Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
it's the flavor
hot banana
stoke gunner
fridge magnet
bon goku
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tfw you tell everyone ur depressed, so they give you their depression home remedies, but none of that makes the demons stop talking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

do you really think goons are not familiar with depression

yeah no poo poo generic depression advice doesn't work on whatever the gently caress this is, it also won't cure pneumonia. talk someone who's like physically in your area into dragging you kicking and screaming to a headshrinker

Yes, I really think that many here are not familiar with actual, actual, actual depression. Actual depression. Not "I feel sad sometimes" bullshit. Actual clinical depression. Yes, I 100% believe way too many feel they understand because they felt sad once. That's cemented in place by the BS advice I've received from people here over the years.

And about going to a "headshrinker" for therapy... yeah, again an out of touch clueless response. I stopped getting unemployment last September. I still can't find a job. I'm poor as hell. I have no health insurance because, duh, I can't afford it. Again, "just go do this one simple thing!" is nonsense, clueless advice from someone who has no clue.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Catastrophe posted:

Yes, I really think that many here are not familiar with actual, actual, actual depression. Actual depression. Not "I feel sad sometimes" bullshit. Actual clinical depression. Yes, I 100% believe way too many feel they understand because they felt sad once. That's cemented in place by the BS advice I've received from people here over the years.

And about going to a "headshrinker" for therapy... yeah, again an out of touch clueless response. I stopped getting unemployment last September. I still can't find a job. I'm poor as hell. I have no health insurance because, duh, I can't afford it. Again, "just go do this one simple thing!" is nonsense, clueless advice from someone who has no clue.

Its probably because you want to run the game game and not play it. Youre the genius.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
If your'e too arrogant to understand your place in reality it can be pretty hard.

If you want to earn money and live, normal people need to be able to deal with your attitude.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

i agree 100%.

only my feelings are real.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I'm a complete nihilist but i'm not dead and need money, so i do reality pretty well, it feels good too.

It has to feel good, help others if you cant find the spark in yourself easily.

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 13, 2022

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

paxil and bupropion and ativan are :cloudnine:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Catastrophe posted:

rich/wealthy people get depressed too

i dont feel bad about that, just thought you should know

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

not sure if my disinterest in my old hobbies is due to depression, or if I've just grown apart from it. i should've probably tried to tackle this stuff earlier

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

I think you may be disregarding the experiences of others too strongly.

You are obviously deep, deep in the loving pit, but yours is not the One True Depression.

Just know you aren't the only one in the world that feels the way you do. Some of the advice might help. And some is useless platitudes. But when you start thinking "I am the only one who feels this way, and nobody can understand" kind of stuff, it's just digging in deeper.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I want to be a skate baorder right, and I cant and Im jut so angry 24/7 about it that I sniff glue now

I could afford real drugs, but its not in character.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

do you really think goons are not familiar with depression

yeah no poo poo generic depression advice doesn't work on whatever the gently caress this is, it also won't cure pneumonia. talk someone who's like physically in your area into dragging you kicking and screaming to a headshrinker

Welcome to Catastrophe-posting

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

I want to be a skate baorder right, and I cant and Im jut so angry 24/7 about it that I sniff glue now

I could afford real drugs, but its not in character.

i forced myself to go out at 4am everyday for two years and taught myself to rollerblade inline skate.

dreams are possible, skate baord your way out of depression! i did it, so can you! :skateboard:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Strumpie posted:

i forced myself to go out at 4am everyday for two years and taught myself to rollerblade inline skate.

dreams are possible, skate baord your way out of depression! i did it, so can you! :skateboard:

I mean that part really does kinda suck though.

The "I did it you should be able to, too" thing.
I think you're just loving around but the people who do think "actually just go lift brah" are dumb

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
you could also use the skate baord to skate away from your depression.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've got depression but I don't let it get me down

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Big Beef City posted:

I mean that part really does kinda suck though.

The "I did it you should be able to, too" thing.
I think you're just loving around but the people who do think "actually just go lift brah" are dumb

Roller blading is gay as gently caress

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I was retarded and couldnt do some sports.

But I found retarded sports I could do

Now Im Cheif of the retards

It feel good and also keeps down my urges that may become violent crimes.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you're gonna get probed

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I just did something dumb and lost a few grand. My 80yr old next door neighbour tried to cheer me up using his ancient wisdom by telling me about his mate who did a similar thing.

He came back round yesterday and announced that lad hanged himself yesterday.

grrrrreat. lol

stay strong peeps.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 13, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Defining depression as one singular individual thing is dumb. Another thing that's dumb is getting mad at people for sharing 'conventional wisdom' about depression (things like exercise, eat healthier, get some sun, etc) because all of those things are among the top treatments for depression, regardless of whether it's minor situational depression or "I've been institutionalized 4 times and am 'clinically depressed' " depression, and a proper treatment plan for depression will always involve them. In most cases, any depression that isn't at least partially alleviated by these things is the result of brain damage or severe mental health disorders apart from Major Depressive Disorder. In those cases getting in therapy or counseling or whatever is even more important because there's clearly something underlying the depression that needs to be treated.

No matter how "clinically depressed" you are (because any diagnosed depression is technically clinical, and what people used to call "clinical depression" is actually called Major Depressive Disorder and the "clinical depression" nomenclature is based on a very naive and ancient mental healthcare landscape - which makes use of the term "clinical depression" usually pretty ironic because it's generally used by people who do not and have not sought actual mental healthcare) then the 'easy depression hacks' still apply unless a neurologist has told you that they do not (and no neurologist will ever tell you that because even if they're not 100% sure it's better to suggest those things).

But 'easy depression hacks' aren't a "depression cure". They are things you can do to nudge your brain chemistry toward a more peaceful state of mind. Our understanding of the ways that environment alters brain chemistry has grown exponentially in the last decade and what used to be referred to as "chemical imbalance" is essentially a symptom of underlying causes, it's not some 'unfixable' thing that just causes you to be sad or depressed, and blaming even Major Depressive Disorder on "chemical imbalance" or "bad brain chemistry" is naive and based on outmoded understanding of the brain.

The real kick in the balls about depression is that we have no tools or technology that will let us peer into someone's brain and determine why they are depressed and what they need to do to alleviate it. That's not something that even the best psychiatrist, therapist, or neurologist can just tell you. It's a deeply personal quest to figure it out. The mental health field in the context of depression exists not to "fix your depression", but to rule out underlying medical/dietary/nutritional/etc causes and then educate you on how your thoughts, emotions and behaviors work and interact with one another so that you can begin to put the puzzle together on your own. Because the puzzle is in your head, and you're the only one who can reach it there. The entire process is difficult and painful because it forces you to reflect on things that your brain is naturally designed to never reflect on. It might take a long time, or several medications, or failed starts or giving an earnest long-term try at things that don't seem to help, and some people never see results - but it's not because "therapy doesn't help them", it's because they don't do the internal work to apply that therapy to their own personal situation, they don't put the puzzle together themselves, and they expect doctors to just fix depression for them. Maybe you haven't been taught the right puzzle-solving technique or whatever but that doesn't mean "therapy doesn't help".

Oh yeah, and I have definitely experienced real true-blue "clinical depression". I started experiencing major depressive episodes and suicidal ideation at the age of 7, raised in a house that didn't believe in mental healthcare where I was told every day that all of my problems were because I was lazy and didn't try hard enough to be happy, got a BS dual-majored in psychology and philosophy then dropped out because I wasn't able to just "fix myself" with that and felt like I was a failure, ended up in therapy, spent 6+ years there, kept a vested interest in reading about mental health and educating myself on my own to get to where I am today - stable and infinitely better than I was from the age of 7-35.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 13, 2022

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
hire a clown to cure your depression.

but doctor, i am the clown!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

they'll be several in the car

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Strumpie posted:

hire a clown to cure your depression.

but doctor, i am the clown!

Just pay yourself duh

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

i want a clown psychiatrist, you're crying and he's just pulling those knotted handkerchiefs out of a pocket

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Heavy lies the head that wears the clown paint

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
:(

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was depressed but I got some white wine in my cup and I feel like everything is gonna be alright for tonight

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
From personal experience, depression, is,bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Like my brain is so loving stupid, I just want to go out and do some poo poo, why can't i just do it, why am i sad and scared constantly, gently caress you my own brain

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

precision posted:

oh i know bout exericise. i've been exercising a lot for a couple years now. i'm actuall kind of in good shape. i mean i've never had an issue with weight but i used to eat really bad and not exercise as much and i was always tired

Exercise doesn’t help depression, the reason people seem to improve after they start exercising is because their depression is starting to go away, so they have more energy to exercise. They proved this by forcing clinically depressed people to exercise. There was no improvement.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The easy depression hack is ECT btw, but I’ve been told they’re phasing it out, which sounds like a terrible mistake to me.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The easy depression hack is ECT btw, but I’ve been told they’re phasing it out, which sounds like a terrible mistake to me.

you can pay $100 to a dominatrix and she'll happily electrocute your balls.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Strumpie posted:

you can pay $100 to a dominatrix and she'll happily electrocute your balls.

I don’t need my balls electrocuted, my brother needs his brain electrocuted and doctors won’t do it because “it’s primitive and we don’t know how it works”. Motherfucker, the how ain’t important! Oh well, he tried mushrooms like I suggest to absolutely everybody, and he’s doing alright for now, but he’s going to end up suicidal again and then we’re gonna have to make a homemade device to do it.

ECT > shrooms

Edit: for therapeutic purposes, shocking yourself is of no value recreationally

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wrap him in tinfoil and stick his dick in a shopvac he's the million dollar man now too advanced for sadness and you are the professor behind this unholy creation God bless

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Wrap him in tinfoil and stick his dick in a shopvac he's the million dollar man now too advanced for sadness and you are the professor behind this unholy creation God bless

My brother only allows himself to be wrapped in tin foil for his baked potato roleplaying.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
OP have you considered opening your heart to Satan?

I was older, depressed and friendless and then I opened my heart to Satan. He told me to get a Heavy Metal 2 guitar pedal (the Swedish Chainsaw) and to start a Black Metal band.

Don’t know how to play guitar? gently caress it, neither does any other Black Metal band. You can join my band and we can write songs about how Lowtax’s corpse is being devoured by fetuses.

:devil::black101::black101::devil:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Shankel Magnus posted:

Don’t know how to play guitar? gently caress it, neither does any other Black Metal band. You can join my band and we can write songs about how Lowtax’s corpse is being devoured by fetuses.

:devil::black101::black101::devil:

I'm actually somewhat sold on this.

I don't care to scream and thrash about the dead bad forums admin, but this seems like a decent philosophy.

Make a lot of noise about silly over the top grim poo poo and rock the gently caress out?

It could work. My dad has an electric he got too old to play...

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
The closest I got to severe depression was a friend that was bi-polar. He carved a cross into his forearm and jumped out of a two-story window.

We visited him in the hospital before he was remanded to a psych ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
joke's on you, i actually DO know how to play guitar and would love to be in a new band!!!

i even like some metal