Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

painedforever posted:

They named the ship "Titanic 2: The Unsinkable"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They say those who don't learn from history repeat it. Well, we learned the names of things that went wrong from history and that means if we name our poo poo after those things they can't go wrong again. Right?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

nine-gear crow posted:

I have since found out that EVERY ship in the Sovereign Colonies fleet is named after a disastrous venture of one form or another, not just the Roanoke! :eng101:

What!?

Where is this list? I must see this list!

... there's probably a damned fandom page for it, isn't there...

https://deadspace.fandom.com/wiki/Sovereign_Colonies_Armed_Forces#Navy

I don't see it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

painedforever posted:

What!?

I don't see it.

I'm guessing you didn't see "The Terror" either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

What!?

I don't see it.

CMS Roanake

CMS Franklin

CMS Crozier

CMS Greely

CMS Terra Nova

CMS Brusilov

CMS Shackelton

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

Dead Space 3's weapon crafting may not explicitly be very Dead Space but it is extremely good. It's a bit of a damning comparison in terms of tone but back then I was still way into Borderlands 2 and after playing Dead Space 3 I was thinking "this is way better than 8 billion random parts with slightly different stats." Let me make my own extremely goofy weapons!

Agreed! And once you dig into the system past the returning Dead Space weapons and the military-style firearms there are ALL KINDS of weird unique guns and power tools, like the Bolas Repeater and Magnesium Afterburner.

https://i.imgur.com/IPck7Nl.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/4j5YMWM.mp4

I'm certain we'll be seeing everything the game has to offer at some point this time, especially when there are two whole inventories between myself and Crow!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 23, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't know where else to complain about this, i think one of your youtube mods kicked me out of your Burnout stream? lmao

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Listen if you don't pay in advance for your enlightenment sessions I'm gonna have to revoke your chuch membership, that's just how Unitology works now that it's an organized religion okay?? Now hold onto these tin cans and speak clearly into the ECG meter! (I checked and it's cool no one got banned, was just me ending the stream vod to avoid copyright claims)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

CJacobs posted:

Agreed! And once you dig into the system past the returning Dead Space weapons and the military-style firearms there are ALL KINDS of weird unique guns and power tools, like the Bolas Repeater and Magnesium Afterburner.

I'm not big on horror games (jump scares take me the wrong way), but this crafting system really makes me want to play Dead Space 3.

Mind, trying to get all of the achievements would bug me no end, since I don't do co-op either.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Pour one out for Visceral. I don't remember if they made anything after the DLC for this, or if they got shuttered right after that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Breadmaster posted:

Pour one out for Visceral. I don't remember if they made anything after the DLC for this, or if they got shuttered right after that.

They did Battlefield Hardline aka the "let's just rip the pretense away and just portray the cops as a military force" game in 2015 and then were left to twist in oblivion doing nothing for EA for another two years before they were shutdown for good in 2017. Not quite their last game, but just about.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
LOL CARVER ROLLS HIS EYES AND GOES "PFFT" WHEN ISAAC SAYS "IT COULD BE ELLIE" ON THE EUDORA BRIDGE

https://i.imgur.com/6HIrVl0.mp4

And then he spots the mines before everyone else too! Great detail work considering the camera's not even on him at this point in the cutscene!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 24, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

LOL CARVER ROLLS HIS EYES AND GOES "PFFT" WHEN ISAAC SAYS "IT COULD BE ELLIE" ON THE EUDORA BRIDGE

https://i.imgur.com/6HIrVl0.mp4

And then he spots the mines before everyone else too! Great detail work considering the camera's not even on him at this point in the cutscene!

We wrongly poo poo on Carver for being a vacuous dribble brained idiot in the original LP, but he is actually the most observant, cogent and thoughtful member of the main cast upon re-examination, and it's going to make certain actions he takes across the game come across WILDLY differently this time around with that in mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nine-gear crow posted:

They did Battlefield Hardline aka the "let's just rip the pretense away and just portray the cops as a military force" game in 2015 and then were left to twist in oblivion doing nothing for EA for another two years before they were shutdown for good in 2017. Not quite their last game, but just about.

found this really neat site:

https://www.unseen64.net/tag/visceral-games/

Project Ragtag, a third-person action-adventure game set in the Star Wars Universe, was cancelled in 2017. The game was under development by Visceral Games and planned to be published by Electronic Arts. In the end EA shut down Visceral Games, following the game’s irreversible demise.

Led by former Uncharted series Creative director Amy Hennig, Project Ragtag was an ambitious single-player adventure, focused on a ragtag group of space thieves. While it seemed like a sure-hit for a game that started development in 2013, EA cited dwindling interest in single-player experiences as the main reason for its cancellation.

:smith:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Amy Hennig has had every project she's worked on for the last 10 years shot from under her and I feel really bad for her because she's a pretty good writer. And seeing Visceral reduced to toil on Battlefield Arpaio before being wound down in that lovely stupid and wasteful manner feels pretty bad too.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Even though I've come around a bit on the crafting system, I still really dislike Generic Ammo in games, and how it removes the sense of reward from pickups. Instead of being like "oh nice, some ammo for this big weapon", you're just discouraged from using the big weapon at all, because it almost always consumes Generic Ammo less efficiently. And if you run out of ammo for one gun, you've run out of ammo for all guns. I've never played a game where Generic Ammo was implemented well, and Dead Space 3 is no exception.

StillFullyTerrible fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 25, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree with that wholeheartedly. Each weapon tool having its own ammo type a la the previous games would have been perfectly fine imo because there are only 8(+2) base tools, followed by all the tips. Won't spoil the list specifically but it's quite intuitive and the naming scheme is the same for many of the returning weapons! Therefore the generic ammo system is real lame, because in my opinion it really still would have worked the other way.

There's an alternate difficulty mode I'll try to find a way to show off called Pure Survival which does rectify that a little by changing things such that ammo itself doesn't drop from boxes or enemies anymore. You have to craft however much you think you will need at benches like in the old Dead Space games, and crafting material collection (particularly scrap metal) is increased just a bit to help out because stasis packs and medkits don't spawn either. It's a lot of fun!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 25, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

SIGSEGV posted:

Amy Hennig has had every project she's worked on for the last 10 years shot from under her and I feel really bad for her because she's a pretty good writer. And seeing Visceral reduced to toil on Battlefield Arpaio before being wound down in that lovely stupid and wasteful manner feels pretty bad too.

I'm such a fan of Amy Hennig. It's entirely because of the Legacy of Kain games, but still.

I think she's getting a second chance at Star Wars. It's not my favourite property so far as movies are concerned by the Expanded Universe always had so much potential (y'know, before Disney).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

Led by former Uncharted series Creative director Amy Hennig, Project Ragtag was an ambitious single-player adventure, focused on a ragtag group of space thieves. While it seemed like a sure-hit for a game that started development in 2013, EA cited dwindling interest in single-player experiences as the main reason for its cancellation.

It's still as ridiculous to read now as it was then.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Even though I've come around a bit on the crafting system, I still really dislike Generic Ammo in games, and how it removes the sense of reward from pickups. Instead of being like "oh nice, some ammo for this big weapon", you're just discouraged from using the big weapon at all, because it almost always consumes Generic Ammo less efficiently. And if you run out of ammo for one gun, you've run out of ammo for all guns. I've never played a game where Generic Ammo was implemented well, and Dead Space 3 is no exception.

I think generic ammo in Dead Space 3 works about as well as it can, in no small part because it has focused so much on just the action. Whether you're the type to find a combo and stick with it or change up your weapons every workbench you're always just going to be able to use what you make. In a game that wanted to be more horror that would be bad, in a game that nudges you toward guns for certain situations that would also be bad, but for a game that just hands you a buffet table of options you always have available generic ammo exists just to let you keep moving.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

precision posted:

... EA cited dwindling interest in single-player experiences as the main reason for its cancellation.

"Dwindling interest" my arse. People that like singleplayer games haven't gone anywhere. (Also, look at juggernauts like Skyrim). Publishers just like multiplayer games because they're typically cheaper to make, so they spend more to market them, creating that familiar self-fulfilling prophecy where they fund more of the same thing because more people buy that kind of thing because that's what's getting made and what they know exists due to the marketing, so they fund more of the same thing, etc, etc.

Sorry, this kind of thing always makes me see red - and totally not because I'm old enough to remember early betrayals like Quake and Unreal both abruptly shifting from singpleplayer to multiplayer in the late nineties, nope. :corsair:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That sentiment is cyclical. Devs purport that single player is dead, then some other developer willing to take that risk has a runaway singleplayer hit and everyone else follows suit.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Antistar01 posted:

Sorry, this kind of thing always makes me see red - and totally not because I'm old enough to remember early betrayals like Quake and Unreal both abruptly shifting from singpleplayer to multiplayer in the late nineties, nope. :corsair:

The irony of course being that Unreal Tournament 2004 ended up being more fun as singleplayer (with bots) than Unreal 2 did. :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

painedforever posted:

I'm such a fan of Amy Hennig. It's entirely because of the Legacy of Kain games, but still.

I think she's getting a second chance at Star Wars. It's not my favourite property so far as movies are concerned by the Expanded Universe always had so much potential (y'know, before Disney).
Burning down the expanded universe set after RotJ is pretty much the only sensible thing that Disney did with the Star Wars franchise. Of course, after that came the three movies and didn't improve anything so I guess that everybody got screwed over by the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One more bonus feature for now and then it's back to our business on the Roanoke!

Dead Space 3, for how grand in scale it takes the series, is actually a pretty snug adventure. There are in reality only a handful of 'rooms'... and there is detail to be found in every single corner of each. Here's just one chapter. Let's take a closer look at Luna and the various stories Visceral managed to tell by visuals alone, in what would be their final Potemkin village. The moon is an awful place, EarthGov is endlessly intrusive, Isaac and Ellie's relationship was real, and the Eudora crew are the Quad-A superstars that will save the galaxy. Pause anywhere!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SettingSun posted:

That sentiment is cyclical. Devs purport that single player is dead, then some other developer willing to take that risk has a runaway singleplayer hit and everyone else follows suit.

yeah it's especially a kick in the nerts that Fallen Order came out literally right after and was a smash. EA is monumentally dumb

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sylphosaurus posted:

Burning down the expanded universe set after RotJ is pretty much the only sensible thing that Disney did with the Star Wars franchise.

You monster! They tried to kill Dash Rendar!

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 3, for how grand in scale it takes the series, is actually a pretty snug adventure. There are in reality only a handful of 'rooms'... and there is detail to be found in every single corner of each. Here's just one chapter.

I played the first game, and there's a lot of backtracking, but sometimes it feels as though there are multiple paths you could take, like in areas where you have multiple objectives, and can do them in any order. Is this one even more linear?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It varies! The game will soon present us with the ability to travel to the rest of the SCAF fleet at our leisure, but once you get inside the ships it becomes a different but still linear adventure through each. Unlocking and powering on the ships in question will open their doors, turning them into vaguely openly explorable locations! in addition, there IS an objective like the one from Dead Space 1's medical deck wherein you needed a shock pad and thermite, we'll see it much much later on and it's quite expansive with a whole facility to explore!

edit: We're actually gonna do it in a different order from the original LP even, just because you can! You can even still change your current quest objective via the tab menu which we'll show off later when we can do so.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 26, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm honestly just really really impressed they managed to make the game feel so big. That video is comprised of 8 hours of me and crow freecam-ing around looking at literally unique, never repeated assets and details. Chapter 1 of Dead Space 3 is fifteen rooms, directly according to the game files which stream assets in:

- Isaac's Apartment
- Apartment Hallway
- Apartment Front Terrace
- Sewer Ravine
- Maintenance Interior
- Back Alley
- Freeway
- DredgerCorp Building
- DredgerCorp Offices
- Mall Hallway
- Gift Shop
- Main Street
- Subway Entrance
- Train Hangar
- Train Escape

And... that's it. They created an entire moon, a whole world of people and their lovely daily lives and lovely general existence, and they show you who is responsible and how EarthGov's overreach is the cause in the public's eyes, and show you how it affects the people like Isaac and Ellie in that world, and how people turn to radical evangelists like Danik to escape it, out of fifteen rooms and twenty minutes you NEVER RETURN TO. And it's really beautiful to me.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 26, 2022

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The chapter 1 area was originally going to be a lot bigger, wasn't it? I saw somewhere recently that there's some unused concept art of it that gave that impression, at least. I guess it was probably in Noah Caldwell-Gervais' video essay on the Dead Space series, since I coincidentally watched that just before this LP went up. (Spoilers for the whole series in that video, by the way.)

That might explain all the detail and world-building packed into that area.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

The irony of course being that Unreal Tournament 2004 ended up being more fun as singleplayer (with bots) than Unreal 2 did. :v:

Oof, Unreal 2. What a mess. :negative:

I guess Epic did come back around to singleplayer games later with Gears of War, at least. And (to try to bring this back to Dead Space somehow) with the third-person cover-shootering in Gears of War being so influential, I wonder if it was part of the reason Dead Space is third-person, rather than first person. I've always found third-person to be a pretty weird choice for horror games; first-person is a lot scarier, surely!

I was pretty disappointed by Dead Space when it first came out. Prior to release, I'd been told by games media that it was a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 (notably a first-person game) - but then it turned out to just be a clunky third-person console shooter.

A bit later though I watched a relatively early LP of it, and in it (I think) they described Dead Space as "Resident Evil 4 in space". I'm a big fan of RE4, so thinking of it that way, it clicked a bit better for me and I could enjoy it more.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I love the lack of a HUD in Dead Space. It just makes it all look so clean.

Carver's expressions in that GIF (and the video) are so brilliant. It's how I feel about the story, too. It's not that it's bad, it's just that I liked the original's story better. And Isaac as a faceless, voiceless protagonist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hey buddy i said something very clever in your Division stream and i wanted to post it here for posterity

SHOOT WHAT THOU WILT SHALL BE THE WHOLE OF THE GAME

haha get it, it's like the thing

Mildly Interesting
Nov 24, 2012
So if I'm understanding the setting of this franchise right, there are things like nuclear reactors, but they turn people into tentacle zombies and no one knows what invented them or how they work. And people made a whole bunch of them, and a lot of people worship them and want to be turned into tentacle zombies. And the people who want to be tentacle zombies started a war and they won?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Altman be praised.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Humanity will be made whole

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Row, row, Roanoke, gently down the fleet. Boy does Isaac Clarke wish this was an awful dream.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hell yeah

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Antistar01 posted:

A bit later though I watched a relatively early LP of it, and in it (I think) they described Dead Space as "Resident Evil 4 in space". I'm a big fan of RE4, so thinking of it that way, it clicked a bit better for me and I could enjoy it more.

That’s how the game was described to me too, but I played it years after 3 came out.

It’ll be interesting to compare the remakes of RE4 and DS1 since they’re coming out at the same time, but the original Dead Space was made in the wake of the original RE4.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ah yes, EA making GBS threads all over the studios and IPs they bought - same as it ever was. They've been doing it for at least thirty years now; it makes me think (because again I'm old) of the choice jabs at EA that were included in Ultima VII, presumably while Origin was in the middle of being acquired by them:

quote:

Elements of Ultima VII are inspired by game creator Origin Systems' conflicts with competitor (and later owner) Electronic Arts. Origin Systems' corporate slogan was 'We Create Worlds', while the main antagonist of the story - The Guardian - is presented as a 'Destroyer of Worlds'. The three evil 'Generators' created by The Guardian in the game took the physical shapes of the contemporary Electronic Arts Logo: a cube, a sphere, and a tetrahedron. Elizabeth and Abraham, two apparently benevolent characters who later turn out to be murderers, have the initials "E" and "A".[9] Electronic Arts would acquire Origin later that same year, on September 25, 1992.

In other words, they used the EA logo (at the time) as part of the visual representation of an unambiguously evil invading force.

I guess it's too much to hope that Visceral hid something similar in Dead Space 3 somewhere. You probably can't get away with that sort of thing these days. (And admittedly, in Ultima VII's case, it did technically come out before they were acquired.)

But yeah... non-artists (i.e. scumbag businessmen) making artistic decisions that override the artistic decisions of the artists they're ostensibly employing to make those decisions - what could go wrong?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I definitely didn't mess around with the space exploring areas enough when I played 3. I chalk it up to the vacuum sections of Dead Space 1/2 being kind of time sensitive, you really wanted to get back inside even considering what was inside, so in 3 despite basically no danger from the air it was just find the thing do the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Antistar01 posted:

Ah yes, EA making GBS threads all over the studios and IPs they bought - same as it ever was.

Westwood, man. Westwood.

While I liked the original LP, I do like the focus on the good parts of the game. The LP snark is there, which makes me willing to watch (even though I just saw the original LP a month ago).

The gameplay looks like so much fun.