Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kanos posted:

The low level enemies are really well implemented, IMO. A group of zombies or cultists is something you have to pay attention to, and they can annoy you and present a serious complication if they show up at a bad time or you play badly, but in most cases the basic human enemies are little sacks of willpower/extra turns that you can trivially slaughter en masse.

Yeah, that's my take on it as well. Once you've grokked how the game works, regular & grenz cultists, zombies and bolter CSMs are basically consumable packs unless you've severely hosed up and/or the mission lol'd at you by moving a whole bunch of patrols into you all at once just as you triggered reinforcements. And that's early game only.

Once you've got advanced classes and are starting to roll your way into OP gear they're not even there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014
They're also great at entertainingly being blown off cliffs by your grenades.

Adorable though it is, I will say that they probably should fix whatever's causing the Blight-Hauler to angrily stomp into the path of explosives and destroy its own armour on its first turn.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

All the big guys do that. Helbrutes especially.

I've also had a case where a blight drone I critted careened into a giant gas tank which killed both the blight drone and couple plague marines when it went off.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Psycho Landlord posted:

All the big guys do that. Helbrutes especially.

I've also had a case where a blight drone I critted careened into a giant gas tank which killed both the blight drone and couple plague marines when it went off.

Papa Nurgle giveth, Papa Nurgle taketh away. It's all part of the big cycle, innit ?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's a victory, obviously

<Servitor> If *BLAMMING* a fellow guardsman for morale is cool and good, then perforce *BLAMMING* a planet full of guardsmen is cooler and gooder and will boost morale further. It follows that *BLAMMING* every planet is the coolest and goodest, therefore topping morale infinitely. That's just basic Machine Cult!.
Any observed discrepancy is probably due to an overlooked stack overflow. </S>

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Out of curiosity, can you upgrade your first squad members into the more advanced classes?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Out of curiosity, can you upgrade your first squad members into the more advanced classes?

There's a random event that can pop that respecs one of your guys into a Paladin after a month, I'm not sure if there's similar random events for the other advanced classes.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

grobbo posted:

They also have a lot of people on Steam complaining that as per the lore, all the low-level enemies should just be bouncing harmlessly off your Knights to no effect, which is useful feedback I'm sure the devs are really enjoying.

I'm having a good time with it! I'm mostly running a pair of teleporting Interceptor twins who provide most of the game's fun and do most of the hard work while the Apothecary and Justicar jog awkwardly after them.

Complaints are mostly related to the UI rather than the gameplay (doing anything related to loadout is seriously awkward, auto-pause in windowed mode helps nobody).

There are some obvious opportunities to build out on the limited mission variety and enemy roster without too much scope creep (rescue a charmed diplomat from Slaanesh's influence, escape an 'easy' mission that turns out to be a Tzeentch trap, keep some Imperial Guard alive to prevent them becoming a sacrifice to Khorne) - hopefully they get a chance to do that.

My feeling is that the cover damage reduction should have been cut down (full cover giving -67% and partial giving 33%?) and Power/Terminator armor should give 2/4 pips of armor each, so you can take a single autogun dude's hits out of cover at medium range without health injury at medium range (or in cover) with power armor. But that's just my thought that cover in a game like this should be relatively weaker so to make taking cover a possible tradeoff. Maybe reduce the health of some of the base cultists by 1pt or so so they're instant killable in a wider variety of situations too.

To be fair, the game already encourages not taking cover a lot more than XCOM, what with melee attackers being very powerful and cover often being positioned in inconvenient ways that block off your AoE attacks (which you need to make use of to wipe swarms), but I still think that making cover less important (and making your knights just a tad tankier). The difficulty curve is kinda off IME - I beat XCOM2 Ironman Legendary (having beaten it on Commander blind) and Standard was stressful enough that I restarted on Merciful, which feels significantly more like the difficulty level which should be 'normal.'

Although it does seem like the game might have a case of the Inverse Difficulty Curve so maybe the real issue is that the early game missions need to be toned down a tad.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

MJ12 posted:

There's a random event that can pop that respecs one of your guys into a Paladin after a month, I'm not sure if there's similar random events for the other advanced classes.

I never got this event but I did get one that just gave me a choice of one member from each class, so it seems like there's a few ways.

But generally no, there's no swapping of classes, and the advanced classes supplement but do not supplant the base classes. You still want Justicars for honor the chapter, interceptors for teleport strike, etc.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

I never got this event but I did get one that just gave me a choice of one member from each class, so it seems like there's a few ways.

But generally no, there's no swapping of classes, and the advanced classes supplement but do not supplant the base classes. You still want Justicars for honor the chapter, interceptors for teleport strike, etc.

The choice of one advanced class guy is guaranteed, the Paladin event appears to be a random one that leaves one of your high-level Grey Knights on mission for a month and gets you a shiny Paladin back.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Should I buy regular or castellan edition?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

Save the money unless you really like soundtracks.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
When do the advanced classes show up? I've got a save that's at like 250 days and I haven't seen any mention of them. Is it bugged? I've done the first major plot battle too.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Gaussian posted:

When do the advanced classes show up? I've got a save that's at like 250 days and I haven't seen any mention of them. Is it bugged? I've done the first major plot battle too.

You should get a choice of one free advanced class soon, and once you get that first one they start showing up as possible mission rewards.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

Don't get the Castellan Edition imo, Crowe isn't all that great and his VA is terrible.

Cool lookin sword though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

or alternatively complaining about how it's blasphemy to the lore that the low level enemies in the game can actually harm the invincible Grey Knights.

A just punishment IMO for going with literally the boringest faction in the entire setting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Lone Badger posted:

A just punishment IMO for going with literally the boringest faction in the entire setting.

This game doesn’t star the Ultramarines tho?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

This tbh, the only cool Ultramarine is Titus.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
So what I am hearing is it looks good but wait for optimisation patches. Now I am hanging out bad for Midnight Sons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Grey Knights are Ultramarines but even more ultra. They take the title by a point.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ultramarines are more interesting than the Grey Knights by a mile and a half.

Grey Knights is the faction for people who think poo poo like this is good

Actual 40k lore posted:

Later, in 876.M41, the Bloodtide would return under the command of the Bloodthirster Ka'jagga'nath on the world of Van Horne. This time, it was only halted by the efforts of the Grey Knights, who slaughtered the remaining uncorrupted Sisters of Battle of the Order of the Ebon Chalice and used their innocent blood to form a talisman of purity, ending the rampage of the Bloodtide and Ka'jagga'nath.[3]

They're the edgelord HARD MEN MAKING HARD CHOICES of the Spess Mahrines.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
anyone have a problem at the beginning doing repairs in the manufactorum. The Augmentation Chamber and Augurium are both red in need of repair, yet the repair button is greyed out. What do I do?
e: it works now, idk why

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 10, 2022

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Zore posted:

To be fair, even the chuds thought that was way too extra and people generally quietly pretend that bit of lore doesn't exist

I wonder if the reason they went with Grey Knights is because Games Workshop is ludicrously extra about the 'purity of its IP' and I wouldn't be surprised if they said that if you went with Ultramarines you'd have to make it so that only your high ranked officer characters can be customized, everyone else is a generic mook who gets a bolter and power armor and that's it, or something wack like that. On the other hand, Grey Knights are such a small, super-elite force that 'every character can be customized' a la XCOM might have been easier for Games Workshop to swallow.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TheWeedNumber posted:

anyone have a problem at the beginning doing repairs in the manufactorum. The Augmentation Chamber and Augurium are both red in need of repair, yet the repair button is greyed out. What do I do?

Save and reloading fixed it for me when I had the issue.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Zore posted:

Save and reloading fixed it for me when I had the issue.

yeah that seemed to do it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Zore posted:

Every bit of fluff from that era was completely retconned out of existence with the sole exception of Draigo. The GK are still pretty fuckin boring but nowhere near that BS anymore, and have way, waaaaaaay better people than Ward looking after them now.

Also you definitely get Too Strong in this game lmao (Endgame? Spoilers)

I just one-rounded the great unclean one boss

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Am I missing something about servo-skulls or is their pathing just ridiculously finicky/buggy? Several times now I've wanted to use a medicae servo-skull on a Knight who is well within range according to the overlay, yet the ability refuses to work.

There's just no way that Knight at the bottom there is not a valid target.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Do you have to have an unassigned prognosticar to use stratagems? Restarted a campaign and did the initial research for quicksilver and I can't use it this time despite not realizing I was doing anything different.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

MJ12 posted:

To be fair, even the chuds thought that was way too extra and people generally quietly pretend that bit of lore doesn't exist

I wonder if the reason they went with Grey Knights is because Games Workshop is ludicrously extra about the 'purity of its IP' and I wouldn't be surprised if they said that if you went with Ultramarines you'd have to make it so that only your high ranked officer characters can be customized, everyone else is a generic mook who gets a bolter and power armor and that's it, or something wack like that. On the other hand, Grey Knights are such a small, super-elite force that 'every character can be customized' a la XCOM might have been easier for Games Workshop to swallow.

Dawn of War 2 let you customize all of your homies. Hoping for some sorta reverse Chaos Gate where you play as Alpha Legion but this game looks sick.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

MJ12 posted:

I wonder if the reason they went with Grey Knights is because Games Workshop is ludicrously extra about the 'purity of its IP' and I wouldn't be surprised if they said that if you went with Ultramarines you'd have to make it so that only your high ranked officer characters can be customized, everyone else is a generic mook who gets a bolter and power armor and that's it, or something wack like that.

I mean, this game is the spiritual sequel of a game where you get to gently caress around with Ultramarines...
(that was before the Ward days tho)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mark me down as a nerd that raised an eye brow when the first cultist with an auto gun pumped my grey knight full of lead.

Also this game is hard as gently caress if you don't skill out your guys properly to have a bunch of synergy with each other.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Mark me down as a nerd that raised an eye brow when the first cultist with an auto gun pumped my grey knight full of lead.

The armor was probably made of painted space-egg cartons. Got to pay for that space-yacht somehow.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I assumed every “cultist” doing damage to your knights was supposed to represent a full squad of guys

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

MMAgCh posted:

Am I missing something about servo-skulls or is their pathing just ridiculously finicky/buggy? Several times now I've wanted to use a medicae servo-skull on a Knight who is well within range according to the overlay, yet the ability refuses to work.

There's just no way that Knight at the bottom there is not a valid target.

It is out of range. Height differences do really weird things to the range of abilities.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Buschmaki posted:

Dawn of War 2 let you customize all of your homies.

Dawn of War 2 was the one that spawned the Bloody Magpies meme because of all the "gifted" relics you can collect, isn't it? Yeah I don't think it was very canon for space marines to casually wield Custodes and iirc even Primarch gear.

quote:

Hoping for some sorta reverse Chaos Gate where you play as Alpha Legion but this game looks sick.

Alpha Legion would be fun but Black Legion would be best for such a game because your team can have one Thousand Sons sorcerer, one Word Bearer summoner, one World Eater berserker, etc. etc. Basically the Khayon books in game form.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Those are better than Grey Knights but give me Orks or Kroot or Newcrons or something.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Also this game is hard as gently caress if you don't skill out your guys properly to have a bunch of synergy with each other.

Hey now, a 3+ armor save means 1 out of every 3 hits still hurts. Getting your fancy marines in power armour blown to poo poo by a bunch of guardsmen with their lovely flashlights is a time-honoured rite of passage. :colbert:

Anyway, my main complaint about picking the Grey Knights for this game is that their aesthetics are kind of shitass. It's like the concept artists started adding details and then never loving stopped. Everything is overfilled and overdesigned with no regard for visual balance or use of negative space. Even if your design goal is "bombastic overwrought neo-gothic", the Sororitas do the same gimmick much better.

Game's still good tho.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pirate Radar posted:

I assumed every “cultist” doing damage to your knights was supposed to represent a full squad of guys

Basically this. The same way that top secret Advent facilities are guarded by 20-ish dudes.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

BadLlama posted:

The game has a very bad case of inverse difficulty curve, to the point where Merciful is legitimately challenging to veterans of higher XCOM1 and XCOM2 difficulties, but once you start getting the advanced classes and unlocking some of the real bullshit tools the game gets way, way easier. There are some completely bullshit things on offer, like the grenades that add a fuckton to an enemy's stun counter, or the grenades that not only do damage but also Frenzy every single enemy they hit so they helpfully kill themselves off next turn for you. And unlike XCOM2, you can end up with an absolute assload of grenades.

Purifiers (and I believe Purgators) can spawn with a +1 grenade ammo special trait, which means if you grenade spec them they can end up carrying 8 grenades into the fray - and they can get AP back if you get a multikill with an ammo-using weapon (like grenades). At some point it basically becomes 'when in doubt, frag it out' - and I imagine if I get tier 3 frag grenades or similar things will get even more nonsense.

(I really, really want to try an all grenades all the time mission where I just take 4 Purgators with 6 or 8 grenades each and bomb every single pod back to the stone age)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm glad to hear most of the negative reviews aren't about the game mechanics. How varied are the maps? That was something that got me tired of Mechanics.