Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
While I support Grandmaster Kai's efforts to regularly dunk on the inquisitor, I wish he wasn't so passive-aggressive towards the player. During a report I tried to not lay blame on anyone and focus on the campaign and barred me from accessing the armoury for 60 days. What a loving dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Cynic Jester posted:

Am I missing something or is the Psilencers completely worthless compared to the Psycannon? The Psycannon kills entire pods in one use of it's ability, whereas the Psilencers doesn't go through cover and only has 7 range, making it only useful for sniping with regular shots, which is a use case I never find myself wanting.

The psilencer has 14 range, not 7, and it has more base ammo than the psycannon. What really tells them apart is their associated skills, being able to ignore partial cover, even more range and more crit chance is huge. Also the 'support fire' passive is really good. If you find a psilencer with armor piercing, it becomes an amazing damage dealer. At rank 1, I agree that a psycannon is probably better just for the AoE effect though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Cynic Jester posted:

The psilencer aoe has range 7. The single target range hasn't been very relevant, as the number of times i fire single shots is pretty minimal.

Thought you were talking about the normal gun range. I don't value the psilencer's aoe attack at all because it does friendly fire, which makes it very difficult to use without hurting your own team.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pierson posted:

lets loving gooooooooo

Does the ability to unlock the weapon/armor perks come through the plot or something? I could swear I've mouse-overed every ship upgrade and haven't noticed anything about an armorer.

Yes, after completing the plot mission mentioned above, at some point a ship event will trigger unlocking the upgrade system

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Killing plague terminators is incredibly satisfying.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Psycho Landlord posted:

Lmao Librarians and Paladins are absurd

Think my "gently caress this place" comp is gonna be those two plus a termie apothecary for general support and a termie justicar to hand out AP and opportunistically execute poo poo the librarian stuns

Throw in a chaplain with the litany that gives more AP per execution and enjoy. Librarians are incredibly busted, btw.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just finished this.

Took me about 42 hours for a run on normal or whatever that difficulty was called. Overall I think I'm a big fan!

I'm jealous, still got some bosses left to clear before the end, this game is so unexpectedly massive.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Dumb question, are master crafted items randomly generated or is each item unique?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

welp looks like my 3rd Apothecary is getting the axe

You mean a friendly grenade near a cliff.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

RC01214 posted:

Angry Lobster posted:

You mean a friendly grenade near a cliff.

Not sure if this is :thejoke:, but the couple of times my dudes got blown off a cliff by something, they just climb back up from a nearby edge while losing a bit of hp.

Pretty good qol feature, imo. It would kinda suck to lose a high xp knight to a random grenade while he is still near full hp.

Nah, I had no idea :(

Welp, so much for my cool suicidal knight, I guess I'm gonna feed a lovely dude to an enemy pack the normal way to put him on the sarcophagus.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

In a week? :wtc:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
There patch also introduced some stealth nerfs, there are the ones I've noticed:

Justicar

Honour the Chapter. The base skill now costs 2 WP, and the upgrade for +1 AP also costs +1 WP, warp charge remains the same. Total cost for a full Honour the Chapter with warp change: 5 WP.

Librarian.

Schriek is now single target only.

Gate of Infinity. The basic skill now costs 2 WP. Warp charge cost +3 WP, for a total of 5 WP. Range has been buffed though, now base range is 15, and the upgrade adds +5, for a total of 20 (previously it was 14 range).

Not totally unexpected nerfs but they are still massive changes.

Maybe we have to learn to actually play the game now, or just use the paladin and chaplain's abilities to transfer WPs and treat them as batteries.

E: The apothecary iron arm biomancy ability used to cost 3 WP or this has been changed as well?

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 13, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
More stealth nerfs:

*Apothecary:

-Heal skill now costs 3 WP (previously 2).
-Warp speed biomancy now costs 2 WP.
-Iron arm biomancy now costs 3 WP (previously 1).

*Psycannon psychic onslaught ability now uses 2 ammo per shot.

*Enemies on higher difficulties are now more difficult to stun (allegedly, I haven't been able to test this one).

While I agree with the justicar and librarian changes, I think hitting the apothecary with the nerf bat so much is uncalled for, he wasn't exactly a top tier class. Also it would have been nice if the less powerful classes received some kind of minor buff.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kobal2 posted:

Fun fact : the libarian has the same power.
Except it's not range limited.

He's talking about Fury of the Ancients, not Smite.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pierson posted:

I think what happens is when the corruption on a planet is high enough it triggers a big mission where you have to destroy a chaos gate and if enough gates are left standing the game ends. I don't know for sure but the way the Inquisitor was talking and the cutscene that was playing gave a pretty big "this is the death timer, do something about it" vibes.

5 planets lost to chaos corruption is the death timer iirc from the game devs previews. I may be wrong though.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 15, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Collapsing Farts posted:

Apart from the very first choice when you get to choose one of the advanced classes, i've never seen a librarian as a reward for any mission. Almost 600 days into the campaign and it seems I will never see one of the major classes in the game before I finish it :/

Ditto but for chaplains in my case.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Grandmaster Kai is a loving dick.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

rocket_Magnet posted:

Level 2 guns level 2 void shields and near max Hull against a cruiser with lv2 guns. Still got blown up.

I'm fairly sure many decisions are still random, the upgrades just improve your odds.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The original Chaos Gate is cool, although is completely linear, with hand crafted scenarios, which kills all of its replay value.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Getting Chaos Gate to run is a funny topic. In my case the GoG version runs like a dream in my not so old laptop without any fiddling whatsoever. It also runs ok in my new laptop, with some adjustments and with some infrequent crashes. My lovely old desktop with Win7? Nope, doesn't even load without crashing.

Just burn some incense and pray to the Omnissiah, maybe you'll get lucky. I play ever now and then. It's not a diffcult game, it just gets very tedious later on with all the micromanagement and the enormous maps.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Jedit posted:

No, I didn't have a Psilencer. They're talent locked and this was too early to have the talent. I also couldn't fall back because the reinforcements boxed me in and there was nowhere to go. Every marine was either critically injured or under lethal levels of enemy overwatch as soon as they started acting.

And no, that's not XCOM. I completed the original XCOM and it never gave you anything like this in the early game. You could get RNG hosed by missing a high percentage hit, but the number of enemies was always manageable unless you really screwed up. This mission is the equivalent of a midgame XCOM mission against a large Sectoid saucer, but it comes at the start of the game.

Depending on where the reinforcements spawn it's still doable, but yeah, it's basically the worst kind of cascade failure and you're just better off hitting Esc and clicking 'Restart mission' rather than dealing with that mess.

Max Wilco posted:

I guess I've just been lucky, because I think I upgraded to Win10 while I had it installed, but it still managed to work. One big thing you need to do is not install it under Program Files, but rather in a folder under C:/ (and I think the overall path needs to be pretty short) There was an update for it that broke it, but I was able to get it fixed by uninstalling it and reinstalling it (I believe it was because of conflict with a ddraw fan patch that I was using beforehand), and now you can run it in a window or full-screen with aspect correction.

I've been playing it on the Easy difficulty, but I agree that it does get very tedious. The larger maps give you tons of enemies you've got to take out, and if you're like me and trying to keep all your marines alive, you reload whenever you have a bad turn. The perspective also makes it difficult to try and gauge whether you can hit an enemy or not. One thing I found that helps to speed things up is to disable the walking animations. There are some game breaking bugs with it, too: I had mission I had to redo because it wouldn't end even though I eliminated all the enemies, and if you try to move marines en masse, sometimes their paths conflict and the game won't let you end your turn.

Still, I like it a lot. It feels like a snapshot of 40K around 2e or so (based on the logo used) when there were still things like Chaos Dreadnoughts. The visuals are still pretty solid, I think, and the audio design for voices, sound effects, and music are all phenomenal. Honestly, it's the kind of thing where I wish there had been a remake, or some kind of source port instead of a sequel.

One annoying thing now is because of Daemonhunters, searches for stuff on the original are harder now, because you get a lot of results for the new game.

Welp, I tried your method and installed the GoG version on a short C:/ path and now it works perfectly, I thought I tried that when I bought this laptop and didn't work well, what in the actual gently caress :psyduck:

The game gets really easy once you figure out that the optimal way of playing is being very slow and methodical. Are you out in the open? move slowly, never use group move, use cover, use smoke grenades and focus fire your heavy weapons (bring all the heavy weapons you can, heavy bolters are your best tool early on). If the enemy has heavy weapons on overwatch, you're going to need to bait them out at extreme range and bring them down quick. Tunnel fighting and melee is where things get trickier. Also, if it's your first time, be aware that there are unavoidable scripted events on most missions. Have fun.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm around a dozen missions in my legendary difficulty playthrough, and it's been pretty smooth so far, slow and methodical but good enough. Of all the recent balance tweaks to me the most important one has been the changes to the injury threshold, not getting injured soldiers just by getting hit once has been quite a life changer, thanks the Emprah.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Zephro posted:

This is 25% off on Steam at the moment. Goonsensus seems to be it's pretty good, right?

Yes, if you like X-Com like games with a twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Purifier has a nice skill that gives a stacking+dmg buff everytime it uses a psychic power (including psy attacks), it's pretty fun to build around.

Everything works in standard, legendary can get pretty back breaking at times.