Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hell yeah! Welcome back, CJacobs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Shoot off Visari's limbs.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

CJacobs posted:

If he can't come to me, I'm a-gonna go to him. That Mississippi River, Lord? I'm gonna swim.

"Tucker"?

They sound like folks out of Red vs Blue.

Also, Praise Altman and gently caress Musk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

"Tucker"?

They sound like folks out of Red vs Blue.

Also, Praise Altman and gently caress Musk.

I love that in the several months since we recorded that episode, Elon Musk has somehow found a way to be an ever bigger assrocket than he was at the time I made all those jokes about him.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
"The worst action figure and hes unboxing himself" is a top-tier joke, and I appreciate it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i am pleased to see altman jr again, the lil scamp

i am very very happy to see cjacobs again!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What could be more appropriate than paying $5 to be told you aren't adequate and then paying even more for the chance to be slightly more adequate.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DreadUnknown posted:

"The worst action figure and hes unboxing himself" is a top-tier joke, and I appreciate it.

:tipshat:

i have my moments haha

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

"I never wanted to hurt anybody."
- Tucker Edwards, man who hurt everyone he knew and then some. Welcome to the Conning Tower!

There were a few text logs that went unseen in the video: The former by Commander Dietz herself paints a portrait of someone stern who is handling a ship already sinking before there are any holes in it, and tells a familiar story to anyone who knows about the Marker's magic. The latter by Edwards, well... details the toll it takes when you do what he did to avoid complying with Scenario Five.

And, a snippet of the usual behind the scenes disasterpiece documentation which was originally for the folks on Patreon: Between Episode 5 and the creation and recording of this one, my operating system hard drive failed! This meant I lost all of my editing presets including project files, microphone and audio customization, transitions and video effects, you name it. It was basically the worst thing I could have lost aside from the footage itself. BUT the good news is, all my documentation and using these effects all over the place during the LP helped get things back in working order MUCH more quickly! I feel like Isaac himself running around patching up holes in the Ishimura sometimes.

As an example of the effort which goes into each video effect that appears on screen, no matter how minor, here is a crappy placeholder overlay I made for the version we commentated over after the drive failure:

And here is the progression toward the finished version which appears in the episode:

I love this one personally but it's way too bright for Dead Space

And for your curiosity, the nicely nicely organized Photoshop layers for said overlay!

Basically every "mechanical part" on the overlay has its own group, with a highlight and emboss to give it depth or a three dimensional appearance. The idea is to mimic the game's interface stylistically and use personalized creativity to keep them visually separate. From there it's just a matter of adding texture and color, cutting the shapes to fit, and saving the layers separately to animate them! Though it only takes a few sentences to describe the process, in reality hours of love pass by while making each of these fun, intricate designs! Please feel free to really soak 'em in whenever you spot one. Not just mine but Visceral's too!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 18, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Excited for this one to drop... one because it was a lot of fun to do, of course, but more so we can all revel in the LP curse and failed HDDs!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And now you shall know the wisdom of backups, and then you shall discover the joy of trying to recover from untested backups.

Also, drat, you put a lot of work into your video editing craft.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I mean, it feels dickish when you're playing it, but I do like the set-up of the Conning Tower. It's a change from the usual "walk-through-corridors-attacked-by-necromorphs" thing of Dead Space.

But frankly, Tucker doesn't sound like he's smart enough to program the computer into doing his bidding and building traps...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

I mean, it feels dickish when you're playing it, but I do like the set-up of the Conning Tower. It's a change from the usual "walk-through-corridors-attacked-by-necromorphs" thing of Dead Space.

But frankly, Tucker doesn't sound like he's smart enough to program the computer into doing his bidding and building traps...

It's quite interesting to contrast Tucker's characterization, by both others and himself, as this lazy, selfish, stupid prick during the "heyday" of the SCAF expedition to Tau Volantis, vs. how he acts during and after Scenario 5 when the poo poo hits and fan and he goes into raw survival mode. He was actually quite clever and motivated when his own rear end was on the line, and yet still overwhelmingly selfish, that part stays consistent pre- and post-massacre.

It is also kind of ironic and very fitting that the guy nobody liked or who never really fit in with anyone else, even from the moment the Terra Nova deshocked into orbit above Tau Volantis, winds up being the guy who ends up all alone and isolated with everyone in his life dead around him and no means to escape the hell he helped build for himself both intentionally and inadvertently but a bullet, a bullet that it turns out had his name on it for a long time...

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

altman be hardnfard

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's quite interesting to contrast Tucker's characterization, by both others and himself, as this lazy, selfish, stupid prick during the "heyday" of the SCAF expedition to Tau Volantis, vs. how he acts during and after Scenario 5 when the poo poo hits and fan and he goes into raw survival mode. He was actually quite clever and motivated when his own rear end was on the line, and yet still overwhelmingly selfish, that part stays consistent pre- and post-massacre.

It is also kind of ironic and very fitting that the guy nobody liked or who never really fit in with anyone else, even from the moment the Terra Nova deshocked into orbit above Tau Volantis, winds up being the guy who ends up all alone and isolated with everyone in his life dead around him and no means to escape the hell he helped build for himself both intentionally and inadvertently but a bullet, a bullet that it turns out had his name on it for a long time...

Almost like his entire life there was a void looking to be filled...some sort of dead space.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

altman be hardnfard

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MA-Horus posted:

Almost like his entire life there was a void looking to be filled...some sort of dead space.

between Tucker, Isaac, and Carver, it's not just Dead Space singular... but

Dead

Space

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sally posted:

between Tucker, Isaac, and Carver, it's not just Dead Space singular... but

Dead

Space

Wait wait wait.

Tucker is Dead, that makes sense. Isaac is... Space because... Arthur C. Clarke wrote Rama and 2001...? And Carver is 3...? Is that a reference to The Prisoner?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

biosterous posted:

altman be hardnfard

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
BOTH COUNTRY SONGS ARE MISSPELLED

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i see nothing wrong with Hard n'Fard

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I was made the hers

She was made the mine

Like corn, bread, and butter

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
make whole the us

altman n'praised

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A handy link to The Extreme Music Library.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

Wait wait wait.

Tucker is Dead, that makes sense. Isaac is... Space because... Arthur C. Clarke wrote Rama and 2001...? And Carver is 3...? Is that a reference to The Prisoner?

Tucker is Dead. Carver is a Space marine. And Isaac is the 3rd person in relationship between Ellie and Norton.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Tucker is Dead. Carver is a Space marine. And Isaac is the 3rd person in relationship between Ellie and Norton.

Oh blargh.

:eng99:

Sally posted:

altman n'praised

Hey! You keep that fatted calf nonsense out of this holy place.

Altman Be Praised. Get it right.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Altman be Ballin'

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space will return shortly, but first...

Callisto was seriously amazing. The gameplay was so uniquely designed and interesting, the story hard a thumping heartbeat, and the graphics and sound gave it untold atmosphere for a world that quite literally hasn't been represented before. Without borrowing from a playbook of tropes besides the creators' own, Callisto Protocol grew into something really cool. As a brand new way to represent our galaxy, a new IP I guess, it blossomed from a little seed into a really personal-feeling gribbly flower by the end.

I stood atop Visceral's visual motif and it made me smile so much.

Talk about Callisto in here if you've played it, why not! There doesn't seem to be a thread in Games about it so we can make this be our own temporary Glen Schofield Zone. I've streamed the opening hours if you would like to see them from the perspective of someone who had already beaten and loved it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 5, 2022

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I'm super interested in the whole callisto protocol thing. No way do I afford the hardware or time to play it anytime soon, so a goon let's play would be the next best thing. Maybe a project for when this wraps up?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

CJacobs posted:

Callisto was seriously amazing.

I read a review in which the reviewer said that while it looks gorgeous, the gameplay is confused (it wants you to use melee, but gives you too many guns), and there are too many enemies later on so it loses the tension of a horror game, and just becomes an action game.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lol so it's just like dead space in that regards where you turn into the god-avatar of STOMP against waves of necros

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

painedforever posted:

I read a review in which the reviewer said that while it looks gorgeous, the gameplay is confused (it wants you to use melee, but gives you too many guns), and there are too many enemies later on so it loses the tension of a horror game, and just becomes an action game.

Quoting myself from the PYF Little Things thread where I gushed about its possibilities for quite a while- it doesn't even pretend to be a horror game, not for a moment, don't worry. It's an action/thriller.

CJacobs posted:

I backtracked a couple times to a previous store so I'm not sure what that complaint is about, usually you can't return to previous rooms in the middle of a chapter because An Elevator Shaft collapsed when you got on it or something. Seems pretty standard for gaming to me.

The gameplay of Callisto is awesome, they give you several ways to mitigate having multiple threats in an encounter including the ability to pick em up and toss them at each other and then just run up and pick one to focus on.

It is NOT a game where you must only wait for enemies to run straight at you and then ADADAD till it's your turn and that's great! You have a Power Attack that knocks away even the strongest enemies several feet for breathing room. You can't heal in combat but stomping on a corpse will drop healing gel so you're encouraged to be very aggressive. There is no timing to the Dodge and you can just hold a direction as an enemy comes at you for fun cinematic flair and poo poo. They give you one tool at a time and the way your move set organically opens up without really unlocking much new is great. I got one new tool and 20 ways to use it immediately! Several times I thought independently of an advantageous way to use my moves to get out of sticky situations. I've escaped grabs by just shooting the bastard before it reached me.

A lot of the complaints I've seen seem to stem from folks just reading the tutorials and they go in one ear and out the other. Reviewers cherry picking some of the most linear sequences etc.

Genuinely give it a chance. It absolutely deserves one.

CJacobs posted:

For example, play Callisto like Resident Evil 4 exactly and it still works. Shoot enemies in the knees until they hobble and then run straight up to the bastard and suplex his rear end. Got an enemy with ranged projectiles? Pick one up out of the air and throw it back at him or just pick the bastard up and draw him to you so you can beat on him. The possibilities are just all over the game waiting for you to think of them.

If you'd like to see all that in motion I'm streaming it right now!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 7, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You are the first person I’ve seen viewing the game positively. I find it frustrating and vapid and I’m *trying* to like it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

very good stream

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Maximilian rage quitted and uninstalled the game on live stream. Though that probably says more about streamer mentality than the game itself. Still it was funny.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WaltherFeng posted:

Maximilian rage quitted and uninstalled the game on live stream. Though that probably says more about streamer mentality than the game itself. Still it was funny.

This is why I stream and LP still, in a nutshell. Someone needs to give games like this a fair chance, and audiences deserve somebody to watch that isn't being a manbaby. I checked out the stream and was sad to see that he simply wasn't using the systems, at all, and then just quit. If we, here, stop, then jerks like that will eventually be all that's left. It's worth it to continue to deeply examine fresh art even if it's a video game instead of a painting on the wall, to keep the spirit of fair analysis of media like this alive.

SettingSun posted:

You are the first person I’ve seen viewing the game positively. I find it frustrating and vapid and I’m *trying* to like it.

You deserve big points for genuinely trying to like it though, regardless. Just giving the game a chance to prove itself in general.

That's kinda why I'm being so relentlessly positive about it. More players should approach video games with an attitude like that in my opinion, the idea that it might not be immediately appealing and that's ok. Callisto sure wasn't to me, I almost quit after the opening act's gorefest, but it grew on me so very fast after that. I feel there are so many others who could have that experience, not just with Callisto but... anything. I attempted to eat spinach as an adult and it tastes like a wet dish rag and I dunno why anyone likes it, but there are so many wonderful dishes to be made with it that it was worth seeing if I liked spinach!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 7, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

CJacobs posted:

it grew on me so very fast

oh poo poo the corruption got on cj

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
wtf you don't like spinach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU