Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
This is 25% off on Steam at the moment. Goonsensus seems to be it's pretty good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zephro posted:

This is 25% off on Steam at the moment. Goonsensus seems to be it's pretty good, right?

Yes, if you like X-Com like games with a twist.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I thought it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed my time with it. It was worth the full price i paid for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zephro posted:

It's an extremely competent XCOM-like with its own take on a lot of mechanics.

It's not 100% perfect and definitely has some warts, but it's a very good game overall.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I completed a grand master campaign on release. been waiting for dlc to play again. was a super fun time

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
How heavy-handed were the later changes/nerfs that made it harder to skip ahead to a mission's objective and essentially insta-complete it without ever really fighting anybody? I finished the game shortly before those were implemented, but given how samey the non-story missions tended to be I think I really wouldn't have liked the idea of having to spend more time on them.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

How heavy-handed were the later changes/nerfs that made it harder to skip ahead to a mission's objective and essentially insta-complete it without ever really fighting anybody? I finished the game shortly before those were implemented, but given how samey the non-story missions tended to be I think I really wouldn't have liked the idea of having to spend more time on them.

I finished my campaign after those changes and they were fine. like missions didn't take that long and you got juiced up enough that you could insta-wipe groups

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MMAgCh posted:

I played after those changes. I started to get bored by the end but not too far from the end, which again mirrors my xcom experience

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Any advice for builds and the like or that is really unnecessary?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Things that give you more actions are good, and anything that lets you teleport.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, I finally beat Chaos Gate (1998).

To give you an idea of how long I spent on the game, GOG Galaxy recorded my total playtime as being 46 hours, and I started playing the game about four years ago. My playtime is probably inflated partly because I had to restart a couple of missions because they would glitch out and wouldn't end once I had finished everything (from what I can tell, it may sometimes be an issue with a single CSM hiding away in some small corner of the map).

The other reason is because I save-scummed a lot to try and preserve my marines. I had a Marine die right before the end of Mission 12, but I just decided to roll with it instead of reloading a few turns before. I lost another marine during Mission 13 (I think because they got hit with a Flamer, and I couldn't do anything with them for a few turns), though after Mission 14, I think a new marine spawned in my ranks. I was playing on Easy skill, so I wonder if they give you a new marine after you complete a certain number of missions on Easy.

For the last mission (Mission 15), I started accepting marines deaths more because I thought I could brute force my way through to the end. The good news is that it worked. The bad news is that of the twenty marines I sent in, only seven survived. I lost the entire Assault squad, four of the five Terminators, a Devestator, the Apothecary, the Librarian, and the Chaplain. How I won was by having the Librarian open a portal to get the Captain closer to the final section, then having the Captain run over to the Chaos Lord, and then toss the one Vortex grenade I had to insta-kill him.

Something that I noticed when I watched some videos of other people playing through the game (which are harder to find now because of Daemonhunters) is that side-mission rewards seem to be based off of what difficulty you play, because they were playing on higher difficulties, and were finding better items from crates.

I think Chaos Gate '98 is an okay game, but it's something I feel like I never want to play again, because it felt like it took forever to finish. Some of that is my fault, because I dropped it for long periods of time, but missions tend to take like a hour or more to finish, there's a lot of waiting for enemies to move, CSMs are bolt-sponges, and as good as the music is, it begins to get a bit grating after you've heard the same two tracks loop a dozen times during a single misson.

Still, I'd like to play Daemonhunters, which I plan to pick up at some point.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Olanphonia posted:

Any advice for builds and the like or that is really unnecessary?

Either go all in on stuns on your entire team ; or don't bother at all.

Having a source of at-will crits (either ranged, or teleport+melee) on your teams at all times is essential.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New expansion just announced, which includes a Techmarine, Dreadnought, and new mission types. It launches alongside a free enemy roster update as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5lZt1Hx30c
Best of all is that the devs confirmed it'll work with ongoing campaigns, because while I think I'm still earlyish at 10 hours, that's also far enough in that I wouldn't want to restart. Comes December 6.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mordja posted:

Dreadnought

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SURF.

gently caress YES gently caress YES gently caress YES.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I really enjoyed playing, and this looks like a great reason to hop back in. Don’t see a price on the steam page, but an article I read said it’s $15. If that’s true, easy day 1 purchase for me.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

And soon! Awesome :allears:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I assume there'll be a christmas sale for the base game as well so if the DLC is just integrated into the campaign I might grab it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Awesome! I petered out on my hard run because I had played normal basically non stop for a week, but I think enough time has passed that the extra variety can lead me through.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The Dreadnought looks nice, but presumably it will require a "dead" Astartes to use? I never once had a Knight go down often enough to get him killed (and so never got to see the respec system in use either).

Edit: or I could just read the announcement on Steam. :downs:

quote:

Fallen Grey Knights can take up the mantle of Dreadnought pilot and fight on in the name of the Emperor.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 22, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

NmareBfly posted:

Awesome! I petered out on my hard run because I had played normal basically non stop for a week, but I think enough time has passed that the extra variety can lead me through.

This is true for me for the most part but I also stopped because I only had one Interceptor that was perpetually wounded and I felt like I was never ready for the craftworld mission.

MMAgCh posted:

The Dreadnought looks nice, but presumably it will require a "dead" Astartes to use? I never once had a Knight go down often enough to get him killed (and so never got to see the respec system in use either).

Edit: or I could just read the announcement on Steam. :downs:

Killing a Grey Knight in this game is genuinely hard. I even tried to do it on purpose but they can go down so many times it takes like 5 missions to do it, even on hard. I think I gave up after a while and never killed one for real.

I also barely used bionics but the few I did see ranged from "Extra exp? That's not that great" to "This one gave my guy extra armor and life?! That crazy."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They said in the comments that it'll come with a pilot, no need to get one of your dudes killed.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I just finished my first play-through. I'm looking forward to the DLC now. Dreadnought is the one thing I felt was really missing.

The Librarian was easily the MVP of my campaign. The ability to teleport the entire squad into melee range was extremely powerful. Unlimited range smite was very useful too. I took a Librarian with sacred incense on almost every mission after I got him.

Paladin and Chaplain were also great, but I thought the Purifier was disappointing. Grenades + melee crits seemed like the best trees for Purifiers, but I still found them lackluster. Did other people have different opinions about them?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I feel like you can just have 2 interceptors run a crit train on everyone while having a librarian for teleport support and a justicar to feed them even more AP. Anything else is unnecessary/harder to use. They need to expand the squad size to actually fit in some of these other classes.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

I feel like you can just have 2 interceptors run a crit train on everyone while having a librarian for teleport support and a justicar to feed them even more AP. Anything else is unnecessary/harder to use. They need to expand the squad size to actually fit in some of these other classes.

why wouldn't you just take more interceptors? I don't see how more slots is going to encourage you to diversify if you already feel like the others aren't optimal

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I only ran one interceptor in a squad, and even then sometimes not at all, and I never felt particularly underpowered.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Paladin and Chaplain were also great, but I thought the Purifier was disappointing. Grenades + melee crits seemed like the best trees for Purifiers, but I still found them lackluster. Did other people have different opinions about them?
They are pretty fun when fully specced for flamer use. Probably not an optimal choice, but fun to run. BURN AND PURGE :black101:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

why wouldn't you just take more interceptors? I don't see how more slots is going to encourage you to diversify if you already feel like the others aren't optimal

Well larger squad size + design missions where a single target teleporting melee monster is not sufficient for the job. Like maybe encounters that require a ton of AOE or something.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I found a purgator with a good sanctified kill zone matches super well with a purifier. Drop a zone on a large group and just melt the whole bunch at once.

Actually, sanctified kill zone is a really powerful ability

E: a really big boom is finding a flamer with +damage to certain enemies and bringing the purifier for missions with those enemies. I had one with I think +2 or 3 damage to mortal targets with base damage 4. So with the kill zone it was doing 8+ damage every attack in a huge cone

Olanphonia fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 25, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Purifier has a nice skill that gives a stacking+dmg buff everytime it uses a psychic power (including psy attacks), it's pretty fun to build around.

Everything works in standard, legendary can get pretty back breaking at times.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So picked the game up in sale, haven't played it yet. Planning to start.

I see the DLC is released today.

Should I do a vanilla run through, then pick the DLC up later for a second playthrough or just do everything at once.

I see it adds a second ship and new options etc. Which sound great, but I was thinking it all might be a bit much for a first run.

Thoughts?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
As you say, it sounds like it's an Xcom style expansion where it just integrates into the main game but since it's just come out or about to come out, nobody will probably be able to give you a great answer about how overwhelming it may or may not be for a bit. Or even how good it actually is.

Personally I've always thought I'd quite like to have all the expansions for one of these sorts of games for a first playthrough, I just like the Xcoms to much to not buy them when they come out but with this I got it on sale a few weeks back so I might get it for the initial playthrough I haven't started yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’ll be interested to hear reports on Duty Eternal. I got through the first dlc mission on Ruthless, which is enough to get Technophage missions to start showing up but not enough for the Dreadnought to join you properly. Tackling Technophage missions without him feels like a loving death trap based on the one I tried that ended my first run (Grandmaster).

Technophage Plague Marines have armor pierce and strip coming out of every orifice.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Apparently the Dreadnought is only usable in the Technophage DLC missions, so a small portion of the overall game. The Steam reviews are not happy about that, currently at "mostly negative".

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Double Bill posted:

Apparently the Dreadnought is only usable in the Technophage DLC missions, so a small portion of the overall game. The Steam reviews are not happy about that, currently at "mostly negative".
Ooof, not sure how the developers thought that this fact would be well recieved?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It was an insanely bad idea not to be upfront about that fact. But it plays pretty well in practice. Technophage missions are very hard and the Dreadnought is A) grotesquely overpowered and B) would have pathing problems in a lot of normal maps due to its size.

You use the Dread in Technophage missions because you need the Dread in Technophage missions.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dreadnoughts needing plenty of beauty sleep is canonical, you don't wake them up just to shoot a few cultists. :colbert:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Any opinion on the Techmarine ? So far I've found him pretty underwhelming, not quite sure how to use him (beyond his ability to keep the dread healed up)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It was definitely a very bad idea to plaster "look you can use a dreadnought in this DLC!" all over the ad copy and release a new class reveal trailer for it alongside the techmarine when in practice it's a set piece.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Any opinion on the Techmarine ? So far I've found him pretty underwhelming, not quite sure how to use him (beyond his ability to keep the dread healed up)

Use the Plasma Servitors massive knockback to corner pocket idiots into pits all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Man, y'all weren't joking about the Technophage missions being tuned up. Double packs of 5 marines, including 2 meltas (with krak grenades) day 100 while I'm still on generic equipment, cool, cool, cool cool cool cool cool.

Am I just... not supposed to touch those ever, or... ?