Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I did it

I finished Umineko

(linking my last post in VN thread for my own reference:)

Gato posted:

Umineko 8

It's been ages since I last did this. I started ep 8 months ago straight after finishing 7 but bounced off the Halloween party arc. Then I powered through that only to bounce off the purple truth logic puzzle. Instead, I went back over episode 7 again, took some time to come up with an anwer I liked for most of the murders in 1-4, and probably would have ended up leaving it there but the recent Umineko posting gave me another push to see it through. I haven't finished yet, but having just had the big anime battle against the goat army and lots of pontificating about The Truth it feels like I'm fairly close to the end. Random thoughts:

- I think the Halloween party has been the game's writing at its weakest unfortunately. It's an issue you run into with ensemble casts (the Trails games come to mind for some reason) where every scene has to have every single character remind you they're there, but there's no actual character development left to do so it just drags and drags. And god knows Ryukishi won't say something once if he can say it 3 times. Isn't it sweet how Ange brings everyone together? Isn't it wholesome but also bittersweet to see the Ushiromiyas as a functioning family for once? Aren't these anime girls in leotards so wacky? :regd08: Also why is Erika everyone's friend now? I get wanting everyone on the same page for the grand finale, but she literally tried to torture and rape Battler for eternity

- The whole purple truth mystery feels a bit off when you try to put it in the broader context. After a whole series emphasising how a mystery without a human aspect is empty, and how characters are more than just pieces on a game board, we get a mystery which is just a bare-bones logic puzzle with all the human drama stripped away. (Though it was a pretty neat puzzle). At first, I thought that the dissonance was intentional - Battler's having a great time, but Bern was really only interested in using the scenario to torment Ange even more, and I kept on waiting for him to realise how hosed up it was. But instead everyone in the meta-verse just keeps chuckling about how much fun it will be to keep on coming up with new puzzles to play with! Even though this basically means making a group of sentient pieces relive the murder of their family and friends over and over again! (Jessica gets a throwaway line where she brings this up but nobody replies).

- I do like the idea of games as a means of communication between players. Sadly, Ange seems to be falling into the exact same trap Battler did, fixating on the minutiae of how to win the game rather than trying to understand what her opponent wants.

- I'm not sure the detail about Battler being Kyrie's biological son after all really adds much at the end of the day except more angst for its own sake. Still we’ve come a long way from all my convoluted theorycrafting about Battler’s parentage…

- I think part of the reason it's taken me a while to get into this episode is that after such a satisfying send-off for Beatrice/Yasu, the driving force beind the plot is now Ange's conflict, where the writing seems to be getting a bit messy. I might be overthinking it, but in episode 4 the conflict between fantasy and reality seemed to be presented in a much more even-handed way. Fantasy was a vital defense mechanism and source of comfort for Yasu/Maria/Ange but in the end it could never be sustained for ever, and literally led to murder in Yasu's case. I personally find Ange's need to know The Truth pretty drat sympathetic, but the story (through Battler and Beatrice, who are basically the authorial voice now) seems hell-bent on saying "no, it's healthier just to accept your ignorance, make something up and carry on." The reveal that Ange is basically suicidal gives some interesting context to her actions, but it also feels like a cheap way of weighting the scales against Ange's goal. "oh, so you want Ange to find The Truth? well, she's going to kill herself once she finds it. you don't want that, do you?"

- and speaking of The Truth, it's a bit of a relief to find out that the super-cynical version we saw at the end of Ep 7 might not have been what actually happened, but at the same time it's getting increasingly hard to imagine a version which does explain everything in an (emotionally) satisfying way. One final prediction: since we're suddenly playing a visual novel for the first time I'm guessing that we're going to get to make Ange's choice for her - A) read Eva's Very Convenient Super-Secret Diary of Truth and find out what happened, or B) lol catbox, guess we'll never know, but Ange is happy I guess.

If I'm right I'm going to smash that Truth button, Beatrice is going to tell me off for not believing in magic, and the catbox will remain closed forever. But god knows I've been wrong before, so here's hoping.

Episode 8 final thoughts:

- Overall I think it stuck the landing and I'm glad my pessimistic expectations were exceeded, but still a bit of a mixed bag. I still feel like there was a conscious change in direction in the approach to the magic/miracles vs reality theme, and I personally don't like the whole miracles can happen if you believe!! trope in other media. But I feel like they managed a more nuanced take on it by the end: you can create your own truth, but only after you fully understand and accept reality. That's the Golden Truth. Once Ange accepts that her family are never coming back, holding out for a miracle becomes a source of inspiration rather than an unhealthy coping mechanism. Or at least that's what I took away from the epilogue - the miracle does happen, but only after Ange's learned to live her best life. I said before that I wasn't massively excited by her story and I don't think that really changed - and Ryukishi could have used significantly fewer :words: to tell it - but I think this was a good way to wrap it up.

- As for The Truth, I guess I got what I deserved. Having Ange, but not the reader, learn The Truth was infuriating at first, but I guess that's the entire loving point isn't it? It never mattered, what mattered was the people on Rokkenjima (Beatrice most of all) and whether we understood them or not, because then any story we tell about them will be the truth. I think that gets to the heart of my issues with this episode - it's a strong message, but it would have been stronger if we'd actually spent more time with the characters instead of having the entire leotard-clad supernatural peanut gallery sound off every single time. Also, having everyone present as their Golden Land/Halloween Party incarnations means that we lose a lot of the depth and interpersonal tension that made this such a strong cast in the first place. I think the worst part was when Maria and Rosa's entire dynamic - one of the best depictions of splitting and ambivalence in a parent-child relationship I've seen in any story - got flattened into Rosa getting anime superpowers out of her perfect pure love for Maria. Same goes for Shannon/George, Kanon/Jessica, Kinzo/Everyone - what's even left once you take out the flaws?

- Another thing that felt a bit off was that final exchange between Battler and Yasu/Beatrice on the boat, which leads to their mutual suicide. Look at it without the fantasy glasses on and it makes no sense - Battler has just seen his entire extended family killed in an explosion (whatever caused it) and yet he's laughing and flirting with this childhood friend he only reconnected with 2 days ago, and is willing to die with her rather than going back to his sister, even though as far as he's aware he's Ange's only surviving relative. I guess that since Battler/Tohya doesn't actually remember what happened on the boat, it's another catbox situation - maybe that conversation never happened. And I guess you can interpret it as the meta-world bleeding into reality, superimposing meta-Battler and meta-Beatrice's epic romance onto their real-world counterparts.

- Speaking of Beatrice, I get that Ep 7 was meant to be the conclusion to her story, but I would have liked to see literally any acknowledgement at all of Yasu in this episode. Having Shannon, Kanon, Lion and Beatrice all simultaneously present in the Golden Land is obviously necessary if you want to give everyone their happy ending, but it means almost completely erasing the real person who's responsible for the entire story in the first place. Though I guess you could interpret Ange rebuilding Fukuin House as a roundabout tribute to that person.

- I'm glad everyone remembers that Erika really is a terrible person after all, and she gets something approaching comeuppance. It was also nice to see the return of the insane anime showdowns complete with pirate ships and laser swords and armies of goat demons, and I guess I've been fully jokerfied because I actually love Bern and Lambda now? They really nailed the insane fairy love/hatred dynamic, and some of the imagery in their big cosmic showdown was genuinely striking and disturbing at the same time. I'm still not convinced they needed to be preteen girls, but then again it gave us a hilarious CG of Battler punching out a child so :shrug:

So yeah, it was too long and a bit underwhelming after the brilliant Ep 7, but it feels a bit ridiculous to complain about the last course when the rest of the meal has been so good. Gonna take some time to figure out my thoughts on the series as a whole, but it's been well worth whatever I paid for it way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU