Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

LordMune posted:

Umineko is poorly written and incompetently localized, and one of the most important works of fiction of the modern age.

Meanwhile, at witch hunt...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Umineko is actually the greatest thing ever written, I'm actually surprised I got to see the peak of human storytelling in my lifetime

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Erika Furudo is one of the best characters ever written

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Of course I was lying, the best written character ever is yasu

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh yeah my bad, recently I've just been getting really high and talking about that character for hours.

sorry I didn't think about properly formatting that post there

e: also the entire Umineko series is 40% off right now. Perfect time and opportunity to Happy Halloween for Maria yourself, or even one of your friends!

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 17, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

it is indeed the golden witch beatoriche

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

<yesssssssssssss I aaaaaaaaammmmmmmm>

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

episode 5 is the best episode by far

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Cyouni posted:

but episode 7

i think it's hindered by the format, it's probably much better in the manga (which I have only read a little of)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

here's what I realized after finishing all 8 games:

beato is the best character ever

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It took you eight?!

It's hard for me to judge Beato objectively because, and I'm just gonna entire Umineko series (EP1 thru 8) spoilertag this following bit:

I feel a lot in common with her because I, too, suffer from myriad gender problems and intense self hatred since birth. It's hard to know where the personal bias comes in when I start trying to decide how I feel about a character like (all of) her

Hard to know where it comes in, but I do know it comes in...somewhere.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

....is Beato a terrible idea for a Halloween costume? My whole schtick is characters from obscure books or movies, so I'm not really worried about being 'recognizable', haha.

No do it

I want to see your golden witch

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Real "happy halloween for maria" time atm

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Umineko has such a powerful "replaying from the beginning after finishing and noticing all the clues you missed" experience , but honestly due to the length you're probably not gonna want to reread it for some time lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's probably not worth the spoiler risk, but it _is_ an awesome fighting game!!! Buy it

e: the entire Umineko series is 40% off right now BTW, so it's the perfect time and opportunity to Happy Halloween for Maria yourself or even one of your friends.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 17, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

that's an ahaha.wav if I've ever seen it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah when you examine Umineko back and try to just boil it down as simply as you can,

(-)WHOLE UMINEKO SERIES spoilers ahead DO NOT CLICK(-)

It's actually pretty cute. Sayo sends a love letter to Battler. Battler is a little late, but he sends one back. the end!

(-)WHOLE UMINEKO SERIES spoilers ahead DO NOT CLICK(-)

Summarizing the whole game in one box.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Full umineko spoilers

Reminder, George destroyed the letters before battler saw them

Also lmao at Rockman he's gonna be so mad when he realizes

Did he, though? The manga doesn't really lend evidence for that theory I think?

You can see George pull out all the letters and give Sayo the empty envelope and there's no real opportunity for him to do any sort of trickery from what we saw

He also freely admits, much later, that he was jealous of Battler and Sayo's relationship when they were younger and seems to, at least, regret being a weird incel then so I don't think George would actually do something like that or had he, he'd probably admit that to her too

I mean, I still don't like him, but that's the vibe I got

I think Battler is just incompetent.

Uminekos alternative message: don't fall in love with a himbo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Cyouni posted:

It's presented ambiguously, and it's up to you to decide which interpretation is correct. Just like a lot of the rest of 7. (Also because Yasu has absolutely no idea of the truth there.)

I JUST WANT HER TO BE HAPPY

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I am under oath to not post too much of my thoughts, courtesy of the Golden Witch

I'm sorry.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

I hate you all, you're the best.

*e: for those wondering I just (probably DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU ARE READING UMINEKO AND AVOIDING MY RAMBLING SPOILERS) checked the Steam tags.

I was confused, so I checked it. Didn't see anything too out of the ordinary, and then checked closer.

That's funny

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

wait Higurashi Rei came out???

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Happy Halloween!

I just stole the pic from some other guy 'cause hell if I'm gonna watch the Seacats Animation ever again

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Episode 1 owns!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

here's what I have to say: drat we should have a WTC gang tag or something

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I was wondering why this thread was being so quiet but I guess I accidentally unfavorited it

Oope

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

but who knocked on the door???

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

read episode 7!!!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

😬 Finefinefine, I probably will, just answer these couple of questions for me if you’d be so kind:

Are the murders(/the incident - we’ve got a lot of red text about a lot of the deaths being murders but idk, the game board itself is so nebulous and weird and all we know is everyone died. I’m kind of thinking Battler did something that led to a disaster and all the games are, ugh, idk, let’s just call them murders for now just nvm) actually reasonably solvable?

Yes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Well that kind of sucks. I had hoped that was just Bern bullshitting. I don't like evil Kyrie and Rudolf

ridicule.ogg (dont google that if you haven't played episode 7)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure I remember it being that clear cut at all but I also only really internalized the Yasu's backstory chapters that the manga added in terms of things to go to in it for extra answers. Also there are some things like the postgame short story Our Confession that sort of assume it's still ambiguous. It's just that it's very plausible especially if you have very uncharitable reads on the cast which is what the population et large would assume.

I mean Ryukishi did say the manga is "an official answer from him" :shrug:

I'm not surprised he did it either, there is def a chunk of people who would just not fully understand the game's mysteries (or, the game) unless they had it explained to them frame by frame like that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It looked nice tho

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

(So Math don't read this, since it's full "whydunnit" spoilers)

"Battler's sin" is honestly a pretty minor part of the whydunnit, even if it's what receives a lot of focus in Episode 7. Episode 2 probably contains the most information about the motive, since it's the one that contains a lot of internal dialogue about the "furniture" stuff (all of the scenes with Shannon or Kanon talking/arguing with Beatrice basically directly represent Yasu internal dialogue). The main issues are a combination of the Natsuhi drop injury + being raised as a girl without awareness of it (which is where most of the self-hatred "furniture" stuff comes from) and "learning that she's a child of incest between Kinzo and Kinzo's daughter" (which also contributes to said self-hatred + hatred of the Ushiromiya family in general - though that hatred is obviously balanced with also loving them, which is why the episodes are written the way they are). Plus not really having much of a family, outside of Kumasawa and Genji. The fact that she learned this stuff after already being in a relationship with George (which heightens the stress, since she's constantly facing down the likely-disaster of George finding out about her body) also contributes to what she decides to do during the family conference. That's where the Battler issue comes in (and why Battler is "responsible" for the epitaph murders). The murders are ultimately done (or planned, since she never actually carries them out in reality) in an attempt to get Battler to figure out things for himself, because she simultaneously wants to be understood (which she - probably correctly - thinks Battler is her best chance for) while also being too scared to bring it up herself.

In a world where Battler doesn't return to the conference, she probably either commits suicide or just sets off the bomb without the epitaph murders. So it's not so much that "Battler's sin" is the main cause, but more that it's just the specific reason that her despair took the form of the epitaph murders.

*STILL BIG FULL UMINEKO SPOILERS HERE DONT CLICK*

Something I didn't quite realize until the manga gave the full answers to the story was

Sayo really loves Battler. Like, a lot. Way more than George or Jessica, and as soon as she finds out he's coming back for 1986 she has already fully given up on G and J and has switched her perogative to "Battler please solve the mystery I created for you, and become the head, and I will devote my life to you!!!" It was a little hard for me to parse it originally because, obviously, she is deeply in denial to herself that she doesn't care about Battler at all anymore, and that she can actually move on with George even though she doesn't actually want to

And now it's safe past this point for the readers

I like seacats!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

No please, theory dump to your heart's content I would like to read them over a spot of tea.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

tear tear tear to shreds

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i'm confused

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nah Battler's an alright guy

Look at how cool he is right here

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

and once more

everything about this is so hosed up but i'm still tearing up hard

e: okay kinzo immediately ruined it, 'Even your face reminds me of that mother and daughter...' :barf:

It's so much worse in the manga wherein it by nature of the medium shows her entire lovely life; completely exposing her heart in the process . If you ever do read it, I definitely recommend to be in a good headspace and bring tissues

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Absolutely 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The true protagonist of umineko is very depressed