Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sad part is, WoW isn't even the MMO I've been sexually harrassed in the most. One oddity I've noticed in my time playing MMOs: a lot of people online assume I'm a woman because... I type in complete sentences with good grammar most of the time. Apparently this indicates that I'm a woman, not that my mother was an English teacher. :v:

Being right honest, I assumed you were some shade of fem. I know you not, but to me you narrative voice is that of a youthful Hellen Mirren.

Also, many kudos on this LP; you have encouraged me to put up my first post possibly ever.

If you could write a faction in WoW, with carte blanche freedom so long as it isn't an "A" or "B" plot in present expansion, how would that go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, the Scourge are not, say, the Vampire Counts from Warhammer Fantasy, chanting "Kill them! Raise them!" because their leader has a theoretically sort-of legitimate claim to the throne and resents that he was considered disqualified based on him being an undead blood-drinking monster.

They're an anime style "We will destroy the world and remake it in our image of PERFECT DEATH AND ORDER!" threat.

Aha, the Age of Sigmar Nagash school of Necromancy.

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

The weirdest thing is that technically he represents an interesting opposition to other characters: Power at any cost to defend ourselves vs accepting weakness to ensure that we're still worth defending. It's a classic bit of story writing which more or less always comes down on the second side because we all know there are good reasons some things are considered war crimes(and any fiction that comes down on the former side tends to have very, very odd authors).

The alternative perspecive is that Illidan is just better than most people and he can take the maluses of demon-ness and not become corrupted. Entire peoples fallen to the deprications of fel magicks? Naw, skill issue.

Makes for a unique admixture of a trope, where rather than power corrupting, it corrupts only the weak and poo poo people.

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I do not feel like "the inherently superior humans can be trusted with incredible power and control over the rest of us" is necessarily unique or interesting, I'm pretty sure I've seen it before in writing that I wasn't happy with.

Hearing you say it like that, I dig what you mean. In my head, I was thinking about the larger context of all the WoW peeps who've been described becoming corrupted and stuff, all the while this dude Illidan who is deadass not affected by a force and the closest explanation is 'git gud'.

Isn't dissonant, I suppose. I doubt there is a writer in the blizz room who cares much about themes or thematic dissonance. It just implies and reinforces my academia-poisoned feelings on this property: it has the implication of narrative depth, but none of the water. Not a bad thing, mind, just bad here.

DariusJonna fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 14, 2023

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately, we're not done with Tyrande's... questionable... choices yet (or, if you prefer, Blizzard's awful writing).

Next update has been recorded, and I think it will finally be time to talk about what exactly happened to Suramar, Tyrande's home town.

Those whom it concerns, you may start grinding your axes now.

Why is blizz witing (and comics writing in general) bad? I struggle a lot to grasp what goes into creating the results outlined here?

I get the impression that it's like movies, where the thought is placed above what counts and time contraints means that a complete scratch is entirely out of the question. I don't feel that is enough of an explanation, though. Like, even Uwe Boll or someone poo poo get better with time working at the craft they set themself to.

Could it be apathy? A disinterest in being good at a job you hate? How the gently caress does that work, then? "Like, I'd love to argue with Hazzicostas or whatever about his idea of the players getting a naga sex slave plot of the new patch, but eh... don't get paid enough to, better to just go along with it?"

I have no answers and I must know.

DariusJonna fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 19, 2023

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013
Welp, Poland continues to be the pitchest, blackest buncha edgelords.

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013
Welp, Poland continues to be the pitchest, blackest buncha edgelords.

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Today's subject, Lord Garithos.

Garithos, Othmar Garithos to use his real name, was the son of a minor noble in Lordaeron whose home lay on the border with Quel'thalas.

That horse looks so very done with carrying this jobber oval office.

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Thank all y'all for reading!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and magnificent undertaking.

Have you any interest in answering questions about your fanfiction/OC sections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusJonna
Nov 21, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sure, now that the LP is done.

I'm happy to discuss any questions people have about my writing or processes.

So what's Anduin up to, in the Isaverse? Varian having a good-ish upbringing and not being a child-king musta changed some things.

Also, any petty bitch decisions you got for any established characters? Sorta "this happens to this person because gently caress their hair!"

Finally, you got this as a fanfic, right? But when you think of this dead branch timeline, you clearly had an idea of like canon and how that all goes down. That thought experiment, you had it in your head a certain way? Like as an MMO or a book series with those tropes and narrative techniques.

DariusJonna fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 6, 2024