Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

God drat it. The smart play here is clearly to wait a couple of months for patches and polishing. But I wanna play it now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

God drat it. The smart play here is clearly to wait a couple of months for patches and polishing. But I wanna play it now!

Welp.

The lifelong stuggle between common sense and FOMO has ended with yet another predictable triumph for FOMO. Handily maintaining it's 100% record of victories.

Downloading it now.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So picked the game up in sale, haven't played it yet. Planning to start.

I see the DLC is released today.

Should I do a vanilla run through, then pick the DLC up later for a second playthrough or just do everything at once.

I see it adds a second ship and new options etc. Which sound great, but I was thinking it all might be a bit much for a first run.

Thoughts?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dreadnoughts needing plenty of beauty sleep is canonical, you don't wake them up just to shoot a few cultists. :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Quick question if anyone can answer.

If I get the DLC did they patch/alter the massive difficulty spikes I heard about?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Having crashing issues :(

Updated everything, disabled steam overlay, downgrade a little in the settings. Still happening.

I don't suppose there's a 'Oh you need to disable/change this setting' that the community has worked out?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I finally got the drat thing to stop crashing all the time.

Should I be playing a first game on easy like Grey Hunter is doing in the LP?

I'm only a couple of hours in and it's already noticably getting harder. Does it ramp up super-hard?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I heard about the whole "Disable DLC monsters, unless you've got the DLC upgrades", so that's fine. I'll stick with it, I'm not losing missions, just my knights are getting a kicking. Apothecary definitely MVP at moment.

Re: Genre games. If you more enjoy the battlin' than base buildin' and you don't mind a card mechanic, I really liked Gloomhaven and Midnight Sons.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh, and a game that's pretty much just the tactical battle part of X-Com but i think is brilliant.

Druidstone: Secret of the Menhir Forest.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So does the game difficulty ramp up on Mercy much?

I started on regular, and rapidly found it got harder than I wanted to deal with. Don't have DLC and knew to disable enemy spawn for them.

So I restarted on Mercy, about 8-9 missions in, and I can basically sleepwalk through them, don't even come close to having a knight downed and frankly I'm a little bored.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think the Dev's made the classic mistake of "We've played this game for a 1000 hours, and are intimately familiar with the systems" when setting their difficulty levels.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok, so I've restarted again on standard, 150+ days in and now it's all going swimmingly so far.

I think those who say you really need a handle on the systems are right.

I wouldn't say you need a whole failed campaign, but I'd definitely recommend playing a couple of hours on standard/mercy, getting a feel for the rhythms of the game, it's upgrade speeds and what's going to be useful in a real playthrough are absolutely necessary.

Then abandon that run and start your proper game with what you've learned.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

drat that Craft World mission is tough.

I did it first time, but literally every single Knight went down, and the Inquisitor had 2HP left when the timer ran down.

I might replay it to see if I can do better, but I'll probably just roll with the 'B' team why they're all recuperating.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wouldn't mind a little time to grind up a my second team. To be clear, what's the name of the research I shouldn't complete until I'm ready?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just finished this (on normal). Really enjoyed it. Especially that you can work out ways to chain powers together to break the game over your knee.

Going to leave it a bit, but probably going to pick up the DLC at Xmas and have another run with everthing enabled.