Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

buglord posted:

2) are Penn and Teller cool people? The Penn guy I think is the same dude that was once the Amazing Atheist, which seems like annoying fedora garbage, but from what I've seen based on what little interviews I could find, he seems decent enough of a person. Teller talks only outside of performances so I don't know much about him, other than that his silent way of doing shows was a way to avoid being heckled in college and as a storytelling technique.

Penn has always been big on promoting atheism but yeah, with kind of an underlying theme of "everyone should be decent people without needing the threat of religion."

He used to be a big libertarian but he's turned away from that in the past few years in light of Trump getting elected and all the idiocy around "personal liberties" and COVID.

(edit): from Wikipedia

quote:

He stated in 2008 that he "always" votes Libertarian, and endorsed Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson for President in 2012 and 2016. However, he participated in vote swapping in 2016 by voting for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton in the swing state of Nevada, in exchange for "10 or 11" of his friends promising to vote for Johnson in blue states like California and New York.

In 2020, Jillette distanced himself from aspects of right-libertarianism, particularly surrounding COVID-19. In an interview with Big Think, he stated, "[A] lot of the illusions that I held dear, rugged individualism, individual freedoms, are coming back to bite us in the rear end." He went on to elaborate, "[I]t seems like getting rid of the gatekeepers gave us Trump as president, and in the same breath, in the same wind, gave us not wearing masks, and maybe gave us a huge unpleasant amount of overt racism."

In the 2020 United States Presidential Election, Jillette endorsed Andrew Yang in the Democratic primary. In an op-ed for CNN after that year's general election, he stated that he "used to identify as Libertarian", but voted for Joe Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU