Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
hello my dear goons, this thread is two topics for the price of one, courtesy of yours truly. i have questions about magic!

1) I've been watching Penn and Teller on YouTube because the holy algorithm decided thats what I should see, and wouldnt you know it, clips from their acts are pretty entertaining. less entertaining are people in the comments getting really heated about how the tricks were done. But regardless, magic seems really cool, and if nothing else, would be a neat hobby to get into. I don't intend to swallow glass or transform that 460 lb chinese man who attempted a climb on mt everest into a rabbit, but it seems like it could be fun from time to time. should i look into this more? where do i start? is becoming an amateur Wizard Master second only in forums moderator in cringe?

2) are Penn and Teller cool people? The Penn guy I think is the same dude that was once the Amazing Atheist, which seems like annoying fedora garbage, but from what I've seen based on what little interviews I could find, he seems decent enough of a person. Teller talks only outside of performances so I don't know much about him, other than that his silent way of doing shows was a way to avoid being heckled in college and as a storytelling technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I saw Penn and Teller live, was loving awesome. Teller even said he was happy to sign refuse which was one of the playing cards I picked up after the show.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

buglord posted:

2) are Penn and Teller cool people? The Penn guy I think is the same dude that was once the Amazing Atheist, which seems like annoying fedora garbage, but from what I've seen based on what little interviews I could find, he seems decent enough of a person. Teller talks only outside of performances so I don't know much about him, other than that his silent way of doing shows was a way to avoid being heckled in college and as a storytelling technique.

Penn has always been big on promoting atheism but yeah, with kind of an underlying theme of "everyone should be decent people without needing the threat of religion."

He used to be a big libertarian but he's turned away from that in the past few years in light of Trump getting elected and all the idiocy around "personal liberties" and COVID.

(edit): from Wikipedia

quote:

He stated in 2008 that he "always" votes Libertarian, and endorsed Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson for President in 2012 and 2016. However, he participated in vote swapping in 2016 by voting for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton in the swing state of Nevada, in exchange for "10 or 11" of his friends promising to vote for Johnson in blue states like California and New York.

In 2020, Jillette distanced himself from aspects of right-libertarianism, particularly surrounding COVID-19. In an interview with Big Think, he stated, "[A] lot of the illusions that I held dear, rugged individualism, individual freedoms, are coming back to bite us in the rear end." He went on to elaborate, "[I]t seems like getting rid of the gatekeepers gave us Trump as president, and in the same breath, in the same wind, gave us not wearing masks, and maybe gave us a huge unpleasant amount of overt racism."

In the 2020 United States Presidential Election, Jillette endorsed Andrew Yang in the Democratic primary. In an op-ed for CNN after that year's general election, he stated that he "used to identify as Libertarian", but voted for Joe Biden.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Penn and Teller are good.

Getting into quaint social affectation magic will kick you down the social ladder to one rung above the guy who is really into puppetry, and one rung below white guys with dreadlocks.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

StarkRavingMad posted:

Penn has always been big on promoting atheism but yeah, with kind of an underlying theme of "everyone should be decent people without needing the threat of religion."

He used to be a big libertarian but he's turned away from that in the past few years in light of Trump getting elected and all the idiocy around "personal liberties" and COVID.

(edit): from Wikipedia

omg him being overweight literally made him an rear end in a top hat

i kid, deciding to make an effort to slim down is attached to some other personal issues he must've been dealing with, good for him

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I got a magic trick for ya, takes some time though. I made an entire sub sandwich disappear (by eating) and tomorrow morning I will make it reappear as a big piece of poo poo in the toilet!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ur mom knows some pretty cool tricks OP

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I Saw Penn and Teller live which was a great show. Also met them after and they were really nice to everyone, so yes, seems like they are cool people.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Penn wrote a really nice tribute to Gilbert Gottfried so he's A-OK in my book.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Only Magic I know is during Gatherings

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They made a great documentary called Tim's Vermeer, about a guy who tried to perfectly copy a Vermeer painting using some interesting techniques to get photorealistic lighting with the thought that Vermeer might have used optical devices to help him get realistic results.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They are diabolists practicing the darkest sorcery, trust not their honeyed words for they will lead you directly to hell.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Penn and Teller are great, but Teller is hands down the more interesting and talented one.

Most of the time, Teller isn't just the better magician, he's the magician, and Penn is there to distract the audience and grab their attention. Of course, that's not really a big revelation or a hot take. It's kind of the whole point of their act. It's a really good act where they both have their part. But Penn would still be way easier to replace than Teller, and if they ever broke up, Teller would be the one still doing top quality shows.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 7, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Penn invented a hot tub specifically designed to give women orgasms and apparently used to bug female houseguests to test it all the time

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Rockman Reserve posted:

Penn invented a hot tub specifically designed to give women orgasms and apparently used to bug female houseguests to test it all the time

i dont know what this is about but your av really makes me wish MML3 came out. Im sorry pal :/

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

sean penn sucks

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I like watching "Fool Us". They're super nice and supportive to everyone even when they aren't remotely fooled. It's the opposite of most talent shows where the judges are cruel and bitchy. They still have a clear love for the history and practice of magic. Plus I don't know magic so all the acts are impressive to me.

Teller doing "shadows" is a work of art:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RReNgGUH1ps

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I liked their Bullshit show even if it cited the Cato Institute more than I'm comfortable with.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's not real magic op, they are tricking you

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Anyway if you wanna learn how to trick people might I recommend the famed 17th century booke Hocus Pocus Junior, aka Art of jugling set forth in his proper colours, fully, plainly, and exactly, so that an ignorant person may thereby learn the full perfection of the same, after a little practice

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sophy Wackles posted:

I Saw Penn and Teller live which was a great show. Also met them after and they were really nice to everyone, so yes, seems like they are cool people.

Same and I got the little gift bag with the program and their playing cards and a couple other things and got it signed.

It really was a awesome act

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

buglord posted:

...But regardless, magic seems really cool, and if nothing else, would be a neat hobby to get into. I don't intend to swallow glass or transform that 460 lb chinese man who attempted a climb on mt everest into a rabbit, but it seems like it could be fun from time to time. should i look into this more? where do i start?

I started learning from books, like Erdnase's The Expert at the Card Table, but to be honest video is far superior. Learning a few card tricks gets you in the right frame of mind to start in on other sleights. Learn an "Ambitious Card" routine with doubles and breaks, then go onto learning the French Drop or something. Youtube is full of how-tos for the simpler tricks and will quickly tell you if you can be bothered to put in the hours to really get the skills down.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Framptons:The Vizier is where I would start, its expensive but worth it if you're at least 3°

Approaching The Glass Moon is maybe easier for you.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Thirding or fourthing learn card tricks you can do with an unaltered deck of cards before you move on to the heavy stuff that costs money and need a setup.

Penn and Teller also have a couple books of tricks to mess with your friends but they warn you about becoming "magic trick guy". Sooooo be careful what you wish for. Primarily, you will be really cool to the kids at family parties when you do a tight 5 and then disappear to get yourself another drink. It's fun to show kids the basic "pick a card any card" trick and watch them go from adult to adult making them go through pretending they are amazing because who is going to tell a little kid they suck.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charles Bukowski posted:

I liked their Bullshit show even if it cited the Cato Institute more than I'm comfortable with.

Same, their episode on recycling was so libertarian, it turned me off of Penn for a while

Hearing that 2016 turned him away from lolbertarianism is really cool, actually

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I've said this before but PUA redpill types love magic. Everyone I know who's gotten in to magic or illusions was really just doing it to try to baffle women into fondling their balls.

(Except one friend who had super strict Indian parents growing up and wasn't able to pursue personal hobbies until after he became a successful pharmacist so that's kind of a happy story).

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

To get real magic powers, polish your knob or slit with this stuff while chanting:

WIZARD MASTER... WIZARD MASTER...

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

To dangerous to touch. The secrets will make you an incel by action.

You'll never make another friend.... A .. gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Penn and Teller are great, but Teller is hands down the more interesting and talented one.

Most of the time, Teller isn't just the better magician, he's the magician, and Penn is there to distract the audience and grab their attention. Of course, that's not really a big revelation or a hot take. It's kind of the whole point of their act. It's a really good act where they both have their part. But Penn would still be way easier to replace than Teller, and if they ever broke up, Teller would be the one still doing top quality shows.
Penn is definitely more of the showman but yeah they'll play up the "i'm just the big dumb guy" thing when fooled as well - hands down my favorite trick because I think some of Penn's anger is bordering on genuine at how good Kostya is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFXV6o7cro