Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Another patch today that changes the balance.

quote:

Ave Imperator, Force Commanders.

A new update has been released by the Omnissiah to address a number of issues.

Corrupted saves in a Flowering mission
A fix has been added to resolve an issue where some players could experience corrupted saves during Flowering missions. We believe we have addressed this however if you do continue to experience these issues please let us know as soon as you can by reporting the issue on our Issue Tracker.

Balancing Changes
We have adjusted some of the recent balancing changes based on player feedback. A summary of these changes is included below:

Psychic Shriek:
Changed from single targeting to area of effect.
Reduced the ability's area of effect from 3 to 1.

Destroyer of Crys’yllix:
Restored the original Force Strike stun values (+1 Stun base / +2 Stun upgrade).
The seed cost of upgrade changed from 6 to 4 Dolorus seeds for increased damage and from 4 to 6 Mortus seeds for stun increase.

Empyrean Brain Mine
Restored the stun values of tier 1 from 2 to 3.
Stun values of tier 2 and 3 have been boosted.

Thank you for your reports and feedback. We will continue to investigate all reports sent to us and review your suggestions.

Praise the Emperor.

I also want to thank this thread for getting me to realize standing back and shooting doesn't work. I need to get as close as I can and punch things in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I was on team "This game is stupid hard even on normal" until my guys got a few levels and I stopped playing so defensive and conservative. Once I got my guys out of cover and getting in enemy's taces the game became much easier, although still challenging at times.

Basically if you play this game like XCOM you'll have a bad time.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

When I started the only time I could field someone who wasn't injured was if I just recruited them. Hell, my Justicar went on every mission regardless of his injuries until Kai took him for a mission. That dude had -6 health for months while tanking so much damage. Now that he has his +6 armor Terminator suit and a fully upgraded Aegis he just tanks everything to the face while laughing.

That being said it is SUPER important to have backups for your main dudes because they are the likely ones to go if you send knights on a side mission. They also take all of their gear with them which can really hamstring you. You don't need enough to outfit all of your knights but try to have enough to outfit 2 teams.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

It should be mentioned that when you are under Overwatch or Suppression you can use Aegis, servo skulls, teleport, or reload without triggering it. I'm pretty anything else ends with your guy getting shot.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

This game can really surprise me. I was rolling through things on Normal, trying out the new Paladin I got from the ranged Interceptor I bought (lol) after equipping a stun halberd on him thinking things were pretty much solved. I lost him to a random event later but it wasn't like it was hard before him. Fought my second boss and because the game doesn't really show you what's going to happen I lost 2 dudes instantly. My Purgator was the MVP with his +8 Psycannon but it still kinda shocked me.

Progressed from there and started a mission with the challenge of "No Critical Hits" and I cannot fathom how to do that.

The missions can get samey but I learned early on to have a couple of each class in case of bullshit. Even then I've only had 1 Librarian, 1 Paladin only recently, and I think 1 Chaplain I didn't buy from a mission reward. I have Crowe but I feel I shouldn't judge Purifiers based on him. I feel advanced classes are too rare or at the very least should be purchasable in the barracks.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

MJ12 posted:

Note the wording on that challenge. It doesn't say "win the mission without inflicting critical hits," it says "you will not inflict critical hits." It sets your critical chance to 0, even for guaranteed crit abilities (making them kinda useless in that sort of mission). You can't fail it without failing the mission.

That makes more sense and is more doable I guess.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I wish. How are people getting that many advanced classes?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Oh so you can have a female marine?

We need more Sister of Battle in 40k games. Just a legion of women purging everything with more fire than the sun and chainswords bigger than them. Hell, give us the pipe organ that doubles as mobile artillery.

I know Grey Knights have a bad history with Sisters but that has been retconned.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I wish there was a way to get augmetics that didn't involve critically wounding a knight then praying. My go to Interceptor was critically wounded and wound up with an augment that gives him a base +1 armor, and even though that isn't broken its nice to have and I would like to add things to my other knights. I would like to choose as well since some are useless, like +25% xp.

It seems like the mechanics around dead or critically wounded knights are not well thought out. Hell, trying to kill a knight for real on Normal is hard, although I haven't tried blowing them off the map with a grenade. Whenever an enemy did that my guy just climbed out after taking damage. Without doing that it takes at least 6 maps with them going down twice and then more time to allow them to heal enough to go on another mission.

Edit: On Normal at least knocking your guy off a cliff with a grenade only critically wounds them so you still need to wait a long rear end time and actively try to kill one of your knights. Critical wounds still isn't good early game since they are out of commission for a long time and you probably don't have the augmetics upgrade.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 26, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I thought it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed my time with it. It was worth the full price i paid for it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Awesome! I petered out on my hard run because I had played normal basically non stop for a week, but I think enough time has passed that the extra variety can lead me through.

This is true for me for the most part but I also stopped because I only had one Interceptor that was perpetually wounded and I felt like I was never ready for the craftworld mission.

MMAgCh posted:

The Dreadnought looks nice, but presumably it will require a "dead" Astartes to use? I never once had a Knight go down often enough to get him killed (and so never got to see the respec system in use either).

Edit: or I could just read the announcement on Steam. :downs:

Killing a Grey Knight in this game is genuinely hard. I even tried to do it on purpose but they can go down so many times it takes like 5 missions to do it, even on hard. I think I gave up after a while and never killed one for real.

I also barely used bionics but the few I did see ranged from "Extra exp? That's not that great" to "This one gave my guy extra armor and life?! That crazy."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I would say adding in the new enemies that do permanent armor damage made the game harder. When I came back to a mid campaign save after the updates I found myself struggling a lot more on missions. It started to feel like every mission was a slog, even on Normal with a team of fully upgraded knights with end level gear.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Popete posted:

Is the dreadnought expansion worth getting? I read it added some really difficult encounters or something.

I never played the Dreadnought missions but the extra enemies it added made the game harder on my normal playthrough I came back to after the update during regualr missions. You'll regularly encounter enemies that burn your armor and that sucks.

Edit: I'm pretty sure they increased the number of mitations that can happen during a mission and added some new mutations into the mix. I remember thinking some are straight bullshit but I can't remember which ones.

Basically they have been buffing the enemy and mostly nerfing the player.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 18, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

So I finally got the drat thing to stop crashing all the time.

Should I be playing a first game on easy like Grey Hunter is doing in the LP?

I'm only a couple of hours in and it's already noticably getting harder. Does it ramp up super-hard?

As long as you turned off the DLC enemies at the start the game isn't that bad. If you didn't things will get real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

if you want to slow the game down there's a research that should have opened up. there's no time pressure to actually unlock it but once you do unlock it there is a time pressure to finish the game

Is that the research that unlocks the different strains? I always gently caress that up because I have weapons that are good but being able to unlock their upgrades makes them machines of death.