Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ilmucche posted:

Swap Spain and Lithuania on that list and it's pretty alright

I loved Lithuania but Spain I got a lot of respect for, she was wearing the costume of the typical dad bait vote, but had actual talent and put on a cracking performance on the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
heheheh.......cracking

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
In a year with mostly quiet songs and ballads Moldova would have stood out, but in 2022 where you had Ukraine, Norway, Serbia and France it felt like the least "weird" songs of the group.
I think it was a fine song and show, but i'm not sure why people love it so much.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Oasx posted:

In a year with mostly quiet songs and ballads Moldova would have stood out, but in 2022 where you had Ukraine, Norway, Serbia and France it felt like the least "weird" songs of the group.
I think it was a fine song and show, but i'm not sure why people love it so much.

It was fun, immediate, the performance was high energy and it had a great spot in the running order.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It was fun, immediate, the performance was high energy and it had a great spot in the running order.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Just as a comment, the only reason that Chanel got to represent Spain was that it was pushed through by the Spanish Jury. The Spanish public unanimously voted for Terra to represent them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGN9efcACw

Literally only 4% of the public voted for Slo-Mo.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The running order thing I have never understood. As a viewer it doesn’t really make a difference to me whether a number comes on first or last, especially not since they show clips of all of them several times when it’s time to vote.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Oasx posted:

The running order thing I have never understood. As a viewer it doesn’t really make a difference to me whether a number comes on first or last, especially not since they show clips of all of them several times when it’s time to vote.

It’s more the fact that Moldova were later and smack dab in between a billion slow ballads. Being different from who is around you is a huge advantage as you naturally are going to stand out more. Anything that helps you stand out from the other songs will give you an advantage and Moldova was the perfect song to do that this year.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lid posted:

We'llsend TISM and you'll love it
Would unironically love it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ralph Crammed In posted:

My son listened to Portugal - "This is a boring one and the Netherlands is boring one also" which is great cause we live in The Netherlands and he can already cut through the bullshit at 3. But Moldova and Ukraine are "dancing songs" and he really like Estonian as well, but didn't know how to dance to it.

Listening to the Spotify Playlist and wow Lithuania's is so good. Estonia is also much better as a Playlist song. And Georgia is so good!!! They were 100% robbed.

Moldova is my kid's favorite song this year. He didn't like the Dutch song much either, but had hoped she would win because Netherlands. :geert:
He's a little annoyed at Serbia since he can't get it out of his head. bit bit bit

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

A good night of sleep after, I still can't understand how Italy got so many points from the public, that song would have got boos at SanRemo for being too amateurish and boring

Is this a bit? They literally won Sanremo this year with the song. That's why they were in Eurovision.

I liked Italy, it's a shame their performance in the final was terrible.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I wasn't a fan of the Italian song in general since that type of ballad just isn't my style, but their singing at the finals was absolute dogshit and they shouldn't have come 6th.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

jimmydalad posted:

Just as a comment, the only reason that Chanel got to represent Spain was that it was pushed through by the Spanish Jury. The Spanish public unanimously voted for Terra to represent them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGN9efcACw

Literally only 4% of the public voted for Slo-Mo.

That's a solid bottom 3rd song and performance.
Juries are a land of contrast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spanish jury were right. SloMo would have won any other year

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nenonen posted:

fwiw I don't think this is a good year to run a comparison between public and jury votes. In nearly all countries the public's 12 points went to Ukraine, and on a normal year this would not have happened. You can't expect the juries to give points out of sympathy, though - unless you can pay for their sympathy.
Even if you remove Ukraine from the list, there are a lot of entries where the jury/public ratio is hilariously skewed.

I don't know why everyone dissed France though, I thought their entry was pretty good.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Collateral Damage posted:

Even if you remove Ukraine from the list, there are a lot of entries where the jury/public ratio is hilariously skewed.

I don't know why everyone dissed France though, I thought their entry was pretty good.

France was great but they didn't cast the right spell

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Darth TNT posted:

Moldova is my kid's favorite song this year. He didn't like the Dutch song much either, but had hoped she would win because Netherlands. :geert:
He's a little annoyed at Serbia since he can't get it out of his head. bit bit bit

My husband said this morning it would have been more authentically Dutch if her refrain had been "Ooooooooo, heh heh" like that little obiquitious sigh the Dutch make all the time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Moldova had extreme dance energy and sang about a train. I don't understand what else could possibly improve a song.

France was a good "one of those" Eurovision folk songs but there has been tons of top tier yodelling and ululating in the past few years so they ultimately compare a little mediocre.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-irregular-voting-2022

EBU Statement: Irregular voting patterns during Second Semi-Final 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We were all trashed at my party, and my friend who has never seen the competition before is calling the competition rigged because France didn't end up in the top 5. It's amazing how fast people adapt to the ideals of Eurovision - irrational anger because things didn't go their way. One of us.

Also, listening to the CD release of this years competition I'm thrilled that Eat Your Salad is uncensored.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Grillfiend posted:

Keep the jury vote but have the juries comprised of Goons

it would just permanently be hosted in Moldova and i don't think they can afford that

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

We were all trashed at my party, and my friend who has never seen the competition before is calling the competition rigged because France didn't end up in the top 5. It's amazing how fast people adapt to the ideals of Eurovision - irrational anger because things didn't go their way. One of us.

Also, listening to the CD release of this years competition I'm thrilled that Eat Your Salad is uncensored.

I was very surprised at his preference for clam salad.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Darth TNT posted:

I was very surprised at his preference for clam salad.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-irregular-voting-2022

EBU Statement: Irregular voting patterns during Second Semi-Final 2022

There are way too many numbers and tables here for me to understand what's going on aside from "they cheated", but does this explain why Georgia got robbed in the semis?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ralph Crammed In posted:

There are way too many numbers and tables here for me to understand what's going on aside from "they cheated", but does this explain why Georgia got robbed in the semis?

This is the relevant bit to chew:

quote:

In the Second Semi-Final,

quote:

it was observed that four of the six juries all placed five of the other countries in their Top Five (taking into account they could not vote for themselves); one jury voted for the same five countries in their Top 6; and the last of the six juries placed four of the others in the Top 4 and the fifth in their Top 7. Four of the six received at least one set of 12 points which is the maximum that can be awarded.

The pattern in question was detected as irregular by the pan-European Voting Partner and acknowledged by the Independent Voting Monitor, as

quote:

five of these six countries were ranked outside the Top 7 by the juries in the 15 other countries voting in the same Semi-Final
(which included three of the Big Five: Germany, Spain and the United Kingdom). Additionally, four of the six countries were ranked in the Bottom 6 of the other 15 countries voting in this Semi-Final. A jury voting pattern irregularity of such a scale is unprecedented.

So there was this abnormal voting block where everyone's juries were giving each other 12's or other top scores, whereas none of the 15 other countries in the semi-final had any of them in their Top 7 (points 12, 10, 8 and 7-4). Obviously this is fishy even in the context of usual block voting because San Marino, Poland, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Romania and Montenegro are not some cultural siblings who always support each other.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The biggest lol is that they did this blatant collusion and it made no difference whatsoever to who qualified

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
A bit fishy how they then changed those jury votes so that every one of those six countries gave 12 to Sweden and 10 to Australia, but that probably didn't affect the end result and those were the two favorites of the other juries anyway.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Kennel posted:

A bit fishy how they then changed those jury votes so that every one of those six countries gave 12 to Sweden and 10 to Australia, but that probably didn't affect the end result and those were the two favorites of the other juries anyway.

I think the mechanical explanation for that is they averaged the scores of the other juries, translated that into a points list, and applied that list to the six offenders. Mechanics right-or-wrong aside, it was quick, and the Eurovision machine kept rolling and on schedule

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I liked Georgia but they were kinda lazy? How do you write a 2 minute pop song with funk and proggy King Crimson nods and still make it feel unnecessarily repetitive. And then for the performance they just dressed up in costumes and stood there. If you're gonna flame out with something too highbrow and high-concept for Eurovision at least loving smash it like Hatari did.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I liked Georgia but they were kinda lazy? How do you write a 2 minute pop song with funk and proggy King Crimson nods and still make it feel unnecessarily repetitive. And then for the performance they just dressed up in costumes and stood there. If you're gonna flame out with something too highbrow and high-concept for Eurovision at least loving smash it like Hatari did.

Fair enough, but a lot of lazy ballads got through as well. I guess juries like lazy ballads more than stuff that makes me think of what I listened to in high school.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
[The sub Woolfer dance

My son approves, though he preferred Iceland’s dance last year.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there anywhere I can see who was bribed to give azerbaijan their remaining votes?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah watching the final i was like the gently caress who is voting for the discount justin timberlake guy???

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I wasn't a fan of the Italian song in general since that type of ballad just isn't my style, but their singing at the finals was absolute dogshit and they shouldn't have come 6th.

It's a shame because Soldi was a right banger three years ago

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

any weird san remo entries of note?

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl4On_Vw3gE

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

oh my

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

hola mi bebebes

Romania is threatening to withdraw from Eurovision after being called out by the EBU and is accusing Sweden, Belgium and Australia of trading votes. They're holding a public poll over whether they should leave the competition or not

quote:

TVR is displeased with the way in which the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), organizer of the event, conducted the process, and states that the jury’s votes were replaced by an algorithm “not at all transparent, which in raises suspicion”.

In recent days, Montenegro’s RTCG has also accused Australia, Sweden and Belgium of having agreed to exchange votes with each other, something TVR also suspects. “There were other countries that were not sanctioned and still received additional points”, he laments.

For the Romanian broadcaster, “the impact of the suspicions on competition and on the reputation of the broadcasters could have been eliminated if the EBU had communicated its suspicions after the semi-final”. “All we could do was ask the jurors for explanations, after they had already been tried and sanctioned.”

TVR also accuses the EBU of having “lied” during the broadcast of the final, saying that Romania’s spokeswoman, Eda Marcus, could not go live due to “technical problems”. According to TVR, it was Eda who refused to go on the air to read the substitute results.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

adios mi bebebe 😢

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The famed Triple Alliance of Belgium, Australia, and Sweden rears its head again