Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

good news: we are all in it together

bad news: we all have depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

good news: we are all in it together

bad news: we all have depression

Always have.
People just didn't understand that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Depression is pretty much unheard of in hunter gatherer societies. It seems like civilization is the problem and so the solution is that we should all go out and poison the water s of our discontent. With medication.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Depression is pretty much unheard of in hunter gatherer societies. It seems like civilization is the problem and so the solution is that we should all go out and poison the water s of our discontent. With medication.

I'm glad that hunter gatherer societies frequently have professionally trained individuals amongst them able to properly diagnose and report those statistics which sounds 100% accurate without me checking or hearing any of what the millions of qualifications to that statement would surely have to be

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

yeah they never died in car crashes either

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Depression is pretty much unheard of in hunter gatherer societies.

so is poetry

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
no but seriously, i know this makes me an even dumber person, but i am kind of glad of my depression

as king missile said, "pain is better than emptiness, and emptiness is better than nothing"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I get pretty bad depression in the winter. I cope with it. Often watching reruns to avoid sleeping 14+ hours a day, that only prolongs how many months the depression lasted for me, and also made me stiff and feel like more poo poo.

Keeping a proper bed time and forcing myself to stay awake even if it was watching SG-1 yet again. Richard Dean Anderson ask Baal if his name is as in bocce again. :allears: Just find something to pull you out. I've oddly found bottom barrel ad supported phone games where you are more watching ads than playing help. They keep me distracted enough without requiring much input and I can just kinda idle and burn time until I work it out.

But this is a seasonal depression if you suffer from the more year round type I'm not sure it will help, but maybe. Don't pay for the lovely phone games, that's a rabbit hole of being bored by them and broke.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

precision posted:

no but seriously, i know this makes me an even dumber person, but i am kind of glad of my depression

as king missile said, "pain is better than emptiness, and emptiness is better than nothing"

King missile is a dumbfuck. Non-existence is obviously better than existence. If our instincts didn't force us to avoid pain and favour life over death we'd all kill ourselves when we had our first tantrum at like 2 years old.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
not currently depressed but I do get pretty loving bad anxiety and just spiral hard sometimes. i usually just watch a bunch of space poo poo and it makes everything I'm worried about seem super insignificant and it turns me around which is the weirdest coping mechanism I've developed

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

precision posted:

godliness is emptiness and emptiness is cleanliness and cleanliness is friendliness and god is friendly just like me

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

id rather not have depression, personally

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

If our instincts didn't force us to avoid pain and favour life over death we'd all kill ourselves when we had our first tantrum at like 2 years old.

You ever interacted with a 2 year old?

It's non stop suicide attempts. They don't even realize it, it's a subconscious drive.

That's why we have to watch them all the time to prevent them self terminating until they get smart enough to fear death.

That, uh, takes awhile.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pixaal posted:

I get pretty bad depression in the winter. I cope with it. Often watching reruns to avoid sleeping 14+ hours a day, that only prolongs how many months the depression lasted for me, and also made me stiff and feel like more poo poo.

Keeping a proper bed time and forcing myself to stay awake even if it was watching SG-1 yet again. Richard Dean Anderson ask Baal if his name is as in bocce again. :allears: Just find something to pull you out. I've oddly found bottom barrel ad supported phone games where you are more watching ads than playing help. They keep me distracted enough without requiring much input and I can just kinda idle and burn time until I work it out.

But this is a seasonal depression if you suffer from the more year round type I'm not sure it will help, but maybe. Don't pay for the lovely phone games, that's a rabbit hole of being bored by them and broke.

There are multiple, accessible fixes to avoid....ALL of this with almost no effort on your part, no lifestyle changes, etc. All of this can go away.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Big Beef City posted:

There are multiple, accessible fixes to avoid....ALL of this with almost no effort on your part, no lifestyle changes, etc. All of this can go away.

That's not what I'm saying sorry if it read like that. Different things work for different people. I still have months every year where I barely have the motivation to drag myself out of bed. I'm trying to instill that there is hope for everyone to find a way to manage and live with it.

Obviously this is not applicable to all depressions.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

people are going to take this seriously, but it’s what’s known as a joke

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Buce posted:

people are going to take this seriously, but it’s what’s known as a joke

If the cave people were depressed I think they would have written about it on the cave walls.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Here's a really good lecture that helped me understand the actual biological component of depression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

tl;dr if a fat person tells you they're depressed, they're probably not depressed

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i was depressed once, until i grabbed onto both my bootstraps and pulled really hard, lifting me up into the sky, whereupon i did a backflip and came back down landing perfectly on my feet.
mentally, of course. if i tried to do that physically, i would've broken my back.

i would share with you how i did it, but you'd need to become a (figurative) demon slayer and i don't think you're ready, op. also you need to learn how to use nunchaku.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Meme Poker Party posted:

If the cave people were depressed I think they would have written about it on the cave walls.

I saw a dope documentary on this recently and it's pretty much all "look at these cool animals we hunt and have a spiritual connection with", "check out this babe with booty for days" and "lol, penis".

Not a single sad face emoji in sight.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Hey op have you tried any ssris? There are a bunch and some work for some people and some don’t.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
op just curious are you in philly

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ride a bike op

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

AHH F/UGH posted:

Here's a really good lecture that helped me understand the actual biological component of depression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

tl;dr if a fat person tells you they're depressed, they're probably not depressed

What an abso loving lutely stupid thing to say

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
i love advice like "just get some friends" lmao bro im in my 30s. why dont I just go to the FRIEND STORE where all the cool friends hang out just itching to spend their valuable time with weird terminally single losers who have strong opinions about pc games and capitalism

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

dsf posted:

i love advice like "just get some friends" lmao bro im in my 30s. why dont I just go to the FRIEND STORE where all the cool friends hang out just itching to spend their valuable time with weird terminally single losers who have strong opinions about pc games and capitalism

exactly

i mean, i can and will rant to the dollar heneral employees about how much i hate living in a capitalist regime

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

dude is a good lecturer

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alan Watts is my go to. say whatever about his personal life, his lectures were totally on point

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you should listen to terrence mckenna op :birddrugs: :shroom:

dk2m
May 6, 2009
sad brains cannot be cured. Sad brains is your rational ability to doubt gone overboard. See a professional sure! It didn’t matter for me, because they just thought in the exact same way that onsets depression in the first place. What finally did it was to go through it - to believe in something and stick with it. Life is meaningless, things suck, suffering is the default state of being but doubling down on that and making a decision to overcome, and not just hide, to truly believe in something while doubt wants to tear me down, made life playful and something to look forward to. Good luck homie

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dsf posted:

if you strike the 'cool' from that sentence that's basically every makerspace I've ever been to. i feel like the bigger barrier for the average goon is other lonely nerds potentially having the wrong strong opinion about PC games tho

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 13, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

What an abso loving lutely stupid thing to say

No, no, it's true I've known probably one fat person in my life and I told them exactly why they shouldn't be depressed every single time I saw them and made sure everyone else did too and they never got the hint because of how stupid fat people are.

Well you can lead a fat to the buffet as they say am I right ha ha ha

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dsf posted:

Basically.

I also love the fact that the few friends I do have all choose everything else over me to spend their time on.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frb1TqqJptc

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Pet peeve: All of the people not suffering from actual clinical depression with their easy-mode wisdom about how to simply get over depression. In my experience, they also tend to get annoyed when the simple things that work for them in order to be happy don't just automatically work for a severely depressed person.

With my family, I've received the advice of "just go outside and do something fun!" over and over and over and over for years. I explain that I want to but can't. Can't. CAN'T. They don't understand. To them, if they are bummed and bored, they just stand up and go for a drive and go shopping and hang out with friends and acquaintances. I try to tell them that just the IDEA of walking outside causes enough panic in me to cause me to vomit which means actually going out is absolutely out of the question. But they still insist "just go drive to a park and have a fun picnic!" ......... fuuuuuuuuck. If just reading those words causes me to puke from stress, I CANNOT GO DO IT. Can't! Not avoiding it because I don't want to. CAN'T.

Trying to convey mental illness to those unwilling to try to understand is infuriating and pointless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Catastrophe posted:

Pet peeve: All of the people not suffering from actual clinical depression with their easy-mode wisdom about how to simply get over depression. In my experience, they also tend to get annoyed when the simple things that work for them in order to be happy don't just automatically work for a severely depressed person.

With my family, I've received the advice of "just go outside and do something fun!" over and over and over and over for years. I explain that I want to but can't. Can't. CAN'T. They don't understand. To them, if they are bummed and bored, they just stand up and go for a drive and go shopping and hang out with friends and acquaintances. I try to tell them that just the IDEA of walking outside causes enough panic in me to cause me to vomit which means actually going out is absolutely out of the question. But they still insist "just go drive to a park and have a fun picnic!" ......... fuuuuuuuuck. If just reading those words causes me to puke from stress, I CANNOT GO DO IT. Can't! Not avoiding it because I don't want to. CAN'T.

Trying to convey mental illness to those unwilling to try to understand is infuriating and pointless.

word

there's also for me a certain annoyance in some advice like "just go hang out around people with similar interests!" and it's like "my dude, basically the entire reason my sad is so big these days is that i keep putting myself out there and getting nowhere"

like there's a tendency to assume that every depressed person is lying in bed doing nothing and for me, i only lay in bed doing nothing when life is totally awesome, if i lay in bed doing nothing when things suck all i do is think about how bad things suck and that is worse!

so all day every day i keep trying and i keep failing and the feedback loop as ITT outlined by another poster of like, the longer it goes on the more crazy and desperate you come off as which just turns people away MORE haha

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Catastrophe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbLhHtaVIO4

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Catastrophe posted:

do you really think goons are not familiar with depression

yeah no poo poo generic depression advice doesn't work on whatever the gently caress this is, it also won't cure pneumonia. talk someone who's like physically in your area into dragging you kicking and screaming to a headshrinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZatFRUN8D9A

I've got a war in the head.
Fear our lives won't pass as great events.
A better prospect hides up ahead.
Do you feel it in the air?
We've been crushed beyond oblivion.
Farce and death walk hand in hand.
Graves and memorial walls hold my family name.
Pills and bottles do the same. I hope that freedom's coming our way.