Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is a turn-based strategy game set in the popular Warhammer 40,000 universe, developed by new studio Complex Games and published by Frontier Foundry.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1611910/Warhammer_40000_Chaos_Gate__Daemonhunters/

https://i.imgur.com/cS4PKdA.mp4

What is it? What does it play like?

Daemonhunters has you playing as the Grey Knights, anti-Chaos space marines, in a campaign to uncover the nature of a mysterious new plague being spread by the minions of the plague god Nurgle. Gameplay wise, it is a turn based strategy game with a persistent strategic map. On the strategic map, you'll choose what missions to do, research upgrades, talk to your NPC buddies, and configure your squads before dropping into the turn-based missions themselves, where you'll shoot and burn heretics with your squad of Grey Knight space marines. It's very heavily inspired by Firaxis's XCOM series, but with its own twists.

https://i.imgur.com/KcOalHr.mp4

Okay, so how does it differ from XCOM?
  • No hit chance RNG: All attacks will hit 100% of the time - there's no "I put my shotgun in the alien's mouth and have a 40% chance to hit because my guy's a stupid rookie" problems here. Attacks are mitigated by positioning, cover, armor, and distance rather than random chance.
  • Huge numbers of enemies: Enemy groups can range from small squads of elite enemies like plague marines to huge groups of 6-10 plague zombies or cultists, and you will frequently engage multiple groups at once or be forced into holdout situations where you have to deal with enemy reinforcements appearing on a constant basis.
  • Small squad, but huge power: You're limited to only four marines per deployment, but each marine takes multiple actions per turn and you're blessed with a plethora of devastating skills and equipment options to make handling the huge army of enemies possible.
  • Heavy emphasis on aggression and melee: Every Grey Knight, no matter the class, is a devastating melee combatant, and much of your fighting in this game will be done up close. There is a heavy incentive to play very aggressively and utilize your powerful melee options to clear enemies quickly to avoid being overwhelmed - simply hiding behind cover and plinking your enemies to death with gunfire will almost never be sufficient on its own and will likely lead to your doom.
  • Usage of the environment: Every map is littered with objects that can be leveraged against your enemies. Besides the standard "shoot an exploding object to make it explode" things like ammo crates and such, you also get the option to shoulder check pillars to drop them on your enemies, blast steam pipes to scald the heretics to death, or shoot statues to tip them down on your foes, among others. Clever use of the environment can turn a difficult encounter into a much easier one, and it's also cool as gently caress.

Reviews:

PC Gamer: 87/100
Rock Paper Shotgun: "Daemonhunters is the absolute business"
Eurogamer: "one of the grandest XCOM homages in years"

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Reserved in case.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I didn't seem to run into too much of a seed shortage without hammerhand, but I'm pretty fanatical about aggressive melee pushes and stunning enemies(which allows an autocrit).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Alamoduh posted:

I think the stun meter has to be depleted- it’s the number on the skull when you mouse over an enemy. There’s a bunch of explanations of mechanics/statuses in the settings tab for some reason.

Crits can happen without stuns. A stun just allows a guaranteed crit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The psilencer's force boost is disruptive fire, which allows you to break suppression and overwatch at 14 range base in one action without spending grenades or having to get a guy into melee. This is incredibly useful, especially on the higher difficulties where boosted enemy HP means it's frequently impossible to kill a stubber cultist or plague marine in one action.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

neonchameleon posted:

I'm finding Justicars ridiculously good all rounders - psy cannons, terminator armour, melee weapons, and a hand out action points buff is everything I wanted. And with the cannon having an AoE I don't need frag grenades so much and I'm just not seeing much point in the purgator. (I also got my medic benched early and don't seem to feel the lack of one when set against a whole lot of extra firepower).

Question about my favourite class - the Interceptor can get a Psilencer as a weapon from a skill - but on the Purgator that's a two handed weapon and thus takes away all their melee, while my Justicar can melee with a psy cannon. Would my interceptor be unable to melee if they had a psilencer?

You can still melee with a two handed weapon, your melee just becomes a shoulder check which does...2 or 3 damage, IIRC, I forget which.

I haven't done it personally, but I suppose but the theoretical use case for a psilencer interceptor is having an incredibly powerful cone attack on someone who can teleport.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Popete posted:

So is this legit good? Looks neat but gamers seem to be very upset about Twitch drops so the Steam reviews are "mixed".

A good half of the negative reviews are either people absolutely FURIOUS that the developers had the temerity to use twitch drops to promote the game(which the devs have responded to by saying "oh, okay, we'll just put all the twitch drops in a patch this month for everyone") or alternatively complaining about how it's blasphemy to the lore that the low level enemies in the game can actually harm the invincible Grey Knights.

ZeusJupitar posted:

Having to worry about normal humans with AK's does rather clash with the power fantasy, especially when the story keeps empathising that the apocalyptic zombie plague is barely worth a company of knight's attention.

I can see why they did it though, as going straight to Chaos Marines/Daemons would reduce the sense of escalation over the campaign.

The low level enemies are really well implemented, IMO. A group of zombies or cultists is something you have to pay attention to, and they can annoy you and present a serious complication if they show up at a bad time or you play badly, but in most cases the basic human enemies are little sacks of willpower/extra turns that you can trivially slaughter en masse.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 9, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MJ12 posted:

I do think they should have buffed baseline Knight durability/armor and made cover worse but honestly Knights aren't that fragile and you can operate in the open fine, it's not XCOM

Buffing baseline knight durability and making cover worse would also have necessitated buffing every enemy that can use cover in the game to reach the same level of balance, because the majority of the time cover benefits your enemies far more than it benefits you. It's very rarely in your interests to hunker behind cover and plink away so you generally are constantly pushing into exposed positions, while the AI can sit behind cover all day and doesn't care about injuries/losses.

MJ12 posted:

My understanding of the True Mastery achievement is that it requires a Knight to have every single skill but the upgrade nodes don't count as skills.

It's this. That achievement is stupid because you have to make basically a worthless character for it, since a lot of skills suck rear end without their upgrades and if you're going for all skills you basically can't really get upgrades beyond the prerequisites.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, if I want to unlock armory slots do I need to save my requisitions for the next Kai report?

Yes. If you want to upgrade your post mission loot choices you need to bank requisition for the grandmaster reports, which usually means being conservative about taking loot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I never beat Ironman Legendary, just commander a few times in both games, and I jumped into Daemonhunters on Ruthless without too much difficulty - I found the early game to be hard, but not really notably harder than any XCOM game is at the beginning.

I think it honestly might be that someone who has played enough XCOM to clear Ironman Legendary has more ingrained play patterns to iron out that are incompatible with how Daemonhunters works. Conservative plays that would be the optimal choice in XCOM or XCOM 2 are kind of crap here, this game heavily rewards YOLO plays and berserk aggression once you understand how executions work.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 11, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

I'm about 120ish days into the campaign and I basically just field a full team of Justicars. Not sure why I'd want any other class...

They are tanky as hell with all that armor and can give eachother constant AP so they deal tons of damage

Interceptors can teleport(twice in one turn, if you're willing to blow a ton of WP on teleport strike), which is the most powerful movement ability in the game. Purgators can carry so many super-boosted grenades that they can do entire missions just lobbing bombs and never having to use their incredibly powerful guns. I guess Apothecaries are kind of trash.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

If you install the sarcophagus and lose knights, those knight can then be communed with for extra skill points for a living knight.

It is possible to get all 36 points necessary to get everything via this method, though obviously wasteful.

:psyduck:

I've gone out of my way to avoid losing knights so I had no idea this even existed. There's also that whole augmetics system I've never interacted with or have any idea how it works.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Deploying marines with light injuries is basically a non-factor, -3 HP is effectively nothing. Even heavy injuries aren't really a problem once you have some +HP armor to pass around.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BadLlama posted:

What is the threshold for your bros to be considered hurt? I've taken damage and come back just fine.

It seems to be a range. The more damage you come back with, the higher a chance of you being injured, and the higher chance of it being severe. You can take some light damage and come back and not be injured at all, or take a light injury, or you can take half your HP bar and come back and be either severely injured, lightly injured, or in very rare cases totally fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

How much of a respec/bonus skill points do you get for a dead knight? Is it based on the dead knight's level?

Taking notes for a theoretical future apothecary grinder.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

The respec is just a flat respec, you get all your points back and reassign them, including any points you got via communion.

The bonus points appear to be based on the level of the knight getting communed with, but I only did it once with a rank 4 or so guy and got 4 points iirc, so it's not insubstantial.

My second and third apothecary just began sweating very nervously.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, the problem isn't that apothecary is a support class. Justicar is a support class and is brutally powerful, with the ability to hand out entire turns to allies, the ability to forcibly taunt enemies out of cover positions to run to their deaths, etc. Librarian is a support class with the ability to drop giant AoE stuns and teleport the entire squad. Good support abilities are the secret sauce that makes your squad a murder engine in this game; the problem is that apothecary's support options suck.

Not only is healing kind of weak, the other options the class offers are very whatever. Its two signature debuffs are bleed, which is completely useless beyond the extreme early game, and hobbled/immobilized, which are situationally useful but niche. The biomancy buffs are okay but are extremely hosed over by being on the left end of the tree while the option to actually make them ranged is on the far right end, meaning you can't actually start using them effectively until you've got a relatively high level apothecary.

The best use for the class I've seen is as a servo skull caddy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

bamhand posted:

How do you get Crowe if you bought the waste your money edition? I started with the bonus hammer in my inventory but don't see the bonus character anywhere.

I don't own the fancy edition but IIRC I remember reading that you need to advance the plot for him to join. I'd bet he probably joins around the time you get advanced classes, so after the first major story mission.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The +1 WP per attack maximum cap is a huge nerf. :smith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That Justicar nerf alone is going to completely change the game flow.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They absolutely should provide respecs when they do big ol' balance tweaks. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

What the hell? If anything, the apothecary heal needed to be dropped down to 1 WP from 2. A range 1 heal that requires you to equip a very lovely weapon is already terrible, especially since medicae skulls exist.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's some exceptions, like the super stun stormbolter is T1 and extremely sweet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That build might be viable now that Honor the Chapter got nerfed from "gamebreaking action economy button" to "expensive but extremely powerful utility button that you can only use like twice per mission".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A lot of the random events are tuned to be incredibly brutally harsh and it's weird. Like "you picked the wrong dialogue option so now your research is locked out for 30 days, hee hee" never feels great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Oh cool, a Chaos Gate Daemonhunters thread.

I haven't picked up Daemonhunters yet, but I've been playing the original Chaos Gate on-and-off for a while now. Has anyone here played through it?

I played shitloads of Chaos Gate and one of the primary reasons Daemonhunters initially interested me instead of being added to the pile of 40k games that my mind usually skips over is the usage of the Chaos Gate moniker.

I love it but running it on modern systems is a gigantic pain in the rear end and even the GOG version doesn't really fix the problem without a lot of painful tweaking.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

bamhand posted:

Only half of the classes are worth using anyways.

I think the only class I'd consider to not be incredibly good in some way is Apothecary, because healing is a bad niche and its support abilities aren't good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zephro posted:

This is 25% off on Steam at the moment. Goonsensus seems to be it's pretty good, right?

It's an extremely competent XCOM-like with its own take on a lot of mechanics.

It's not 100% perfect and definitely has some warts, but it's a very good game overall.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I only ran one interceptor in a squad, and even then sometimes not at all, and I never felt particularly underpowered.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It was definitely a very bad idea to plaster "look you can use a dreadnought in this DLC!" all over the ad copy and release a new class reveal trailer for it alongside the techmarine when in practice it's a set piece.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't really like how the DLC is structured for the game, where they drop in a shitload of new enemies and wrinkles as free updates but restrict all of the new toys to help you deal with the new enemies and wrinkles to the paid part of the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I haven't played since Duty Eternal came out, but based on that, normal with DLC off is fine for a first timer. Basically treat the DLC enemies as bumping up the difficulty level by 1 to 1.5 from whatever you picked.