Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Wikipedia posted:

Something Awful (SA) is a comedy website housing a variety of content, including blog entries, forums, feature articles, digitally edited pictures, and humorous media reviews. It was created by Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka in 1999 as a largely personal website, but as it grew, so did its contributors and content. The website has helped to perpetuate various Internet phenomena, and it has been cited as an influence on Internet culture. In 2018, Gizmodo placed it as 89th on their list of "100 Websites That Shaped the Internet as We Know It".

So while dredging through the deepest levels of my file hoarding collection I came across something that might have some bearing to SA. It's a 1.8 odd GB ZIP file with a last modified timestamp of 6/14/2008 and the filename is "INTERNETCOLONTHETORRENT_by_Jo.zip" and it's nothing but stuff from SA back then. I started a thread in Technical Enquiries Contemplated Here to see if anyone wanted a copy and over a three month period about two dozen or so copies were requested. Someone other than me finally put a copy up on MEGA.NZ which was really helpful because my personal hosting only gives me 1 TB of transfer a month and I had to restrict distribution a bit in order to not take a chance on wiping out my quota. And now SA in general can experience the joy of going on an archeological dig through some of the content posted to SA some 14 years ago.

Some preview info:

and speaking of content....

:siren: FAIR WARNING / 100% PROBABILITY OF FINDING :nws:/:nms: STUFF ! :siren:

Given the age of and location all of this stuff came from you are officially warned you will find content that by today's societal/forum standards would probably get you hit with a lawsuit/perma-ban in about 3 seconds flat. I am doing this in the context of historical interest and in no way support, endorse or condone some of the offensive things you might find in here. I would seriously suggest liberal use of spoilering/tagging as needed if posting images. This thread was pre-approved by sebmojo so I got that going for me.

To get things started the following image has a last modified date of Sunday, February 22nd 2004 and the filename is "stomachpancake.jpg"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wow, 1.8 GB in 2008 is nearly 100 GB in today’s file size economy

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The thing that always strikes me about really old internet poo poo is how everything is tiny and compressed to hell. I opened a zip with "wallpaper" in the name and it was a bit over 1024x768.

Do 1280x1024 LCDs even still exist?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
it's a real good folder. you might find a couple pictures of some titties or some humor that hasn't aged but this is one of the best internet archaeology finds in a long time

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Duee to various image hosting sites vanishing, its great to come acrosss tuff thats been lost to the modern net, art, jokes, and a mans distended arsehole.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

drat, there are some proper vintage lolcats and memes in there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

staberind posted:

Duee to various image hosting sites vanishing, its great to come acrosss tuff thats been lost to the modern net, art, jokes, and a mans distended arsehole.
To be honest, I'd have been disappointed if Kirk's pride had not been included.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nice find OP

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MREBoy posted:

Not sure if this is a warning or a promise...

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I saw this image in the Tarot_Cards directory and it scared the poo poo out of me:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone find the Gameboy pic of Kevin Eubanks saying "thas cold, Jay" that I've been looking for for fifteen years?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

toasting in a legendary bread
thank you for posting this

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
You are doing God's work.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

MREBoy posted:

Given the age of and location all of this stuff came from you are officially warned you will find content that by today's societal/forum standards would probably get you hit with a lawsuit/perma-ban in about 3 seconds flat. I am doing this in the context of historical interest and in no way support, endorse or condone some of the offensive things you might find in here. I would seriously suggest liberal use of spoilering/tagging as needed if posting images. This thread was pre-approved by sebmojo so I got that going for me.

Right up my loving alley

Thanks

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Oh hell yeah. A photoshop I made for a phriday 18 years ago is in here.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lister posted:

Oh hell yeah. A photoshop I made for a phriday 18 years ago is in here.

:justpost:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

p. accurate prediction of the future

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Question for Jeffrery - is this code still in there somewhere ?

27639cc71589f13adcdf03e2a919fbca6d99f006.png / December '06

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

t'was the juggalos what did 'im in

Only registered members can see post attachments!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MREBoy posted:

Question for Jeffrery - is this code still in there somewhere ?

27639cc71589f13adcdf03e2a919fbca6d99f006.png / December '06

Not Jeffrey, but the text ad code is long gone.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I have a similar horde of SA stuff from the time I reg'd in 2004 to mostly around 2010 with a few newer files here and there.

It's also over 5 gigs.

Highlights include:

Stuff from over 200 photoshop threads

Audio including goons doing acapella covers of NES songs, some zoomzip stuff, Research Indicates reading stuff for goons, some weird Doug-inspired songs and the classic Gas Chamber music.

Video including:

The Curse of Cheddar Bay featuring goons dressed as a sailor and a kraken confusing Red Lobster employees

the Mr. Water video.

A crapton of Gorgeous George stuff with audio & video.

Some screenshots of the fabled no-rules Chaos Night,

And much more!

I'm uploading it to MEGA, but it's gonna take a while. If a mod approves, I'll post the link. Much less chance of :nws: & :nms: stuff in my lot, but I can't rule anything out.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Moai Ou posted:

I'm uploading it to MEGA, but it's gonna take a while. If a mod approves, I'll post the link. Much less chance of :nws: & :nms: stuff in my lot, but I can't rule anything out.

I approve. It's good that we're keeping a record because a lot of this stuff is the genesis of what the internet has become and it's fascinating to look at where we were and where we are.

AND OH MY GOD YOU CAPPED MY FAVORITE FORUMS EVENT EVER?????? I LOVE YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Real talk: bring back chaos night.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BUG JUG posted:

:hmmyes:

Honestly I remember laughing so hard my sides hurt. The forums crashed, you posted a thread and it was immediately on the third page

It was such an incredible night and I'm so glad I got to play a small part in it

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

BUG JUG posted:

It's the only time I ever had anything on my Rap Sheet, and it was a loving autoban.

Here's the link for my archive: https://mega.nz/folder/iF4gxSSb#RMagl3SNWRS0gdCzSW4HGQ

It's still uploading atm (20,000 files to go!), but the big Unsorted folder is done. Gorgeous George stuff is going up now.

EDIT: Use the new link:siren:HERE:siren:, for a more organized experience. This version also includes links to the original threads. It is currently still being sorted through and does not have all the content of the old link, however, it does have newly added items the old one doesn't. Let's Play group Freelance Astronauts archive is HERE.

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 14, 2022

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i have something similar i got sometime in 2009. some of the files are from 2002. the sa folder is 915mb and almost 20,000 pics. there is two versions of an art collection too, that is 1.29gb. also a gorgeous george collection with a bunch videos and stuff. if anyone is interested in this let me know and i can figure out how to upload it :)

this is the first art collection

art collection 2 is the same but different

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 7, 2022

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

BUG JUG posted:

I mean, isn't this just current GBS?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

I mean, isn't this just current GBS?

oh absolutely not

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Okay, the MEGA upload is finished.

I did find one disturbing image. Ribkid moonlighting as pizzakid:

This nostalgia trip also reminded me that I have one part of SA history that I unfortunately can't upload:

I had this guy in my closet, wanting to :frogout:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i have something similar i got sometime in 2009. some of the files are from 2002. the sa folder is 915mb and almost 20,000 pics. there is two versions of an art collection too, that is 1.29gb. also a gorgeous george collection with a bunch videos and stuff. if anyone is interested in this let me know and i can figure out how to upload it :)
If the art collection is 1.3gb how small are the image sizes?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Moai Ou posted:

I had this guy in my closet, wanting to :frogout:
Oh my god, you found one? Or is that one someone recreated? Goons went on huge hunts back in the day, as far as even tracking down the Chinese redistributor who imported them to the US, and as far as I know no one was ever able to find a source.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I had the idea of doing this a few years ago but going through my archives there's a lot of stuff I reeeeeeally don't find funny anymore and I got embarrassed for even saving it.

Well done actually posting this.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Oh my god, you found one? Or is that one someone recreated? Goons went on huge hunts back in the day, as far as even tracking down the Chinese redistributor who imported them to the US, and as far as I know no one was ever able to find a source.

Back in 2014 or 2015, I was driving by a yard sale and did a double-take. I slammed on my brakes, put the car in park and ran to the table it was on.
I excitedly asked, "How much for the frog!?," paid my $3 and ran back to the car and drove off.

So, yes, I acquired it in the gooniest way possible. It's in perfect shape and even has the tag still attached.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Moai Ou posted:

Back in 2014 or 2015, I was driving by a yard sale and did a double-take. I slammed on my brakes, put the car in park and ran to the table it was on.
I excitedly asked, "How much for the frog!?," paid my $3 and ran back to the car and drove off.

So, yes, I acquired it in the gooniest way possible. It's in perfect shape and even has the tag still attached.
Amazing. Keep it safe until we open the SA Museum.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Moai Ou posted:

I'll give you 100 million thousand dollars for it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll give you my anal virginity!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

the folder on fake school posters is also pretty lol

barnold fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 7, 2022

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Thread needs a [56k steer clear] tag...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alucard posted:

Thread needs a [56k steer clear] tag...