Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
I was enjoying the game until I got a bug somewhere around the first boss fight that won’t let me repair my ship at all. I think it was from an event that just never cleared, but I made it through day 300 until I realized I can’t finish the game with no way to repair or upgrade the ship.

I also agree with everyone who says that the balancing is off. The beginning 3 missions or so need to be much easier than they are, but soon enough you get strong enough to make it almost too easy. Also once I got harvesting skulls, I never had any use for melee. 3 ranged purgators and a justicar for the ap/wp boost is much easier than trying to get into melee, though interceptor is hilarious.

The game doesn’t have hit chance for normal shots, but it just replaces that randomness with crit chance, because crits are where the real damage is, and everything else is just chip. There’s randomness in all the auto skills (will I get an AP or WP refunded? 50/50) and the random events that pop up on the campaign map that can absolutely hose you without any good upside make it much more random than it probably should be. My gripes are that the maps are too large and take to long to traverse in each mission, the enemies move too far and some of them can drop a bomb on your head immediately upon activation before you get a chance to move, which sucks if you’re standing next to something that can explode. I don’t really like the bloom mechanic and being “punished” for using your powerful skills, but I also found that I could mostly ignore it and just wait for reinforcements to arrive and deplete them (until the bloom counter adds more reinforcements, haha).

So anyway, I had a couple of other bugs like a non- responsive UI that made me have to restart the game, but overall I like it. I don’t think it’s as well- designed as the recently-released King Arthur Knight Tales or whatever that one was called, but I’m having fun with it.

However, If my second game here becomes unplayable due to the same game-breaking bug (or another one), I’ll shelve it and probably not come back. All in all, I think it just highlights how good xcom is while not really improving on it. But I guess given time, this game has a lot of potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I am a little confused on when the part targeting appears. Is it on Melee crits?

I think the stun meter has to be depleted- it’s the number on the skull when you mouse over an enemy. There’s a bunch of explanations of mechanics/statuses in the settings tab for some reason.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Be sure you do an execution with the force staff that can give aegis (forgot what it’s called). The animation is ::discourse:

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

bamhand posted:

My ship construction is stuck on one day remaining and swapping to a new project won't do anything. Any suggestions on fix? Googling didn't give me much.

If a save and relaunch of the game doesn’t fix it, you might be stuck with the game ending bug that affected my run. There’s an event that pops up that makes you go to a dry dock on a specific planet, and if you get that event (or maybe choose certain options), your manufactorum will be stuck on infinite time to complete forever and you can’t repair your ship, so your game is effectively over if you’re not about to win.

I was going to do another play through, but the changes and balancing they added with today’s patch seem unfun and make things more of a slog. Might come back after a DLC though- I thought the story was pretty good for this type of game.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

More stealth nerfs:

*Psycannon psychic onslaught ability now uses 2 ammo per shot.

This one is especially hilarious because some psycannons only have a one round mag and you cannot use this skill at all unless you have two ammo. Yes, +ammo skills, but whatever.

I did a grandmaster run before the nerf patch by alt-f4ing if I got the game breaking manufactorum event and thought the boss design was pretty good, excerpt maybe the final one, where I would suggest you bring an apothecary or a few servo skulls and a psilencer because the specific design means you’re moving a specific character most of the time and not attacking , and you can’t use +AP skills on that character to speed things up (it just eats the ap used with no effect). The boss loves to target that character and if he does, it’s game over. The boss can also use a skill to permakill, but he can be interrupted out of it.

Had fun with it!