrie's biological son after all really adds much at the end of the day except more angst for its own sake. Still we’ve come a long way from all my convoluted theorycrafting about Battler’s parentage…

- I think part of the reason it's taken me a while to get into this episode is that after such a satisfying send-off for Beatrice/Yasu, the driving force beind the plot is now Ange's conflict, where the writing seems to be getting a bit messy. I might be overthinking it, but in episode 4 the conflict between fantasy and reality seemed to be presented in a much more even-handed way. Fantasy was a vital defense mechanism and source of comfort for Yasu/Maria/Ange but in the end it could never be sustained for ever, and literally led to murder in Yasu's case. I personally find Ange's need to know The Truth pretty drat sympathetic, but the story (through Battler and Beatrice, who are basically the authorial voice now) seems hell-bent on saying "no, it's healthier just to accept your ignorance, make something up and carry on." The reveal that Ange is basically suicidal gives some interesting context to her actions, but it also feels like a cheap way of weighting the scales against Ange's goal. "oh, so you want Ange to find The Truth? well, she's going to kill herself once she finds it. you don't want that, do you?"

- and speaking of The Truth, it's a bit of a relief to find out that the super-cynical version we saw at the end of Ep 7 might not have been what actually happened, but at the same time it's getting increasingly hard to imagine a version which does explain everything in an (emotionally) satisfying way. One final prediction: since we're suddenly playing a visual novel for the first time I'm guessing that we're going to get to make Ange's choice for her - A) read Eva's Very Convenient Super-Secret Diary of Truth and find out what happened, or B) lol catbox, guess we'll never know, but Ange is happy I guess.

If I'm right I'm going to smash that Truth button, Beatrice is going to tell me off for not believing in magic, and the catbox will remain closed forever. But god knows I've been wrong before, so here's hoping.

Episode 8 final thoughts:

- Overall I think it stuck the landing and I'm glad my pessimistic expectations were exceeded, but still a bit of a mixed bag. I still feel like there was a conscious change in direction in the approach to the magic/miracles vs reality theme, and I personally don't like the whole miracles can happen if you believe!! trope in other media. But I feel like they managed a more nuanced take on it by the end: you can create your own truth, but only after you fully understand and accept reality. That's the Golden Truth. Once Ange accepts that her family are never coming back, holding out for a miracle becomes a source of inspiration rather than an unhealthy coping mechanism. Or at least that's what I took away from the epilogue - the miracle does happen, but only after Ange's learned to live her best life. I said before that I wasn't massively excited by her story and I don't think that really changed - and Ryukishi could have used significantly fewer :words: to tell it - but I think this was a good way to wrap it up.

- As for The Truth, I guess I got what I deserved. Having Ange, but not the reader, learn The Truth was infuriating at first, but I guess that's the entire loving point isn't it? It never mattered, what mattered was the people on Rokkenjima (Beatrice most of all) and whether we understood them or not, because then any story we tell about them will be the truth. I think that gets to the heart of my issues with this episode - it's a strong message, but it would have been stronger if we'd actually spent more time with the characters instead of having the entire leotard-clad supernatural peanut gallery sound off every single time. Also, having everyone present as their Golden Land/Halloween Party incarnations means that we lose a lot of the depth and interpersonal tension that made this such a strong cast in the first place. I think the worst part was when Maria and Rosa's entire dynamic - one of the best depictions of splitting and ambivalence in a parent-child relationship I've seen in any story - got flattened into Rosa getting anime superpowers out of her perfect pure love for Maria. Same goes for Shannon/George, Kanon/Jessica, Kinzo/Everyone - what's even left once you take out the flaws?

- Another thing that felt a bit off was that final exchange between Battler and Yasu/Beatrice on the boat, which leads to their mutual suicide. Look at it without the fantasy glasses on and it makes no sense - Battler has just seen his entire extended family killed in an explosion (whatever caused it) and yet he's laughing and flirting with this childhood friend he only reconnected with 2 days ago, and is willing to die with her rather than going back to his sister, even though as far as he's aware he's Ange's only surviving relative. I guess that since Battler/Tohya doesn't actually remember what happened on the boat, it's another catbox situation - maybe that conversation never happened. And I guess you can interpret it as the meta-world bleeding into reality, superimposing meta-Battler and meta-Beatrice's epic romance onto their real-world counterparts.

- Speaking of Beatrice, I get that Ep 7 was meant to be the conclusion to her story, but I would have liked to see literally any acknowledgement at all of Yasu in this episode. Having Shannon, Kanon, Lion and Beatrice all simultaneously present in the Golden Land is obviously necessary if you want to give everyone their happy ending, but it means almost completely erasing the real person who's responsible for the entire story in the first place. Though I guess you could interpret Ange rebuilding Fukuin House as a roundabout tribute to that person.

- I'm glad everyone remembers that Erika really is a terrible person after all, and she gets something approaching comeuppance. It was also nice to see the return of the insane anime showdowns complete with pirate ships and laser swords and armies of goat demons, and I guess I've been fully jokerfied because I actually love Bern and Lambda now? They really nailed the insane fairy love/hatred dynamic, and some of the imagery in their big cosmic showdown was genuinely striking and disturbing at the same time. I'm still not convinced they needed to be preteen girls, but then again it gave us a hilarious CG of Battler punching out a child so :shrug:

So yeah, it was too long and a bit underwhelming after the brilliant Ep 7, but it feels a bit ridiculous to complain about the last course when the rest of the meal has been so good. Gonna take some time to figure out my thoughts on the series as a whole, but it's been well worth whatever I paid for it way back when.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm incredibly with you on the Too many Character problem. Some scenes would've really benefited from just not having them there, or giving them a single line. The Wedding also really suffered from having to have everyone do their own thing. If there's one thing Ryuukushi could learn, it some brevity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Satoko and Rika are three years younger than Rena, Mion, and Keichii. And Mion is the oldest of the three.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Satoko and Rika are three years younger than Rena, Mion, and Keichii. And Mion is the oldest of the three.

drat I wouldn't have guessed that much younger. I'm guessing Keichii is 15 or so then, he's at least written as younger than Battler.

Higurashi EP 2

Him saying he could get outran by any of his classmates is not a good thing to be saying in a murder mystery game.

This is some on the nose Foreshadowing.

poo poo someone swiped Keichi's Key.
Did anyone bump into him? I don't think so. He ran after Rika on the Hill so he could have dropped it.
I just ran through it all in my head thinking of who could've lifted it and why, then the game just tells me Kei left it at the Maid Cafe and just didn't realize for days? Okay then

I can't wait for Mion to, fully justified, murder Keichi for his constant put downs and comparisons to her sister.

Just kick someones Bike, Why? Why are you such an rear end in a top hat all the time Keichi

I hope these bikers beat his rear end. He deserves it
She's going to be super good at kung Fu buddy
Or not? I don't like this level of Loyalty the Hinamizawaian's have for Shion. Adding Elementary schoolers it's less like they're the village leader and more like they're Feudal lords. Actually I suppose they might technically be.

Oh Jesus what is wrong with Oishi's Remake Sprite? His voice too, it's not deep enough

And Shion's outfit is totally different in the Console and Remake sprites. Really weird choices
Why does she know which Division he's in?

Wtf man, Hand's aren't like that
And why does this man know who I am, is this all a setup?
She pinched the keys days ago, set the meeting up with her sister, then paid the Bikers to make a scene. They coulda came after him even if he wasn't an rear end in a top hat and kicked their bike. The Cops showing up was out of the plan, and that's why she's pissed at Oishii, and Oishii is glad there was no Injuries. He was watching Mion before the Watanagashi festival so It would make sense to stake out her sis as well.

The Remake sprites are closest to the OG, but Console actually looks like something a Teen would wear. Remake looks like a secretary

Good job Keichi you're catching on
Why is she doing this though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3zf9q8mbWs

Calling my shot. Shion is setting him up to be in debt to her, then going to pull a situation later where it's either Her or Her sister to be killed and tries and use this to get him to off Mion

She's not even working now if she's giving orders to the employee's

Keichi bud, I don't care about your difficulties navigating your relation to women as a Teen.
Why do you just assume Shion is Frail because she acts more feminine? C'mon bud
She did stand up to all those bikers unlike your sorry rear end

This ain't subtle my dude, your a rube if your falling for this.
Oh, she drops that Hinamizawa has almost been destroyed before. Besides the Dam incident. I wonder what her angle is. Is she trying to bump off her sister and take the Headship of the Family.
I didn't know Japan had Imminent Domain laws

Is Shion just one of those Girls who want's their sister's Man, Cause she's laying it on thick.

The TIPS about the Bikers is interesting. They claim to come from far away, but don't know the plate numbers of their bikes nor are they able to identify the brand when Oishii brings it up. Is that what Shion used to buy them off?
Or maybe they just stole them lol

Keichi you numbskull you don't invite your pseudogirlfriend with you on a date with your out of town girl.

Shion is manipulating the hell out of him, but I cannot truck with all these women who're throwing themselves at Keichi. Dude has zero redeeming qualities.

Rena what the gently caress. Mion phoned you crying, you tell Keichi, then gently caress off with the spinning to avoid divulging details. I'm guessing she's upset cause Keichi is a dickhead and she thinks Shion is trying to get her claws in him.

Oh it was on purpose, but it wasn't the Nerd making the call

Well I managed to Hack the game files and Find Keichi's Sprite, suits him perfectly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hifurashi EP 2

I did some thinking about the setting. Umineko goes into misplacing cause and effect, what if Higurashi is doing the same. Perhaps it's not the fact that people have been getting killed since the Dam incident. Maybe, we're looking at a Wicker Man scenario, and people have been getting sacraficed since ancient times. But the fact that journalist's moved in with the dam project is what actually brought attention to it. Rika would cover it up being the spiritual guide of the Town. Mion would being the progeny of the Head Family, Rena because she doesn't want to be targeted, and Satoko...For some reason.

LMAO at Keichi getting laid out by some nerd.
You are such a bitch Keichi, you lose your loving fight then call your posse to jump the dude. Absolute loving piece of poo poo. You disgust me, I;m not kidding. This is gross. Fight your own battles you filth.

I'm glad you understand what you are.

I feel bad for Mion. From her POV, Keichi is in a relationship with her sister now, lied about it, lied about going to the dessert thing, and then called up all his friends to join him with her at the Cafe. Just unrestrained psychological warfare against her totally unintentionally.

Satoko comes out swinging wanting to defend Mion's Little Sister, She must have some real anguish about losing her brother.

I hate nerds so much

If we break down this Cafe scene and all the Club members roles we get some interesting things. Rena "Marks" the victims but is otherwise non participatory. Satoko poisons them, and Rika feigns innocence while she guides them out of their "Paradise". Also worth noting that the Cafe Ticket says if you leave you leave. With how Hinamizawa's citizens seem to band against the Outside, perhaps anyone who leaves is also marked as an outsider. Not able to "Return" in the truest sense. Rena did though, but she also seems to believe she's cursed or being guided maybe by Oyashiro sama. IS she participating in these killings as a way to "Return" to the village?

Also worth noting all of that was set up by someone, whose A. Pretending to be someone she's not B. Acting like she didn't plan all this C. Seems to be setting all this up either to hurt her sister, or get Keichi for some unspecified reason.
Keichi's Role in all of this is the most confusing to me. Battler had a ton of history with all the Rokkenjimaites. Keichi seemingly has no history with anyone in town. I assume this is the factor that makes him so important to the story, as most of Higurashi seems to be the inverse of Umineko, or rather the inverse of that statment. If we take the game club as being the Town in Microcosm then Keichi himself would be like the Dam, something New from the Outside that could cleanse the town of it's history? I'm unconfident of the last part, how would Keichi do that, other than killing everyone. But the Dam was used to organize the power structure of the Village seemingly, Does Shion see Keichi as her version of the Dam, something she can leverage to take control of the club if not Mion's whole life. I'm really thinking I'm gonna see a Clone Shoot scene here this chapter.

And then Rika get's lost leaving the Cafe, we've got 2 possibilities. She actually got lost and this is somehow symbolic. Or she's planning some poo poo in the Town. It seems Shion was absent for a second there, did they meet at the employee entrance, and then for what purpose.
Okay so she guided them all the way to the Police, It's a toss off but she could be working with Fatman. Now Rika's leaving early, she's up to something this Chapter

Gotta watch Satoko, she's slippery. She made a todo about Rika leaving, then slipped off with her without anyone making a comment. 1. we still no nothing about her, but the way she's talking it's almost like her and Rika are living together. 2. I forgot what my second point was going to be

Shion leaves as soon as Rena starts talking to her. It seems to me that she knows that Keichi thinks that She's Mion, and doesn't want Rena to break that illusion.

It's okay Keichi you disgust me too

Another flat out misdirection once she said something a little too real
And the second I see the Toy Store I realize what she's about to pull. Everyone else in the Games club is playing checkers and Shion out here playing 6D chess

Or wait, are we actually looking at a Sister Swap, cause if so I've got some puzzling to do. We definely wern't interacting with just Mion. It would've been crazy Mion probably didn't set up those bikers for sure.

Oh you want to come into the toy store? Why? Why? What's in the store, WHO IS IN THE STORE? I see through you Shion
I fuckin' knew it. Never doubted myself for a second. Shion sees through Mion, Keichi, and Rena. loving playing 6D Shogi at this point. Oh man Keichi you hosed up bud, you hosed up BAD.
This wacky rear end music while Shion totally tramples on Mions heart, destroys her dreams, and steals everything she ever wanted.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Higurashi EP 2 Spoilers

So I had a thoughts

One what if the evil town thing is a misdirection, and two what if Photographysan is more than he seems.
One of the Bonds has Bond introduce himself as a birdwatcher, but obviously he's a spy, what if Tomitake is a Spy, but not for the Baddies but either working for someone in the Federal government or for Ooishi. Him getting killed last Ep brought the heat from Oishii because he had another murder And a lost asset. He could be with the Nurse to get some inside info on the clinic, then she fakes the Ritual killing/Disappearance on him to cover her own tracks.
We'll have to see how things play out now that Shion, someone whose more willing to divy up details is on the scene.

Protip if you don't want to be suspect don't say poo poo like this.

Satoshi was the Nephew of the person who died last year, if we take the "Sacrifices" as the people who wanted the dead gone, then what exactly was his angle, and why did he think he was going to be targeted like our MC did right before he died.

Strange to think we're two regnal periods past this game.

MC gets the feeling that Shion doesn't like Hinamizawa which seems true to me. Her casual but continual cruelty and seeming exile from the town make it seem like something happened, and I'd bet it's Mion taking her place as family head, that caused her to want to tear the village apart.

Good, gently caress "Detectives"

Takano seeing herself as an observer is not gucci at all.

Tomitake says everything Takano says is Fiction, I'm tucking that away for the META theory
Takano starts talking about Keichi being a good listener and her like telling stories, I'm sticking that in the pocket too.
"Plenty of interesting Fairy tales and Legends about Hinamizawa..." C;mon son, don't let the cat out the bag before I do Takano san.

Keichi you dick, Mion loves you, stop being a dork and treat her well.
The TIPS for this seesion are weird, the third notebook scrap it seems like a journalist was trying to break into the festival, to find something used to kill people in the swamp.

Wait is Oishi actually not the Chief, they said the section head was coming in. He doesn't seem like a plainclothes

Okay Nani the gently caress is this? I'm straight tripped up. The text seems like the same as we saw from the intro with Bernkastel. If she is whom it seems she is, then it seems she's aware poo poo is about to go down because the whole fake switcheroo that Shion pulled on Mion. Why now bring it up though?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I know that it’s mostly a red herring but also at least theoretically solvable, I just went through the first discussion of the Witches Epitaph again in Umineko and was wondering if the second part - the bit about the sacrifices - is some kind of reference to a keypad or if I’m considering it wrong. I don’t really remember what we learn about it after it’s solved in 3(?) and 5, it’s very possible it was actually directly mentioned and I just forgot.

Other things I don’t recall - it was actually confirmed somewhere in 4-6 that there is actually another mansion on the island, right? What was its name? Any chance I could see the name in Japanese as well?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Also, jeez, it's interesting looking back at Umineko 1 (spoilers for up to 6) and realizing how often the narrative explicitly lies to you right from the start. Suuuuuure, Kinzo is screaming into the typhoon, right. Where the gently caress is my red text at.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

Other things I don’t recall - it was actually confirmed somewhere in 4-6 that there is actually another mansion on the island, right? What was its name? Any chance I could see the name in Japanese as well?

IIRC it's in Ep3,
and
the mansion is called Kuwadorian.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

Also, jeez, it's interesting looking back at Umineko 1 (spoilers for up to 6) and realizing how often the narrative explicitly lies to you right from the start. Suuuuuure, Kinzo is screaming into the typhoon, right. Where the gently caress is my red text at.
Hey nobody ever said when that scene was supposed to be happening.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

九羽鳥庵 is the Kanji. Early Umineko is brutal when you know.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is that a no on my keypad theory then?

Also I'd forgotten what a monster (lots of spoilers and conjecture, Umineko) Rosa was, even in Ep 1. IIRC 5 or 6 made it clear that Maria's obsession with magic is just escapism from her absentee, abusive mom - I think Beatrice is maybe just Shannon playacting to cheer her up. The first mysteries in Ep1 are basically who gave Maria the umbrella and note - Kuwabara is the only one who says she's with Shannon when they were preparing the rooms, but Kuwabara has already been shown to cover for the younger servants (and I'm pretty sure she knows about Shannon and George) and Shannon herself is shown to kinda skirt her duties whenever she can get away with it. Plus, Battler wasn't there with the other servants when they discussed who it could have been, and I'm taking every scene without his direct involvement with a huuuuuge grain of salt.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

god I need to run memtest or something, I have no idea what's going on but when I've got Umineko on auto mode it has a really nasty habit of hanging and freezing during scene transitions with a bunch of sound effects, like when the storm starts or people are gazing at the portrait and stuff.

e: it seems to be pretty much whenever the scene freezes and the broken glass overlay shows up, idkwtf, it's happening on a second computer now

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 30, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Running the Patch? I had some trouble with it before mistiming sound effects but nothing like that, never run the game in auto before though.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I have been having the exact same freezing issue running the Umineko mod in my current (re)playthrough.

It's fixed by tapping shift or control a couple times during the freeze, whichever fast forwards through text. Or maybe 'a' to toggle auto-advance. Usually takes a couple presses when it happens. Annoying but it shouldn't be completely locked.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is on my unmodded Steam copy (I also have it on GOG and modded it there but I usually use Steam for the cloud saves/Steam Deck).

Colorspray posted:

I have been having the exact same freezing issue running the Umineko mod in my current (re)playthrough.

It's fixed by tapping shift or control a couple times during the freeze, whichever fast forwards through text. Or maybe 'a' to toggle auto-advance. Usually takes a couple presses when it happens. Annoying but it shouldn't be completely locked.

Huh, I'll have to try that next time, thanks!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm doing a fair amount of reading about the battle of Sekigahara lately (pretty much spurred on by finally getting the GMT Sekigahara board game to the table for a play, and it being fantastic) and it's really tripping me up that e.g. there's a character named Hideyoshi and they keep talking about Odawara and stuff.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is that a no on my keypad theory then?

asking this one more time because I have increasingly convinced myself that A) this is actually the case and B) Battler actually straight-up mentions it and I forgot?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

asking this one more time because I have increasingly convinced myself that A) this is actually the case and B) Battler actually straight-up mentions it and I forgot?

The game just outright goes through the whole puzzle and solution eventually so just keep reading.

It's also nearly impossible to solve by yourself (nearly imposible because someone did manage to do it in a forum when Umineko was being published but it was dismissed as being ridiculous by any right thinking person).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I maintain it was more of a community ARG than anything an individual reader was likely to solve.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

fez_machine posted:

The game just outright goes through the whole puzzle and solution eventually so just keep reading.

It's also nearly impossible to solve by yourself (nearly imposible because someone did manage to do it in a forum when Umineko was being published but it was dismissed as being ridiculous by any right thinking person).

I know, I know, but as long as I'm re-reading up to 7 anyway and the characters keep discussing it I'm going to poke at it like an old scab anyway. I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track interpreting that part at all.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

I know, I know, but as long as I'm re-reading up to 7 anyway and the characters keep discussing it I'm going to poke at it like an old scab anyway. I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track interpreting that part at all.

No, there's no keypad that relates to the sacrifice numbers in the epitaph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

drat, thanks though.

Ep 1 reread thoughts up to the morning ("the six chosen by the key") but including speculation/knowledge from up through 6:

1) The "sickly sweet smell" from Kinzo's room makes me gag every time they bring it up now that I know he's dead. Did they ever mention what they did with his body? If it's just like, mummified and rotting slowly in there....:barf:

2) The umbrella and letter pretty much had to be given to Maria by Shannon. Her alibis are always super flimsy and she does stuff like wander back to the mansion after being assigned to the guest house after a private conversation between her and George, who probably wouldn't bring it up even if it happened at all. She's been with the Ushiromiya family the longest other than Genji and Kumasawa (who is only a part-timer who has quit several times in the past), so Shannon has had the longest to plan this.

3) The scratches outside Natsuhi's door - The scorpion charm is meant to have "protected" Natsuhi, but the only one who knew she had it was Jessica, who gave it to her. But Shannon was there when Maria gave it to Jessica and explained its significance. If Shannon was the murderer then Natsuhi'd almost certainly be on her poo poo-list, because Natsuhi is a huuuuuge jerk. A moderately sympathetic jerk, but still a freaking jerk to the servants, especially Shannon. She could have had access to a master key (or a copy of one), used it to unlock the door, and then backed off from her attack when she saw the charm on the inside of the knob and made the bloody scratches to increase the suspicion of the witch. The only real issue I have with this theory so far is that Natsuhi is an incredibly light sleeper, so opening her door would be risky. Still, as a servant, Shannon could have dosed her after-dinner coffee with some kind of sleeping agent - and if she didn't wake up to the scratches around the knob she probably wouldn't have woken up to someone quietly unlocking and opening her door.

4) Natsuhi's imagined conversation with Kinzo about the one-winged eagle on her heart is just loving sad, oof. Poor woman. (Still, don't be such a gaping rear end in a top hat to your servants!)

5) The fact that Krauss had the gold bar (supposedly - I mean obviously we can't take anything in this episode at face value, particularly conversations Battler wasn't privy to) and still has been unable to solve the epitaph is really interesting. Presumably, he had to at least be trying.

6) Why did Rudolf think he was going to die that night? What tipped him off? Were he and Kyrie only chosen for the initial six because he knew something was up? Everyone else chosen seems to have been a huge jerk to Shannon in particular, with the exception of Rosa who is just a loving monster to Maria (who Shannon obviously seems to really pity....either that, or as an impressionable child she's too useful to ignore. See #8 ). Was Kyrie chosen just because Natsuhi was charmed, or because she's clearly the shrewdest person at the conference? Hell, I've gotta keep reading, I don't even remember if the initial 6 are actually confirmed dead right away.

7) All of the servants seem to be very aware of 'Kinzo's' wager and the appearance of Beatrice, at least the ones wearing the eagle that call themselves 'furniture' all the time. That can't be a coincidence.

8) Maria is shown to have some issues reading and stuff when she's down at the beach with Shannon and the cousins, but is able to read the letter from "Beatrice" without any issue. Could she have been coached or something? She's so impressionable that she might have been coached on how to read the letter and told she's the witch's messenger with the assurance that Beatrice would be able to bring everyone back to life like the epitaph says.

9) My biggest issue with my running theories so far is that when Shannon's body is found, half her face is destroyed. The characters get all hung up on what could have been used to do that, but it was in a garden house or shed or something iirc (I haven't gotten back to that point yet, but I remember it pretty vividly as the point where Stuff Starts Getting Real). But I don't think that's the issue at all, I think the real problem is that Shannon is the clearest suspect, and "her" corpse being found is meant to throw everyone off her trail. But so much of this VN seems to be a riff on the Tokyo Zodiac Murders, and while I still haven't gotten around to finishing that either (sigh...), I thought it was pretty obvious (spoiling this in a separate block to not ruin that book for anyone who hasn't read it and wants to) that the murderer was the woman supposedly used as a sacrifice for Azoth's head....it's pretty hard to identify a body, especially in those days, without a head attached to it. So how do we have a corpse that is identifiable as Shannon with at least half of her face still left show up?

10) I still don't really know how to resolve the "There are only 16 people on the island!" reveal, or the "Battler isn't Battler!"/"Battler is Battler!" stuff.

11) Things obviously get weird as gently caress from episode 2 onwards with all the meta-narrative going on, but the future stuff with Angie/ANGE and the message bottles still throws me off really hard. So, iirc, the initial message bottle claims to come from Maria but obviously can't because she's a nine-year-old and doesn't have strong reading or writing skills, and the other episodes are 'written' by Featherine, who adds even more mystical red-herrings. But if Angie is learning this stuff in the future where Eva survived and found the gold, does that mean that the events are already set in stone and there really is no happy ending for the Ushiromiya family? I'm probably overthinking this a bit (can you blame me, though? Umineko is like, "overthinking things: the novelization") and it's not like Higurashi (Higurashi meta-spoilers) ever really explains Bernkastel and the time loops/"shards".

....okay, it looks like I spoilered everything correctly in the preview, phew. Anyway, sorry for the giant wall of theoryposting, but that's what the thread is for. :shrug: Feel free to comment on stuff that I'm misremembering, I read the first six episodes over like a year or so, a couple years back at this point.