Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm having none of those issues and blasting the poo poo out of chaos

the game really expects you to engage in all the mechanics like stunning enemies for executions. there's a pretty wide skill try but no idea if you'll get enough points to fill it out. so I've been focusing on more warp points and upping damage on the basic skills

pro tip that took me a while to figure out. you want the hammerhand skill on your melee skill to guarantee critical melee hits. that way you can extract seeds way easier. took me like 40 days to figure that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
you need two seeds to get that research, and can get hammerhand at level 2 on justicars and interceptors. I was at a point where I couldn't do any research for like 20 days due to the inability to get seeds. so it felt important to me :shrug:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's also usually at least 1 seed growth thing on the ground on each level that you can get a seed from for free -- they're easy to miss since they look like any other environmental hazard.

I've honestly missed these till now :tipshat:

no wonder I've been behind

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
on the subject of apothecaries. I've been using them to keep people topped off, health wise, by the end of missions to keep our glorious pretty boys from having even light wounds

I do this because I ran into a random space hulk mission that requires a fully healthy squad to start

it also helps that apothecaries have a melee skill that lets them auto-extract a seed. in the end all classes get a bunch of pretty useful skills

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to future dlc's. I want some Doomglaive Dreadnoughts or maybe Techmarines

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

Welp.

The lifelong stuggle between common sense and FOMO has ended with yet another predictable triumph for FOMO. Handily maintaining it's 100% record of victories.

Downloading it now.

we thank you, for the taint of chaos is everywhere. we are the shield that protects the Imperium

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

So is this legit good? Looks neat but gamers seem to be very upset about Twitch drops so the Steam reviews are "mixed".

I honestly didn't even know twitch drops were a thing for this game. they clearly aren't required so I'd say get it if you're interested in the theme. it's not as good as Xcom 2 + WotC but neither is vanilla Xcom 2 so it's an unfair comparison

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's a victory, obviously

:hai:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I'm like 18 hours in and still loving this game. I had a mission where I chain killed 3 pods. I didn't realize the true power of executions and how criticals a play into that

what I really want is some sick tier 3 falchions with + crit% chance on an interceptor with + crit chance skills. slice and dice my way through maps

here's a question: do you get enough levels to max out skill trees?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

If you install the sarcophagus and lose knights, those knight can then be communed with for extra skill points for a living knight.

It is possible to get all 36 points necessary to get everything via this method, though obviously wasteful.

isn't there also a way to respec your knights if you commune? I kinda want to lose a knight, on purpose, to try it out but doesn't feel great

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

You can but it also requires a dead dude in a sarcophagus

welp looks like my 3rd Apothecary is getting the axe

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I don't because I love the force weapons. this whole faction is so over the top that I can't help but :swoon:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I haven't had a chance to play since the update but the changes seem fine. I wasn't even using those strats to begin with and still doing fine on the next to last difficulty

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I got those tier 2 falchions with +crit% I was hoping for and that interceptor is now a death machine. I went ranged skills first with my purgators but am pretty close to extra grenades

game still good fam

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
:same:

requisition points are good but making missions a slog isn't fun. someone upthread mentioned it but the tier 1 weapons aren't really worth it. there are a few standouts but it's better to save points to upgrade your drops when you do the grand master reports

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's a t2 and t3 version of every weapon and armor permutation it seems

But some permutations are so good that even if you only get the T1 variant you'll use it not notice the difference

oh for sure. I've just learned to not grab everything at the end of missions. I wish there was a way to recycle some of the old weapons I still have laying around. would make it easier to spend points in the early game

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I honestly can't tell if you're telling zephro to get the game or not

there is a huge variance in skill level as many people, online, are complaining about the game being too hard on normal. so it really depends on how you play the game

personally I'm playing on ruthless with ironman and it's had plenty of challenges. I haven't fully lost a squad member and as mentioned above the more skills you get the easier the game gets but that's a feature of all x-com like games. they are actively updating the game every week and adjusting things. I have pretty high hopes for this one and the future dlc's

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You guys are writing about overwatch and suppression like you aren't taking 4 interceptors into every mission, I don't understand

I've been running 2x interceptors, a justicar and purgator or 2x justicars, an interceptor and purgator

I'll sometimes run an apothecary to mix it up. the melee biomancy for crit damage and melee movement can be fun when combo'ed with a falchion interceptor specced into melee crit chance. 10 damage per swing is :nice:

I did just start getting advanced classes. I picked Librarian, for more wizard poo poo. so they'll get tossed into the mix

I've stopped getting brothers as a reward from missions and instead hiring them from the barracks. the auto leveled choices can be frustrating

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

I mean when you're starting out you don't even know those things exist unless you're meticulously pouring over every screen before you make any decisions about anything.

wait peeps don't spend like 10-15 minutes reading skill trees when they start out a game? the only time I don't is when that information is hidden until level up

trying to find synergies and wombo-combos is half the point of these games

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

NmareBfly posted:

I want DLC with another chapter or a different chaos god or something. I mean for real it goes without saying that there should be orcs but since this is grey knights they gotta fight chaos I guess. :jerkbag:

the game is literally called Chaosgate

as for the Ork game we've been waiting for well here ya are: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1324530/Warhammer_40000_Shootas_Blood__Teef/

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah but they're Orks. They don't need any lore reasons beyond "we herd dere wuz some propa scrappin' goin' on 'ere and wanted a go". Or Chaos opened a gate (huh, huh?) to a Tyranid hive fleet. Or a Necron tomb world.

sure they'd make a great Lost faction for a WotC style dlc. though my point was that you can't really be surprised that Chaos is the primary enemy in a game called Chaosgate

that'd be like being upset there's Skaven in Vermintide. hell they even added Chaos to Vermintide 2

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I honestly think that has to do with the way GW licenses out their games. limited factions to start and if it does well they allow more factions to be rolled in

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
looks like the dev team has their poo poo together. lots of fixes for failure states people in this thread were hitting and performance issues

quote:

Fixed an issue where the Psycannon's Psychic Onslaught range did not match weapon range. Psychic Onslaught will now take the weapon’s base range as it’s own range.

they even resolved a pet peeve of mine

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I thought so too until I played this game.

:hai:

it's a solid game, and does more things right than it fucks up. which is pretty good all things considered

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I used to give the +movement armors to my Interceptors but in reality the Purgators are the ones who need it the most. being able to walk on up, unload a full clip then toss a grenade will eviscerate most groups

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
early on it's easy to do them as you don't have a lot of gear. by mid game you don't need the requisition as much. so why bother

the rewards for grimoires and servitors matters way more

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I completed a grand master campaign on release. been waiting for dlc to play again. was a super fun time

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

How heavy-handed were the later changes/nerfs that made it harder to skip ahead to a mission's objective and essentially insta-complete it without ever really fighting anybody? I finished the game shortly before those were implemented, but given how samey the non-story missions tended to be I think I really wouldn't have liked the idea of having to spend more time on them.

I finished my campaign after those changes and they were fine. like missions didn't take that long and you got juiced up enough that you could insta-wipe groups

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

I feel like you can just have 2 interceptors run a crit train on everyone while having a librarian for teleport support and a justicar to feed them even more AP. Anything else is unnecessary/harder to use. They need to expand the squad size to actually fit in some of these other classes.

why wouldn't you just take more interceptors? I don't see how more slots is going to encourage you to diversify if you already feel like the others aren't optimal

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah, I was thinking of doing another run anyway and this is amazing news

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

I don't really like how the DLC is structured for the game, where they drop in a shitload of new enemies and wrinkles as free updates but restrict all of the new toys to help you deal with the new enemies and wrinkles to the paid part of the DLC.

I got back into this game today and there's an additional setting during campaign creation to turn off DLC units from normal spawns

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm 40 days in, and goofed the first mission forgetting that servo skulls are primo rewards the first couple of outings. not really a huge deal as I rearranged the research to make it work

got my first assassin, Callidus, and they're fun. all their abilities are on cooldowns instead of costing WP. so you're encouraged to use them often to keep up momentum

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I didn't take Vindicare because I wanted to keep my Purgator around but drat do they look sexy. plus now is the time to experiment and see if there are any hidden combos

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

So I finally got the drat thing to stop crashing all the time.

Should I be playing a first game on easy like Grey Hunter is doing in the LP?

I'm only a couple of hours in and it's already noticably getting harder. Does it ramp up super-hard?

honestly it kinda depends on how often you play tactical games like this. the game does expect you to interact with its systems to overcome challenges. you can't really charge ahead without weighing your options. using the pod discovery -> gaining ap system is the core of the game. warp surges seem bad but most of the effects are more annoying than run ending. so don't overextend yourself and understand when backing off is the right call

that said the game isn't impossible; and your knights get crazy powerful

fake edit: oh and if this is your first run, turn off the dlc units. they are for people who have a run under their belt and understand the various conditions and ai behaviors

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, I heard about the whole "Disable DLC monsters, unless you've got the DLC upgrades", so that's fine. I'll stick with it, I'm not losing missions, just my knights are getting a kicking. Apothecary definitely MVP at moment.

Re: Genre games. If you more enjoy the battlin' than base buildin' and you don't mind a card mechanic, I really liked Gloomhaven and Midnight Sons.

taking wounds doesn't matter. as long as you have 1hp left you're good to go.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

not a bot posted:

Also it's fine to go down to 0 hp, you'll just get a bonus for it. And it's fine for your units to fully die too, since dead ones will provide ability points. the higher level the dead one the more points you get.

oh yeah, the game has several safety nets for bad poo poo happening. unless you're playing on the hardest difficulty all your knights can take wounds and walk it off after a trip to the doctor. I kinda wish communing with the dead was a little easier to get. start with one dude in there from the tutorial battle

this game is a race and you're fighting a desperate losing battle. you can take the midpoint battle at like lvl 5-6. everything after that is getting a second squad running and rushing the research

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
things are going pretty good this run. just finished midpoint mission with Intercessor / Justicar / Callidus / Purgator @ 6 / 5 / 5 / 5. I'm playing on Ruthless / Grandmaster and am at day 159

Callidus ignoring armor with their gun has been a godsend for clearing out models with armor on them. also at lvl 5 the Assassin gets Silent Death where it can insta-kill any non-large model :getin: I do feel like I should play with the techmarine a bit, so maybe they'll go into the B squad

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
oooo boy just did a tenatrus hive mission and do not take a Techmarine on those. on one hand he soaked up a lot of the bombardments; on the other the servitors died before I could really make much use out of them

it was low difficulty, because I caught it early, and felt like I barely made it out alive. Purgator with Honor of the Chapter and Quicksilver stratagem hard carried me at the end. I didn't take a Interceptor because I wanted to level the Techmarine

overall we're still doing great. it's day 200, got the Dreadnaught and average Knight level is 7. I might try for the sub 500 day cheevo this time

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I think the problem with the newer missions is that you don't get the normal action refresh and reload when you encounter or wipe a pod. there's no unengaged state happening. which kinda kills momentum and makes it easy to overextend

oh what's everyone doing with their Dreads? I went Lascannon / Missile Launcher for pure fire support role

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we did it fam beat the game at day 476. I never got anymore advanced classes besides a chaplain but the assassins helped fill in gaps. I beat my previous clear by 120ish days. so that felt good

fun game but I do wish the expansions would add other factions to fight. thematically I understand why they don't but maybe some random orks, eldar or other daemons would break up the enemies. maybe X-Com 2's factions like the Lost would work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah it kinda makes you wonder what the tail end of the dev cycle will be for this game. I could see them being done here but I can also see another expansion

I kinda want to try playing on legendary next and take it slower. I think if you wait on the second big research project on the origins of the bloom the game kinda waits in a holding pattern. the one that requires one of all the different seeds I mean. Craftworld opens up a lot of stuff so I think waiting on it is kinda silly. plus beating it unlocks advanced classes. I want to try abusing the commune system and rolling the dice on better traits for my dudes