Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
NEWEST:

Dead Space 3 is a an action-survival-horror game for major consoles and PC. It was developed by Visceral Games
and was published by Electronic Arts on February 5, 2013 in the US and on February 8 internationally. The series
turns its universe grand in scale in this iteration, in gameplay too. It marks a turning point for the franchise,
featuring all kinds of new and expanded elements to shift the game more toward open exploration separated by
linear setpieces similar to the previous games. It makes use of directing and cinematography moreso than the
player-always-behind-the-wheel approach of the others and therefore has a more adventurous, film-like story to
boot. Think 'The Thing' meets 'Sunshine', with sidequesting.

Some time after escaping the necromorph outbreak on Titan Station, Isaac Clarke's relationship with fellow Sprawl
survivor Ellie Langford is falling apart. The past few years haven't been kind to him, nor have the Marker secrets
swimming around inside his head which go bumping around in there all-the-time. He is hiding on Luna, wallowing in
self-pity, and in fear of the pursuant EarthGov. Ellie, meanwhile, has been driven restless by the Markers, incensed
by their presence throughout the galaxy as big batteries, now knowing that they can turn humans into arguably worse
at a moment's notice. Recently, she gave Isaac an ultimatum and then left his pity party, off to seek and cease the
source of the Markers on a wing, a prayer, and the tiniest melting ice cube of clues in space.

Little does Clarke know, he will be joining her search party soon on a planet called Tau Volantis. A radical Unitologist
group known as the "The Circle" has begun tampering with Marker test labs at human outposts across the galaxy, to
begin the spread of the necromorph infection anew. Humankind is threatened with a necromorph epidemic on a scale
that would dwarf even Titan Station's catastrophe. But the signal that tells the gribblies to get gribbling has to be
coming from somewhere. Maybe, just maybe, Isaac Clarke and Sergeant John Carver will be able to keep one anothers'
heads screwed on straight long enough aboard Captain Robert Norton's hostile crew to follow a breadcrumb trail from
the past which may prove to ensure humanity's future.

When I was 15 years old, I discovered a newly emerging internet concept called Let's Play. For a while I sat purely
a viewer, but the creativity on display by the likes of Research Indicates, The Man With a Hat, joats, dscruffy1 and
Freelance Astronauts inspired me to join in. I saw the effort put forth and felt there were games deserving of a
look through a similar casual joint spotlight of information and humor.

Back in the day I really, really disliked Dead Space 3. I felt, as many did, that it sullied a franchise that had just
begun to evolve. Action was seen as the nail in the coffin for horror in the mid-2010s- it generally was accepted that
games in the survival horror genre would lose their edge on the second trip to the carnival, the second bucket pulled
from the same well. Time and time again this happened to franchises which phased out their more intellectual horror
elements over time in favor of shock such as FEAR, Resident Evil, and Kirby. We obviously know now thanks to games
like Resident Evil 7 that those folks were nuts. And speaking of, thanks to specifically that game? I'm re-examining
many of my own opinions.

Dead Space 3 was not marred by a well-used bucket. Instead, the well water itself was poisoned by fad-chasing executives
and the result was a game with a 200 degree fever that had to be cobbled together after meeting the big swinging hammer
of corporate meddling. It sold absolute gangbusters, the best in the franchise by far, and EA rewarded Visceral for their
eternal crunch time by firing most of the team and relocating whoever stayed to Origin game development. In 2014 I did a
let's play of Dead Space 3 that holds up well, but doesn't give any consideration to that aspect. We trash talked the
game a lot, and this time we won't, because Visceral didn't deserve that. They're a passionate group of people writing
and directing and art-ing their asses off under the gun, and with Dead Space coming back into the limelight with the
remake upcoming, what better time than to tell the world, our way?

Dead Space 3's co-op mode was envisioned very differently than what we got in the final product. Due to restrictions on
memory, budget, and most importantly time, Visceral's complete vision for the game was unable to be realized. At
first you were able to go your separate ways and travel the SCAF colony alone, and meet up for special side missions or
the main story. In practice, Isaac and Carver are glued to each other- they can't even take an elevator separately or
stand on opposite sides of an airlock. The game can feel very crowded in co-op, while borderline incomplete at times in
single player because Carver ends up teleporting from cutscene to cutscene.

But honestly, having Carver present completely changes the context and atmosphere of the story, for the better. The altered
cutscenes and additional dialogue provided by co-op give the game not just more flavor, but a totally different and less
cynical tone. It flows and gels much better, because it was (re-)written with his presence in mind. And thanks to time and
technology, although Isaac and Carver can't be separate in the REAL game, with the power of seamless editing he will be
coming and going to present us all with a unique and hopefully ideal realization of Visceral's Dead Space 3.

As usual, please don't. The series may be getting on in years now, but we're going to be assessing the narrative
and its strengths and weaknesses along the way so let's not blow all that too early! It's a long, icy road ahead.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 7, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Convergence?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Altman be praised.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I understood things correctly Isaac and Carver are caught in a turf war between Elton John and Wes Scantlin but with the help of Our Lady Peace they manage to escape.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Altman be praised!

Wait, haven't we been here before?

Hey, production values are up! Is this the remastered LP? Hope it turns out better than the GTA3 Remaster.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I understood things correctly Isaac and Carver are caught in a turf war between Elton John and Wes Scantlin but with the help of Our Lady Peace they manage to escape.

Got it in one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Where is the bussy at Cjakes? I was promised Bubsy!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anyways I'm super-glad the first time and only times I've played Dead Space 3 was in co-op because regardless of the very real issues the game has (including those caused by the co-op when you aren't in co-op) its RE5/6 all over again where yeah its terrible but also its really fun when you're with another person.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Who thought that hulking power armor with glowing red eyes is a good design for your helpful coop buddy?

I think i would have shot Carver/Crow multiple times by accident during that video.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OutofSight posted:

Who thought that hulking power armor with glowing red eyes is a good design for your helpful coop buddy?

I think i would have shot Carver/Crow multiple times by accident during that video.

Carver is a former Helghan who kept the helmet. Time to force this into being the cross-over event of the century.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That was loving glorious, Im really looking forward to this wild musical journey!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Sally posted:

Altman be praised.

Altman be praised.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

Sally posted:

Altman be praised.
Altman be praised.

Altman be praised.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This game is amazingly fun. I love Isaac's good friend Mr. Potato Head.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Praisman be alted.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

LOOKS LIKE I'M GONNA NEEDLE LITTLE LASIK, HA HA HA AAGHGHGHHGHGHGHFGHG

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

LOOKS LIKE I'M GONNA NEEDLE LITTLE LASIK, HA HA HA AAGHGHGHHGHGHGHFGHG

Make us who--LY poo poo!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

okay so now i have watched the first episode and HOLY poo poo THIS RULES hooray thank you

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Leal posted:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:five:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I can't believe it's been so long since the last LP. It is nice to be reminded even after all this time that stasis is always there, should some kind of emergency arise.

The editing in this is out of this world. I'm not sure this specific game deserves so much effort, but it's a pretty interesting way to approach LPing a co-op game, and obviously the earlier Dead Space games don't have co-op, so...

Anyway, you're going above and beyond with this, CJacobs.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Changing the character interactions based on whether you’re playing single or co-op is an interesting choice, but it captures the experience of playing with most ai partners.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you all for the kind words so far! I was inspired by my buds and figured it'd be fun to try and put my best foot forward and keep it there. I hope that by the end this LP will make a statement of sorts about the fact that the love you put into your art will withstand the test of time and stay visible. Dead Space 3 is in my opinion emblematic of passion driving artistic integrity, and to me let's play represents that as well. I hope to demonstrate that EVERYONE deserves credit for their genuine enthusiasm!

And the best part is it's by no means 'work' when it's with friends! Here's a look at just how much fun it is to put all that effort in!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 13, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hell yah! the bonus features begin :hellyeah:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just going to point out that the lyric referenced in the title comes from a song released 32 years ago in 1990, possibly before OP was born and almost certainly before they or most of the people reading this were consciously listening to music.

This has been your Old Person(TM) fact of the day.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scaramouche posted:

Just going to point out that the lyric referenced in the title comes from a song released 32 years ago in 1990, possibly before OP was born and almost certainly before they or most of the people reading this were consciously listening to music.

Oh if the thread title got you navel gazing that deep then the rest of the LP is going to make you feel like you are already being poured through a newspaper funnel into your decorative ash urn my friend! I hope you are excited because I am!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Oh if the thread title got you navel gazing that deep then the rest of the LP is going to make you feel like you are already being poured through a newspaper funnel into your decorative ash urn my friend! I hope you are excited because I am!

I clicked one of my wrists today while shifting in bed, my wrist hurt for an hour and my hand went numb. I'm getting there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Successfully mashing E to survive a quicktime event is always worth the carpal tunnel flare up in my opinion!

And plus Isaac's a trade school graduate, in this universe he probably has arthritis in all his bones and then some. This will be the most immersive let's play ever.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Oh, I forgot about the LL Cool J song - though I am technically old enough to have heard it at the time. :corsair:

I thought it was a reference to the Grinspoon song "Comeback" - which I've got stuck in my head now; great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help me to breathe.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and it's an explosive friendship. Let's watch it blow up all over again in HD!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

look at that plethora of hosed up eyes!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hahah I recognized that song like right off, nice choice.
I do love how the crew totally ignores all the hostile contacts on their displays as the Eudora approaches the debris field, idiots.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 20, 2022

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Oh what the fresh hell is this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah buddy!!!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dead Space 3's weapon crafting may not explicitly be very Dead Space but it is extremely good. It's a bit of a damning comparison in terms of tone but back then I was still way into Borderlands 2 and after playing Dead Space 3 I was thinking "this is way better than 8 billion random parts with slightly different stats." Let me make my own extremely goofy weapons!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
They named the ship "Roanoke"!

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
That coop editing is drat good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

They named the ship "Roanoke"!

I have since found out that EVERY ship in the Sovereign Colonies fleet is named after a disastrous venture of one form or another, not just the Roanoke! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I have since found out that EVERY ship in the Sovereign Colonies fleet is named after a disastrous venture of one form or another, not just the Roanoke! :eng101:

I think the idea was to tempt fate so much that it would just shrug and say "You know what? This is too obvious, even for me." so nothing would go wrong.

Alas, they didn't manage to pass over the critical Uno threshold (named after the famous Canadian politician and former mercenary Takaki Uno), and thus all their death flags caught up to them at once rather than collapsing into Three Stooges syndrome.