Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
At the moment I'm playing this on standard difficulty and finding it really hard. I don't really mind the challenge per se but I do wonder if I'm missing a anything that's bloody obvious.

As an aside. Is there really any reason to not just slam everyone who can wear it into terminator armour? I know it's slower but realistically your dudes are so fragile that you want to stick together as a group and the two armour pips massively help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Padical posted:

Are there any hard game-overs in this game? I started on grandmaster mode to keep myself from savescumming, but now I am really worried about losing all my progress if my hull hits 0.

Having a blast otherwise. I was put off by the art style at first, but it looks good and the gameplay is great.

You can game over if you run out of hull and if you fail to stop the plague from spreading. I just game overed actually due to the latter.

One of the things I find incredibly frustrating about how the missions are constructed is that the number of enemies you have to kill increases with corruption level to finish the level. Fine. I can just about accept that on an entire planet the five dudes you need to kill are all in the same place (personally I'd make it so it's still one key objective but more patrols/better enemies).

So you set off on your mission to kill these five key dudes and hopefully extract their seeds.

Your four brave Grey Knights slaughter their way through four of the five key dudes, each representing one level of corruption on the planet. Then they die at the last hurdle. Mission defeat screen, absolutely no benefit for taking out those four key dudes. Worse is when it's one of those missions where you complete the objectives and they are like "Ahh we can't lock onto you for 3 turns" and all your dudes die. Next screen: Mission failed. OK so but I got all the objectives though, right?

This is actually one area where Xcom 2 was objectively better. If your mission has a key objective and a secondary objective and you need to extract your dudes at the end, if you do the main mission and everyone dies, it says "Mission Accomplished" but then it's all sad music as they are all dead. Likewise if you don't do the primary mission but do a secondary mission, like extracting a VIP, you get the benefit of doing that.

Also I'm not sure if anyone else is finding this but I find the missions to destroy the Noctilith Crowns way easier than a level 5 "normal" mission.

Oh and finally, I'm fairly frustrated that I wasted an Exterminatus bombardment trying to blow up a planet with an active Nocilith Crown, only to find it doesn't do anything. Why even have the button lit up and able to be pushed?

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 9, 2022

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Phrosphor posted:

Am I missing something with the falchions? is +5% crit worth missing out of 50% parry?

Higher levels of Falchions can have a higher percentage, also you don't need to have a parry if you have an interceptor who just slaughters everyone in front of him with a load of crits

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Collapsing Farts posted:

The game is starting to get too easy at endgame so that's fine. I'm really not trying very hard but I feel like I can dunk on just about any enemy combination right now with my justicars.

Related to that, not sure if I really prefer having a Paladin over another Justicar? They're only slightly more tanky but they don't get the +AP boost thing from what I could see. I guess they do get the +WP thing which might be more valuable now?

I mean yesterday I killed basically an entire pod of enemies with the overcharged AoE psychic power so I'm a huge fan personally.

On another note, I see people saying the Chaplain with the extra AP from executions is mega good, how are people getting executions easily? I know how to get them it just seems like you guys are talking as if you're executing people all the time whereas I'm doing it maybe twice a mission on average.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sipher posted:

Random event took my top three guys for SIXTY DAYS, goddamn.

The Emperor Giveth and the Emperor Taketh Away

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Angry Lobster posted:

Grandmaster Kai is a loving dick.

New thread title

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Psycho Landlord posted:

I have never once seen a ship encounter do more than one hull damage and I spent a huge chunk of my late game run hunting chaos cruisers for easy requisition. Did you pick the option that says "the enemy is outclassed" as flavor text?

Some events can make you take +1 damage. Specifically if your void shields break. You have like 3/5 Hull still but it has another box that says +1 damage to Hull. Since all the upgrades are called "void shields" it is all a bit muddled in my view.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So today I managed to complete the game, on normal difficulty but in grand master mode which I think counts for something.

Without spoiling anything I see what people mean more now with the inverse difficult curve. I'm not sure if I got lucky early on or something has just clicked in my head but right out of the gate it was all pretty successful, getting past the first story milestone without really having much corruption on the map and lots of upgrades. As I got towards the late game I had a full squad of level 9s, and then a backup squad of 6/7s.

The one thing I will warn people of without referring to the story is make sure you have two squads of level 9 guys who work well together for the last mission, or as close to that as possible

Some of the reviews I read described the missions as "getting in the way of the story" and I certainly see what they mean. By the end game I had strategic stuff mapped out and just needed to wait for the timer to tick down but every time the bloom spawned the only reason I even bothered going was to keep corruption down. I had loads of servitors, I had equipment for my main 4-8 guys. Getting loads of Grimoires to speed up research was just to stop me from getting bored.

The best missions were the bloomspreader ones, because with a Librarian, Interceptor, and Gate of Infinity Stratagem you could hope your way straight to it and kill the thing ending the mission. Increasing I kept getting chucked into missions with a really broken up map and 4 seed carriers to kill and it took so much longer it was a total pain in the arse.

The last mission was really cool but a bit janky. It felt almost impossible to hold the outer gate and people kept slipping through, but thats because my second squad was levels 5-6 and a weird mish mash of classes instead of a coherent team. It's a bit like FF7 where it suddenly is like "by the way I hope the rest of your team are good otherwise you're screwed in this final level" which I don't think is massively cool.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah end game for me I killed everything way too quick to bother stunning it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

rocket_Magnet posted:

Think they could've gone about 28 points smaller on the text, not bothered with English at all gone full high gothic latin-ish and c/p'd verses from the lore. I'd rather the text be near indecipherable than my indistinguishable faceless grey Knight have WRATH FIST across his breast plate or TERRA on his leg. Its one of the aesthetic things I've found most jarring. That & the lack of purity seals & scrolls everywhere, I know you can get some from the seed upgrades on equipment.

Having WRATH and TERRA engraved on your armour in huge letters is literally what they look like though? The only reason it looks massive is because you see them up close in a level of detail not even seen in the studio painted models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kinetica posted:

So what the hell do I do on the mission where the cruiser gets boarded . It keeps telling me reinforcements spawn next turn, and it’s only ever done it one time I tried.

Multiple attempts, throwing domination and/or frenzy while running for cover. I’ve tried running like hell without it once to see if there was something there causing the reinforcements to not spawn. I get hosed by a suppress then hit by the knock back (instadeath), or get knocked into a fire pit (collapses, lights me on fire, kills me), or plagued because I have literally no where on the map to get out of range of everything. I’ve even had one where I was one shot in the first turn where I sprinted in the farthest direction away without casting/shooting. What the gently caress is up with this trash

I did it by basically running around and not fighting until enough reinforcements had turned up that I could win.

If none are turning up, could be bugged.