Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

umineko Episode 7 sucks and I loving hate Bernkastel

kyrie murdering people was kinda badass tho

battler please come back from the milk store

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

started episode 8 babby ange is adorable

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

big big umineko Episode 8 spoilers with an important question I need clarified:

OK, so in this game Ryukishi basically says "come at me bro" and therefore my sister and I decided we wanted to solve it, or at least lock in our theory, before even looking at the hints section.

Based on these rules:
- Characters who are not culprits only speak the truth
- It is possible for a culprit to lie
- Purple statements are as absolute as red truths. However, the culprit alone may lie with purple statements.

We can infer that any time two or more characters say contradictory purple statements, one side must be a culprit (and if someone self-contradicts they are definitely a culprit but I haven't noticed a case of that yet). This is a great tool, but I've found one confusing place where I'm not sure what to make of it.

Fourth twilight: Shannon is found dead in the garden after all the survivors of 1 & 2 seal the mansion and move to the guesthouse. Purple text is bolded.

Gohda: "When the two of them left, we were busy checking the locks around the guesthouse. So, not one of us has an alibi...!"
George: "Me, kill her?! How could I have killed her?!!"
Maria: "That's right. George onii-chan couldn't kill her, uu."
Jessica: "Later on, we learned that George nii-san alone had an alibi. At least regarding Shannon's death, it was impossible for George nii-san to be the murderer."
Battler: "To turn it around, ......anyone could have killed her besides George-aniki."

In this case, am I to interpret Gohda's statement as contradicting Jessica and Battler's statements? Or even contradicting Maria's statement in white? I think I can resolve it without contradiction with this logic:
1. Even though "characters who are not culprits only speak the truth", it's possible for statements in white to be honest mistakes. That makes some sense, because if white statements had to be perfect they would not be any different from purple.
2. The definition of "alibi" is used strictly to mean "something that can definitely establish the suspect's location or physical capability in a way that exonerates them", and therefore excludes things like "they were his fiance".
3. When Battler and Jessica say "it was impossible" in purple, they are referring to George's mental state. In English, they mean that he would not kill Shannon, not that he could not.
4. When Jessica says "George alone had an alibi" in white, that is an honest mistake.
5. Therefore, Gohda's purple statement does not contradict the things everyone else says.

Am I going crazy?

I don't want there to be a contradiction here, it would mess up the best theory we have so far. Our theory is that the culprits are Battler, Rudolf, and Kyrie. Kyrie does the 1st twilight and pretends to be dead, Battler "confirms" her death, then she sneaks away and murders Krauss and Natsuhi (and maybe Battler gets his kill there as well, since Kyrie only needs 6 kills). Then Kyrie stays in that room forever, Battler goes to the guesthouse, and Rudolf roams in and around the guesthouse killing people. I can't remember offhand but I believe it's possible to construct a sequence of board states where Rudolf can be let in or out of the guesthouse by Battler when necessary.

But if this conversation about Shannon really has a contradiction, it blows up this theory. We have to bring either Jessica or Gohda in as a culprit, and there's a chain of death confirmations that goes [All servants] -> Nanjo -> Jessica -> George & Maria, and at that point you have so many culprits and so few victims that not everyone can get their own kill. Well, assuming that "a culprit must carry out all murders directly, by their own hands" means no shared kills are allowed. As long as each culprit needs at least one unique kill and the 1st twilight culprit needs six then we're pretty sure that 5 is the maximum number of culprits

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Umineko ENDING spoilers do not read

Overall it was fine I guess. I like that Ange got to meet Tohya. Kinda sad that he's not really Battler anymore but he was able to let go of Battler's "soul" and let it drift off to the Golden Land so that's nice?

My sister is pretty unhappy that the theme of not believing in witches/magic was kind of lost and even inverted but I don't really mind too much.

Some lingering questions:

1. What actually happened on the island? I think there's no 100% exact definite answer because that's the whole point of the Single Truth being not worth learning. My guess is it was something like a freak accident with the explosives and nobody was actually at fault. That's why Ange was so sad about reading it, an accident reduces everyone's death to meaningless bad luck.

2. The mechanics of the Beatrice/Shannon/Kanon trinity. Is Yasu just constantly spiderman-changing in and out of their Shannon and Kanon costumes? Does the family know? What do George and Jessica think? There's even scenes where both are in the same room with other people including Battler so wtf???

I'm planning to read the umineko manga at some point since I heard some things are explained a little more straightforwardly there.

For Higurashi - y'all suggest the VN first or the anime?

E: I joked to my sister that umineko is neither fantasy nor mystery but a western. But thinking about it more it feels kinda true? The story is not really about the events in it, it's about the characters and their struggles. Like once upon a time in the west or something

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 1, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

LordMune posted:

This is where everything we see being fiction is critical. IIRC early on it's pointed out that Shannon and Kanon being scheduled for Island Work at the same time is unusual. Maintaining both personas at the same time is theoretically possible and thus permissible in a story, but would not have worked out—nor probably even been attempted—IRL. Only the narration (i.e. Beatrice) and compromised characters ever acknowledge Shannon and Kanon being in the same room at the same time.

I suppose that makes sense. But do George and Jessica actually know? And they're cool with it?

One of the theories we had was that at one point they actually were two separate people, but one died and the other took on their persona out of grief or something. But it sounds like the right answer is that they are definitely the same person.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cyouni posted:

According to the manga, exactly what was presented in 7 as the truth. You'll notice that during the events of 7, what happens to Battler is never detailed, and Beatrice's body goes mysteriously missing before Eva wakes up. This links back to the ending of 8, in the Magic ending, where Shannon guides Battler to the hidden cave.

Well that kind of sucks. I had hoped that was just Bern bullshitting. I don't like evil Kyrie and Rudolf

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think I have a love-hate relationship with Umineko

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

without love, it cannot be seen

and even with love you might need special glasses

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So Math posted:

Made it to the episode 5 credits. Spoilers for episode 8 as usual.

Did you mean for episode 5? Or are you re-reading or something? Unclear if I can post at you with full story spoilers or not

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spoilers for all the episodes:

The hints for the whydunit feel pretty subtle in the question arcs. I didn't really remember anything pertinent for Battler's sin. My sister thought of the conversation on the beach where Shannon mentions how Battler left saying he would be back and stuff, but we were very unsure if that was actually it. It's a very minor line that you can read as just establishing Battler's personality. I don't even think there was anything to suggest that Shannon took it seriously. I believe it's the only scene in 1-4 that establishes this.

Because of how subtle it is, even though we knew about that conversation, we couldn't really believe that it was the motive for everything. Partly this is from being unfamiliar with Ryukishi's style. I didn't know how far he'd go to bury the mystery. If I were to read another mystery he wrote I think I would get it sooner because now I know he's willing to do crazy poo poo.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You really got two lions. Don't forget Sakutarou! :mad:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

More spoilers for everything

Why are Shannon and Kanon even present in episode 7? Does Lion pretend to be a servant???

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i cant stop watching umineko memes

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think that's the longest tea party in the game

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have a new hypothesis. Massive spoilers, of course.

Gohda must be the culprit. Only he would be skilled enough to hide small bombs in the candy. Therefore, Gohda is also Kanon. When Kanon calls Gohda fat, that's self-hatred caused by dysmorphia.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Posting about this in hopes something shakes loose in my brain ‘cuz I’ve figured out all these drat riddles so far until Kanon’s and I sure don’t wanna cheat myself out of a good riddle.

Oh duh lmao

Which one was that?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman do not read this yet

They're definitely being confused by the select culprit screen since they think they can only pick one. Should we tell them or let them figure it out?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

okay I've been fuckin' pondering this all day now and I'm finally back at it, time to see if something clicks.

I guess I would appreciate it if someone would confirm (Umineko 8) that it's expecting you to find a singular culprit, it seems like it's really hard to make that work for a lot of the reasons I mentioned above, but if it lets you click more than one* or something then it changes the way I'm going to think about it.

*unless it expects you to select Kanon and Shannon which doesn't solve any of the purple statement issues I'm running into, here

e: the rules really make it seem like there can be more than one culprit
You can read this:

since it's been several hours: you can click more than one culprit on that screen

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Elements of glass onion & knives out are very similar to umineko

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Umi and Knive's Out have some similarities in form but differ completely in tone. Umineko is a sincere story, Knives Out is insincere.

Willard would say it doesn't understand the heart

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

is this where I get to say bernsip.jpg because bernsip.jpg

E8: so if my accusation is incorrect nothing happens but I’m assuming Bern mocks me and I unlock a hint?. Like I said in my last post I’m pretty convinced…

Yeah, just go for it

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Hmmm. The first hint is either entirely less than helpful OR clarifies a rule that should have been laid out better from the start - I certainly don’t recall anything implying the culprit *can’t* tell the truth using purple…was there?. It kinda changes things considerably.

The culprit MAY lie in purple but is not required to

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

try writing it down or drawing a graph and such. that helped a lot

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

:getin:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Can someone explain/give an interpretation, unless the episode spells it out better later?

keep reading

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

going back through some of the spoilers in this thread and had to comment on your fantastic new av

Thank you! My sister drew it for my birthday :toot:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

tell me not to get the one winged golden eagle tattooed on my thigh like beato the elder

do you want to be kinzo's furniture

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

spoilers for everything:

does the non-human-ness of servants actually matter for the count of humans on the island? my memory is that was handled through other means. kanon and shannon counted as one person instead of zero, for example.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Also Lambda is the referee. You can think of Erika's actions as Bern writing secret orders and giving them to Lambda to resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cyouni posted:

The power of being outthought by a 9 year old.

i love your avatar