Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

Westwood, man. Westwood.

While I liked the original LP, I do like the focus on the good parts of the game. The LP snark is there, which makes me willing to watch (even though I just saw the original LP a month ago).

The gameplay looks like so much fun.

Yeah. It's still a lovely game made on the edge of EA's sub-studio mass grave with a gun to Visceral's head, but we all have a better appreciation for it now thanks to time and playing it the way it was meant to be played all the way through now. We're still gonna rag on it wherever for the sake of comedy, but I can say in complete sincerity that I actually rather like the game now, having gone hands deep in the muck with it, whereas last time I was just sitting on the sidelines gawking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
I gotta wonder what the technical decision was to remove carver from spaces he might otherwise have been positioned. Because there's always a whole number of things it could be in any game, right? Maybe it was memory issues, AI weirdness, some special single circumstance that could not be figured out so all instances were cut... Or worse, someone decided it would detract from the differences between one or two player modes.

Having him there would have gone a way to integrate him better into the world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today we turn our RIGs to the great white north... pole, as we breach the first derelict ship of the SCAF fleet in search of two things: a fresh, installable copy of Rosetta Stone, and some classic Dead Space action.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Johnny?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Whaddaya mean "Barqs has bite"?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i am glad that you are still being sponsored by TORX™ brand tungsten bars

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey what is that?

It's a Tungsten Torque Bar!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh yeah...

Was making the weapons OP a decision do you think, or just an unintended consequence of the crafting system? Because on the one hand, it seems as though having a crafting system always makes combat really easy, but on the other, Dead Space 3 doesn't seem to go as hard on horror as it does on action.

By the way, great dodge roll on that ambush. You've basically memorized all of the monster closets, haven't you?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

painedforever posted:

Oh yeah...

Was making the weapons OP a decision do you think, or just an unintended consequence of the crafting system? Because on the one hand, it seems as though having a crafting system always makes combat really easy, but on the other, Dead Space 3 doesn't seem to go as hard on horror as it does on action.

By the way, great dodge roll on that ambush. You've basically memorized all of the monster closets, haven't you?

Isaac knows better than to stand in a one-width closed room with a vent by now. He can just feel a jumpscare coming, the man has some kind of power. The hairs on the back of his neck are like his Spidey-sense.

And regarding the weapons, I think they did intensify the 'punchiness' of them- how, shall we say, Visceral they feel to use. The increased visual fidelity allows for all kinds of fun/gross special effects that add weight to the combat. You can really tell my little plasma cutter is making precision cuts, whereas Crow's rifle is punching right through them! Believe me, though, we're still in the early stages. Things will get complex quickly and the weapon crafting system will matter a little more. Right now we don't have many options for tools/tips, but as they expand so too does our combat potential! It's not so much power as it is utility, just like in all Dead Space games, and it's really cool they kept that aspect! For example in this video I mentioned you can just drill into the dogs' main body and not even bother with the limbs as they're fragile and wiggly, but that is quite wasteful on ammo and takes time. Each decision you make costs you the ability to make a different one, however tiny. Each damage circuit you place into your upper weapon is one which won't currently affect your lower weapon! And so on!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 24, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Game is deeply discounted right now by the way! If what you've seen so far tickles your fancy and you want more limb chopping and gun-shopping without waiting for the LP, I genuinely advise you and a friend press RB to stomp together.

Other two are right alongside it, even! Twenty bucks for all three games plus the Awakened DLC, wowwee.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 24, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(Don't) Call It A Summer Sale: Let's Buy DEAL SPACE 3 - DLC!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

There's a lot of DLC. There's one for, y'know, afterwards (not giving spoilers), but a bunch of them seem to be skins? And weapon upgrades? I think? I'm not sure if those are worth it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

painedforever posted:

There's a lot of DLC. There's one for, y'know, afterwards (not giving spoilers), but a bunch of them seem to be skins? And weapon upgrades? I think? I'm not sure if those are worth it.

They're not, honestly. Dead Space 2 and 3's suit packs and store-based pre-order bonuses are some of the first examples of microtransactions in the industry as an intended form of continual income, and I do genuinely mean the first. Dead Space 2's were intended to support the longevity of its multiplayer by drawing people back to the game. There were articles upon articles about how 3 meanwhile has nearly ten suit packs to buy which DO come with unique cool looking suits and weapon skins... which very much could have been completion bonuses in the game itself. However, there are also a handful of even more scummy DLCs that are a spoiler for a mechanic related to the gameplay which is much more dire, we'll cover the ridiculousness of it... in our own way let's say... when it comes up in the next video.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 26, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

The question of whether the DLC is worth it or now is basically:

Awakened - Did you think the original ending to Dead Space 3 was a satisfactory enough conclusion to the story and the trilogy, or would you like to see more of Isaac and Carver’s story with the risk that it will ruin the original game’s ending for you?

Weapons - Do you want your guns to look funny/cool/have a bunch of OP parts available right from the second you get access to the first Bench?

Suits - Do you want a bunch of lazy reskins of pre-existing suits for Isaac and Carver?

Scavenger Bot Packs - Do you want your little robot buddies to talk to you in weird and snarky voices?

If you have said yes to any of these questions, then Dead Space 3’s DLC catalog is for you!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

"Electronic Arts: It's the (microtransactions) game!"

So, the DLCs are basically crap. I liked where the story ended in the original, thank you. I mean, Awakened left things at a worse point than the base game.

... Do you have them all CJacobs? I know you have Awakened, and you did show off a few suits last time around, but I don't remember if those were DLCs, or unlocks.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I had a couple of DLC suits for Dead Space 1, one had a bunch of cool marker script all over it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

painedforever posted:

"Electronic Arts: It's the (microtransactions) game!"

So, the DLCs are basically crap. I liked where the story ended in the original, thank you. I mean, Awakened left things at a worse point than the base game.

... Do you have them all CJacobs? I know you have Awakened, and you did show off a few suits last time around, but I don't remember if those were DLCs, or unlocks.

I have them all except for the ones regarding the gameplay element that'll come up in the next video. Have specifically avoided purchasing those because you can't toggle individual DLCs for DS3, it was made before that was a thing in Steam/Origin, so if you buy them they're stuck enabled.

The DLC weapon tools and tips are just neat looking reskins with a modification to firerate or reload speed- the line gun I'm currently using is the DLC tip! Dead Space 3 has I think the most suits of any of them even if you DON'T count the duplicates for Carver and don't worry, I played through with my buddy Crow and picked out spots where the DLC suits would look even better than those of the standard game. Because I'm just that crazy meticulous and it's fun!

DreadUnknown posted:

I had a couple of DLC suits for Dead Space 1, one had a bunch of cool marker script all over it.

Dead Space 1 had a really cool Astronaut RIG based on the ones worn by the folks in Extraction and the animated films:

and man it's so cool. I wish it returned in any wearable form!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 29, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i was going through old files and deleting stuff to clear up my HDD and was reminded that I made this video for the old LP.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That video popped into my head recently - probably thanks to this LP of course. I... can't remember the original context. :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Antistar01 posted:

I... can't remember the original context. :v:

ha, me neither!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Has CJacobs been gathered to Altman's bosom? Is he one with the Markers? Has he Ascended?

Altman be praised!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have some really unfortunate and sad news to report, not really time for a content warning- I live with my grandparents, have for several years and recently my grandfather stepped up the verbal abuse to physical assault. It wasn't okay and it wasn't warranted nor gentle. First off I am okay and have a safe place to go, and if you want to know more about what happened there are posts on my YouTube channel's Community tab about the subject. Not really the point of this post but, everything is of course on hold until I find a more permanent safe space (unless you and I get a chance for a check-in stream).

And, also... I want you kind folks to know that I will not give up. Abusers want you to wither and fade away, and I will not, I promise you. Any words of kindness, anyone who can tell me it will be okay after this is over, I will hear your stories too. Feel free to DM/PM me. This world won't be a lonely place like they want it to be. Remember: Unitologists are all real stupid but their methodology is truth, just misappropriated- through togetherness we will overcome this pain.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 27, 2022

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I’m sorry this happened to you, and am glad to hear you have a place where you are safe.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Glad to know you have found a safe place to be.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Good to know you have a safe place to be. It's gonna be rough, but you'll get through this.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Glad you're okay even though that's a lovely thing to have to deal with. Take all the time you need.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

that is terrible, what a lovely thing to do to someone :(

i'm glad you are safe

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well gee, now I feel like an rear end.

Stay safe, dude.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Good go, I am so sorry CJ, no one should have to deal with that. Be safe, and good fortune.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Everything is okay.

https://twitter.com/CJacobsLP/status/1580890428790145025?s=20&t=_BNyvOf7_BR5USSgmKym5w

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWPr1ZXwe0Y

PREMIUM personality.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol tbh this makes me want to make my own DLC pack amd sell it for 5 bux. is it hard to make mods?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Hey look! It's a comback!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, you can't call it that!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
call it deez nuts

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Remember when microtransactions were actually micro? Yeah, me neither.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
horse armour but for SCAF bots

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

call it deez nuts

"Hey look! It's a deez nuts!"

No, doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Isaac on deez nuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

If he can't come to me, I'm a-gonna go to him. That Mississippi River, Lord? I'm gonna swim.