Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM the moderation team. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2019, refer to archives]

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
July: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
August: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay
September: Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
October: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
November: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
December: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

2020:
January: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
February: WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin
March: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini by Benvenuto Cellini
April: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
May: Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Dame Rebecca West
June: The African Queen by C. S. Forester
July: The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
August: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire, by Howard Pyle
September: Strange Hotel, by Eimear McBride
October:Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things (怪談)("Ghost Stories"), by Lafcadio Hearn
November: A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear: The Utopian Plot to Liberate an American Town (And Some Bears) , by Matthew Hongoltz Hetling
December: Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John Drury Clark

2021:

January: The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
February: How to Read Donald Duck by Ariel Dorfman and Armand Mattelart
March: Carrier Wave by Robert Brockway
April: The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brian
May: You Can't Win by Jack Black
June:Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
July:Can Such Things Be by Ambrose Bierce
August: Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
September:A Dreamer's Tales by Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany
October:We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
November:Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers
December:Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

2022:

January: The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway
February: Les Contes Drolatiques by Honore de Balzac
March: Depeche Mode by Serhiy Zhadan
April: Kalpa Imperial by Angélica Gorodischer (Trans. Le Guin)

Current:

Book available here:

https://archive.org/details/nightflight00sain/mode/2up ("books to borrow")
https://www.amazon.com/Night-Flight-Harbrace-Paperbound-Library/dp/0156656051

This book was published in 1931, so is out of copyright most places that aren't America; if you're in a country where it's open season, then feel free to grab it from one of these sources:

https://usa1lib.org/s/Antoine%20De%20Saint-Exupery%20Night%20Flight/?e=1
https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20150364 (free, French)
http://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/saintexuperya-voldenuit/saintexuperya-voldenuit-00-h.html (free, French; readable in Google Translate!)

About the Book

quote:

The book is based on Saint-Exupéry's experiences as an airmail pilot and as a director of the Aeroposta Argentina airline, based in Buenos Aires. The characters were inspired by the people Saint-Exupéry knew while working in South America. Notably, the character of Rivière was based on the airline's operations director Didier Daurat. With an introduction by André Gide, the novel of only 23 short chapters was published by Éditions Gallimard in 1931 and was awarded the Prix Femina for that year. In 1932 it was translated into English by Stuart Gilbert as Night Flight and was made a Book of the Month Club choice in the United States. In the following year, Saint-Exupéry's friend Jacques Guerlain used the book's title as the name for his scent Vol de Nuit. The bottle was a blend of glass and metal in Art Deco style with a propeller motif.[2

quote:

Saint Exupéry's Vol de nuit, based on real-life events in South America, had won the 1931 Prix Femina, one of the main French literary prizes (awarded by a female jury).[4] Prior to this award, he had been little known outside of the literary sphere, but as a result of the prize, received widespread recognition and attention from Hollywood

About the author

quote:

Antoine Marie Jean-Baptiste Roger, comte de Saint-Exupéry,[3] simply known as Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (UK: /ˌsæ̃tɪɡˈzuːpɛri/,[4] US: /-ɡzuːpeɪˈriː/,[5] French: [ɑ̃twan də sɛ̃t‿ɛɡzypeʁi]; 29 June 1900 – 31 July 1944), was a French writer, poet, aristocrat, journalist and pioneering aviator. He became a laureate of several of France's highest literary awards and also won the United States National Book Award.[6] He is best remembered for his novella The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) and for his lyrical aviation writings, including Wind, Sand and Stars and Night Flight.

Saint-Exupéry was a successful commercial pilot before World War II, working airmail routes in Europe, Africa, and South America. He joined the French Air Force at the start of the war, flying reconnaissance missions until France's armistice with Germany in 1940. After being demobilised from the French Air Force, he travelled to the United States to help persuade its government to enter the war against Nazi Germany.

Saint-Exupéry spent 28 months in America, during which he wrote three of his most important works, then joined the Free French Air Force in North Africa—although he was far past the maximum age for such pilots and in declining health. He disappeared and is believed to have died while on a reconnaissance mission from Corsica over the Mediterranean on 31 July 1944.[7] Although the wreckage of his plane was discovered off the coast of Marseille in 2000, the ultimate cause of the crash remains unknown.[8]

quote:

Saint-Exupéry's first novella, L'Aviateur (The Aviator), was published in 1926 in a short-lived literary magazine Le Navire d'Argent (The Silver Ship).[23] In 1929, his first book, Courrier Sud (Southern Mail) was published; his career as an aviator and journalist was about to begin. That same year, Saint-Exupéry flew the Casablanca—Dakar route.[citation needed]

The 1931 publication of Vol de nuit (Night Flight) established Saint-Exupéry as a rising star in the literary world. It was the first of his major works to gain widespread acclaim and won the prix Femina. The novel mirrored his experiences as a mail pilot and director of the Aeroposta Argentina airline, based in Buenos Aires, Argentina.[24] That same year, at Grasse, Saint-Exupéry married Consuelo Suncin (née Suncín Sandoval), a once-divorced, once-widowed Salvadoran writer and artist, who possessed a bohemian spirit and a "viper's tongue".

Saint-Exupéry, thoroughly enchanted by the diminutive woman, would leave and then return to her many times—she was both his muse and, over the long term, the source of much of his angst.[25] It was a stormy union, with Saint-Exupéry travelling frequently and indulging in numerous affairs, most notably with the Frenchwoman Hélène de Vogüé (1908–2003), known as "Nelly" and referred to as "Madame de B." in Saint-Exupéry biographies.[26][Note 2] Vogüé became Saint-Exupéry's literary executrix after his death and also wrote her own Saint-Exupéry biography under a pseudonym, Pierre Chevrier.[28]

quote:

After he returned from his stay in Quebec, which had been fraught with illness and stress, the French wife of one of his publishers helped persuade Saint-Exupéry to produce a children's book,[47] hoping to calm his nerves and also compete with the new series of Mary Poppins stories by P.L. Travers. Saint-Exupéry wrote and illustrated The Little Prince in New York City and the village of Asharoken in mid-to-late 1942, with the manuscript being completed in October.[45] It would be first published months later in early 1943 in both English and French in the United States, and would only later appear in his native homeland posthumously after the liberation of France, as his works had been banned by the collaborationist Vichy Regime.[48][49][Note 5]

References and Other Material

The book was made into a 1933 film starring Myrna Loy and John Barrymore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Flight_(1933_film)

Some clips are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InMAlgLl9dg

quote:

Vol De Nuit, a masterpiece from 1933 that is still in production, is perhaps the house of Guerlain’s most difficult, troubling, and mysterious perfume. Of the handful of still extant creations by Jacques Guerlain, it is this scent – Night Flight – based on a delicate and poetic novel by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, that is the most unreachable and impenetrable of his perfumes: strange, distant, opaque

https://theblacknarcissus.com/2015/03/20/journey-into-light-vol-de-nuit-by-guerlain-i933/

Pacing

:justpost:

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Materials

https://www.tor.com/2014/06/04/entanglement-angelica-gorodischers-kalpa-imperial/

https://smallbeerpress.com/tag/angelica-gorodischer/

Discussion of Past Months

You can still keep talking about books from prior months, too! Just keep comments for those books in their respective threads -- that's why we link them all at the top! The party doesn't have to stop just because another has started!

Suggestions for Future Months

These threads aren't just for discussing the current BOTM; If you have a suggestion for next month's book, please feel free to post it in the thread below also. Generally what we're looking for in a BotM are works that have

1) accessibility -- either easy to read or easy to download a free copy of, ideally both

2) novelty -- something a significant fraction of the forum hasn't already read

3) discussability -- intellectual merit, controversiality, insight -- a book people will be able to talk about.

Final Note:

Thanks, and we hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
focus on flight and machinery (and service to this machinery at the expense of the organic), the unsentimental discarding of the old in favor of the new, the explicit call to sacrifice men into the maws of machinery in order to advance and strengthen society...

but enough about the futurist manifesto

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I read it. It's a book. I really don't have anything to say, except that despite the foreword's claim to the contrary the boss character is a piece of poo poo.

I just finished reading Homicide, which looks at the daily work of homicide detectives. When starting Night flight I hoped it was going to be something like that, and I got some of that, but in very small doses, the book was busier trying to make some grand point.

It has some good scenes, but others made me go "dude chill, it's just postal delivery".

I'm really surprised it had as big an impact as the wikipedia page makes it seem like.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Air mail was a huge, huge deal in its time because it meant much faster transport of parcels and private information without some of the physical restrictions of other methods; at the same time, it also had a significant and public deathtoll in pilots while the infrastructure of regular flight safety technology was still being developed and standardized.

All of this was during an era, the golden age of aviation, where flight was still a frontier-breaking, high-risk activity by pioneers, explorers and military veterans, so it was front and center in the public imagination. Most people during this period would, if anything, have a blurry photograph of what it would look like to be above the clouds.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 9, 2022

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
The boss character reminded me of the king in the little prince, except not actually aware of his limitations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I did enjoy this, although right at the end I just had a bell rung in my head near the end: you take the opposite of everything this book does, and you end up with Airplane! Maybe I shouldn't have watched it last week. But everything about Night Flight is so, so serious in how everyone acts.

Considering how big of a hit this was, and the hard-nosed characters it has, this seems like it was very influential on how you would write every pilot disaster film in the future.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Recently finished this, taking my time with it deliberately to make the eighty-odd pages last longer. There are some lovely images and some exciting and powerful moments, like the final approach to Buenos Aires and the beautiful descriptions of the towns and lights and so on. But I have been left feeling completely blank. I understand the historical context, and that in the 1930s airmail and aviation in general were still a source of wonder and exhileration for the average reader. So perhaps it's just a generational/cultural gap? I don't know. Maybe if I'd read this as a young teen I would have been more excited by it? It mostly made me curious to re-read Roald Dahl's Going Solo because I remember that being properly engrossing as a young'un.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Next month's book will be The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finally tracked down a copy of this.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I'm reading this in both French and English, mainly to remind myself how bad my French has gotten since school (worse than I thought, in fact) and while the English translation is solid, it's obviously not one to one, interpreting a foreign text is always somewhat of a creative art.

To wit, the opening paragraph in English:

quote:

Already, beneath him, through the golden evening, the shadowed hills had dug their furrows and the plains grew luminous with long-enduring light. For in these lands the ground gives off this golden glow persistently, just as, even when winter goes, the whiteness of the snow persists.

but en francais:

quote:

Les collines, sous l'avion, creusaient déjà
leur sillage d'ombre dans l'or du soir. Les
plaines devenaient lumineuses mais d'une
inusable lumière : dans ce pays elles n'en
finissent pas de rendre leur or
de même
qu'après l'hiver, elles n'en finissent pas de
rendre leur neige

The bold part is largely omitted from the English, and it changes the vibe. It's more poetic. To me it reads like:

"…the plains became luminous, but it was a useless light. For this land doesn't give up it's gold, just like after winter it doesn't give up its snow."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1533272607872663552?s=20&t=u3YP6VrFjS0X8QSwQZz2Ow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I read this book in 35 minutes but I felt that there were some things lost in translation.
Some nice prose though anyways.