Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Spinning off from the PYF Game Glitch thread, where people started talking about the things that aren't actually bugs, they're in fact entirely working as intended, but are just weirdly janky ways developers have made games do what they need it to. Turns out there's a lot of really fun ones!

A few quick highlights from the glitch thread, including the thread namesakes:

Arrath posted:

Yeah its very fun trivia, like how early versions of WoW didn't actually support most quest objectives beyond "kill X" so pulling a lever or turning a valve for a quest would fire a script that spawns and kills a rabbit somewhere in the game world to kludge around it.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My game has quite good support for ships and guns, because those are two core aspects of the game. It has...rather less support for anything else. I did make planes their own first-class citizens, but they get launched by invisible plane guns that I position on top of aircraft carriers -- and it's the gun, not the ship, that the plane returns to when it needs to rearm or refuel. But when it comes to bosses? They're all ships or guns. The flying battleship is a ship, of course -- in fact, it uses submarine logic to float at a fixed altitude instead of rocking with the ocean's movement. It just floats above the water instead of belowe it. The submarine boss is a ship, and when it (in a cinematic) flips over and turns into a battleship, I despawn the submarine and spawn the battleship. The giant volcano boss is a gun. The train is a ship, and so are the flying train tracks it travels on.

Philippe posted:

It's like the Fallout 3 thing from awhile back, where the Presidental metro train you ride is just a guy wearing the metro as a hat, running along a predetermined path under the world. Gamebryo, man. Never change.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like clever janky ways that games implement things is at least glitch-adjacent, and able to be appreciated in the same way. Like when you learn that in FFVI, every single in-combat-engine cutscene with Kefka takes place when your party has less than four people in it, because Kefka's programmed as a temporary party member solely so they can load him into those scenes.

SpacePig posted:

This one's always one of my favorites with this type of stuff. It's not complex or anything, it just makes me laugh.
https://twitter.com/the_rabbit42/status/1045045419280125953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Kikas posted:

Wait isn't this similar to what Resident Evil 1 does? It has static cameras because the levels are actually few basic shapes on top of extremely detailed images with properly alligned collision so it looks like it's a very impressive level.

Honestly, one of the classic examples for this thread is that pretty much every room you only see from one angle (or from multiple angles but not needing the whole room) are built like stage sets combined with that invisible bridge in Indiana Jones, and basically only exist to be seen from exactly that angle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

also that looks more like a potato than a person

Congratulations, you've picked up on the FFXIV community's joke.

Lalafel are intended to be based on a combination of the chibi-style designs in the sprite-based games, and the artstyle of Akihiko Yoshida (Final Fantasy Tactics, the FFIII/FFIV 3D remakes... Nier Automata, weirdly), so there's non-terrible logic behind their creation. It's just that it doesn't really matter to people.