Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
You can beat the first mission in a single turn once you understand how to gain and spend momentum. I really like how the game rewards aggressive, smart plays.

It is a shame the dlc seems really under baked. The first one basically ruined the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't really like how the DLC is structured for the game, where they drop in a shitload of new enemies and wrinkles as free updates but restrict all of the new toys to help you deal with the new enemies and wrinkles to the paid part of the DLC.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

I don't really like how the DLC is structured for the game, where they drop in a shitload of new enemies and wrinkles as free updates but restrict all of the new toys to help you deal with the new enemies and wrinkles to the paid part of the DLC.

I got back into this game today and there's an additional setting during campaign creation to turn off DLC units from normal spawns

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want to jump back in and play this but I'm not sure if it's worth getting either of the DLCs or just disabling new enemy types and playing the base game. Any opinions on what is worth getting/disabling?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Popete posted:

I want to jump back in and play this but I'm not sure if it's worth getting either of the DLCs or just disabling new enemy types and playing the base game. Any opinions on what is worth getting/disabling?

The new DLC is pretty good, the assassins are different enough compared to your regular units and the new mission types are fun. Unfortunately the disabling thing is all or nothing and not on DLC basis, so if you don't disable them you'll still get Duty Eternal enemies which can gently caress you up really badly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Having crashing issues :(

Updated everything, disabled steam overlay, downgrade a little in the settings. Still happening.

I don't suppose there's a 'Oh you need to disable/change this setting' that the community has worked out?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I really, really REALLY wish that once you've detected a blip, the UI showed you which squares will trigger it, like XCOM2 does.

That is all.
It's so annoying to have to reload a turn half a dozen times to figure out which squares are lava while you're trying to finish off an encounter...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm 40 days in, and goofed the first mission forgetting that servo skulls are primo rewards the first couple of outings. not really a huge deal as I rearranged the research to make it work

got my first assassin, Callidus, and they're fun. all their abilities are on cooldowns instead of costing WP. so you're encouraged to use them often to keep up momentum

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

got my first assassin, Callidus, and they're fun. all their abilities are on cooldowns instead of costing WP. so you're encouraged to use them often to keep up momentum

Yeah, they're all like that. And all of their CDs tick up on kills (including kills on the 1HP little shits that some plague units revive when they have nothing better to do). Other assassin factoids : they don't trigger overwatch or suppression at all ; and they don't count as Knights so you can't use For the Chapter or the teleport stratagem on them. They do still get 1AP on executions however.

So far, what I've seen/used :

Vindicare can precision target on a 3T cooldown, bleeds on crits, ignores half cover, has a "y'all can't shoot me !" ability on a 2T cooldown that doesn't cost AP and last but not least can simply erase any organic target on a 15T cooldown, no questions asked..

Eversor is a melee beast that uses HP instead of cooldowns, and heals on kills for a fraction of the victim's HP. They also explode on death but since all assassins only have the one life, it's not a very useful power. Other than that they can give themselves 1AP, teleport around inflicting large amounts of Bleed, immediately trigger a guy's bleed in melee and disable a guy in melee for one turn.

Callidus is kind of meh - they can transform into an enemy for 1AP which makes them untargettable (also won't trigger pods) but they don't reveal FoW in this mode. They also have a PBAE confusion and decent-ish melee damage.

Cullexus is the strangest : they work with WP but don't generate any, instead they'll suck up your guy's WP when they use some. They can close reinforcement gates in melee, and gain as much armor as they have WP at the end of a turn. They can also silence psykers, which, eh. Other than that they don't seem to do a lot of damage. Seems gimmicky as gently caress, maybe the later powers have more oomph.

As for gear, they regrettably use the same system as the Dreadnought and don't really generate more, so keeping multiple assassins on par with gear is a challenge (esp. since the dread should probably get priority)

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I did one of the new hive missions without knowing anything about it first. The glorious deed was to use no healing, I signed up for that (oops). I restarted the combat mission and wasn’t paying attention - don’t know if this is a new bug or not, but the glorious deed changed when the mission restarted. So, uh, you know - just be aware of that.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Vindicare is ridiculous, especially the pistol. Infinite ammo, good damage and you have a 50% chance of getting an AP if you kill an enemy with it. Also you have a 25% chance to get one AP when you move. The "delete an organic enemy" ability goes down to 9 turn cooldown when levelled up and each kill decreases all his cooldowns by one turn.

not a bot fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 29, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I didn't take Vindicare because I wanted to keep my Purgator around but drat do they look sexy. plus now is the time to experiment and see if there are any hidden combos

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I finally got the drat thing to stop crashing all the time.

Should I be playing a first game on easy like Grey Hunter is doing in the LP?

I'm only a couple of hours in and it's already noticably getting harder. Does it ramp up super-hard?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
It is pretty drat hard. Even coming back to it, Normal is difficult. You really need to pick up the flow of spending all your AP bar 1 moving to ambush a pod, using that last AP to trigger it and refresh your AP, then wiping the whole thing out in one round so you refresh your AP again and get to advance towards the next one (but not trigger it that turn). Spending WP increases the warp surge meter, but so does ending a turn, so for a double refresh like that you can spend WP equivalent to 2 full turns of Warp Surge advance and still come out ahead (as you’ll make that WP back from kills). Can take a while to get your eye in on that loop.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Deptfordx posted:

I'm only a couple of hours in and it's already noticably getting harder. Does it ramp up super-hard?

As long as you turned off the DLC enemies at the start the game isn't that bad. If you didn't things will get real hard.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

This was 50% off all I got it

It gets hard real quick and I am wondering if standard was a mistake. Those pysker dudes are utter nightmares, as well as an armour bypassing attack they can also raise the dead and give everyone three armour!

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I felt like easy was too easy and broke the fundamentals. The game is designed for setting up sick crits and the lower HP on easy made everything get one shot on early levels so you don't actually interact much with them (early game at least).

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

honestly it kinda depends on how often you play tactical games like this. the game does expect you to interact with its systems to overcome challenges. you can't really charge ahead without weighing your options. using the pod discovery -> gaining ap system is the core of the game. warp surges seem bad but most of the effects are more annoying than run ending. so don't overextend yourself and understand when backing off is the right call

that said the game isn't impossible; and your knights get crazy powerful

fake edit: oh and if this is your first run, turn off the dlc units. they are for people who have a run under their belt and understand the various conditions and ai behaviors

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I haven't played since Duty Eternal came out, but based on that, normal with DLC off is fine for a first timer. Basically treat the DLC enemies as bumping up the difficulty level by 1 to 1.5 from whatever you picked.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I like old and new xcom a lot , but so far I haven't found anything else in the genre that works for me. Feels like those games set the bar really high and spoiled everything else. Troubleshooter almost did it, but it bogged down getting both too easy and overcomplicated toward the middle. So, if my baseline is stuff like long war and legendary ironman xcom2 is this game going to pan out?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I heard about the whole "Disable DLC monsters, unless you've got the DLC upgrades", so that's fine. I'll stick with it, I'm not losing missions, just my knights are getting a kicking. Apothecary definitely MVP at moment.

Re: Genre games. If you more enjoy the battlin' than base buildin' and you don't mind a card mechanic, I really liked Gloomhaven and Midnight Sons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

search engine posted:

I like old and new xcom a lot , but so far I haven't found anything else in the genre that works for me. Feels like those games set the bar really high and spoiled everything else. Troubleshooter almost did it, but it bogged down getting both too easy and overcomplicated toward the middle. So, if my baseline is stuff like long war and legendary ironman xcom2 is this game going to pan out?

I would say at higher difficulties this gets a bit like legendary XCOM on the tactical level with the need to clear pods just right, but the strategic game is a fair bit uneven and never lets you stabilise things and proceed at your own pace - you are very much gradually losing control of things even playing perfectly and that's the story of the game.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh, and a game that's pretty much just the tactical battle part of X-Com but i think is brilliant.

Druidstone: Secret of the Menhir Forest.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Alchenar posted:

I would say at higher difficulties this gets a bit like legendary XCOM on the tactical level with the need to clear pods just right, but the strategic game is a fair bit uneven and never lets you stabilise things and proceed at your own pace - you are very much gradually losing control of things even playing perfectly and that's the story of the game.

Yeah you can get to a point where tactically you are basically unstoppable in normal missions but you can never get to a point where you've won or have even really stabilized the strategic layer. It's just about how much you can slow down the bleed so you can make the end game without a game over.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, I heard about the whole "Disable DLC monsters, unless you've got the DLC upgrades", so that's fine. I'll stick with it, I'm not losing missions, just my knights are getting a kicking. Apothecary definitely MVP at moment.

Re: Genre games. If you more enjoy the battlin' than base buildin' and you don't mind a card mechanic, I really liked Gloomhaven and Midnight Sons.

taking wounds doesn't matter. as long as you have 1hp left you're good to go.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

taking wounds doesn't matter. as long as you have 1hp left you're good to go.

Also it's fine to go down to 0 hp, you'll just get a bonus for it. And it's fine for your units to fully die too, since dead ones will provide ability points. the higher level the dead one the more points you get.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

not a bot posted:

Also it's fine to go down to 0 hp, you'll just get a bonus for it. And it's fine for your units to fully die too, since dead ones will provide ability points. the higher level the dead one the more points you get.

oh yeah, the game has several safety nets for bad poo poo happening. unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty all your knights can take wounds and walk it off after a trip to the doctor. I kinda wish communing with the dead was a little easier to get. start with one dude in there from the tutorial battle

this game is a race and you're fighting a desperate losing battle. you can take the midpoint battle at like lvl 5-6. everything after that is getting a second squad running and rushing the research

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

And the optimal path is to beeline research on the main objectives while focusing on the requisition rewards because none of that research matters in the endgame.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Deptfordx posted:

Results vary greatly. I'm at a stage when Hard feels correct to me *most* of the time (I don't roll on everything effortlessly, but it's not frustrating) and then a hell-mission happens and everything goes to absolute poo poo.

So after many frustrating restarts I dialed it back to Normal. I roll over everything effortlessly... and then a hell mission happens and everything still goes to absolute poo poo.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

So after many frustrating restarts I dialed it back to Normal. I roll over everything effortlessly... and then a hell mission happens and everything still goes to absolute poo poo.

What are the hell missions that you're struggling with?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

wins32767 posted:

What are the hell missions that you're struggling with?

Not one in particular.
Last OH gently caress THIS moment was a "defend the servitors" Technovirus one. Turns out letting four pods coalesce onto one station while your split-in-teams-of-two knights deal with the pods attacking the other two stations is not good. Well, it's good actually, it worked fine, just as a million poxwalkers and their 1HP spawns born out of clean, grass-fed guardsmen is pretty much fine, it's just a high action turn.

UNLESS the RNG decides that they get +5 armor. For 2 turns. Each.

Just as they're on top of you and you're about to unleash Hell.

So long story short they (and the further pods because THE SPAWNS KEEP COMING) killed everyone. And the Dread. Then the 3 pods of back-up marines that spawned while the boys were busy sucking their chest wounds or smth killed everyone AGAIN.

Long story shorter : why dont' we have the option to just peace out of missions ?! Surely the Emperor can't protect THAT much.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 31, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
things are going pretty good this run. just finished midpoint mission with Intercessor / Justicar / Callidus / Purgator @ 6 / 5 / 5 / 5. I'm playing on Ruthless / Grandmaster and am at day 159

Callidus ignoring armor with their gun has been a godsend for clearing out models with armor on them. also at lvl 5 the Assassin gets Silent Death where it can insta-kill any non-large model :getin: I do feel like I should play with the techmarine a bit, so maybe they'll go into the B squad

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to speed up your own dudes' moving animations? I know you can speed up enemy movements, but its really time consuming watching my guys slowly run across a giant map when there's no enemies about

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kobal2 posted:

Not one in particular.
Last OH gently caress THIS moment was a "defend the servitors" Technovirus one. Turns out letting four pods coalesce onto one station while your split-in-teams-of-two knights deal with the pods attacking the other two stations is not good. Well, it's good actually, it worked fine, just as a million poxwalkers and their 1HP spawns born out of clean, grass-fed guardsmen is pretty much fine, it's just a high action turn.

UNLESS the RNG decides that they get +5 armor. For 2 turns. Each.

Just as they're on top of you and you're about to unleash Hell.

So long story short they (and the further pods because THE SPAWNS KEEP COMING) killed everyone. And the Dread. Then the 3 pods of back-up marines that spawned while the boys were busy sucking their chest wounds or smth killed everyone AGAIN.

Long story shorter : why dont' we have the option to just peace out of missions ?! Surely the Emperor can't protect THAT much.

The defense missions are relatively new and incredibly hard early on. You actually can peace out though! Source: I was in an Ironman run and had to do exactly that to save my run.

Just let the servitor objective dudes die and you get extracted in failure. Better than a squad wipe.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Got the first DLC story mission (destroy a hive) and yikes. After each turn there is a massive projectile which gives the plagued condition, it's something like 10 x 10 squares in size. Also you don't recover AP when you activate a pod and the enemy starts getting reinforcements from the first turn. You have to destroy 5 hive germs which act like early bloomspawns and the map is pretty large.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I did a boarding mission and got caught off guard by not getting reloaded AP on discovering the first pod. You also don’t reload automatically when you eliminate visible enemies. Looks like they treat you as though you are in combat for the entire map (which does make sense, conceptually).

I did one of those hive missions and didn’t even notice that, but I’m guessing it’s the same. I was too busy worrying about the plague every turn to even think about anything else.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oooo boy just did a tenatrus hive mission and do not take a Techmarine on those. on one hand he soaked up a lot of the bombardments; on the other the servitors died before I could really make much use out of them

it was low difficulty, because I caught it early, and felt like I barely made it out alive. Purgator with Honor of the Chapter and Quicksilver stratagem hard carried me at the end. I didn't take a Interceptor because I wanted to level the Techmarine

overall we're still doing great. it's day 200, got the Dreadnaught and average Knight level is 7. I might try for the sub 500 day cheevo this time

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I think the problem with the newer missions is that you don't get the normal action refresh and reload when you encounter or wipe a pod. there's no unengaged state happening. which kinda kills momentum and makes it easy to overextend

oh what's everyone doing with their Dreads? I went Lascannon / Missile Launcher for pure fire support role

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The assassins feel just right. They're individually very powerful, especially once they're levelled and equipped, but they don't have the same easy snap-together synergy that the Grey Knights do with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we did it fam beat the game at day 476. I never got anymore advanced classes besides a chaplain but the assassins helped fill in gaps. I beat my previous clear by 120ish days. so that felt good

fun game but I do wish the expansions would add other factions to fight. thematically I understand why they don't but maybe some random orks, eldar or other daemons would break up the enemies. maybe X-Com 2's factions like the Lost would work