Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Well?
Ghostbusters 1 (1984)
Stripes 1 (1980something)
Ghostbusters 2 (I wanna say 1987?)
I don't watch movies
View Results

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i have a long standing dispute w/ one of my sisters. STRIPES is her favorite movie of all time. for some reason she even loved it when she was like 9 years old.

she also loved Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2

i would estimate that she watched those three movies about 100 times each. and that's like, probably being a bit conservative

so, she always, always tries to tell me that Stripes is the best of the three. and i'm jsut like. i can't even with this child. the third act alone is just... i mean come on. i'm not crazy right? she's crazy right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think Stripes has higher highs. But that last part after they graduate is really bad.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I really like Ghostbusters but I freely admit Bill Murray did his damnedest to drag the whole thing down.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

First half of Stripes you could make an argument but the second half really drags it down

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fentry posted:

First half of Stripes you could make an argument but the second half really drags it down

i think Murray did a lot of improv in those earlier scenes and that's why the first half is better

"chicks dig me"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
another one of my little sisters thinks that Ghostbusters 2 is the best, and, i don't know how to even address that opinion

my third little sister does not care for any of them

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Fentry posted:

i dunno, i kinda think the opposite.

the first half starts off entertaining with the foul mouthed drill sergeant and the fat marine who keeps loving up, but it gets pretty dark with all the bullying and ends with the psychotic breakdown and murder-suicide. it can be hard to rewatch when you know what's coming.

the second half where they actually go to vietnam is much more interesting, and gets very intense at the end. but then it ends on sort of a bittersweet note, letting some of the tension out, with the marines singing the mickey mouse song as they march, while the narrator reminisces over dreams of marry-jane rottencrotch and reflects on the good fortune of still being alive.

overall i think the movie is a masterpiece, and highly recommend it.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Eh I didn't like Stripes, I got half way through and turned it off.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
drat, Bill Murray was 30 in stripes. I'm almost 40, and don't look as bad.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Happyimp posted:

Sunscreen was not really popular or effective until the 80s and everyone used to smoke cigarettes first or secondhand.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

No

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ngl both films are sexist as heck in a way that I really didn’t expect

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Stripes didn’t have ghosts in it, or any fantasy elements at all, so I hated it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the pacing of stripes is all off. it starts out strong as gently caress and gains momentum then gets silly and falls apart at act 3

ghostbusters is perfect

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

precision posted:

she also loved Ghostbusters 2

Opinion automatically invalidated, you win.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
remember the band guster which has nothing to do with ghost busters? they suck

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

i just don't buy either of bill murray's characters being able to pull tail for ghostbusters or stripes. like there's no way he could have landed that chick (that ditches his rear end) in stripes.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
All I know about Stripes is my friend as a kid says "his parents let him watch it" even though it's got tits in it
he says "this is the part coming up" and all I remember about the movie is there is mud wrestling and tits in one part

(also it's bad)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pontificating rear end posted:

All I know about Stripes is my friend as a kid says "his parents let him watch it" even though it's got tits in it
he says "this is the part coming up" and all I remember about the movie is there is mud wrestling and tits in one part

(also it's bad)

Dave Thomas is good in that scene as the MC though.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dave Thomas is good in that scene as the MC though.

The Wendy's guy?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Ghost blowjob or sex in a laundry hamper: which was more uncomfortable to watch with my grandmother?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Or Sigourney Weaver taking off her shirt to give Oscar a bath?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Bad Purchase posted:

i dunno, i kinda think the opposite.

the first half starts off entertaining with the foul mouthed drill sergeant and the fat marine who keeps loving up, but it gets pretty dark with all the bullying and ends with the psychotic breakdown and murder-suicide. it can be hard to rewatch when you know what's coming.

the second half where they actually go to vietnam is much more interesting, and gets very intense at the end. but then it ends on sort of a bittersweet note, letting some of the tension out, with the marines singing the mickey mouse song as they march, while the narrator reminisces over dreams of marry-jane rottencrotch and reflects on the good fortune of still being alive.

overall i think the movie is a masterpiece, and highly recommend it.

this is a fuckin great take

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I only saw Stripes after my older bother hyped the hell out of it. So maybe I went in with inflated expectations, but I was kind of meh on it.

Ghostbusters is a classic though. Like there's probably a reason one is better remembered than the other.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I remember watching Stripes a few years ago and my main memory was it was interesting to see Harold Ramis in a non-ghostbusters role. Past that I can only remember I think John Candy was in it and Murray flirts with a woman by having her sit on a stove.

Ghostbusters is fine and a classic but definitely not on the same level as 80s titans like Robocop, back to the future, or the thing. Whole lot more people talking in apartments and less blasting than you remember.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you've watched a movie 100+ times, your opinion on it means less than that of someone who has never watched it once

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
no

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Stripes certainly deserves credit for being one of the only movies with scenes that teenage boys wanted to watch for boobs that was also a movie worth watching for other reasons

But yeah I definitely remember wondering why the movie was still going after the graduation part, even though the armored RV thing they end up with when out in the field definitely falls into the category of "coolest apocalypse vehicles" despite obviously not being an apocalypse movie

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I only saw Stripes after my older bother hyped the hell out of it. So maybe I went in with inflated expectations, but I was kind of meh on it.

Ghostbusters is a classic though. Like there's probably a reason one is better remembered than the other.

:same:

I only first saw Stripes as a twenty something and it was a passable comedy; nothing special. Ghostbusters will always be a great and dear movie to me, but that’s because I saw 1 and 2 in theaters and religiously watched The Real Ghostbusters.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Okay, let's throw wildcards into the mix:

Spies Like Us. or Dragnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht0XM4Z9CXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_QRKfv8H4

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

There are people who liked Dragnet?!?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wifi Toilet posted:

There are people who liked Dragnet?!?

Roger Ebert.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Proof that no one is infallible I guess

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Happyimp posted:

i'm over 45 and don't look as old as he did in Stripes haha

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
When I was a kid I saw a movie where the ghostbusters drove a badass van that shot missiles and had radar and all kinds of cool poo poo.

Spent decades trying to figure out what the hell i saw. Well eventually I came across the movie Stripes and was like holy poo poo this is it! :aaaaa: But then it turns out that van was barely in the movie :sigh:

Two days later Harold Ramis died.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wifi Toilet posted:

Proof that no one is infallible I guess

He gave Die Hard two stars, but also clowned on Ben Stein for his creationist nonsense movie, so Ebert was a man of contrasts.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That magical armored anti-communist van thing felt like a whole different movie’s plot device stapled onto the end of the movie

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If you ever want a fun double-feature to watch, pair up Stripes with John Belushi's 1941.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man yeah 1941 owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

i just don't buy either of bill murray's characters being able to pull tail for ghostbusters or stripes. like there's no way he could have landed that chick (that ditches his rear end) in stripes.

Murray... what about Harold Ramis in stripes lmao